Re: Investment and disinvestment (was Re: The Simulation Argument - OH MY!)

Wally Chapman

Aug 10, 2009, 4:03:52 PM8/10/09
Ned Ludd wrote:

> [...]
>>> mankind, and that she was instead filled with divine grace. It is
>>> further believed that she lived a life completely free from sin.[1]
>>> Her immaculate conception in the womb of her mother, through sexual
>>> intercourse, should not be confused with the doctrine of the virginal
>>> conception of her son Jesus.
>>> -----
>>> Do you catch this distinction? Jesus' conception did not involve
>>> a penis going into his mother. Mary's conception DID involve a
>>> penis going into HER mother (but she did not inherit the "original
>>> sin" of Adam as a result of it).
>>
>> Indeed, Buddhism, unlike the Brahmanic tradition from which it
>> emerged, has nearly always denied scripture as a valid source of
>> knowledge (pramāna), preferring direct experience (pratyak'a) and
>> valid inference (anumāna).
>> The first, transcendent sense of saddharma, understands the dharma to
>> be more than the literal words of the Buddha and points to truth per
>> se that is to say, dharmat'ā , the real nature of things:
>> interdependent, impermanent, and without abiding self-nature or essence.
>> Thus have I heard
>> This attitude also allows the content of True Dharma to be infinitely
>> variable, admitting of doctrinal diversity, continually adapting to
>> new horizons of spiritual insight as well as new challenges of
>> interpretation at the same time the category of True Teaching
>> continues to be valid.
>> It is often remarked that whereas in the Theravada all that the Buddha
>> spoke is considered to be true, in the Mahayana all that is true is
>> understood to be the word of the Buddha, thus including not only music
>> of John Lennon but even the trees and mountains around us if seen to
>> have a liberating effect. This was indeed the conclusion of Dōgen, the
>> famous Japanese Zen teacher, who, in wondering about several important
>> Zen texts that had long been considered of doubtful origins, concluded
>> that not only are heretical sutras the word of the Buddha when
>> considered by an awakened person, but also everything in nature; the
>> sun, moon, stars, mountains, water, trees, stones is considered a
>> sutra in itself.
>> Orthodoxy, Canon, and Other Buddhist Heresies
>> Jamie Hubbard, Smith College
>>

> Whew! Had me worried there for a sec, Wally. I do hope it was all
> quotation. (Kept banging my head into brain-jarring stuff like "valid...
> knowledge... inference... transcendent... truth per se... real nature
> of things... True Dharma... infinitely... doctrinal... spiritual insight...
> True Teaching..." etc. etc.)
>
> All the above just again proves that Buddha should have kept his
> mouth shut.
>
> But it was a nice Dogen quote. Maybe the only one. Just like it
> says in the Bible: "Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD."
> (Psalms 150:6). Yes indeedie! All things praise the lord! Maybe
> Jamie can use that in his next dilation on Buddhism.

Glad you liked it. It's all a quote, and I prolly shoulda trimmed
everything but the last paragraph, but I figured somebody on here would
most likely dissect it, bit by bit, and point out the illogic of someone
pretending to understand Dogen; they would then refute all of the
definitions, branch off into name-calling, and refer me to some obscure
tract in Amaric, at which point some one else would defend it all as the
word of the Buddha, and we could spin the thing out for several months
and devolve into interesting side trips and flame wars.

Déjà Flu

Aug 10, 2009, 4:29:07 PM8/10/09
Wally Chapman wrote:
> Ned Ludd wrote:
>>
>> "Wally Chapman" <shel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Indeed, Buddhism, unlike the Brahmanic tradition from which it
>>> emerged, has nearly always denied scripture as a valid source of
>>> knowledge (pramᅵ?na), preferring direct experience (pratyak'a) and
>>> valid inference (anumᅵ?na).

>>> The first, transcendent sense of saddharma, understands the dharma to
>>> be more than the literal words of the Buddha and points to truth per
>>> se that is to say, dharmat'ᅵ? , the real nature of things:
>>> interdependent, impermanent, and without abiding self-nature or essence.
>>> Thus have I heard
>>> This attitude also allows the content of True Dharma to be infinitely
>>> variable, admitting of doctrinal diversity, continually adapting to
>>> new horizons of spiritual insight as well as new challenges of
>>> interpretation at the same time the category of True Teaching
>>> continues to be valid.
>>> It is often remarked that whereas in the Theravada all that the
>>> Buddha spoke is considered to be true, in the Mahayana all that is
>>> true is understood to be the word of the Buddha, thus including not
>>> only music of John Lennon but even the trees and mountains around us
>>> if seen to have a liberating effect. This was indeed the conclusion
>>> of Dᅵ?gen, the famous Japanese Zen teacher, who, in wondering about

Shit, I didn't even like DogZen's qualifier.

Ned Ludd

Aug 10, 2009, 4:50:04 PM8/10/09

"Wally Chapman" <shel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Well damn, I hope I didn't derail any potential refutation, name-calling,
spin and flame wars.

But Jamie IS a hose-head, beyond any possibility of doubt. He has a
website, and he seems like a sweet guy. But playing around with Buddhist
concepts when you have an axe to grind will generally result in your
cutting your hand. Even the Tao says that.

Too many words. There's just too damn many words. Too many cars.
Too many kids. Too many lawyers. Too many words. I looked up the
article from which your quote came. I haven't seen that many sanskrit
words thrown around in decades. Makes you want to puke. ("Paravritti" -
revulsion, or 'turning back'.)

So, how'd I do? Did I refute? Did I name-call? Did I spin? Do I
have any hope of starting a flame war?

Ned

Déjà Flu

Aug 10, 2009, 5:03:44 PM8/10/09
Ned Ludd wrote:

> "Wally Chapman" <shel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

wtf is a "hose-head"?

Lee Rudolph

Aug 10, 2009, 7:14:00 PM8/10/09
"Ned Ludd" <ned...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>Makes you want to puke. ("Paravritti" -
>revulsion, or 'turning back'.)

Oh, c'mon now, he's no worse than any of those other tenors.

Lee Rudolph

Wally Chapman

Aug 10, 2009, 9:55:09 PM8/10/09

I used to sing tenor; ten or twelve notes off.

Wally

Ned Ludd

Aug 11, 2009, 9:16:01 AM8/11/09

"Dᅵjᅵ Flu" <cha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> wtf is a "hose-head"?

It's like a hoser. But from America, instead of Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoser

Ned

daletx

Aug 11, 2009, 10:02:24 AM8/11/09

I'm often asked to sing tenor. Tenor twelve miles away.

DT
(Sometimes I'm asked to sing solo. Solo it can't be heard.)

Evelyn

Aug 11, 2009, 7:13:06 PM8/11/09
"Wally Chapman" <shel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Wally you have mastered the Tao of usenet.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipāta 1.8

Wally Chapman

Aug 11, 2009, 10:27:42 PM8/11/09

Ah, thank you, Grasshopper, and you have grown much in your
understanding also.

Wally

Evelyn

Aug 11, 2009, 10:35:37 PM8/11/09
"Wally Chapman" <shel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The more you know the more you find out how little you know....... :-)