null character

Adam H. Kerman

May 22, 2021, 9:59:12 AM5/22/21
I made a comment to someone the other day that certain ASCII characters
aren't use and several of the control characters haven't been used since
teletypewriter days.

What about NUL? Does that ever get used in Usenet or email for a
legitimate reason?

Eli the Bearded

May 24, 2021, 1:52:44 PM5/24/21
In alt.dev.null, <!@!.invalid> wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>> I made a comment to someone the other day that certain ASCII characters
>> aren't use and several of the control characters haven't been used since
>> teletypewriter days.

There are legacy uses for some of them. I've seen them in datafeeds from
financial information companies, because they are (were) still using a
protocol compatible with original equipment. I worked on code to
translate it to modern TCP/IP messages in the mid 1990s.

>> What about NUL? Does that ever get used in Usenet or email for a
>> legitimate reason?
> Interesting question. IDK but I guess that Eli might.

Nul is used for C end of string. I think all news software is likely to
cut off the line at the nul and no one will ever see what comes after
it. Whether the line gets joined to the next, or the software "corrects"
the missing CRLF probably depends on the first software to encounter
the nul. Some programs might reject the post entirely as corrupt.

Elijah
------
guessing correction is most common treatment