*Poke*

Some Weirdo

Sep 12, 2005, 1:48:18 AM9/12/05
Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?

--
A random weirdo

"When it comes to flea markets, tacky is a compliment. If you are
afraid of tacky, go to the mall. But if you're bored with malls and the
tragically homogenous retail scene in general, go to a flea market. The
tackier the better."--Dave Bird

Cassandra J. Nichols

Sep 13, 2005, 12:00:46 AM9/13/05
Some Weirdo wrote:

> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?

No.

--
- Cassandra J. Nichols

DarkSheer

Sep 13, 2005, 12:16:12 AM9/13/05
Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:
> Some Weirdo wrote:
>
>> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?
>
> No.

Yes?? no.

Ryan

Katyanna

Sep 13, 2005, 1:06:30 AM9/13/05
On 11 Sep 2005 22:48:18 -0700, "Some Weirdo"
<awei...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?

OMG! YOU'RE ALIVE. O_o

--
Kat

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out
of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
-Frank Lloyd Wright

Eyeglazer

Sep 13, 2005, 1:12:14 AM9/13/05
Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:
> Some Weirdo wrote:
>
>> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?
>
> No.

Damnit, you beat me to it. :(

Hi, Weirdo. I thought you were one of the many who'd dropped off the
face of the earth. Nice to see an oldbie arise from the endless grey sea
of RL.

--

Eyeglazer, Lord of Boredom.
Abandon hope, and ye abolish fear.

thi...@fake.addy

Sep 13, 2005, 1:59:52 AM9/13/05
I'm here! If only because Eyglazer told me other people were here. But that
still counts as here, darnit!

My shock at the fact that people are here will continue for months to come.

thi...@fake.addy

Sep 13, 2005, 2:04:45 AM9/13/05
That was supposed to have said it was from Wyvern...this new newsreader is
weird. I shoot it.

-Wyvern

Darren Grey

Sep 13, 2005, 6:42:46 AM9/13/05
"Some Weirdo" wrote in message...

> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?

Yes, yes, and hello. How's you?

Wow, a few oldies suddenly popping up...

--
Darren Grey, aka Tekhne

Katyanna

Sep 13, 2005, 2:18:10 PM9/13/05
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:42:46 +0100, "Darren Grey"
<darrenjoh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Some Weirdo" wrote in message...
>> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?
>
>Yes, yes, and hello. How's you?
>
>Wow, a few oldies suddenly popping up...

Yes, well. We keep to ourselves, mostly. Just pop in when
something other than spam shows up.

Some Weirdo

Sep 13, 2005, 3:17:32 PM9/13/05
Katyanna said:
>OMG! YOU'RE ALIVE. O_o

and

Eyeglazer said:
>Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:
>> Some Weirdo wrote:

>>> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?

>> No.

>Damnit, you beat me to it. :(

>Hi, Weirdo. I thought you were one of the many who'd dropped off the
>face of the earth. Nice to see an oldbie arise from the endless grey sea
>of RL.

Yep. My college stuff got a lot more hectic, I got bored with all the
arguing and trolling on AGFF, and some other stuff was going on in RL,
so I decided I'd leave for a bit. I'd imagine some of that's the same
reason some people leave, for RL reasons; I'd never noticed just how
time consuming digging through AGFF was, and I had a relatively LIGHT
schedule, compared to what a lot of other people were doing. I probably
shouldn't be on here in the first place (since there's really something
I ought to be working on) but I noticed some recent ("recent" in
geologic terms, anyway) posts and thought I'd poke the group to see if
anything happened.

Hello again, everyone. :)

Some Weirdo

Sep 13, 2005, 3:24:47 PM9/13/05

Same here, except I kind of found it out by acciedent. I was half
expecting to have to wait a while for an answer since the last post (as
opposed to spam) was sometime in 2004. How many of you guys are posting
via google, by the way? I'm just wondering, because I know they've got
a thing where they'll send you an email when there's new posts. It's
been so long that I can't remember whether news readers will do that,
too.

--
A. Weirdo

Some Weirdo

Sep 13, 2005, 3:39:13 PM9/13/05
>"Some Weirdo" wrote in message...
>> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?

>Yes, yes, and hello. How's you?

I'm okay. I've been busy working on my writing while I've been waiting
for my real job to start up again. (Yearbook publishing, unfortunately,
is seasonal work) How've you been, btw?

>Wow, a few oldies suddenly popping up...

