Can't Program Remote to Sylvania TV

Paul

Oct 7, 2009, 1:13:25 PM10/7/09
I have a DishPlayer-DVR 522 with a 5.0 IR remote and a 6.0 IR/UHF
remote. My second TV is a Sylvania LC225SSX flat screen LCD TV. I am
not able to program either remote to the Sylvania TV even though I can
program the remotes to two other TVs with no difficulty.

I tried to scan for a code that would work with the Sylvania to no
avail. Sylvania customer support could not help.

So I have to use two remotes: the Dish remote for the satellite
receiver, and the Sylvania remote for the TV.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try and how to
control both devices with one remote, preferably the Dish remote. Can
a Dish remote learn from another remote?

Dave C.

Oct 7, 2009, 1:45:10 AM10/7/09

What you want is a Universal (brand) R7. -Dave

--
Dave C. <no...@nohow.never>

Mike Van Pelt

Oct 7, 2009, 3:58:09 PM10/7/09
In article <9d8abbd8-f72c-4211...@31g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,

Paul <paul....@christianliving.com> wrote:
>I have a DishPlayer-DVR 522 with a 5.0 IR remote and a 6.0 IR/UHF
>remote. My second TV is a Sylvania LC225SSX flat screen LCD TV.

Nice TV. I just got one of those recently.

Same problem, though. I called Dish, I went over all the
possible codes with the service rep, and no luck.

I swore off "universal" remotes years ago, because every single
one of them I ever tried was missing critical functionality.
All you could really do with them was basic
"volume/channel/on/off", so all they did was add yet another
remote to juggle.

If there is one remote out there (not the $200 things) that
really is universal, I'd love to give it a shot. Switch TV
inputs: Non-negotiable requirement. DVR functions including the
skip forward/back: Non- negotiable requirements. Change TV
display mode, control all volume via the stereo, ditto.

If it knows about secret codes to turn stuff on or off (not just
toggle and guess whether it was already on/off) that would be a
huge win. Or if it remembers what is on and what is off, that
would be just as good.

--
Mike Van Pelt "If they're going to talk about
mvp.at.calweb.com Camelot, then we get to talk about

Jean Smith

Oct 7, 2009, 4:18:59 PM10/7/09
On 2009-10-07 14:58:09 -0500, m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) said:

> In article <9d8abbd8-f72c-4211...@31g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
> Paul <paul....@christianliving.com> wrote:
>> I have a DishPlayer-DVR 522 with a 5.0 IR remote and a 6.0 IR/UHF
>> remote. My second TV is a Sylvania LC225SSX flat screen LCD TV.
>
> Nice TV. I just got one of those recently.
>
> Same problem, though. I called Dish, I went over all the
> possible codes with the service rep, and no luck.
>
> I swore off "universal" remotes years ago, because every single
> one of them I ever tried was missing critical functionality.
> All you could really do with them was basic
> "volume/channel/on/off", so all they did was add yet another
> remote to juggle.
>
> If there is one remote out there (not the $200 things) that
> really is universal, I'd love to give it a shot. Switch TV
> inputs: Non-negotiable requirement. DVR functions including the
> skip forward/back: Non- negotiable requirements. Change TV
> display mode, control all volume via the stereo, ditto.
>
> If it knows about secret codes to turn stuff on or off (not just
> toggle and guess whether it was already on/off) that would be a
> huge win. Or if it remembers what is on and what is off, that
> would be just as good.

Have you been through the "sylvania codes SITE:dishnetwork.net" Google?
And been through sites like:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/downloads/DTVPal_DVR_UG.pdf
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/remotes/techremoezcode.shtml
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/remotes/techremo5.4_6.4code.shtml

but

not found the right one?
--
event http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/hqblog
Not the News http://www.dropdobbs.com/get-the-facts/

Dave C.

