The Net is Contaminated By CLUELESS NETJUNKIE WANNABES!

Petri Niemelä

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98
to PixieFuel

> I first called a bulletin board system when I was 11 years old and was in awe.
> I was laughed at as people played their Tele-Arena, their Pit, their Trade War
> 2001, and their Barren Realms Elite games.

I really liked the pit and BRE, though I really never learned the tradewar, though
I didn't try much either :)

> Kids in school thought you were
> powerful because you used words like BBS and modem. Today they're common
> knowledge terms except they are used in a way that most online veterans
> despise.

Yes, although still everyone doesn't know what BBS is...And many of them dies
because of web (I mean BBS:ses), and to be honest even I myself haven't been
calling much to BBS:ses for awhile because of the net, and since I bought ISDN it's
even harder, though I have 14.4k modem... Though I "telnetted" to one BBS
today to download some games...

> I was calling a local Maximus board and
> was so excited about the new UNIX shell-based internet service that would be up
> and running.

I tried to set up a maximum board once myself... :)

> The World Wide Web was like this amazing thing that I could soon
> go on. Back then I think maybe a total of a few thousand people would go on
> there during a day. Now it's that many a second. It's preposterous!

Yes, but is it so bad that there's so many people ? I know that many of them might
be there just because of it's cool, but hey what can you do when everythings refers
to e-mail and web addresses... Soon even those who don't anything about computers
are surfing with they're webtv's (huoh), I think that's kind of annoying, but hey,
what do you do, and then again should you deny they're right for information...

> If you can't get the vein of my argument here, then stick around, because I
> hear the public likes a good feather-ruffling, and that's what I'm going to do.

I know alright what you're talking about and I had this same feeling about windows
95 too, which I'm using right now, that once you knew those dos commands and it was
cool, now you just point'n'click because "it has to be so easy that everyone knows
how to do it", and there's no use of your dos skills anymore coz everyone's just
using '95... Yet win95 is far more unstable than DOS and you get all the time
those Illegal operation errors... And the worst of it all is that to get to net and
to play many of the newest games you have to have win95, even if you wouldn't want
it otherwise...!!!And it doesn't even work with all those dos programs!!! Ok,
maybe I'm of the subject but somehow I saw there a connection and I had to say what
I think about win95 and ms... Windows is not a virus, viruses do something!

> Being a teenager who likes to learn, but not teach her know-how, I get
> thoroughly irritated when people ask me questions about BBSes that I know but
> can't answer in as simplistic Layman's terms as they would understand. "First,
> I dial a number with my modem" .. "wait, wait, wait, how do you dial?" Second
> off, the only people I can seemingly get along with are the ones I've known way
> back in Brownieland who I can reminisce on about old Wildcat BBSes and dreaming
> of RIP and ASCII graphic drawing.

Yeah, I know that feeling I have hard time even explaining what I do when I call to
BBS:ses... It's just so hard/annoying... Sometimes when they were really curious
and wanted to know what I do like am I downloading some files with viruses (once
they had really a virusfobia), I just intentionally used some bbs -terms like "I'm
downloading/leeching some files from the box/can (ok, I don't know what do you call
bbs in america but that's the closes translation from finnish word "purkki"), I
think they didn't like that :)

> Corporate America has killed the whole essence of the Internet. Picture this,
> the Internet as little Johnny Roberts. Corporate America buys him up, he sells
> out, and BOOM! big media storm, everyone LOVES Johnny. Yeah. So when are they
> going to stop and let everyone who was on here before all the noise enjoy their
> homeground?

Yes, I'm tired of this net for everyone hype too, if people want it go buy it
(access), but do they really have to push it to everyone.. well I guess so...

> Yesterday, we'd turn a dial in cyberspace and get philosophical conversations,
> a handful of teenager phreakers and hackers in Anywhere, USA, and a few people
> discussing the possibilities of typical school lunch mashed potatos. Today we
> can turn a dial in cyberspace and get nothing but noise. People in their
> 30's-40's thinking they're "hip" and all into the GROOVE of what it's like to
> be an online person,

Yeah, because of the media hype...

> high school girls looking for cute boys in MTV chat rooms
> on AOL,

What's bad with that ? :)

> and little kids looking up info on the WWF.

Yeah, and maybe porn channels too :) though it's just had to be accepted I think..
And those censoring progz should be thrown into a trashcan, coz I just read an
article which said that they censor 90% of EVERYTHING(!) not just porn...

> And don't get me started
> on the never-ending spam and perv E-mails I get every five minutes. Sure,
> there were always pervs online back when times were good and we'd sip lemonade
> and watch the text roll by on our ircII programs. But today they're even more
> horrible.

Yeah, I've recently got some spams too, and some are so twisted like we have a
special prize for you because we harass you, just click to this page, yeah sure
there's no prizes just some stupid product pics of what they're advertising!

> Newsgroups were better back then also, less spam as I said, more talk.

Yep, they're FULL of spam!

> Speaking of newsgroups and messages, MindVox was a big staple back then. First
> time I logged on, I lurked, I always lurked, I never posted. But now I go into
> the irc channel sometimes. (except I don't make the mistake of doing that while
> on this AOL account)

Why ? phone bills ?

> I miss the old days. The "new" days in short reek like nasty digested chicken
> grease and vomit. I'm tired of all this "BE IN THE NOW, SURF THE NET, GET
> CAUGHT IN THE WEB" hype! Every movie now has a web page, every tv show, every
> PERSON. It's really sad!

Well, I don't think is it so bad that movies have web pages ? I like to check web
pages of movies which I might go to see...But I know what you mean with that hype
thing........

> So considering if I ever really took action against Mr. Corporate America, I
> would probably lose anyway and not have anything to do about it, you know?

Yeah, and what can ANYONE do ?

> So
> I guess all I can do right now is sit here and reminisce about all those good
> times, calling people with call waiting to knock them offline and steal their
> node on a 5 line BBS just to talk to someone else. Creating fake accounts
> (What? fake accounts? Aren't they like, outlawed now or something?) to get more
> time, not to mention hacking when nobody knew what the hell it really was.

Wow, you're really had fun :) How do you hack btw :) ? I've always wondered that,
do "hackers" use some progz or have they got some supernatural guessing instinct or
do they somehow code/program they're way in ?

> And here I sit. I feel almost betraying to my computer for upgrading it to a
> 14.4 and an SVGA monitor from it's 286/Monochrome/2400 baud glory I've had for
> the past 4 years.

Well, I feel I betrayed myself when I installed 95, coz I was, and am still against
it, but it's because it's a standard and without it you get so much limitations,
that when one of my friend promised to copy it to me I let him do it... And no
my dos games won't work, ansis don't work in 95's dos 7 and machine just tilts and
so on.. Not to mention that there's no undelete command in 95's dos...And you have
to use only 95's disk tools (dos 7 doesn't let you use dos tools) like defrag, even
though you can't do anything else while it's doing it in a window or something
might go wrong... really wise!

