HOW DO ATHEISTS VIEW INCEST?

1 view

Madame Monpetit

Feb 7, 2013, 8:08:29 PM2/7/13
Hi there,

I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
between adults?. For example, a full blooded brother/sister or mother/
son who are both adults. I know that consensual incest between adults
is specifically prohibited in the sacred texts of Judaism,
Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Buddhism.

I believe I am correct in stating that most Atheists (unless they are
neo-Nazis/White supremacists or some
type of paleo-Conservative) tend to be quite open minded and accepting
where human sexuality is concerned,
and for the most part, do not appear to have any problems with
homosexuality, bisexuality, polyamory, ect; but
I cannot seem to find anything concerning consensual incest between
adults.

PS: I am not referring here to offspring resulting from consensual
incest between adults, which I would think
both Atheists and Theists alike would oppose on the grounds that such
offspring will most likely suffer from
severe genetic damage as a result of the very close gene pool in
question. Therefore, I am curious to know
what Atheists think of consensual incest between adults, assuming that
no children ever results from such
incestuous relationships.

Madame Monpetit

Richo

Feb 7, 2013, 8:49:34 PM2/7/13
On Feb 8, 12:08 pm, Madame Monpetit <madamemonpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
> between adults?

Atheists are not a mono-culture, atheism isn't a philosophy or a
worldview.

Atheists have beliefs belong to cultures and have worldviews - just
not all the same ones.

What do *I* ( an individual atheist who is not speaking for all
atheism) think about consensual sex between adult close relatives?
I don't think about it much at all, but its hard to imagine that it
isn't psychologically damaging for at least one participant.
Should it be punished by law?
Probably no - but it sounds like something to discourage and make an
"icky" face when someone mentions it.

Mark.

%

Feb 7, 2013, 9:00:01 PM2/7/13
hi
Message has been deleted

%

Feb 7, 2013, 9:52:20 PM2/7/13
Robert Parker wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:08:29 -0800 (PST), Madame Monpetit
> <madamem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
>> between adults?. For example, a full blooded brother/sister or
>> mother/ son who are both adults. I know that consensual incest
>> between adults is specifically prohibited in the sacred texts of
>> Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Buddhism.
>
> Atheism is about belief in a god, atheist do not believe in or
> worship any god. Any other subject is not of interest to atheist as a
> atheist. Personal position consensual acts between consenting adults
> is none of my business.
>>
>> I believe I am correct in stating that most Atheists (unless they are
>> neo-Nazis/White supremacists or some
>> type of paleo-Conservative)
>
> No atheist would be associated with any such religious hate groups.
> Hate is not part of atheism, disgust at hate filled bigots is not
> hate.
>
>> tend to be quite open minded and accepting
>> where human sexuality is concerned,
>> and for the most part, do not appear to have any problems with
>> homosexuality, bisexuality, polyamory, ect; but
>> I cannot seem to find anything concerning consensual incest between
>> adults.
>>
>> PS: I am not referring here to offspring resulting from consensual
>> incest between adults, which I would think
>> both Atheists and Theists alike would oppose on the grounds that such
>> offspring will most likely suffer from
>> severe genetic damage as a result of the very close gene pool in
>> question. Therefore, I am curious to know
>> what Atheists think of consensual incest between adults, assuming
>> that no children ever results from such
>> incestuous relationships.
>
> Actually first breed back with exceptional animals tend to produce
> superior offspring. Incest among the knuckle dragging theist retards
> will produce exceptional retards.
>>
>> Madame Monpetit

how insulting

Jeanne Douglas

Feb 7, 2013, 9:52:21 PM2/7/13
In article
<119d67a1-a67e-426a...@e11g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
Personally, I find it really icky.

But ickiness is not a valid reason to ban something.

--
JD

"Osama Bin Laden is dead and GM is alive."--VP Joseph Biden

sbalneav

Feb 7, 2013, 11:14:35 PM2/7/13
In alt.atheism Madame Monpetit <madamem...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> question. Therefore, I am curious to know
> what Atheists think of consensual incest between adults, assuming that
> no children ever results from such
> incestuous relationships.

That's a pretty big assumption there. Tubal ligations and vasectomies have
been known to fail, and all forms of contraception are not 100% effective. I'd
be against it on the simple grounds that there will always be a >0% chance that
offpring could result.

However, I'm not seeing that there needs to be a law against this. For most
people, our innate biological controls will prevent this from happening, and
for the small percentage that it doesn't, well, what goes on in your bedroom
neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket.

