_The Long Run_

T. Lesher

Jul 28, 1992, 7:34:22 PM7/28/92
First of all, thanx to all who replied on my question re. _The Adolescence of P1_. I thought maybe I was the only person who ever picked up that book!

Now another question. I have read Gibson, but not Sterling. I also read
Daniel Keys Moran's _The Long Run_. It's set in a futuristic U.S.A. where
US civil war has been quelled by an action of the United Nations. The Net
figures heavily in this, as do interplanetary stations, off-world colonies,
and cyberization (especially of officers in the UN Peacekeeper force.

Any opinions on this book? My impression is that it's a bit less gritty than
Gibson's stuff, but good nonetheless.

Also, I've been told that the preceding book, _Emerald Eyes_, is out of
print and unlocatable. Anyone wanna refute this and/or give me some leads?
--
Tim Lesher <les...@bucknell.edu>
"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then remember, that half of 'em are stupider than that!" -- George Carlin

Trent

Jul 28, 1992, 11:01:14 PM7/28/92
In article <16...@hydra.bucknell.edu> les...@bucknell.edu (T. Lesher) writes:
>Now another question. I have read Gibson, but not Sterling. I also read
>Daniel Keys Moran's _The Long Run_. It's set in a futuristic U.S.A. where
>US civil war has been quelled by an action of the United Nations. The Net
>figures heavily in this, as do interplanetary stations, off-world colonies,
>and cyberization (especially of officers in the UN Peacekeeper force.
>
>Any opinions on this book? My impression is that it's a bit less gritty than
>Gibson's stuff, but good nonetheless.
>
>Also, I've been told that the preceding book, _Emerald Eyes_, is out of
>print and unlocatable. Anyone wanna refute this and/or give me some leads?
>--
Wonderful book. IMHO, it isn't true Cyberpunk, but great Sci-Fi nonetheless.
It has In-skins, (built-in computer links), AIs, and invulnerable cops,
but I think the mix of the genetically perfect thief who is also able
to pull off such things as walking through walls with this environment
removes it from the CP area.

And Emerald Eyes is out of print, but some places can apparantly still
special order it...I was told at a bookstore that it was stockpiled
somewhere. I found it at my local library.

There is also supposed to be a third in the series, but I've never seen it.

(Armageddon Blues is also a good book.)

-PaulK-

* This is my opinion and not that of any of my employers, *
* Not that Lifeguards ever get in trouble for publishing...*

jason steiner

Jul 29, 1992, 4:58:51 PM7/29/92
les...@bucknell.edu (T. Lesher) writes:

> Now another question. I have read Gibson, but not Sterling. I also read
> Daniel Keys Moran's _The Long Run_. It's set in a futuristic U.S.A. where
> US civil war has been quelled by an action of the United Nations. The Net
> figures heavily in this, as do interplanetary stations, off-world colonies,
> and cyberization (especially of officers in the UN Peacekeeper force.
>
> Any opinions on this book? My impression is that it's a bit less gritty than
> Gibson's stuff, but good nonetheless.
>
> Also, I've been told that the preceding book, _Emerald Eyes_, is out of
> print and unlocatable. Anyone wanna refute this and/or give me some leads?

wish i could. i found both at a local library & have been searching
bookstores ever since. actually, The Long Run has a lot more in common
with a ripping good Heinlein tale than cyberpunk. supposedly those 2
books are just the start of a -long- series D.K.Moran has plotted out.
hope he actually gets around to writing the rest. he's pretty talented.

jason

--
`, "Get off the cross. We need the wood." ste...@jupiter.cse.utoledo.edu `,

Simon Tong

Jul 29, 1992, 8:39:46 PM7/29/92
In article <1992Jul29....@news.stolaf.edu> knap...@mari.acc.stolaf.edu (Trent) writes:
>but I think the mix of the genetically perfect thief who is also able
>to pull off such things as walking through walls with this environment
>removes it from the CP area.

Trent didn't walk through a wall, it was a hologram.