> I also feel bad about using AOL, but the only reason is
> because there are no local internet services left that have my precious UNIX
> shell *sniff*
> And nobody knows the term "telnet" anymore.

Well, I feel bad about using windows 95.. well I telnet sometimes, but I use
win95's telnet progz not unix shell...

> Anyway, I have to eat my dinner, so I leave with one request. If you get this
> and it affects you somehow and brings at least a tiny tear to your eye about
> the days of yore on local bulletin board systems,

It surely does... Sometime ago someone asked: Is there such thing as cyberculture
?I said, I think there is, or atleast was in BBS:ses...
I think that's a real cyberculture, not that hypermedia thing.......

> then please post this message
> to anyone else out there who might possibly remember the good times.
>
> And reply. I like mail, I miss real humans
>
> ramen and gigabytes,
> Linda "dilate" MacIntyre
> -Pixi...@aol.com
>
> and yes, that aol makes me cringe too

I don't want to offend you or anyone, but it's interesting that you are a teenage
girl, I mean, somehow I have had this kind of picture that girls don't call much
bbs:ses or trade filez or play online games, but I guess I was wrong, though I
still think that majority of girls don't call/have called much to bbs, or am I
still wrong?It's nice to know that there is such girls that like to call bbs:ses
and actually value those kind of things!

--
--- -=( Petri Niemelä )=-
(petri....@netsonic.fi) private

PixieFuel

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Would this be called my manifesto? Hell, I really don't know. I'm just a
teenage girl bordering my Sweet Sixteen and all I can think about is how
grateful I am to have experienced a chunk of the online world before it was
contaminated.

I first called a bulletin board system when I was 11 years old and was in awe.
I was laughed at as people played their Tele-Arena, their Pit, their Trade War

2001, and their Barren Realms Elite games. I became accepted as a little gnat
first off, bothering people for information, but when they saw I'd cause no
harm, I was accepted. I was accepted as an online entity. I think they called
me Brownie (as in the Girl Scout troop). Anyhow, before I go off on any more
of a tangent, the world was good back then. Kids in school thought you were

powerful because you used words like BBS and modem. Today they're common
knowledge terms except they are used in a way that most online veterans
despise.

And as you walk down the street you hear "Do you use online? I have an e-mail
address and my own web page! It's way cyberpunk!"

Oi vey.

That's one phrase that pisses me off "Do you use online" as if the whole system
is just called "online". And it really gets to me that nobody respects the
internet today. Back in 1994 I think, I was calling a local Maximus board and

was so excited about the new UNIX shell-based internet service that would be up

and running. The World Wide Web was like this amazing thing that I could soon

go on. Back then I think maybe a total of a few thousand people would go on

there during a day. Now it's that many a second. It's preposterous! The
consumption rate of bandwidth these days by ignorant people tampering with
their Prodigy and AOL tools reminds me of Brave New World. Sooner or later,
we'll be decanting screenames.

Yet I find programs now that do that.

[...]

be an online person, high school girls looking for cute boys in MTV chat rooms
on AOL, and little kids looking up info on the WWF. And don't get me started

[...]

would probably lose anyway and not have anything to do about it, you know? So

I guess all I can do right now is sit here and reminisce about all those good
times, calling people with call waiting to knock them offline and steal their
node on a 5 line BBS just to talk to someone else. Creating fake accounts
(What? fake accounts? Aren't they like, outlawed now or something?) to get more
time, not to mention hacking when nobody knew what the hell it really was.

And here I sit. I feel almost betraying to my computer for upgrading it to a

14.4 and an SVGA monitor from it's 286/Monochrome/2400 baud glory I've had for

the past 4 years. I also feel bad about using AOL, but the only reason is

because there are no local internet services left that have my precious UNIX
shell *sniff*
And nobody knows the term "telnet" anymore.

Anyway, I have to eat my dinner, so I leave with one request. If you get this

and it affects you somehow and brings at least a tiny tear to your eye about

the days of yore on local bulletin board systems, then please post this message

Ben Kaiser

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

I certainly share your feelings regarding the commercialization/
decay/ slow lingering death of the/ whatever you feel like calling it
of the internet.

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Amazingly enough, I do know the word "Telnet." In fact, it's one of
my favorite tools. I use it to get to my bash shell, where I use Lynx
for most of my web browsing needs. The old way still blows all the
others out of the water AFA speed goes. There are Unices out there. .
. you just have to look. Try "free Unix shell" on Altavista.

Also, some people have taken on the commercialization and had some
measure of success. What about Linux? GNU?

I've gotta go.

Bye

Ben Kaiser
juju...@geocities.com

BTW, I despise geoshitties, but I'll take their free e-mail.

James Menotti Jr.

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

The net grows and moves. Not everone uses IBM clones and Macs, There are the UNIX
users and the others text users. Xwindows and Pine for every text writeing need.
Games and the net drive the hardware poeple and when someone finds a better way.
Software writes something the exceeds the specs and the hardware R&D people still
have a job. Not everyone has common sence. not everyone can graspe the power the
little wire brings to their house. But we need the masses to keep out world
expanding and cheap. And if your paying to much for internet access. Join
earthlink, or Pacbell internet. GTE my have the same deal as PAcBell. But get out
of those tourist traps of a net provider...

Think about it.
--
James Menotti Jr.

James Kibo Parry

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

In alt.cyberpunk, pixi...@aol.com (PixieFuel) wrote:

> Would this be called my manifesto? Hell, I really don't know. I'm just a
> teenage girl bordering my Sweet Sixteen and all I can think about is how
> grateful I am to have experienced a chunk of the online world before it was
> contaminated.

Hey, do you have a boyfriend? There's this guy, Lee S. Bumgarner, who
would be just *perfect* for you.

> I first called a bulletin board system when I was 11 years old and was in awe.
> I was laughed at as people played their Tele-Arena, their Pit, their Trade War
> 2001, and their Barren Realms Elite games. I became accepted as a little gnat
> first off, bothering people for information, but when they saw I'd cause no
> harm, I was accepted. I was accepted as an online entity. I think they called
> me Brownie (as in the Girl Scout troop). Anyhow, before I go off on any more
> of a tangent, the world was good back then. Kids in school thought you were
> powerful because you used words like BBS and modem. Today they're common
> knowledge terms except they are used in a way that most online veterans
> despise.

Oh, come on, "modem" isn't bad if it has the word "cable" somewhere near it.

And "BBS" wouldn't be bad if you said something like "I'd like to shoot
Jerry Springer in the navel with a painful series of red-hot air-rifle BBs."

> And as you walk down the street you hear "Do you use online? I have an e-mail
> address and my own web page! It's way cyberpunk!"
>
> Oi vey.