--
__ _ | I threw my cup away when I saw a child
(_ |_) | drinking from his hands at the trough.

kni...@baawa.com

Feb 7, 2013, 11:34:04 PM2/7/13
<madamem...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
>between adults?.

How does an asshole like you view fucking chickens?

How about fucking your Momma in the ass because she has some
blithering moron trolling alt.atheism?

Warlord Steve
BAAWA

Clocky

Feb 8, 2013, 5:00:23 AM2/8/13
Madame Monpetit wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
> between adults?.

You assume morality is only possible through religion.

Quite the contrary, as it happens.

Just look at the Catholic church and it's protection of child molestors.

Yap

Feb 8, 2013, 6:38:50 AM2/8/13
Madame, why are you particularly want to ask atheist group? Some
motive at the back of your head?
While being an atheist, I commit myself to humanity and make ecvery
effort for the good of our next generation.
I don't waste my precious time on the type of delusion you find in the
believers.

Coming to incest, if the law doesn't deal with it, how do you expect
me to do something?
Or are you trying to fish for my sympathy to your incestuous behavior?

Richo

Feb 8, 2013, 7:19:04 AM2/8/13
Does someone need a hug?

Mark.

Syd M.

Feb 8, 2013, 8:25:54 AM2/8/13
On Feb 7, 8:08 pm, Madame Monpetit <madamemonpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
> between adults?.

I'd rather not know about it, but if they are consenting adults, then
it's their business.

PDW

Tantum Ergo

Feb 8, 2013, 8:33:12 AM2/8/13
On Feb 7, 8:08 pm, Madame Monpetit <madamemonpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,

As soon as homosexuality is granted, incest sure will
be the next reason for their fight. These perverts must be stopped

BruceS

Feb 8, 2013, 10:50:34 AM2/8/13
Well *that* was a well-thought-out, well-expressed response, free of
wild assumptions and vast over-generalizations. GTFO Usenet; you don't
belong here. Or at least throw in some gratuitous insults!

As another atheist, I'll mainly agree with Richo's statement. I would
point out that making the face only helps increase the likelihood that
at least one of the participants would suffer some psychological damage,
but I'd make the face by reflex.

Also, speaking to the (snipped out) bit about genetic damage, AIUI the
risks are actually quite small, even with brother/sister offspring.

Bob Casanova

Feb 8, 2013, 11:30:12 AM2/8/13
On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:08:29 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in sci.skeptic, posted by Madame Monpetit
<madamem...@gmail.com>:

>Hi there,
>
>I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
>between adults?

Probably the same as any other heterogeneous group. IOW, it
would vary depending on the individual and his/her education
and training; religious belief or lack thereof would be
irrelevant. It's a social issue, not specifically a
religious one.

Your point?
--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is

- McNameless

raven1

Feb 8, 2013, 11:40:14 AM2/8/13
As long as they don't infringe on anyone else's rights, it's no one's
business what consenting adults do in the bedroom.

george152

Feb 8, 2013, 1:54:22 PM2/8/13
On 08/02/13 17:14, sbalneav wrote:

> However, I'm not seeing that there needs to be a law against this. For most
> people, our innate biological controls will prevent this from happening, and
> for the small percentage that it doesn't, well, what goes on in your bedroom
> neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket.

That's pretty much how I also see it

george152

Feb 8, 2013, 1:56:32 PM2/8/13
On 09/02/13 05:40, raven1 wrote:

> As long as they don't infringe on anyone else's rights, it's no one's
> business what consenting adults do in the bedroom.

Or anywhere else in the house :)

Syd M.

Feb 8, 2013, 3:58:14 PM2/8/13
On Feb 8, 8:33 am, Tantum Ergo <kolwe...@astromail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 7, 8:08 pm, Madame Monpetit <madamemonpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
>
> As soon as homosexuality is granted, incest sure will
> be the next reason for their fight. These perverts must be stopped

Stop lying.

PDW

Clocky

Feb 8, 2013, 5:01:37 PM2/8/13
As long as they don't produce state (taxpayer) dependant offspring they can
do what they like as far as I am concerned.

Dr. C Love

Feb 8, 2013, 7:13:38 PM2/8/13

To an athiest, there is no problem with incest because there without
morals.

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:08:29 -0800 (PST), Madame Monpetit
<madamem...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dr. C Love
Doctor of Homeopathy
Master of Reikki Therapy

Always remember:
Jesus love's you and so do I!
Every single one of you!

