Hopper 2/Joey upgrade from 722k

Dan

Oct 29, 2018, 3:29:38 PM10/29/18
First, I really like the Hopper/Joey and its motion sensitive
lighted 54.0 remote controls. Since upgrading a few days ago,
I've spent hours per day experimenting with menus and options,
and mostly things have gone smoothly. However, while it's a
welcome technological advance beyond its predecessors, there are
lingering questions about some of Hopper's (dis)improvements.

For example:

1. Click the "Home" button twice to open the "Menu" folder.
Select "Search" and under "Most Popular Searches," select
"College Football" and a complete list appears in
chronological order. Unfortunately, searching by user-
selectable themes and filters is no longer an option.
When did Dish abandon this essential search interface?
The user manual file "DN000364_FINALedited3_optimized.pdf"
describes many other useful features, including "Themes and
Search" filtering, which are similarly not available. This
has to be the biggest problem with the Hopper 2 I've found.

2. Clicking the "Select" button on any program listed on the
Guide or while viewing any channel defaults to record that
program, requiring several more steps to set it to autotune
(the "Edit Timer" feature does provide options to record or
autotune Once, Only New, New and Reruns, etc., so credit to
the Dish/Echostar engineers for preserving those options).
Also, the "Timer Notification" window appears only about
one minute before the timer activates and with no countdown.

2. No more screensaver, except on standby. This means that
persistent stationary images on the screen (paused, music
channels, etc.) may cause burn-in if your TV doesn't have
its own timer for screensaver or standby (music channels
on Sirius and CD slightly dim the display after 4 minutes).

3. The learning curve for average Dish subscribers accustomed
to older receivers seems counterintuitive and unnecessarily
tedious. Finding answers on the Internet is disappointing,
with many saying the Hopper needs software updates to make
its search features more comprehensive and user friendly
(I tried "satelliteguys" but they weren't much help either).

Dan