Real cyberpunks don't say "oy vey", they say "shazbot!"

> That's one phrase that pisses me off "Do you use online" as if the whole system
> is just called "online". And it really gets to me that nobody respects the
> internet today. Back in 1994 I think, I was calling a local Maximus board and
> was so excited about the new UNIX shell-based internet service that would be up
> and running. The World Wide Web was like this amazing thing that I could soon
> go on. Back then I think maybe a total of a few thousand people would go on
> there during a day. Now it's that many a second. It's preposterous! The
> consumption rate of bandwidth these days by ignorant people tampering with
> their Prodigy and AOL tools reminds me of Brave New World. Sooner or later,
> we'll be decanting screenames.

If there are any left by then. I think that now you're only allowed to
join AOL if you take a screen name like WEENER9999999999996573 because
WEENER9999999999996572 and lower are taken. Eventually AOL's just going
to have to put out a "Sorry! We're full! Use WebTV instead!" sign.
(We may safely assume that WebTV will NEVER be full.)

I think that a better system would be if instead of screen names people
could just use photos of themselves. And just think, then the sex spams
would be zero lines long.

> Yet I find programs now that do that.
>
> If you can't get the vein of my argument here, then stick around, because I
> hear the public likes a good feather-ruffling, and that's what I'm going to do.
> Being a teenager who likes to learn, but not teach her know-how, I get
> thoroughly irritated when people ask me questions about BBSes that I know but
> can't answer in as simplistic Layman's terms as they would understand. "First,
> I dial a number with my modem" .. "wait, wait, wait, how do you dial?"

And then when you actually *do* answer correctly they think you're
talking down to them and get mad. Just think, when you get out of school
you could go into the tech support field and get paid to do that all day!
"Now move the little picture of the arrow to the little picture of the
disk and press the button twice really fast... no, faster..." And when
someone *with* a clue calls you and asks you a good fun technical question
you're not allowed to answer for legal reasons.

Working tech support: a form of hell that didn't exist ten years ago.

WE MUST ACT NOW TO BAN TECH SUPPORT FOREVER!

> [...manifesto trimmed...]

> I miss the old days. The "new" days in short reek like nasty digested chicken
> grease and vomit. I'm tired of all this "BE IN THE NOW, SURF THE NET, GET
> CAUGHT IN THE WEB" hype!

I hear there was this guy who got caught in the Web and the fire department
had to come out and put hot water on his tongue to unfreeze it.

I'm sorry, that didn't make much sense. I better go look up the
correct recipe for hot water in AltaVista.

> Every movie now has a web page, every tv show, every PERSON. It's really sad!

I notice you didn't say that everyone has their own Usenet newsgroup.

> [...]

> And here I sit. I feel almost betraying to my computer for upgrading it to a
> 14.4 and an SVGA monitor from it's 286/Monochrome/2400 baud glory I've had for
> the past 4 years. I also feel bad about using AOL, but the only reason is
> because there are no local internet services left that have my precious UNIX
> shell *sniff*

I believe it is time for you to start your area's only real ISP.
Unless, of course, you're in The WELL's area, in which case you need to
devote every cent you earn towards buying The WELL just so you can
dissolve it to make Lee S. Bumgarner happy.

> Anyway, I have to eat my dinner, so I leave with one request. If you get this
> and it affects you somehow and brings at least a tiny tear to your eye about
> the days of yore on local bulletin board systems, then please post this message
> to anyone else out there who might possibly remember the good times.

I remember before they had lowercase letters. And each bit was stored on
a separate punched card. And that was the ON-LINE storage.

> And reply. I like mail, I miss real humans

Lee S. Bumgarner's definitely available. And he's cool 'cause he's
only got half a Web page.

-- K.

I'm not a real human,
I'm a REAL POSEUR!

James Menotti Jr.

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

James Kibo Parry wrote:

> Hey, do you have a boyfriend? There's this guy, Lee S. Bumgarner, who
> would be just *perfect* for you.

Hmmm a web match maker. Hold on we'll invent someone just for you.

> Oh, come on, "modem" isn't bad if it has the word "cable" somewhere near it.
> And "BBS" wouldn't be bad if you said something like "I'd like to shoot
> Jerry Springer in the navel with a painful series of red-hot air-rifle BBs."

Have you ever thought of contacting Jerry. I'm sure he could find a show you would
fit into.Maybe failed minister?

> Real cyberpunks don't say "oy vey", they say "shazbot!"

> If there are any left by then.

If you have to look for a punk your not a punk....

> I think that now you're only allowed to
> join AOL if you take a screen name like WEENER9999999999996573 because
> WEENER9999999999996572 and lower are taken. Eventually AOL's just going
> to have to put out a "Sorry! We're full! Use WebTV instead!" sign.
> (We may safely assume that WebTV will NEVER be full.)
> I think that a better system would be if instead of screen names people
> could just use photos of themselves. And just think, then the sex spams
> would be zero lines long.

Now I must say you have a point on AOL, but not everyone can resist avertizing. But
who can say the picture you see is the real person behind the handle.

> And then when you actually *do* answer correctly they think you're
> talking down to them and get mad. Just think, when you get out of school
> you could go into the tech support field and get paid to do that all day!
> "Now move the little picture of the arrow to the little picture of the
> disk and press the button twice really fast... no, faster..." And when
> someone *with* a clue calls you and asks you a good fun technical question
> you're not allowed to answer for legal reasons.

HEY! Tech support pays my bills!

> Working tech support: a form of hell that didn't exist ten years ago.
> WE MUST ACT NOW TO BAN TECH SUPPORT FOREVER!

> I hear there was this guy who got caught in the Web and the fire department
> had to come out and put hot water on his tongue to unfreeze it.

Must of been a webpage on AOL.... as slow as 90w oil in Yellowknife.

> I'm sorry, that didn't make much sense. I better go look up the
> correct recipe for hot water in AltaVista.

It's right after the recipe for Ice cubes

> I notice you didn't say that everyone has their own Usenet newsgroup.

Why add to the mess...

> I believe it is time for you to start your area's only real ISP.
> Unless, of course, you're in The WELL's area, in which case you need to
> devote every cent you earn towards buying The WELL just so you can
> dissolve it to make Lee S. Bumgarner happy.

> I remember before they had lowercase letters. And each bit was stored on

> a separate punched card. And that was the ON-LINE storage.

My punch cards had a case punch spot. I could make all sizes of letters. But tell
me did you ever loose your place when you wired a program?

> Lee S. Bumgarner's definitely available. And he's cool 'cause he's
> only got half a Web page.
> -- K.
> I'm not a real human,
> I'm a REAL POSEUR!

So do you get paid?