Believing is seeing - Think about it! :)

Uncle Vic

Feb 8, 2013, 10:27:41 PM2/8/13
Tantum Ergo <kolw...@astromail.com> wrote in news:037b9d75-6e26-4920-89d9-
97df63...@h17g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

> As soon as homosexuality is granted, incest sure will
> be the next reason for their fight. These perverts must be stopped

So how do homosexuality and incest come into play in your life? Do they
interest you? Are they ruining your life? Really?

I only care that people are treated with actual morality, not the kind you
read about in a really old book. Moral issues, like "live and let live"
are not even mentioned in the Really Old Book, are they?

--
Uncle Vic
aa# 2011

Visit my You Tube Channel!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Vicman6311?feature=mhee

Uncle Vic

Feb 8, 2013, 10:42:43 PM2/8/13
Dr. C Love <clove...@mesotouri.edu> wrote in

> To an athiest, there is no problem with incest because there without
> morals.

(fundymode)

Exodus 20:16. You just bore false witness, asshole, you're going to hell.
Don't forget, Jesus is watching you type.

(/fundymode)

Besides, something is not immoral simply because Dr. Clove thinks it's
icky. Kindly keep your religiously oriented opinions to yourself, and be
cautious with your slander, it could get you sued.

george152

Feb 8, 2013, 11:08:04 PM2/8/13
On 09/02/13 13:13, Dr. C Love wrote:

> To an athiest, there is no problem with incest because there without
> morals.

Stupid claim.
Catholic priests buggering choir boys is a demonstration of theists morals ?

A B

Feb 9, 2013, 9:57:21 AM2/9/13
"Clocky" <not...@happen.com> wrote on 8th February:
Not disagreeing about the antics of the Catholic church, but if you reread
the posting, that wasn't the OP's point. Point was something more
interesting: if you don't believe that it's forbidden by any god, how do you
argue that incest IS against morality? Is there any other moral argument
against it (if you assume that no children result)?
--
A. B.
><>
My e-mail address is zen177395 at zendotcodotuk, though I don't check that
account very often.
Post unto others as you would have them post unto you.

A B

Feb 9, 2013, 10:00:19 AM2/9/13
"Uncle Vic" <so...@noway.com> wrote on 9th February:
> Tantum Ergo <kolw...@astromail.com> wrote on 8th February:
>> As soon as homosexuality is granted, incest sure will
>> be the next reason for their fight. These perverts must be stopped
>
> So how do homosexuality and incest come into play in your life? Do they
> interest you? Are they ruining your life? Really?
>
> I only care that people are treated with actual morality, not the kind you
> read about in a really old book. Moral issues, like "live and let live"
> are not even mentioned in the Really Old Book, are they?

Frequently. But I'll leave it at that because I agree with everything else
you said.

Bob Casanova

Feb 9, 2013, 12:50:13 PM2/9/13
On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 19:13:38 -0500, the following appeared
in sci.skeptic, posted by Dr. C Love
<clove...@mesotouri.edu>:

>To an athiest, there is no problem with incest because there without
>morals.

Your ignorance is astounding.

And BTW, that's "atheist" and "they're". HTH.

Bob Casanova

Feb 9, 2013, 12:52:16 PM2/9/13
On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 14:57:21 -0000, the following appeared in
sci.skeptic, posted by "A B" <@bleBaker.uk>:

>"Clocky" <not...@happen.com> wrote on 8th February:
>> Madame Monpetit wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
>>> between adults?.
>>
>> You assume morality is only possible through religion.
>>
>> Quite the contrary, as it happens.
>>
>> Just look at the Catholic church and it's protection of child molestors.
>
>Not disagreeing about the antics of the Catholic church, but if you reread
>the posting, that wasn't the OP's point. Point was something more
>interesting: if you don't believe that it's forbidden by any god, how do you
>argue that incest IS against morality? Is there any other moral argument
>against it (if you assume that no children result)?

Assuming no possibility of offspring, and assuming all
parties are consenting adults, there is no moral issue.

WangoTango

Feb 11, 2013, 5:06:27 PM2/11/13
In article <511663dc$0$1106$5b6a...@news.zen.co.uk>, "A B"
<@bleBaker.uk> says...
> "Clocky" <not...@happen.com> wrote on 8th February:
> > Madame Monpetit wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
> >> between adults?.
> >
> > You assume morality is only possible through religion.
> >
> > Quite the contrary, as it happens.
> >
> > Just look at the Catholic church and it's protection of child molestors.
>
> Not disagreeing about the antics of the Catholic church, but if you reread
> the posting, that wasn't the OP's point. Point was something more
> interesting: if you don't believe that it's forbidden by any god, how do you
> argue that incest IS against morality? Is there any other moral argument
> against it (if you assume that no children result)?

