The Metro UI-Why it sucks

kelton...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2013, 10:54:24 PM12/3/13
Well, as my first ever post to a newsgroup, I thought I'd analyze in detail why Metro is complete crap. Okay, so it's now called Modern UI but this is not modern in any way, it's all a copy of Windows 1! In fact, let's see how exactly this is supposed to be "modern":
Full screen applications just like DOS
You have to memorize a whole bunch of keyboard commands to get around on a normal desktop computer..... you know, just like DOS and early Windows! This is why I was never a fan of keyboard shortcuts in GUI-based OSes-Even if it takes two more seconds to do something with the mouse instead of using a weird keyboard shortcut!
Tiled windows. You know, like Windows 1!
In fact, I think this parody commercial (not by me) sums it up nicely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLcPbsfF3qI
That aside, the Metro UI is so weird it is a nightmare to support, and it overall bombs for desktop use. It was designed for tablets and phones, but my problem is that if they wanted a tablet or phone interface they could have put it on one of those devices and spared the desktop market of the dumbed-down GUI by making a different version with a different GUI. Also, try to visualize how horrible some of these common desktop applications would look if Metroified-
Any word processor
A web browser
A file explorer
Okay, if I had gone further I would have overloaded Google's servers (just kidding) :P. But seriously, all the functionality of any desktop UI would be ruined if Metroified.

There's my first ever post to a newsgroup.
Message has been deleted

flatfish+++

Dec 4, 2013, 9:34:19 PM12/4/13
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 01:53:29 +0000, RedBlade7 wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:54:24 -0800, keltonkostis wrote:
>
>> the Metro UI is so weird it is a nightmare to support, and it overall
>> bombs for desktop use. It was designed for tablets and phones, but my
>> problem is that if they wanted a tablet or phone interface they could
>> have put it on one of those devices and spared the desktop market of
>> the dumbed-down GUI by making a different version with a different GUI.
>> Also, try to visualize how horrible some of these common desktop
>> applications would look if Metroified-
>
> M$ should have shifted their focus to the M$-dependent business sector
> (e.g. health care).
> Instead M$ went after the "Windows 9x Kids" who, after growing up,
> managed to escape their wrath by using Mac and Linux (including embedded
> versions and Android) and have no reason to return to the Illegal
> Operations, Security Updates, and Service Packs of their childhood.
>
> M$ will never "win" unless they shift their focus to the business
> sector,
> which M$ continually frustrates as they continue wasting time/money on
> the home user.

Wrong.
The business sector is driven by warranty upgrades not operating system
upgrades.

When the warranty on that nice IBM Xserver is up, they trade in for the
latest and greatest because IBM/Dell/HP/etc give them incentives and
credits to do so...

--
flatfish+++
If you are interested in a version of Linux that actually works,try this

Message has been deleted

flatfish+++

Dec 4, 2013, 10:26:16 PM12/4/13
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 03:23:03 +0000, RedBlade7 wrote:

>> M$ will never "win" unless they shift their focus to the business
>>> sector,
>>> which M$ continually frustrates as they continue wasting time/money on
>>> the home user.

Your comment above......

Again, the business sector does not focus on software upgrades but on
warranty exit and warranty upgrades.

IOW, it's the hardware driving the business not the operating system.

Snit

Dec 4, 2013, 11:13:10 PM12/4/13
On 12/4/13, 6:53 PM, in article l7omao$vdm$2...@dont-email.me, "RedBlade7"
<pena...@yomomma.hot> wrote:

>> the Metro UI is
>> so weird it is a nightmare to support, and it overall bombs for desktop
>> use. It was designed for tablets and phones, but my problem is that if
>> they wanted a tablet or phone interface they could have put it on one of
>> those devices and spared the desktop market of the dumbed-down GUI by
>> making a different version with a different GUI. Also, try to visualize
>> how horrible some of these common desktop applications would look if
>> Metroified-
>
> M$ should have shifted their focus to the M$-dependent business sector
> (e.g. health care).
> Instead M$ went after the "Windows 9x Kids" who, after growing up,
> managed to escape their wrath by using Mac and Linux (including embedded
> versions and Android) and have no reason to return to the Illegal
> Operations, Security Updates, and Service Packs of their childhood.
>
> M$ will never "win" unless they shift their focus to the business sector,
> which M$ continually frustrates as they continue wasting time/money on
> the home user.

Windows 8 seems like a pathetic and desperate attempt to connect the desktop
experience with the tablet... hoping to get sort of the reverse "halo
effect" Apple got with iPods and the like helping Mac sales.

If Windows 8 was not so horrible it might have even worked.