--
James Menotti Jr. a.k.a. James of Oakrock, squire to Sir Ieuan oYngs Wyth

Brian JARAI Chase

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

In article <19980303220...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
PixieFuel <pixi...@aol.com> wrote:

>Would this be called my manifesto? Hell, I really don't know. I'm just a
>teenage girl bordering my Sweet Sixteen and all I can think about is how
>grateful I am to have experienced a chunk of the online world before it was
>contaminated.

WITH PLUTONIUM! (Archimedes that is).

>I first called a bulletin board system when I was 11 years old and was in awe.

My head exploded initialy as well. By the POWER of FIDONET!!!

>I was laughed at as people played their Tele-Arena, their Pit, their Trade War
>2001, and their Barren Realms Elite games. I became accepted as a little gnat
>first off, bothering people for information, but when they saw I'd cause no
>harm, I was accepted. I was accepted as an online entity. I think they called
>me Brownie (as in the Girl Scout troop). Anyhow, before I go off on any more
>of a tangent, the world was good back then. Kids in school thought you were
>powerful because you used words like BBS and modem. Today they're common
>knowledge terms except they are used in a way that most online veterans
>despise.

That's odd. When I talked to kids in school about computers and modems
they just thought I was a lame-o fukking luser geek... They ran out of
science (but not Archimedes Plutonium's science) for me in high school.
So they had to create "JARAI's special study hour, because he scares us"
which made me an even bigger loser!

BUT NOW I MAKE MORE MONEY THAN THEIR DADS! HA HA HA HA!
(Maniacal angst filled laughter drifts across USENET).

>That's one phrase that pisses me off "Do you use online" as if the whole system
>is just called "online". And it really gets to me that nobody respects the
>internet today.

No respect. Ah Vinney, Joey. You gonna beat some respect into these
clowns, eh!? Soooo, you don't respect the Intanet eh? Well maybe you'll
respect this huh. (Vinney and Joey pummel disrespectful user as
Archimedes Plutonium pedals by on his jumbo tricycle making *peuw* *peuw*
noises with his laser sighted tree branch.)

>Back in 1994 I think, I was calling a local Maximus board and
>was so excited about the new UNIX shell-based internet service that would be up
>and running. The World Wide Web was like this amazing thing that I could soon
>go on. Back then I think maybe a total of a few thousand people would go on
>there during a day. Now it's that many a second. It's preposterous! The
>consumption rate of bandwidth these days by ignorant people tampering with
>their Prodigy and AOL tools reminds me of Brave New World. Sooner or later,
>we'll be decanting screenames.

Are you an alpha or a beta? Shit, my jeans are spliced. You got a
stapler I can fix this with?

And I like totally know where you're at with this online thing. The
Internet has like _sold out_ man. That is like just so lame of it, *I* am
*not* going to its concerts, like, anymore.

>If you can't get the vein of my argument here, then stick around, because I
>hear the public likes a good feather-ruffling, and that's what I'm going to do.

I hear they like a good tar and feathering better though.

>Being a teenager who likes to learn, but not teach her know-how, I get
>thoroughly irritated when people ask me questions about BBSes that I know but
>can't answer in as simplistic Layman's terms as they would understand.

Death to ignorant AOL users! Oops, oh I mean, DEATH TO WebTV users!

> "First,
>I dial a number with my modem" .. "wait, wait, wait, how do you dial?" Second
>off, the only people I can seemingly get along with are the ones I've known way
>back in Brownieland who I can reminisce on about old Wildcat BBSes and dreaming
>of RIP and ASCII graphic drawing.

And QBBS, TBBS, WWIV, Remote Access, and Waffle. And FIDONET, and UUCP
based USENET and e-mail and internet worms and BITNET. Where's the god
damn internet Sysops when you need em today! Nowhere!

>Corporate America has killed the whole essence of the Internet. Picture this,
>the Internet as little Johnny Roberts. Corporate America buys him up, he sells
>out, and BOOM! big media storm, everyone LOVES Johnny. Yeah. So when are they
>going to stop and let everyone who was on here before all the noise enjoy their
>homeground?

Nope, I can't picture that. The internet is just too big and lumpy to
imagine it as some Roberts kid.

>Yesterday, we'd turn a dial in cyberspace and get philosophical conversations,
>a handful of teenager phreakers and hackers in Anywhere, USA, and a few people
>discussing the possibilities of typical school lunch mashed potatos.

Or space potatoes! WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE SPACE POTATOES GUY?!

Kibo?

>Today we can turn a dial in cyberspace and get nothing but noise.

i.e. Background radiation from Archimedes Plutonium.

>People in their
>30's-40's thinking they're "hip" and all into the GROOVE of what it's like to
>be an online person, high school girls looking for cute boys in MTV chat rooms
>on AOL, and little kids looking up info on the WWF.

Yeah, screw all those people in their 30's and 40's and 50's WHO INVENTED
THE INTERNET AS WE KNOW IT!!! They're so lame!

>And don't get me started
>on the never-ending spam and perv E-mails I get every five minutes. Sure,
>there were always pervs online back when times were good and we'd sip lemonade
>and watch the text roll by on our ircII programs. But today they're even more
>horrible.

And when 10% of my freshman college classmates flunked out after the 1st
term because everyone got hooked on MUDs, IRC, and USENET pornography.
Those were the days. Back when alt.tasteless was an unparalleled forum
of literary genius, and when there were less that 1000 newsfroups.

>I miss the old days. The "new" days in short reek like nasty digested chicken
>grease and vomit. I'm tired of all this "BE IN THE NOW, SURF THE NET, GET
>CAUGHT IN THE WEB" hype! Every movie now has a web page, every tv show, every
>PERSON. It's really sad!

Even UPS trucks have URLs on them!

>So considering if I ever really took action against Mr. Corporate America, I
>would probably lose anyway and not have anything to do about it, you know?

Hey now, it is the 90's... Let's not leave out Ms. Corporate America
either.

>So
>I guess all I can do right now is sit here and reminisce about all those good
>times, calling people with call waiting to knock them offline and steal their
>node on a 5 line BBS just to talk to someone else. Creating fake accounts
>(What? fake accounts? Aren't they like, outlawed now or something?) to get more
>time, not to mention hacking when nobody knew what the hell it really was.

Or back when those who thought they knew what it was because they'd seen
War Games, but didn't actually know what it was because what they were
thinking about was actually known as cracking, not hacking -- which is
actually just nerdy clever programming. But then nobody ever listened to
the real hackers who were computer programmers because they're all
introverts and it's not like they can beat up anybody over their stolen
name or anything right? Ooooh how intimidating that lot is... So people
just kept on using the term hacking for cracking.

