Destiny Is Shut Down

John A. Weeks III

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

Based on stories that I have heard coming out of the San Francisco
bay area, it appears that Destiny Telecom, the phone card company,
has been raided and shut down by California authorities. Many of
their records were also seized as evidence, which would hinder any
restart of the Destiny program until the current action is settled.

Here is a web link to a story from Van's excellent Discount LD Digest:

http://www.thedigest.com/current/77-49.html

-john-

John A. Weeks III (612) 891-2382 jwe...@visi.com
Newave Communications FAX 953-4289 http://www.visi.com/~jweeks

John Cropper

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

John A. Weeks III wrote:

> Based on stories that I have heard coming out of the San Francisco
> bay area, it appears that Destiny Telecom, the phone card company,
> has been raided and shut down by California authorities. Many of
> their records were also seized as evidence, which would hinder any
> restart of the Destiny program until the current action is settled.
>
> Here is a web link to a story from Van's excellent Discount LD Digest:
>
> http://www.thedigest.com/current/77-49.html
>
> -john-

As expected, Destiny is denying any wrongdoing, and on their website,
http://www.dtiinc.com/html/newsrls.htm, they outline the fact that their
'investigation' was 'resolved' (funny, I've never heard of such a thing
being resolved in 48 hours...)

John Cropper, Webmaster voice: 888.NPA.NFO2
Legacy IS, Networking & Comm. Solutions 609.637.9434
P.O. Box 277 fax: 609.637.9430
Pennington, NJ 08534-0277
Unsolicited commercial e-mail is subject
mailto:jcro...@lincs.net to a fee as outlined in the agreement at
http://www.lincs.net/ http://www.lincs.net/spamoff.htm

D. Martin Clemons

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

In article <331828...@lincs.net>,

John Cropper <jcro...@lincs.net> wrote:
>John A. Weeks III wrote:
>>
>> Based on stories that I have heard coming out of the San Francisco
>> bay area, it appears that Destiny Telecom, the phone card company,
>> has been raided and shut down by California authorities. Many of
>> their records were also seized as evidence, which would hinder any
>> restart of the Destiny program until the current action is settled.
>>
>> Here is a web link to a story from Van's excellent Discount LD Digest:
>>
>> http://www.thedigest.com/current/77-49.html
>>
>> -john-
>>

>As expected, Destiny is denying any wrongdoing, and on their website,
>http://www.dtiinc.com/html/newsrls.htm, they outline the fact that their
>'investigation' was 'resolved' (funny, I've never heard of such a thing
> being resolved in 48 hours...)

Hi John and John,

The Destiny web site does not say that the California investigation has been resolved. It says that the investigation is similar to those conducted and resolved in other states. It is expected that resolution will follow in California just as it has in North Carolina, Michigan, Kansas, Florida, Alabama, and elsewhere.

These investigations have become so routine, not only with Destiny, but with all network marketers, including such as TSI and TCN, that I'm surprised anyone would react with more than a Ho Hum when the company is well established and well known. The only difference between this investigation and the others is that it involves agencies having direct home jurisdiction over the corporate entity, since Destiny is a California corporation. Therefore, they were able to exercise search warrants, which caused some inconvenience to Randy Jeffers and the home office staff, but was otherwise only a temporary interruption of routine affairs. Assets frozen during the search were subsequently released and business has continued as usual.

Probably the most important impact was felt in cleaning up the mess and unnecessary damage caused by irresponsible investigators, who did such things as insist on drilling open and dissasembling safes and cabinets even after they were freely offered keys to open them with. Jeffers reports that one such official has looked him in the eye and said, "No one has the right to make that much money."

Comical, no? Certainly makes one puzzle over the motivation for some behaviors.

Martin Clemons
"It's the people we touch, and how they remember us,
that define our lives on this earth..."

Julian Macassey

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

In article <5fhthc$3...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,

D. Martin Clemons <dma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>The Destiny web site does not say that the California investigation
has been resolved.

I realise you are a mouthpiece for the Destiny Pyramid plan,
but your credibility would be increased if you first learned how to
use an editor. Please refer to "Columns" in your manual.

>These investigations have become so routine, not only with Destiny,
>but with all network marketers,

Why would that be? Please tell us why evil law enforcement
keep picking on pyramid schemes.

>Martin Clemons
>"It's the people we touch, and how they remember us,
> that define our lives on this earth..."

How do we remember scam artists? No matter the platitudes, it
is not a fond memory.

--
Julian Macassey, 415.647.2217

D. Martin Clemons

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

In article <julianE6...@netcom.com>,

jul...@netcom.com (Julian Macassey) wrote:
>In article <5fhthc$3...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,
>D. Martin Clemons <dma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>The Destiny web site does not say that the California investigation
>has been resolved.

