NetBSD Design Logo Competition

Jan Schaumann

Jan 14, 2004, 12:16:09 PM1/14/04
The NetBSD Project[1] has announced[2] that it has launched an
international competition for the creation of a new logo. There is a cash
prize of US $100.00 for the winning entry. The successful logo will also
have wide exposure, featuring in all NetBSD material including, but not
limited to; the NetBSD.org web site, software media, apparel, and business
systems. The competition will close on February 29, 2004. The rules of
the competition, submission information and the design brief can be found
in the official announcement[3], which has already spawned some discussion
on the netbsd-advocacy[4] and current-users[5] MailingLists.

[1] http://www.NetBSD.org
[2] http://www.NetBSD.org/Changes/#logo-contest
[3] http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/netbsd-advocacy/2004/01/14/0001.html
[4] http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/netbsd-advocacy/2004/01/
[5] http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/current-users/2004/01/

mark | r

Jan 14, 2004, 12:27:51 PM1/14/04
what a load of crap! logos should cost more than £100

mark

"Jan Schaumann" <jsch...@netbsd.org> wrote in message

Andrew Banks

Jan 14, 2004, 12:53:08 PM1/14/04
It's not even £100 mark! At todays rates it's £54

Not even an hours work!

SpaceGirl

Jan 14, 2004, 5:33:19 PM1/14/04

"Andrew Banks" <ban...@nojunkblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> It's not even £100 mark! At todays rates it's £54
>
> Not even an hours work!

Crazy huh? Even on our most basic rates we'd loose $200 just by thinking
about the project.

SpaceGirl

Jan 14, 2004, 5:33:40 PM1/14/04
Get lost.... $100? Is this a joke?

woodsie

Jan 14, 2004, 9:11:45 PM1/14/04
it should be but it isn't.... and this is whats wrong with the industry.
people (clients) are uneducated about design and dont know the proper way
that projects such as these should be handled. their attitude/opinions to
getting graphic work done and forming 'contests' just devalues the
profession. designing and creating graphic work is not a contest and
shouldn't be treated as such.

In article <bu4g3v$ct0jk$1...@ID-129131.news.uni-berlin.de>, "SpaceGirl"

Jan Schaumann

Jan 14, 2004, 9:53:22 PM1/14/04
* SpaceGirl wrote:

> "Jan Schaumann" <jsch...@netbsd.org> wrote in message
> > The NetBSD Project[1] has announced[2] that it has launched an
> > international competition for the creation of a new logo. There is a cash
> > prize of US $100.00 for the winning entry.

> Get lost.... $100? Is this a joke?

Considering that the organization running the competition is giving away a
complete computer operating system with literally thousands of man-months
worth of work for completely and entirely free, is a volunteer-based
not-for-profit and does and always has entirely relied on other people's
free work... no, this is not a joke.

The money is not even considered the main incentive and certainly was not
intended to reflect what a logo would be ``worth''. Anyway, if somebody
skilled is interested and would like to contribute an idea, we'd still
very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Jan

--
http://www.netmeister.org

Except most of the good bits were about frogs, I remember that.
You would not believe some of the things about frogs.

mark | r

Jan 15, 2004, 3:52:42 AM1/15/04
lol why not say

"design us a logo and we'll take you and a friend to the cinema"

it'd cost the same :)

mark

"SpaceGirl" <NoSpace...@subhuman.net> wrote in message

SpaceGirl

Jan 15, 2004, 6:32:01 AM1/15/04

"Jan Schaumann" <jsch...@netmeister.org> wrote in message

> * SpaceGirl wrote:
>
> > "Jan Schaumann" <jsch...@netbsd.org> wrote in message
> > > The NetBSD Project[1] has announced[2] that it has launched an
> > > international competition for the creation of a new logo. There is a
cash
> > > prize of US $100.00 for the winning entry.
>
> > Get lost.... $100? Is this a joke?
>
> Considering that the organization running the competition is giving away a
> complete computer operating system with literally thousands of man-months
> worth of work for completely and entirely free, is a volunteer-based
> not-for-profit and does and always has entirely relied on other people's
> free work... no, this is not a joke.
>
> The money is not even considered the main incentive and certainly was not
> intended to reflect what a logo would be ``worth''. Anyway, if somebody
> skilled is interested and would like to contribute an idea, we'd still
> very much appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jan
>
> --
> http://www.netmeister.org

Yes I realise this, which is why it's doubly insulting. I whole-heartedly
support open source. The issue is that we get a number of people who post in
here asking for freebie, or offering silly money for real work and expect
for everyone to react possitively. There are a lot of professional designers
in here. Perhaps I could pop over to your site and ask some of your core
programmers to write a little OS for me? I promise whichever OS I think is
best, I'll give you $100 for your trouble.