And then Sandra Bullock became a hacker with a Macintosh... And she hacked
into places with IP addresses like 213.314.345.2

>And here I sit. I feel almost betraying to my computer for upgrading it to a
>14.4 and an SVGA monitor from it's 286/Monochrome/2400 baud glory I've had for
>the past 4 years. I also feel bad about using AOL, but the only reason is
>because there are no local internet services left that have my precious UNIX
>shell *sniff*
>And nobody knows the term "telnet" anymore.

My 286 had an EGA monitor. I bet you would have been jealous.
BTW, in 16 colors, Bass Tour RULZZ!1!!!

>Anyway, I have to eat my dinner, so I leave with one request. If you get this
>and it affects you somehow and brings at least a tiny tear to your eye about
>the days of yore on local bulletin board systems, then please post this message
>to anyone else out there who might possibly remember the good times.

I suggest alt.sys.pdp10 for those who're interested in reading about the
good ol' days before BBSes existed. Also, my computer is bigger than any
other guy's on this echo.

-jarai.

P.S. Still a loser after all these years, but I MAKE MORE MONEY THAN YOUR
DAD! neener neener neener.
--
---

PixieFuel

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

>WITH PLUTONIUM! (Archimedes that is).

Yeah, little green and yellow beady little balls taking their places in the
cracks of net civilization and screwing everything up. Like when Dag brought
plutonium into Claire's apartment and she exiled herself when it all spilled on
her floor in Generation X. Yeah, I read Douglas Coupland, but that was
obvious. I am in High School you know.

>My head exploded initialy as well. By the POWER of >FIDONET!!!

FidoNet is what I miss most... Oh the conferences on there were so wonderful
and powerful. They were so intense and so SIMPLE

>That's odd. When I talked to kids in school about computers and >modems they
just thought I was a lame-o fukking luser geek... >They ran out of science (but
not Archimedes Plutonium's >science) for me in high school. So they had to
create "JARAI's >special study hour, because he scares us" which made me an
>even bigger loser!

Hey they still thought i was a lame-o fukking luser geek, but I was powerful at
the same time like that outcast in the lunchroom reading the Jolly Roger's
Cookbook.

>BUT NOW I MAKE MORE MONEY THAN THEIR DADS! >HA HA HA HA! (Maniacal angst
filled laughter drifts across >USENET).

Laughing the way to the bank... yaaah

>No respect. Ah Vinney, Joey. You gonna beat some respect >into these clowns,
eh!? Soooo, you don't respect the Intanet eh? > Well maybe you'll respect this
huh. (Vinney and Joey pummel >disrespectful user as Archimedes Plutonium
pedals by on his >jumbo tricycle making *peuw* *peuw* noises with his laser
>sighted tree branch.)

Yea! beatdown! Too bad violence doesn't solve anything and it would suck to
mix up online life with offline lifein that way :)

>Are you an alpha or a beta? Shit, my jeans are spliced. You got >a stapler I
can fix this with?

In all egotistical honesty, I'm an Alpha :) Just call me Lenina :)

>And I like totally know where you're at with this online thing. >The Internet
has like _sold out_ man. That is like just so lame >of >it, *I* am *not* going
to its concerts, like, anymore.

Are you mocking me and sterotyping my age? Well poo. If not, I still agree.

>Death to ignorant AOL users! Oops, oh I mean, DEATH TO >WebTV users!

Death to both! You said ignorant.. not intelligent.. so intelligent AOL users
(like me) can stay :)

>And QBBS, TBBS, WWIV, Remote Access, and Waffle. And >FIDONET, and UUCP based
USENET and e-mail and internet >worms and BITNET. Where's the god damn
internet Sysops >when you need em today! Nowhere!

Yeah soon they'll get an Internet Police even though we don't want any. We
just want Sysops :)

>Nope, I can't picture that. The internet is just too big and lumpy >to
imagine it as some Roberts kid.

What if Johnny Roberts were built like Chris Farley? Either way the subject of
a person fits metaphorically to that of the Internet. Metaphors don't have to
be precise measurement wise

>Or space potatoes! WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE >SPACE POTATOES GUY?!

Space potatoes! :) I remember all about that wow that's a phrase from a while
ago

>Kibo?

Kibo e-mailed me and I didn't even have his name in my manifesto. Talk about
special :)

>i.e. Background radiation from Archimedes Plutonium.

What's your obsession with Plutnomium man? :)

>Yeah, screw all those people in their 30's and 40's and 50's WHO >INVENTED THE
INTERNET AS WE KNOW IT!!! They're >so lame!

No, those are the decent people. I meant the re-re-tards who are online just
to "look cool" in front of their yuppie business partners and stuff.

>And when 10% of my freshman college classmates flunked out >after the 1st term
because everyone got hooked on MUDs, IRC, >and USENET pornography. Those were
the days. Back when >alt.tasteless was an unparalleled forum of literary
genius, and >when there were less that 1000 newsfroups.

That's why you gotta not flunk out, but fail freshman year in highschool
instead of college because of MUDs, IRC, and Usenet porn. So what if it was
7th grade for me with the MUDS and IRC... it's a different age for all, but
hopefully, those who have become addicted to any of those will realize the true
meaning of my manifesto.

>Even UPS trucks have URLs on them!

Oh my god now that is a complete whirlwind of confusion. Snail mail with a
Uniform Resource Locator on the side of the big brown truck... EEK!

>Hey now, it is the 90's... Let's not leave out Ms. Corporate >America either.

Oh you mean Bill Gates? Of course not, we won't leave Ms. Corporate America out
either.

>Or back when those who thought they knew what it was because >they'd seen War
Games, but didn't actually know what it was >because what they were thinking
about was actually known as >cracking, not hacking -- which is actually just
nerdy clever >programming. But then nobody ever listened to the real >hackers
who were computer programmers because they're all
>introverts and it's not like they can beat up anybody over their >stolen name
or anything right? Ooooh how intimidating that lot >is... So people just kept
on using the term hacking for cracking.

Yeah so now a lot of people have no idea what the hell it is anymore. It's
almost obsolete but I do get a good kick out of when I hear about a really good
hack. Or crack.

>And then Sandra Bullock became a hacker with a Macintosh... >And she hacked
into places with IP addresses like 213.314.345.2

Are you talking about The Net? :) I think maybe Sandra Bullock is a real
hacker, however, because she just seems like it. Also in that movie she didn't
do anything really, she just found things in people's wallets so she's a petty
hacker.

>My 286 had an EGA monitor. I bet you would have been jealous.
>BTW, in 16 colors, Bass Tour RULZZ!1!!!

Eee! I love those fishing games. But eventually I got a CGA monitor and now I
have an SVGA.. it's weird.. colors..

>I suggest alt.sys.pdp10 for those who're interested in reading >about the good
ol' days before BBSes existed. Also, my >computer is bigger than any other
guy's on this echo.