--
"I have never, ever cared about really anything but the Linux desktop."
-- Linus Torvalds

Message has been deleted

GreyCloud

Dec 5, 2013, 12:03:18 AM12/5/13
On 12/4/2013 6:53 PM, RedBlade7 wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:54:24 -0800, keltonkostis wrote:
>
>> the Metro UI is
>> so weird it is a nightmare to support, and it overall bombs for desktop
>> use. It was designed for tablets and phones, but my problem is that if
>> they wanted a tablet or phone interface they could have put it on one of
>> those devices and spared the desktop market of the dumbed-down GUI by
>> making a different version with a different GUI. Also, try to visualize
>> how horrible some of these common desktop applications would look if
>> Metroified-
>
> M$ should have shifted their focus to the M$-dependent business sector
> (e.g. health care).
> Instead M$ went after the "Windows 9x Kids" who, after growing up,
> managed to escape their wrath by using Mac and Linux (including embedded
> versions and Android) and have no reason to return to the Illegal
> Operations, Security Updates, and Service Packs of their childhood.
>
> M$ will never "win" unless they shift their focus to the business sector,
> which M$ continually frustrates as they continue wasting time/money on
> the home user.

You should go into a modern nursing home and watch them as they use
touch screens mounted on the walls. No keyboards, as they don't have
time. A touch screen is perfect for that kind of health care system and
most doctors approve of this approach.

Snit

Dec 5, 2013, 12:04:40 AM12/5/13
On 12/4/13, 9:53 PM, in article l7p0ru$dgr$2...@dont-email.me, "RedBlade7"
<pena...@yomomma.hot> wrote:
> Nope, the mobile demographic are the people who grew up with 9x/ME as
> kids, there's no convincing them to go back to Microsoft's tarnished
> image when their Apple product has been working just fine.

Apple products are better in many areas but Windows still has many software
classes where OS X does not or has only lackluster offerings. And to get a
Mac people pay, on average, more than 2x what they pay for a Windows machine
- so they are clearly not for everyone.

What I would love to see is the open source ecosystem grow to the point
where *it* can take over when MS makes mistakes like Windows 8 and Vista and
ME. Sure, I would be happy to see Apple get some benefit from these times as
well, but given the price of Linux - free - it would be great to see it be
able to grab a much bigger piece of the pie.

--
> As for Stallman, he is a repulsive person by any standard of decency.
... standard of decency or hygiene.
-- Lusotec

Snit

Dec 5, 2013, 12:06:47 AM12/5/13
On 12/4/13, 10:03 PM, in article
n5OdnX--damGlD3P...@bresnan.com, "GreyCloud" <mi...@cumulus.com>
wrote:
Windows 8 might work on touch screens - but for laptops and especially
desktops the new UI makes no sense. And for tablets it makes no sense to
have the old desktop UI.

In other words there is pretty much no hardware where Windows 8 makes sense.

--
"Maybe it wouldn't be quite as good, but we would all be okay."
- Richard Stallman, speaking about if his ideas were followed

Message has been deleted

GreyCloud

Dec 5, 2013, 1:07:14 AM12/5/13
On 12/4/2013 10:16 PM, RedBlade7 wrote:
> I was referring to billing, insurance, and the like.

But the touchscreen in the nursing home or doctors office is just the
headwaters of the healthcare system... these are data synchronized
systems where billing and insurance gets its impetus. After that they
can use whatever works best. I've seen one iPad in one doctors office,
and the rest were laptops with touchscreens. That is just the way they
want it, as I have observed.

Message has been deleted

Chris Ahlstrom

Dec 5, 2013, 6:01:12 AM12/5/13
RedBlade7 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:54:24 -0800, keltonkostis wrote:
>
>> the Metro UI is
>> so weird it is a nightmare to support, and it overall bombs for desktop
>> use. It was designed for tablets and phones, but my problem is that if
>> they wanted a tablet or phone interface they could have put it on one of
>> those devices and spared the desktop market of the dumbed-down GUI by
>> making a different version with a different GUI. Also, try to visualize
>> how horrible some of these common desktop applications would look if
>> Metroified-
>
> M$ should have shifted their focus to the M$-dependent business sector
> (e.g. health care).

Well, they're doing pretty well there (business and health care).

You probably have noticed, though, that Microsoft appears only on the
nurse's kiosks, hospital "bulletin boards", and scheduling machines,
where Windows going tits-up is only a cause for annoyance, not danger.

From what I've seen, you won't find Microsoft software operating MRI
machines or other imaging machine, or the equipment that is actually
attached to the patient.