Oct 7, 2009, 5:32:53 AM10/7/09
On 07 Oct 2009 19:58:09 GMT

m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) wrote:

> In article <9d8abbd8-f72c-4211...@31g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
> Paul <paul....@christianliving.com> wrote:
> >I have a DishPlayer-DVR 522 with a 5.0 IR remote and a 6.0 IR/UHF
> >remote. My second TV is a Sylvania LC225SSX flat screen LCD TV.
>
> Nice TV. I just got one of those recently.
>
> Same problem, though. I called Dish, I went over all the
> possible codes with the service rep, and no luck.
>
> I swore off "universal" remotes years ago, because every single
> one of them I ever tried was missing critical functionality.
> All you could really do with them was basic
> "volume/channel/on/off", so all they did was add yet another
> remote to juggle.
>
> If there is one remote out there (not the $200 things) that
> really is universal, I'd love to give it a shot.

Universal (brand) R7. I think I paid $30 for mine.

>Switch TV
> inputs: Non-negotiable requirement.

Yes, has a dedicated input button.

> DVR functions including the
> skip forward/back: Non- negotiable requirements.

Yes, has dedicated skip forward and back buttons.

> Change TV
> display mode,

Doesn't have dedicated buttons for that. But I stole one of the PIP buttons that I don't use to change TV display mode. Works fine.

> control all volume via the stereo, ditto.

Will control all functions of our Onkyo A/V receiver. You can even lock the volume buttons to a certain device, if you want to. Like if you are always using the stereo for sound (when watching TV), the volume button can be set to ONLY control the stereo.

> If it knows about secret codes to turn stuff on or off (not just
> toggle and guess whether it was already on/off) that would be a
> huge win. Or if it remembers what is on and what is off, that
> would be just as good.

It has a home theater function to turn everything on or everything off. It won't remember what is on or off, though. To get that function, you'd probably have to spend hundreds of dollars. -Dave

Kimba W Lion

Oct 7, 2009, 9:36:56 PM10/7/09
Paul <paul....@christianliving.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try

Try the codes for some other made-in-China TVs. I found that Emerson codes
work for my Insignia TV. Maybe some other brand works with Sylvania.

--
Intelligent Life Is All Around Us
http://intelligentlife.info/

Char Jackson

Oct 7, 2009, 10:15:54 PM10/7/09
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 17:32:53 +0800, "Dave C." <no...@nohow.never>
wrote:

Just thinking out loud, I don't see how you'd do that from a remote,
regardless of the cost. It seems like the AV equipment would have to
support it, and I don't see a way around that.

(I'm referring to turning things on or off via remote control,
regardless of whether they are already in the desired state.)

Todd Allcock

Oct 8, 2009, 12:28:18 AM10/8/09
At 07 Oct 2009 21:15:54 -0500 Char Jackson wrote:

> >> If it knows about secret codes to turn stuff on or off (not just
> >> toggle and guess whether it was already on/off) that would be a
> >> huge win. Or if it remembers what is on and what is off, that
> >> would be just as good.
> >
> >It has a home theater function to turn everything on or everything off.
It won't remember what is on or off, though. To get that function, you'd
probably have to spend hundreds of dollars. -Dave

> Just thinking out loud, I don't see how you'd do that from a remote,
> regardless of the cost. It seems like the AV equipment would have to
> support it, and I don't see a way around that.
>
> (I'm referring to turning things on or off via remote control,
> regardless of whether they are already in the desired state.)

As mentioned earlier, a lot of home theater equipment has discrete codes
for "on" and "off" in addition to the usual "power" (toggle) code, so yes,
the equipment has to support discrete on/off codes.

In the case of my cheap One4Alls, it presumes everything is already either
off or on, and the "home theater power" function simply blasts a power
signal for each device you program as part of the "theater."

Paul

Oct 8, 2009, 9:39:30 AM10/8/09
On Oct 7, 4:18 pm, Jean Smith <goterm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-10-07 14:58:09 -0500, m...@web1.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt) said:
>
> Have you been through the "sylvania codes SITE:dishnetwork.net" Google?
> And been through sites like:http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/downloads/DTVPal_DVR_UG.pdfhttp://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/t...http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/t...