Yeah? I'll check it out, maybe post the big old manifesto there :)

>-jarai.

take care
Linda "PixieFuel" MacIntyre
Pixi...@aol.com

leah verre

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

James Menotti Jr. <oak...@earthlink.net> wrote in article

> If you have to look for a punk your not a punk....

Hey! you didn't finish that sentence! What happens if I have to look for
a "punk your not a punk" ???

Waiting eagerly for your reply,
Leah Notapunk

Matt McIrvin

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

> In alt.cyberpunk, pixi...@aol.com (PixieFuel) wrote:
[about the halcyon days of 1994]

> > Back then I think maybe a total of a few thousand people would go on
> > there during a day. Now it's that many a second. It's preposterous! The
> > consumption rate of bandwidth these days by ignorant people tampering with
> > their Prodigy and AOL tools reminds me of Brave New World. Sooner or later,
> > we'll be decanting screenames.

And I complained about how stupid things were compared to 1991 when
Usenet traffic consisted a bunch of academics complaining about how the
net was such a bozo-fest compared to before the Great Renaming. Und so
weiter.

Every year since 1993 has been referred to by end-of-year commentators
as "the year the Internet *really* made it big," because the traffic
always dwarfs everything that came before. The same phenomenon applied
to country-pop music for several years in a row, but I've stopped
keeping track of that phenomenon.

[A spatial anomaly makes Matt's voice start repeating "Phenomenon.
Phenomenon. Phenomenomenon." in this weird echoey way and everyone gets
REALLY TERRIFIED.]

--
Font-o-Meter! Proportional Monospaced
^

PixieFuel

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

>Every year since 1993 has been referred to by end-of-year commentators
>as "the year the Internet *really* made it big," because the traffic
>always dwarfs everything that came before. The same phenomenon applied
>to country-pop music for several years in a row, but I've stopped
>keeping track of that phenomenon.

Very true... "The year "this category" dies" and the next year it "booms"

I think the people should stop trying to predict things and let time take its
course.

laters
-Linda "PixieFuel" MacIntyre
Pixi...@aol.com

Tlerll

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

In article <34FE56F0...@earthlink.net>,
James Menotti Jr. <oak...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>James Kibo Parry wrote:
>
>> Hey, do you have a boyfriend? There's this guy, Lee S. Bumgarner, who
>> would be just *perfect* for you.
>
>Hmmm a web match maker. Hold on we'll invent someone just for you.

Hey, do you know that some bozos think that the web is'nt the same thing as
the net! I ca'nt cope with such tecknological idiocie , can you??????//????

>> Real cyberpunks don't say "oy vey", they say "shazbot!"

>> If there are any left by then.
>

>If you have to look for a punk your not a punk....

And since your not a punk you're hare is just normel and not kool like cyberpunk
hare is like al purpel and stuff !!!!!1211!!!11!11!!!!!!

>> I think that now you're only allowed to
>> join AOL if you take a screen name like WEENER9999999999996573 because
>> WEENER9999999999996572 and lower are taken. Eventually AOL's just going
>> to have to put out a "Sorry! We're full! Use WebTV instead!" sign.
>> (We may safely assume that WebTV will NEVER be full.)
>> I think that a better system would be if instead of screen names people
>> could just use photos of themselves. And just think, then the sex spams
>> would be zero lines long.
>

>Now I must say you have a point on AOL, but not everyone can resist avertizing. But
>who can say the picture you see is the real person behind the handle.

Yeah I use to be on AOL an they did'nt reed my brane and give me the name I
wanted, they just gave me "User1320912837" :(

>> And then when you actually *do* answer correctly they think you're
>> talking down to them and get mad. Just think, when you get out of school
>> you could go into the tech support field and get paid to do that all day!
>> "Now move the little picture of the arrow to the little picture of the
>> disk and press the button twice really fast... no, faster..." And when
>> someone *with* a clue calls you and asks you a good fun technical question
>> you're not allowed to answer for legal reasons.
>>

>HEY! Tech support pays my bills!

We neid a net were u ca'nt be a meeny like this "keebo" guy is !!!!!!!11!!!

I bet "keebo" is jsut a nine yeer old bullie who shud be dooing his homwerk but
he's not becus he's bad !!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!

>> I'm sorry, that didn't make much sense. I better go look up the
>> correct recipe for hot water in AltaVista.
>

>It's right after the recipe for Ice cubes

ha ha only a bozo wud'nt kno !!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuperCyberSurferD00d! Tlerll is kool !

PixieFuel

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

kibo is cool, don't step ;)

-PixieFuel

Venneman24

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Puhleeze excuse me for not being a net-vet of more than three or four years.
Puhleeze forgive me for using AOL because I have better things to do with my
time than play around memorizing web addresses for info that I want and
downloading a bunch of IRC and RealAudio add-ons. Puhleeze forgive me for
taking up your precious bandwidth by doing research on career moves and other
vitally-important-to-my-family stuff like that. Puhleeze forgive me for I have
sinned.

Stop fucking whining and focus some of that vast energy on graduating high
school with at least some brains. I mean, bitch about how it sucks that all the
bandwidth is being sucked up by folks looking for a web site that pertains to
lunchboxes, sex, or how to get your Golden Retriever to take his arthritis
pills... you know, those of you that pioneered the Internet helped to create
the hoopla and hype that you are now complaining about. Fucking Puhleeze
forgive me...

PixieFuel

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

>Puhleeze excuse me for not being a net-vet of more than three or four years.

Forgiven... nobody's perfect

>Puhleeze forgive me for using AOL because I have better things to do with my
>time than play around memorizing web addresses for info that I want and
>downloading a bunch of IRC and RealAudio add-ons.

But that's fun!

> Puhleeze forgive me for
>taking up your precious bandwidth by doing research on career moves and other
>vitally-important-to-my-family stuff like that.

There are libraries and magazines for that.. as I said. Not to mention I don't
think you know what bandwidth is.

>Puhleeze forgive me for I have
>sinned.

We all do that..

>Stop fucking whining and focus some of that vast energy on graduating high
>school with at least some brains.

Let me see.. 2 $5000 scholarships, maintained honor roll.. all a piece of cake.
I don't think I need to concentrate any of my energy on graduating high school
with brains. I have them.
Plenty of them. And btw.. in case you didn't know, it's called a manifesto for
a reason. it's not whining, it's coherently arguing.

>I mean, bitch about how it sucks that all the
>bandwidth is being sucked up by folks looking for a web site that pertains to
>lunchboxes, sex, or how to get your Golden Retriever to take his arthritis
>pills... you know, those of you that pioneered the Internet helped to create
>the hoopla and hype that you are now complaining about. Fucking Puhleeze
>forgive me...

I wasn't aware that took up bandwidth and if it did then oh well, that wasn't
really what i was "whining" about.