:P

I dont want to have a dig at the reason you did it anyway. I hope you find
someone to do you a nice logo.

Edward Alfert

Jan 15, 2004, 8:13:05 AM1/15/04
<snip>

> Perhaps I could pop over to
> your site and ask some of your core programmers to write a little OS
> for me? I promise whichever OS I think is best, I'll give you $100 for
> your trouble.

They are already doing that. Much of the same work is used to create
NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, etc. You can pick the winner by buying one of
their CD sets which is much less than $100.

--
Edward Alfert - http://www.rootmode.com/
Coupon Code (Recurring $5/month Discount): newsgroup

joe_null

Jan 15, 2004, 8:36:39 AM1/15/04

"Edward Alfert" <eal...@rootmode.com> wrote in message;

> They are already doing that. Much of the same work is used to create
> NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, etc. You can pick the winner by buying one of
> their CD sets which is much less than $100.

Swing and a miss. At least you missed the point she was making.

Thomas Armagost

Jan 15, 2004, 6:36:38 PM1/15/04
In message <bu5tnb$drqj2$1...@ID-129131.news.uni-berlin.de>,
"SpaceGirl" <NoSpace...@subhuman.net> wrote:

>"Jan Schaumann" <jsch...@netmeister.org> wrote

>> * SpaceGirl wrote:
>>> "Jan Schaumann" <jsch...@netbsd.org> wrote
>

>>> The NetBSD Project[1] has announced[2] that it has launched an
>>> international competition for the creation of a new logo. There
>>> is a cash prize of US $100.00 for the winning entry.
>
>> Get lost.... $100? Is this a joke?

"Take off, eh?" - the MacKenzie Brothers

I wish that Bob and Doug MacKenzie would submit a logo.

> Considering that the organization running the competition is giving
> away a complete computer operating system with literally thousands
> of man-months worth of work for completely and entirely free, is a
> volunteer-based not-for-profit and does and always has entirely
> relied on other people's free work... no, this is not a joke.
>
> The money is not even considered the main incentive and certainly
> was not intended to reflect what a logo would be ``worth''.
> Anyway, if somebody skilled is interested and would like to
> contribute an idea, we'd still very much appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jan

<http://www.netmeister.org>

> Yes I realise this, which is why it's doubly insulting.

Insulting to you, SpaceGirl. Speak for yourself. I'm flattered that
the NetBSD people would stoop so low as to take this newsgroup into
their consideration.

> I whole-heartedly support open source.

Your heart is in the right place. Now your mind needs to catch up.

> The issue is that we get a number of people who post in here asking
> for freebie, or offering silly money for real work and expect
> for everyone to react possitively.

You can't tell the difference between spam and a legitimate
opportunity? In a contest such as this, the cash prize tends to be
for expenses. If you haven't got enough spare time to enter this
contest, why not keep a dignified silence? No one will think the
less of you.

> There are a lot of professional designers in here.

Struggling professional designers, it would seem. Here's a clue:
Desperate whining impresses no one.

> Perhaps I could pop over to your site and ask some of your core
> programmers to write a little OS for me? I promise whichever OS I
> think is best, I'll give you $100 for your trouble.
>
> :P

When Linus posts to usenet, his words make usenet important. His
words make adg seem like a rerun of the Love Boat in comparison.
We are standing on the shoulders of giants.

> I dont want to have a dig at the reason you did it anyway. I hope
> you find someone to do you a nice logo.

I hereby commit the final five days of my 14 days to this project.