> but
>
> not found the right one?
> --
Thanks for the pointers, Jean. From them I picked up several
additional codes that I didn't previously try. Some were invalid
(remote didn't return three blinks), some were valid. But none worked
with this receiver.

Mike Van Pelt

Oct 8, 2009, 4:01:28 PM10/8/09
In article <hait3i$vk2$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

On the phone with the CSR, I went through the process (for the
second time) that supposedly scans through every single code the
Dish remote can send. No luck.

BobaBird

Oct 8, 2009, 4:58:13 PM10/8/09
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:18:59 -0500, Jean Smith <gote...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > In article <9d8abbd8-f72c-4211...@31g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
> > Paul <paul....@christianliving.com> wrote:
> >> I have a DishPlayer-DVR 522 with a 5.0 IR remote and a 6.0 IR/UHF
> >> remote. My second TV is a Sylvania LC225SSX flat screen LCD TV.
> >
> > Nice TV. I just got one of those recently.
> >
> > Same problem, though. I called Dish, I went over all the
> > possible codes with the service rep, and no luck.

Note that the third link is for the new 5.4/6.4 remote that has more
stored device codes than your 5.0 or the more recent 5.3. It could be
that one of the codes your 5.0 didn't recognize will work with your
set.

Another possibility from Dish is the 20.0/21.0. It too has more
device codes, but it can also learn missing buttons. It has some
features your 522 won't be able to use, like backing up the receiver's
timers and user settings in the remote, and remote settings in the
receiver, in case either has to be replaced. Those features work only
with the 722k and maybe 222k receivers.
--

Charles
Visit the Echostar Knowledge Base

Jean Smith

Oct 8, 2009, 5:07:05 PM10/8/09

I was really suggesting trying the search since dishnetwork.com had
many pages returned and only you can judge the appropriate ones.

Jean Smith

Oct 8, 2009, 5:43:31 PM10/8/09

I go with the get the CSR to send you a remote that is newer than the
TV option though I can't imagine life without a DVR.

Paul

Oct 10, 2009, 9:18:54 PM10/10/09
Based on my reading about this problem on other boards, I conclude
that my remote doesn't have the necessary code (still unknown) built
in. Remotes 6.3 and 6.4 can "speak" additional Sylvania codes 756 and
764 which are the only listed codes my model 5.0 can't. So I will ask
around town to see if I can find someone with one of them to try. If
that works, then I can buy a newer remote on eBay.

Jean Smith

Oct 11, 2009, 2:48:30 AM10/11/09

Why not call the Dish Move people?

Paul

Nov 8, 2009, 5:08:48 PM11/8/09
> Another possibility from Dish is the 20.0/21.0.  It too has more
> device codes, but it can also learn missing buttons.  It has some

Took your advice and solved the problem. I bought a remote model
20.0/21.0 pair, new, on eBay for $25. I think these are the latest
remote control technology that Dish sells.

First, these support more remote codes, and I hoped to find one modern
enough to control my new Sylvania TV. I also tried all the Funai
codes as I have read that Funai makes many models of Sylvania TVs.
None worked.

Then I tried the final method: using the learning capability of these
clever remotes. That did the trick. I was able to program the Dish
remote for TV on/off, volume up/down, and mute.

Paul

MrBreeze

Dec 3, 2009, 9:04:30 PM12/3/09

Please explain how you were able to program the on/off function for
the TV. I haven't been able to get it to work.

Thanks

Paul

Dec 12, 2009, 8:30:04 PM12/12/09

> Please explain how you were able to program the on/off function for
> the TV. I haven't been able to get it to work.

I just used the on/off button from the Sylvania remote to speak to the
Dish learning remote where I think I used the red TV on/off button.
If that doesn't work, try the larger red Power button as I think you
have already pressed the TV mode button to define the red Power button
as being the on/off power button for TV.

I recall something in the instructions for programming this remote
that sometimes you had to repeat the command because it wouldn't
always catch it the first time.

Good luck.