I visited the site referenced to see what it said for myself. I
observed that the report of its content was inaccurate.

> I realise you are a mouthpiece for the Destiny Pyramid plan,
>but your credibility would be increased if you first learned how to
>use an editor. Please refer to "Columns" in your manual.

Please forgive my faux pas. I was in the midst of preparing
four different documents at the time and transferred a section of copy
without reformatting to the appropriate column width. As a former
newpaper editor, I believe that credibility has more to do with accuracy
than with picas and points. As for being a "mouthpiece," I'm sure that
Destiny has plenty of their own, probably well paid. I made similar
comments regarding the recent investigation of TSI in Arizona when
inaccurate statements were made.

>>These investigations have become so routine, not only with Destiny,
>>but with all network marketers,
>
> Why would that be? Please tell us why evil law enforcement
>keep picking on pyramid schemes.

I have been fortunate never to have encountered "evil" law
enforcement, so I am not sure what might motivate them. As for proper
law enforcement, they are required and expected to investigate any
activity that might constitute an illegal pyramid scheme. A pyramidal
stucture is not illegal. Unfortunately, fraud has been perpetrated when
no product or service of substance is distributed via the structure.
The fraud is not due to the structure, but to the lack of substance.
Nonetheless, the structure, because of its ease and frequency of
misuse, has been rendered suspect, and reasonably so. We therefore
rely on the investigative resources of our law enforcement agencies
and the judgment of our courts to evaluate the substance and protect
us from fraud. I applaud any who, having survived the process of
investigation and frequently accompanying hysteria, go on to serve
a beneficial purpose.

>>Martin Clemons
>>"It's the people we touch, and how they remember us,
>> that define our lives on this earth..."
>
> How do we remember scam artists? No matter the platitudes, it
>is not a fond memory.

It sounds as though you might have been a victim. If so, you
do have my sincere sympathy, and I hope that you might have found
some satisfaction from apprehension and prosecution. If the scam had
undergone investigation prior to your investment, then you might have
been protected. If it was investigated and cleared, then either the process
was not sufficiently rigorous, or you simply chose an investment not
suited to your abilities or inclinations. The reaction confirms the platitude.

>--
>Julian Macassey, 415.647.2217

Martin Clemons

David Richards

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

In article <5fino1$i...@sjx-ixn10.ix.netcom.com>,

D. Martin Clemons <dma...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <julianE6...@netcom.com>,
> jul...@netcom.com (Julian Macassey) wrote:
>> Why would that be? Please tell us why evil law enforcement
>>keep picking on pyramid schemes.
>>
> I have been fortunate never to have encountered "evil" law
>enforcement, so I am not sure what might motivate them.

Don't worry, eventually they'll get around to you- we've already had our
share of fun- the S.S. stole an entire BBS for years, eventually gave
everything back without even an apology.

>We therefore rely on the investigative resources of our law enforcement

Unfortunately, the investigate resources of our law-enforcement have a
decided tendency to act first and ask questions later, as evidenced by
all the abuses, small (ripco, Randy Weaver) and large (MOVE, Waco, Steve
Jackson Games) in recent memory.

This is particular true of anything (Computers, Religions, MLM schemes)
that they don't fully understand. I'm not saying that everybody who's
ever had the iron fist of law enforcement land on them has been innocent,
but there is a fine line between "investigation" and "inquisition".

>agencies and the judgment of our courts to evaluate the substance and protect
>us from fraud. I applaud any who, having survived the process of
>investigation and frequently accompanying hysteria, go on to serve
>a beneficial purpose.

Thanks, I think :-)

stw...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2019, 8:46:48 AM2/28/19
On Saturday, March 1, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, John A. Weeks III wrote:
> Based on stories that I have heard coming out of the San Francisco
> bay area, it appears that Destiny Telecom, the phone card company,
> has been raided and shut down by California authorities. Many of
> their records were also seized as evidence, which would hinder any
> restart of the Destiny program until the current action is settled.
>
> Here is a web link to a story from Van's excellent Discount LD Digest:
>
> http://www.thedigest.com/current/77-49.html
>
> -john-

> Hello John,
My name is Shane White. I was involved with Destiny Telecom with my father. I am not sure you will get this but I will make this short as I doubt anyone gets this. I was doing some surfing and came across this post from 1997 about Destiny Telecom.
My father and I were involved with Destiny in Dallas Texas and met many people and went to many meetings. I was mildly successful but had fun and it brought my father & I a little closer together. If you would like to respond my e-mail is stw...@gmail.com.

Thank you

Shane White