I always love it when the terrors of incestual breeding is brought up.
Unless there has been long term inbreeding in the family already, the
consequences of such a mating are almost invariably NIL.

If inbreeding was ALWAYS such a bad thing, we would have NONE of the
diversity of breeds of plants or animals we find useful everyday,
because inbreeding is used to amplify traits.

Inbreeding is also an accelerator of natural selection. That's why
isolated populations diverge quickly.

nature bats_last

Feb 11, 2013, 9:50:09 PM2/11/13
On Feb 11, 3:06 pm, WangoTango <Asgar...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> In article <511663dc$0$1106$5b6aa...@news.zen.co.uk>, "A B"
> <@bleBaker.uk> says...
>

> > "Clocky" <notg...@happen.com> wrote on 8th February:
I believe incest taboos are found in all societies, so I expect
that there is some selective advantage.

That said, the definition of 'incest" varies wildly across
cultures, from "not with immediate family" to "not with anyone
in the viillage".

NBL

Dakota

Feb 12, 2013, 1:00:38 AM2/12/13
Forget about how athiests view incest. We hardly agree on anything.
Let's consider instead how Jews, Christians, and Moslems view incest.
According to their holy books, all of humanity descended from Adam and
Eve. Eve was, of course, made from one of Adam's ribs so it's
reasonable to assume they shared a considerable amount of DNA - they
were very closely related. It's not uncommon for offspring of closely
related parents to have problems and the first two kids were no
exception. One of them murdered the other one.

Not much is said about how the population grew from there but either
Adam and Eve had more kids together all by themselves or Cain humped
his mom now and again also. Soon there were enough people that every
male could screw his mother, and aunts, sisters, and daughters.

Regardless of the specifics, incest plays a major role in those three
religions' origin stories.

osugeography

Feb 12, 2013, 1:09:07 AM2/12/13
Dr Clove wrote: 'To an athiest, there is no problem with incest
because there without morals.'

Then you must mean atheists are amoral.
But don't you consider poor spelling immoral?

Marvin Sebourn
osugeo...@ol.com

SkyEyes

Feb 13, 2013, 1:16:42 AM2/13/13
On Feb 7, 6:08 pm, Madame Monpetit <madamemonpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
> between adults?. For example, a full blooded brother/sister or mother/
> son who are both adults. I know that consensual incest between adults
> is specifically prohibited in the sacred texts of Judaism,
> Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Buddhism.

I would say that the vast majority view it as ... ewwwwww. Icky.
Incest taboos have to do with developmental psychology, not religion.

> I believe I am correct in stating that most Atheists (unless they are
> neo-Nazis/White supremacists or some
> type of paleo-Conservative) tend to be quite open minded and accepting
> where human sexuality is concerned,

Yeah. That doesn't include incest, as far as I know.

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34 and A+ atheist
BAAWA Knight of the Golden Litterbox
EAC Professor of Feline Thermometrics and Cat-Herding
skyeyes nine at cox dot net OR
skyeyes nine at yahoo dot com

nature bats_last

Feb 13, 2013, 1:57:13 AM2/13/13

'
> Yeah.  That doesn't include incest, as far as I know.

There is of course no such thing as synchronicity...
but I just finished a move in which Samuel L. Jackson's
character ends up unknowingly screwing his daughter.

Repeatedly.

NBL

Dakota

Feb 13, 2013, 6:08:29 AM2/13/13
On 2/13/2013 12:16 AM, SkyEyes wrote:
> On Feb 7, 6:08 pm, Madame Monpetit <madamemonpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
>> between adults?. For example, a full blooded brother/sister or mother/
>> son who are both adults. I know that consensual incest between adults
>> is specifically prohibited in the sacred texts of Judaism,
>> Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Buddhism.
>
> I would say that the vast majority view it as ... ewwwwww. Icky.
> Incest taboos have to do with developmental psychology, not religion.
>>
>> I believe I am correct in stating that most Atheists (unless they are
>> neo-Nazis/White supremacists or some
>> type of paleo-Conservative) tend to be quite open minded and accepting
>> where human sexuality is concerned,
>
> Yeah. That doesn't include incest, as far as I know.

Or pedophilia. Or any other kind of rape.

Alex W.

Feb 13, 2013, 9:29:26 AM2/13/13
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:16:42 -0800 (PST), SkyEyes wrote:

> On Feb 7, 6:08�pm, Madame Monpetit <madamemonpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
>> between adults?. For example, a full blooded brother/sister or mother/
>> son who are both adults. I know that consensual incest between adults
>> is specifically prohibited in the sacred texts of Judaism,
>> Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Buddhism.
>
> I would say that the vast majority view it as ... ewwwwww. Icky.
> Incest taboos have to do with developmental psychology, not religion.