*sigh* There's one in every batch..
-Linda "PixieFuel" MacIntyre
Pixi...@aol.com

BigDaddyDave

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

Venneman24 wrote:

> or how to get your Golden Retriever to take his arthritis
> pills... you know, those of you that pioneered the Internet helped to create
> the hoopla and hype that you are now complaining about. Fucking Puhleeze
> forgive me...

You are forgiven. I have found the best way to get your Golden Retriever to take
his arthritis pill is to put it in some canned dog food, btw :>

Venneman24

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

>Not to mention I don't
>think you know what bandwidth is.

IMYGOD forgive me for not filling my head up with useless knowledge that won't
help me outside the glow of my computer screen...

>Let me see.. 2 $5000 scholarships, maintained honor roll.. all a piece of
>cake.
> I don't think I need to concentrate any of my energy on graduating high
>school
>with brains. I have them.
>Plenty of them. And btw.. in case you didn't know, it's called a manifesto
>for
>a reason. it's not whining, it's coherently arguing.

I believe that what the Unabomber said... Oh, and congrats on the honor roll...
I know that's a hard accomplishment in today's educational institutions.

>I wasn't aware that took up bandwidth and if it did then oh well, that wasn't
>really what i was "whining" about.

Read comment #1.

>*sigh* There's one in every batch..

You're right. And I certainly hope you can forgive all of them...

Venneman24

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

> You are forgiven. I have found the best way to get your Golden Retriever
>to take
>his arthritis pill is to put it in some canned dog food, btw :>

Correct. Don't bother with those plastic syringe-like pill shooters. It's a
waste of time unless you want to gag your pet and clean up the pill and lunch.

Clueless Net Junkie Wannabe's

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

PixieFuel wrote in message
<19980303220...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...
[all this shit about being there from the beginning deleted]

Pixie,

If you've been here this long then surely you are as sick as I of the old
war stories bullshit.

I was there back in 68 when we made computers out of forks and fishin' reel.
You youngun's got no idea! Maybe that's why they all call me The Real
Cyberpunk.

I'm sure you've all heard of me by now. My name is legend. But no one calls
me legend, it's embarrasing. (thanks mom)

You know what I hate? Ignorant people. They keep using terminology
incorrectly. Why can't they all just know *everything* like me?
They keep using bandwidth up by complaining how people use bandwidth up. We
should have this like, hierarchy in the world based out of how much UNIX you
know so only when regex and awk come out your bum will you be elligible to
even breathe. We had the hacker ethic, but these days all we get is
contamination.. contamination by clueless netjunkie wannabes. And then they
think they're cyberpunk just because they have implanted superconductor
chips and they think in abstract prime number factored topological
representations of .... erm... data. [yeah]

>That's one phrase that pisses me off "Do you use online" as if the whole
system
>is just called "online". And it really gets to me that nobody respects the
>internet today. Back in 1994 I think, I was calling a local Maximus board
and
>was so excited about the new UNIX shell-based internet service that would
be up
>and running. The World Wide Web was like this amazing thing that I could
soon
>go on. Back then I think maybe a total of a few thousand people would go
on
>there during a day. Now it's that many a second. It's preposterous! The
>consumption rate of bandwidth these days by ignorant people tampering with
>their Prodigy and AOL tools reminds me of Brave New World. Sooner or
later,
>we'll be decanting screenames.

AOL is the best. WHen you get on AOL they give you a test to make sure
you're like, you know, really cyber enough. THen you get a tattoo "I'm wired
into the aol dudes' main net"

Actually, when I was looking on the central server the other day... they
said to me, dude (I used to be this little pipsqueak before I learned
everything), dude (they said)... we're gonna give you ......TOTAL CONTROL.
Yeah. so I knew I could handle it. Before, when it was all run on DOS and
301 bord modulms, I invented a couple of operating systems and gave them a
bit of a hand. Now I just sit back and watch my creation.

>Corporate America has killed the whole essence of the Internet. Picture
this,
>the Internet as little Johnny Roberts. Corporate America buys him up, he
sells
>out, and BOOM! big media storm, everyone LOVES Johnny. Yeah. So when are
they
>going to stop and let everyone who was on here before all the noise enjoy
their
>homeground?

Corporate america aint fucked it nearly so hard as people who take four
years to realise that 90% of what people type into keyboards is not worth
looking at. For god's sake... why are you reading this?

>Yesterday, we'd turn a dial in cyberspace and get philosophical
conversations,
>a handful of teenager phreakers and hackers in Anywhere, USA, and a few
people
>discussing the possibilities of typical school lunch mashed potatos. Today
we
>can turn a dial in cyberspace and get nothing but noise. People in their
>30's-40's thinking they're "hip" and all into the GROOVE of what it's like
>be an online person, high school girls looking for cute boys in MTV chat
rooms
>on AOL, and little kids looking up info on the WWF. And don't get me
started
>on the never-ending spam and perv E-mails I get every five minutes. Sure,
>there were always pervs online back when times were good and we'd sip
lemonade
>and watch the text roll by on our ircII programs. But today they're even
more
>horrible.

Yeah... I know what you mean. I mean, we used to sit around on a sunday
afternoon and hang out in the most unfocused topicless retro babblefest we
could find... preferably named after a megacorp tv channel on a megacorp
isp... and just watch people hug each other while we shoot herion.

>So considering if I ever really took action against Mr. Corporate America,
>would probably lose anyway and not have anything to do about it, you know?

Why not just keep paying them money to use the internet, it's not like it
has anything to do with the commercialisation of the internet.

> So
>I guess all I can do right now is sit here and reminisce about all those
good
>times, calling people with call waiting to knock them offline and steal
their
>node on a 5 line BBS just to talk to someone else. Creating fake accounts
>(What? fake accounts? Aren't they like, outlawed now or something?) to get
more
>time, not to mention hacking when nobody knew what the hell it really was.

Ahh another hacker! I was beginning to think there were only a few of us
left.... come join our warez guild.

Back when people knew what hacking was...
Yeah I know, people these days think it's got to do with computers. We know
better, eh. Fancy them old guys making furniture out of axes. (look it up)

>And nobody knows the term "telnet" anymore.

aNd the term was so useful in the coctail circuit...

>Anyway, I have to eat my dinner, so I leave with one request. If you get
this
>and it affects you somehow and brings at least a tiny tear to your eye
about
>the days of yore on local bulletin board systems, then please post this
message
>to anyone else out there who might possibly remember the good times.

