Switching from Dish VIP722 to Hopper

Ed Sowell

Nov 12, 2022, 3:39:20 PM11/12/22
We've been with Dish for about 15 years. The box has been replaced once due to HD failure, and perhaps upgraded. My notes say the VIP722 was installed in 2011.

We opted out of going to the Hopper because we have only one TV and saw no advantage with the Hopper. Also the setup up is rather complex since everything (Dish box, CD player, Blu-ray, Roku box, etc) goes through a Pioneer VSX-1021 that sets the input and connected it to the TV, a Samsung UN55ES6150F. Also, we have a Universal Genesis Remote Control that I programmed to set everything with the click of one button.

All went well for many years, but we are now problems are cropping. For example, at we settling in to watch the recorded evening and the screen flashes a connectivity problem and suggests several options to fix it, one of which is unplugging the VIP722 for 10-5 seconds and waiting about 10-20 minutes for it to reload everything. Kind of ruins the evening.

My guess is keeping this old box running is not a high priority for Dish and they want to switch to Hopper. A couple years ago, I decided to do that so I guy came to the door with a Hopper under his arm, cam in and disconnected everything, THEN went outside, looked up and said "Oh. We can't go up on that tile roof!" Strange, since that was perfectly obvious from the curb! It took him an hour to get everything hooked back up to the VIP722.

Now that it looks like I should bite the bullet and go to Hopper, I thought I seek some advice on the way forward. For example:
a) Should I simply forget the "free" offer from Dish, buy the Hopper, and find an installer who will go on a tile roof?
b) will I have to also replace the TV?
c) what are the chances the the codes for the Hopper will be available for my old Genesis remote ?

Thanks in advance.