I think there is a difference between vertical and horizontal
incest taboos. Hanky-panky between parents and their offspring
is almost universally banned, but intimate relations between
members of the same generation are not nearly as strictly
interdicted. Marriages between first cousins, for example, are
far from uncommon even in the West.

Bob Casanova

Feb 13, 2013, 12:16:32 PM2/13/13
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:57:13 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in sci.skeptic, posted by nature bats_last
<seqk...@gmail.com>:

>On Feb 12, 11:16�pm, SkyEyes <skyey...@cox.net> wrote:
>> On Feb 7, 6:08�pm, Madame Monpetit <madamemonpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi there,
>>
>> > I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
>> > between adults?. For example, a full blooded brother/sister or mother/
>> > son who are both adults. I know that consensual incest between adults
>> > is specifically prohibited in the sacred texts of Judaism,
>> > Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Buddhism.
>>
>> I would say that the vast majority view it as ... ewwwwww. �Icky.
>> Incest taboos have to do with developmental psychology, not religion.
>>

>> > I believe I am correct in stating that most Atheists (unless they are
>> > neo-Nazis/White supremacists or some
>> > type of paleo-Conservative) tend to be quite open minded and accepting
>> > where human sexuality is concerned,
>>

>'
>> Yeah. �That doesn't include incest, as far as I know.
>
>There is of course no such thing as synchronicity...
>but I just finished a move in which Samuel L. Jackson's
>character ends up unknowingly screwing his daughter.
>
>Repeatedly.
>
>NBL

For the ultimate expression of this, I recommend Heinlein's
"All You Zombies". ;-)

A B

Feb 14, 2013, 10:24:19 AM2/14/13
"Dakota" <ma...@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote on 9th February:
> On 2/13/2013 12:16 AM, SkyEyes wrote:
>> On Feb 7, 6:08 pm, Madame Monpetit <madamemonpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I was just wondering how Atheists tend to view consensual incest
>>> between adults?. For example, a full blooded brother/sister or mother/
>>> son who are both adults. I know that consensual incest between adults
>>> is specifically prohibited in the sacred texts of Judaism,
>>> Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Buddhism.
>>
>> I would say that the vast majority view it as ... ewwwwww. Icky.
>> Incest taboos have to do with developmental psychology, not religion.
>>>
>>> I believe I am correct in stating that most Atheists (unless they are
>>> neo-Nazis/White supremacists or some
>>> type of paleo-Conservative) tend to be quite open minded and accepting
>>> where human sexuality is concerned,
>>
>> Yeah. That doesn't include incest, as far as I know.
> >
> Or pedophilia. Or any other kind of rape.

Not that kind of incest. The OP was talking about between two consenting
adults (e.g. brother and sister). Just so we don't get too far off topic.

Dakota

Feb 15, 2013, 3:06:40 AM2/15/13
On 2/14/2013 9:24 AM, A B wrote:
> "Dakota" <ma...@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote on 9th February:

>>> I would say that the vast majority view it as ... ewwwwww. Icky.
>>> Incest taboos have to do with developmental psychology, not religion.

>>> Yeah. That doesn't include incest, as far as I know.
>> >
>> Or pedophilia. Or any other kind of rape.
>
> Not that kind of incest. The OP was talking about between two
> consenting adults (e.g. brother and sister). Just so we don't get too
> far off topic.

I don't think incest is something atheists think about much but I
doubt that most atheists would consider incest to be in the same
category as the proclivities of the GLBT community.

My comment on SkyEyes' comment was intended to demonstrate that
neither pedophilia, a form of rape, and rape's other forms are
practices most atheist are open minded about. Looking at my comment
now, it's easy to see how it could have been interpreted to look like
I meant to include incest as rape also. Thanks for pointing that out.

WangoTango

Feb 18, 2013, 3:21:56 PM2/18/13
In article <e996260a-957c-4ca7-9b80-6ac81a8efaa5
@z9g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>, seqk...@gmail.com says...
Sure, too small a gene pool can amplify ANY trait desirable or not.

> That said, the definition of 'incest" varies wildly across
> cultures, from "not with immediate family" to "not with anyone
> in the viillage".
OK???

WangoTango

Feb 18, 2013, 3:22:57 PM2/18/13
In article <kfclop$dm1$1...@dont-email.me>, ma...@NOSPAMmail.com says...
Yep, lucky those early ancestors were so close to "perfection".
No nasty traits to deal with. LOL