--
adg 14 Days of Art <http://www.well.com/user/silly/day0.html> Day 10

Thomas Armagost

Jan 15, 2004, 7:31:43 PM1/15/04
> "SpaceGirl" <NoSpace...@subhuman.net> wrote:

>>> Considering that the organization running the competition is
>>> giving away a complete computer operating system with literally
>>> thousands of man-months worth of work for completely and entirely
>>> free, is a volunteer-based not-for-profit and does and always has
>>> entirely relied on other people's free work... no, this is not a
>>> joke.
>
>>> The money is not even considered the main incentive and certainly
>>> was not intended to reflect what a logo would be ``worth''.
>>> Anyway, if somebody skilled is interested and would like to
>>> contribute an idea, we'd still very much appreciate it.
>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Jan
>
> <http://www.netmeister.org>
>
>> Yes I realise this, which is why it's doubly insulting.
>
> Insulting to you, SpaceGirl. Speak for yourself.

[chomp]

> I hereby commit the final five days of my 14 days to this project.

Sorry, I screwed up the quotes in the previous version of this
followup.

Thomas Armagost

Jan 15, 2004, 11:36:43 PM1/15/04
In message <BC2CB8F2.11383%inezhsmit...@earthlink.net>,
iehsmith <inezhsmit...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I hate to sound stupid about this, but I am, so...

No, you don't sound stupid.

> On their site they state that "The 'BSD' in our name is an obvious
> recognition of our heritage as a derivative of 4.4BSD and 386BSD."

How obvious can you get? ;-)

> But what does the 'BSD' mean... stand for?

<http://www.bsd.org/> sez: "BSD is a registered trademark of Berkeley
Software Design, Inc."

This webpage should be of interest. <http://www.netbsd.org/People/>

Jan Schaumann

Jan 15, 2004, 11:57:24 PM1/15/04
* iehsmith wrote:

> On their site they state that "The 'BSD' in our name is an obvious
> recognition of our heritage as a derivative of 4.4BSD and 386BSD."
>
> But what does the 'BSD' mean... stand for?

The BSD here stands for 'Berkeley Software Distribution'; it's (much
simplified) the name of one of the most influential and important
operating systems in computer science and computer history, developed on
the basis of Bell-Labs' UNIX Timesharing System at the University of
California at Berkely.

Without BSD, the internet as we know it would not exist.

If you're interested, some of the early UNIX history can be found
summarized at

http://www.bell-labs.com/history/unix/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/kirkmck.html
http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html

-Jan

--
http://www.netmeister.org

Wenn ich tot bin, mir soll mal Einer mit Auferstehung oder so
kommen, ich hau ihm eine rein! (Anonym)

Thomas Armagost

Jan 16, 2004, 3:51:02 AM1/16/04
In message <BC2CC9F0.1138A%inezhsmit...@earthlink.net>,
iehsmith <inezhsmit...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> I hate to sound stupid about this, but I am, so...
>
>> No, you don't sound stupid.
>

> I just am;)

No, you're not stupid.

>>> On their site they state that "The 'BSD' in our name is an
>>> obvious recognition of our heritage as a derivative of 4.4BSD
>>> and 386BSD."
>
>> How obvious can you get?
>

> Shucks

I knew that. ;-)

>>> But what does the 'BSD' mean... stand for?
>
>> <http://www.bsd.org/> sez: "BSD is a registered trademark of
>> Berkeley Software Design, Inc."
>
>> This webpage should be of interest.
>> <http://www.netbsd.org/People/>
>

> Aha! But on this page is says "Berkeley Software Distributions,"
> So does it "stand for" the business name or their products when
> applied to the product name, NetBSD?
>
> I'm too confused to ask the question intelligently, LOL

They should have a contest to decide what BSD means.

Anyway, their main page gives me a feel for what kind of logo they
want. <http://www.netbsd.org/>

Thomas Armagost

Jan 16, 2004, 3:44:37 AM1/16/04
In message <c873971e.04011...@posting.google.com>,
si...@well.com (Thomas Armagost) wrote:

>> There are a lot of professional designers in here.
>
> Struggling professional designers, it would seem. Here's a
> clue: Desperate whining impresses no one.

SpaceGirl, I apologize for that cheap shot. For some reason I
confused your bragging for desperation. Must be because I was
wondering why the web design and graphic artist jobs in the U.S.
hadn't been outsourced to Third World countries.

Damn. Now I'm gonna have to apologize again.