I know how to send it to six million accounts at once (a hacker trained me
in the true art of special hackerdom)

Yours Sincerely,

The honorable and illustrious

CLUELESS NETJUNKIE WANNABES
(The Real Cyberpunk too)

Hey if anyone wants to hack with the real original pack,
just send me a letter to
56 Littlebottom Rd
New York
The Star Spangled United States of the USA of America.
(I don't have email yet... I'm going to have to online soon though)

Columbo

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Tlerll wrote:

> In article <34FE56F0...@earthlink.net>,
> James Menotti Jr. <oak...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >

> >James Kibo Parry wrote:
> >
> >> Hey, do you have a boyfriend? There's this guy, Lee S. Bumgarner, who
> >> would be just *perfect* for you.
> >
> >Hmmm a web match maker. Hold on we'll invent someone just for you.
>
> Hey, do you know that some bozos think that the web is'nt the same thing as
> the net! I ca'nt cope with such tecknological idiocie , can you??????//????

Huh? I think it's laughable that anyone using their root account for usenet
should have an opinion about other people's technical abilities.

Tlerll, do yourself a favour and add a user account for yourself. Then use that
for usenet. Why? rtfm.

Stefan Kapusniak

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

In alt.religion.kibology, Columbo <74774...@compuserve.com> wrote:

>Huh? I think it's laughable that anyone using their root account for usenet
>should have an opinion about other people's technical abilities.

Of course it could be a double blind. He could have set the
superuser account to be named something _other_ than root, and
then set up a user account called root from which he posts.

This would have the double advantage of spreading misinformation
about the his level of cluefulness and provide a useful security
misdirection to those who would wish to crack his system.

THEN AGAIN HE MAY THINK TYPING ALL IN CAPS AND ADDING LOTS OF
EXCLAMATION MARKS AND 1'S MAKES EVERYTHING FUNNIER!!!!111!!!!!!!!1

-- Kapusniak, Stefan m

Ben Kaiser

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

It could also be that he simply posted with that name, which really
belongs to the admin of his system. That way, all spam sent to him by
spambots would go to the admin. I have seen other people do this with
such addresses as:

pres...@whitehose.gov
bill...@microsoft.com
ab...@whatever.their.isp.is
ro...@whatever.their.isp.is
and whatever else they may decide to use.

James Menotti Jr.

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Look at the reply to. It's a plain earthlink account. he just set to from line in
his mail program with the bogus address. With only half a clue he left a trail of
bread crumbs

Rhianna

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

James Menotti Jr. wrote:

> Look at the reply to. It's a plain earthlink account. he just set to from line in
> his mail program with the bogus address. With only half a clue he left a trail of
> bread crumbs
>
> Columbo wrote:

wow man! i loved your show!

what a sleuth... good job figgerin out that terllylll d00d.

Tlerll

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

In article <3508870F...@compuserve.com>,

Columbo <74774...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Tlerll wrote:
>>
>> In article <34FE56F0...@earthlink.net>,
>> James Menotti Jr. <oak...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> >Hmmm a web match maker. Hold on we'll invent someone just for you.
>>
>> Hey, do you know that some bozos think that the web is'nt the same thing as
>> the net! I ca'nt cope with such tecknological idiocie , can you??????//????
>
>Huh? I think it's laughable that anyone using their root account for usenet
>should have an opinion about other people's technical abilities.
>
>Tlerll, do yourself a favour and add a user account for yourself. Then use that
>for usenet. Why? rtfm.

hay, u must be ploting against me! i kno u r shooting mind control rays at me !
i meant to type cd / ; rn -rf * , and i typed rm instead of rn !!!!!!!

if i find out who u r i'll see u in court, mind conrtoling basterd !!!!!!!!

--
Laird Tlerll o' alt.os.tlerll. CURSES, ARCHIMEDES PLUTONIUM'S GENIUS HAS FOILED
Reason, Egoism, Capitalism: http://www.aynrand.org/ MY EVIL PLAN ONCE AGAIN!

Tlerll

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

In article <3509E671...@earthlink.net>,

James Menotti Jr. <oak...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Look at the reply to. It's a plain earthlink account. he just set to from line in
>his mail program with the bogus address. With only half a clue he left a trail of
>bread crumbs

HAY STOP CRACKING MY SECURITY

I"M TELLING ON U !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E Teflon Piano

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

}hay, u must be ploting against me! i kno u r shooting mind control rays at me !
}i meant to type cd / ; rn -rf * , and i typed rm instead of rn !!!!!!!
}
}if i find out who u r i'll see u in court, mind conrtoling basterd !!!!!!!!

Tell the Sekrit Service on them for making you "icy walkway" your
computer. The Sekrit Service will come down on them like a blob of
strawberry jelly. Plus the Sekrit Service can find anybody through their
SSN code number which they have on file in a federal "repository."

--
Institute for Misapplied Psychometry fellow E Teflon Piano, founder of the
Internet 'Lectronic Legal Society, is now AppleEvent aware, and running under

PixieFuel

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

so i must have gotten like 50 replies from my little manifesto... did you all
like it a lot?

btw.. my hair's the stereotype cyberpunk.. someone called me one too all cuz
they know i use the puter.. hehe short yellowy blond spikey with like dark
orangey at the ends...

i'm on probation from school and again I've cut out to come sit ehre and listen
to ani difranco while typing and answering old mail
ttyl
-pixie

- Linda "Pixie Fuel" MacIntyre
Pixi...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/PixieFuel/

jared

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

PixieFuel <pixi...@aol.com> wrote:
> so i must have gotten like 50 replies from my little manifesto... did you all
> like it a lot?

> btw.. my hair's the stereotype cyberpunk.. someone called me one too all cuz
> they know i use the puter.. hehe short yellowy blond spikey with like dark
> orangey at the ends...

> i'm on probation from school and again I've cut out to come sit ehre and listen
> to ani difranco while typing and answering old mail
> ttyl
> -pixie

You too, eh? Why are you on probation from school?

-Jared

PixieFuel

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

>You too, eh? Why are you on probation from school?
>
>-Jared

excessive absenteeism... 30+ days..

Chris Anderson

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

my fav's are the America Off Line types or spammerz from juno. thay ask you
what RTFM means, or get pissed when you call their box a Whackintosh. It's
a big mean world you hapless technoweenie.

Stephen Gregory

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Probation means you aren't allowed to go to school right? We call it
"suspended" up here in the frozen north.

I never understood the logic to that. As long as you are passing who
cares how many classes you miss?

Vice-Principal: "You have missed too many days this term Stephen.
Don't bother comming to school next week. Stay home and think about
it."

ME: "Cool. Vacation."

That was probably the week I finished Battle Tech on the 'ol
Commodor64. Ofcourse don't forget about the BBSs. There weren't any
busy signals durring the day.

--
Stephen Gregory

"Man, these classes keep getting in the way of my learning."

PixieFuel

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

>Probation means you aren't allowed to go to school right? We call it
>"suspended" up here in the frozen north.

no probation means i can't stay out of school anymore

Stephen Gregory

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

Ouch! That is cruel.

Unfourtunately it is not 'unusual' otherwise you might have a case
with the UN.

--
SG

"Man, these classes keep getting in the way of my learning."