> Instead M$ went after the "Windows 9x Kids" who, after growing up,
> managed to escape their wrath by using Mac and Linux (including embedded
> versions and Android) and have no reason to return to the Illegal
> Operations, Security Updates, and Service Packs of their childhood.
>
> M$ will never "win" unless they shift their focus to the business sector,
> which M$ continually frustrates as they continue wasting time/money on
> the home user.

M$ came periously close to the "win". As it is, they're still a cancer that
has metastisized into almost every niche of computing.

Thank god for GNU (and Linus, among others).

--
Women are not much, but they are the best other sex we have.
-- Herold

Chris Ahlstrom

Dec 5, 2013, 6:04:22 AM12/5/13
RedBlade7 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 22:03:18 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:
>
>> On 12/4/2013 6:53 PM, RedBlade7 wrote:
>>>
>>> M$ should have shifted their focus to the M$-dependent business sector
>>> (e.g. health care).
>>>
>> You should go into a modern nursing home and watch them as they use
>> touch screens mounted on the walls. No keyboards, as they don't have
>> time. A touch screen is perfect for that kind of health care system and
>> most doctors approve of this approach.

Hence an even greater need for the hand-cleansing protocol <chuckle>.

> I was referring to billing, insurance, and the like.

Also kiosks.

But Greycloud is not quite correct -- every setup of seen in the local
hospitals has come with keyboards. I haven't even seen any tablets there
yet.

--
neutron bomb, n.:
An explosive device of limited military value because, as

GreyCloud

Dec 5, 2013, 11:18:42 AM12/5/13
On 12/5/2013 1:19 AM, RedBlade7 wrote:
> I highly doubt that transactions between doctors and insurance companies
> and printing invoices for clients make use of iPads or touch-screen
> mobile devices.

No, they don't in that fashion, but all of the portable stuff is hooked
up to their central server which does do the billing... and most of the
billing is charged to Medicare. But the front end devices are mobile
and that is where the data is collected and forwarded to the server. So
all mobile devices are finding more uses than before.

GreyCloud

Dec 5, 2013, 11:22:28 AM12/5/13
On 12/5/2013 4:04 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> RedBlade7 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> You should go into a modern nursing home and watch them as they use
>>> touch screens mounted on the walls. No keyboards, as they don't have
>>> time. A touch screen is perfect for that kind of health care system and
>>> most doctors approve of this approach.
>
> Hence an even greater need for the hand-cleansing protocol <chuckle>.
>
>> I was referring to billing, insurance, and the like.
>
> Also kiosks.
>
> But Greycloud is not quite correct -- every setup of seen in the local
> hospitals has come with keyboards. I haven't even seen any tablets there
> yet.

That depends on the hospital administration.

This may give you an idea what the doctors want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RqObFBw3HM

JEDIDIAH

Dec 5, 2013, 11:12:28 AM12/5/13
On 2013-12-05, RedBlade7 <pena...@yomomma.hot> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 22:03:18 -0700, GreyCloud wrote:
>
>> On 12/4/2013 6:53 PM, RedBlade7 wrote:
>>> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:54:24 -0800, keltonkostis wrote:
[deletia]
>>> M$ will never "win" unless they shift their focus to the business
>>> sector,
>>> which M$ continually frustrates as they continue wasting time/money on
>>> the home user.
>>>
>> You should go into a modern nursing home and watch them as they use
>> touch screens mounted on the walls. No keyboards, as they don't have
>> time. A touch screen is perfect for that kind of health care system and

Don't have time? If they don't have time then they actually need a
keyboard because it is a far superior input for non-trivial data entry.

People can touch type with a proper keyboard.

>> most doctors approve of this approach.
>
> I was referring to billing, insurance, and the like.

--
Oracle... can't live with it... |||
/ | \

JEDIDIAH

Dec 5, 2013, 11:14:38 AM12/5/13
On 2013-12-05, Chris Ahlstrom <OFee...@teleworm.us> wrote:
> RedBlade7 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> You should go into a modern nursing home and watch them as they use
>>> touch screens mounted on the walls. No keyboards, as they don't have
>>> time. A touch screen is perfect for that kind of health care system and
>>> most doctors approve of this approach.
>
> Hence an even greater need for the hand-cleansing protocol <chuckle>.
>
>> I was referring to billing, insurance, and the like.
>
> Also kiosks.
>
> But Greycloud is not quite correct -- every setup of seen in the local
> hospitals has come with keyboards. I haven't even seen any tablets there
> yet.

The regulatory hurdles surrounding medical devices has very likely
blunted the expansion of tablets into the parts of the medical field
that are actually visible to patients.

Although that would still be the tip of a very large iceberg.