Nebraska: Parental Rights, daughter joins Airforce

Cevin C

Dec 29, 2000, 10:30:51 AM12/29/00
I have joint legal custody of my 17 year old daughter (turns 18 in late Jan
2001) and I just signed a release for her to join the Airforce.

How can obtain a copy of her enlistment papers? Do I have to go through the
freedom of information act? LOL

Thanks! Please reply to my e-mail address (num...@hotmail.com).

Cevin C.

Keith

Dec 30, 2000, 11:56:53 AM12/30/00

Contact the Air Force Recruiting Station where she signed up.

--

Best Regards,

Keith (Use Reply-to for email)
Where do you discover free software for Windows? Strongsignals DOT COM is a
great place to start: http://Strongsignals.com "Where would Christianity be
if Jesus got eight to fifteen years with time off for good behavior?" NY
State Senator James Donovan, speaking in support of capital punishment.

nos...@isp.com

Dec 30, 2000, 11:57:07 AM12/30/00
On Fri, 29 Dec 2000 in misc.legal you wrote:

> I have joint legal custody of my 17 year
> old daughter (turns 18 in late Jan
> 2001) and I just signed a release for her
> to join the Airforce.
>
>How can obtain a copy of her enlistment papers?

Say to your daughter, in substance if not in these precise words, "Please give
me a copy of your enlistment papers?" and, if the nature of your relationship
is such that she will do so: Voila! - you will have obtained a copy.

> Do I have to go through the
>freedom of information act? LOL

Trick question because premised on an incorrect assumption: You aren't
entitled (as a matter of right) to these papers from the federal government.

Absent explicit agreement by and authorization from your daughter -- and even
then (especially viz-a-viz the military), the answer still may be: No -- the
government is prohibited from providing to personA non-public personal
information about Ms.B (especially if obtained directly from Ms.B acting under
some form of compulsion, e.g., making disclosures needed to become a
governmental employee including as a member of the military.

It is immaterial that the information requestor is the subject's parent.

Among the statutes so directing are the so-called "Privacy Act" addendum
(amendments) to the (federal) Freedom of Information Act.