Question about fax call-blocking -> based on Station-ID?

Telecom Guy

Jul 27, 2013, 10:44:45 AM7/27/13
I understand that group-2 fax machines exchange some electronic
information when a fax is sent from one machine to another. This
information includes the phone number and company-name that is
programmed into a fax machine and normally appears in small print at
the top of each fax page as printed by the receiving fax.

I believe this information might be known as "Station Identification"
information or data.

I want to know if there are any fax machines or fax-software (running on
a PC being used as a fax machine) that can block or drop incoming faxes
based on this phone/company (station-ID) data?

Note: I am not talking about being able to drop/block a call based on
caller ID. I want to be able to block/drop incoming fax calls based on
the Station-ID info that can be (and if I'm not mistaken, must be)
pre-programmed into fax machines by their owners before use. I
understand that in some (or many) cases, a sending machine may not have
any of this info programmed into their device, in which case I should
still be able to block/drop such calls if they send null information.

Is there a name or term for this specific fax-blocking ability?

Are there any fax machines (specific brands/models) or PC fax software
that can do this?

James Cloos

Jul 28, 2013, 9:18:10 AM7/28/13
> Are there any fax machines (specific brands/models) or PC fax software
> that can [check the Transmission Subscriber Identifiers (TSI) of the
> remote fax machine against an access control list]?

Hylafax has that capability. Quoting from one of its man pages:

,----< excerpt from hylafax-server(5) >
| HylaFAX supports a simple form of access control for receiving facsim‐
| ile. Each faxgetty process may be configured to check the Transmission
| Subscriber Identifiers (TSI) of the remote fax machine against an
| access control list, typically etc/tsi. Only if the TSI is matched by
| a regular expression pattern in the file, is the remote machine permit‐
| ted to transmit a document. This mechanism can be used, for example,
| to guard against junk fax.
`----

You will need a Linux or BSD box for the hylafax server. It can be a
virtual, provided it has sole access to the modem.

If you run windows, there is a hyla client at:

http://wphfforwin7.sourceforge.net/

which will make sending easier.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cl...@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Jim Nugent

Dec 25, 2014, 9:13:22 AM12/25/14
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 10:44:45 -0400, Telecom Guy <Tel...@Guy.com>
wrote in <51F3DCDD...@Guy.com>:

>I understand that group-2 fax machines exchange some electronic
>information when a fax is sent from one machine to another. This
>information includes the phone number and company-name that is
>programmed into a fax machine and normally appears in small print at
>the top of each fax page as printed by the receiving fax.
>
>I believe this information might be known as "Station Identification"
>information or data.
>
>I want to know if there are any fax machines or fax-software (running on
>a PC being used as a fax machine) that can block or drop incoming faxes
>based on this phone/company (station-ID) data?

Another poster gives at least one answer to your question.

A note to keep in mind is that this information is very easy to spoof,
so it would only be useful for situations where you are not being
willfully "targeted, e.g., a wrong number.." Even my "hardware" fax
appears to let you enter this information yourself.

BTW While playing with the menu on my Lexmark All-In-One, I came
across an entry for BLOCKING, which if entered, accepts a list of
names and phone numbers. I can't test it because my wife is using the
phone.
--
Jim

I'll believe a corporation is just like a person when the State of Texas executes one.

John Sincak

Dec 18, 2021, 2:51:41 PM12/18/21
I also have a question about call fax blocking - what the FUCK is a 'Fax'????