Looks like it. O_o

--
A. Weirdo

Eyeglazer

Sep 13, 2005, 6:57:39 PM9/13/05
A. Weirdo wrote:

>>Hi, Weirdo. I thought you were one of the many who'd dropped off the
>>face of the earth. Nice to see an oldbie arise from the endless grey sea
>>of RL.
>
> Yep. My college stuff got a lot more hectic, I got bored with all the
> arguing and trolling on AGFF, and some other stuff was going on in RL,
> so I decided I'd leave for a bit. I'd imagine some of that's the same
> reason some people leave, for RL reasons;

Either that, or people who left when the world moved on. But yeah.

> I'd never noticed just how
> time consuming digging through AGFF was, and I had a relatively LIGHT
> schedule, compared to what a lot of other people were doing. I probably
> shouldn't be on here in the first place (since there's really something
> I ought to be working on)

All the better reason not to work on it. ;-P

> but I noticed some recent ("recent" in
> geologic terms, anyway) posts and thought I'd poke the group to see if
> anything happened.

Several of us keep an eye on it just because we don't feel like removing
it from our sub lists, I'd guess. About once a year someone will say
something and there'll be a flash crowd. Like now. This is all your
fault. ;-)

Most of the old regs communicate through Aim these days, actually.

> Hello again, everyone. :)

Welcome to the Noise...again.

John Zeitler

Sep 13, 2005, 7:02:36 PM9/13/05
Some Weirdo wrote:
> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?

I would imagine so.

--
CX

Darren Grey

Sep 13, 2005, 7:19:10 PM9/13/05
"Some Weirdo" wrote in message...
> >"Some Weirdo" wrote in message...
>>> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?
>
>>Yes, yes, and hello. How's you?
>
> I'm okay. I've been busy working on my writing while I've been waiting
> for my real job to start up again. (Yearbook publishing, unfortunately,
> is seasonal work) How've you been, btw?

Ah that's cool - lots of old AGFFers seem to have gotten into writing...
I've been up and down and all around, but mostly okay I guess. Nothing of
much interest...

>>Wow, a few oldies suddenly popping up...
>
> Looks like it. O_o

Kinda freaky actually. It's like dropping a pebble into a pond and
expecting a small ripple, then suddenly a big splash comes out... I guess
I'm not the only who's kept subscribed to the group for a while "just in
case"...

--
Darren Grey

Katyanna

Sep 14, 2005, 1:15:38 AM9/14/05

I keep the group subscribed, and usually hit the 'get new
headers' button about once a day just for kicks. I'm probably
secondary to blame for the sudden flood since I mentioned to
Eyeglazer that Weirdo had posted when I noticed the post. ^^;;;

Darren Grey

Sep 14, 2005, 1:06:04 PM9/14/05
"Katyanna" wrote...

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:19:10 +0100, "Darren Grey"
> <darrenjoh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Looks like it. O_o
>>
>>Kinda freaky actually. It's like dropping a pebble into a pond and
>>expecting a small ripple, then suddenly a big splash comes out... I guess
>>I'm not the only who's kept subscribed to the group for a while "just in
>>case"...
>
> I keep the group subscribed, and usually hit the 'get new
> headers' button about once a day just for kicks. I'm probably
> secondary to blame for the sudden flood since I mentioned to
> Eyeglazer that Weirdo had posted when I noticed the post. ^^;;;

Aw, you've shattered the illusion now. I figured everyone was sitting
gripped to the edge of their seats for months waiting for someone to make a
post, and as soon as one person does everyone swarms in to reply. But no,
you have to go and ruin that idea :-(

--
Grey

Katyanna

Sep 14, 2005, 1:43:13 PM9/14/05
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:06:04 +0100, "Darren Grey"
<darrenjoh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Terribly sorry. ;)

Ismail Saeed

Sep 14, 2005, 7:29:02 PM9/14/05
"Some Weirdo" <awei...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You perhaps do not remember me, but Eye just told me about this. I didn't
really come here during my previous AGFF regdom... but anyway, hello all.

Slipgate

Ismail Saeed

Sep 14, 2005, 7:33:58 PM9/14/05
"John Zeitler" <john.z...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

I would imagine do, re, mi, fa, and ti, in exchange.

Slipgate

Some Weirdo

Sep 15, 2005, 6:18:40 PM9/15/05
Eyeglazer wrote:
>Several of us keep an eye on it just because we don't feel like removing
>it from our sub lists, I'd guess. About once a year someone will say
>something and there'll be a flash crowd. Like now. This is all your
>fault. ;-)

Apparently poking this newsgroup is like poking a blowfish, except I
don't think this newsgroup can be made into tasty poisonous sashimi.

>Most of the old regs communicate through Aim these days, actually.

I have a bunch of names on my buddy list, but I'm sure most of them
are old. I guess I need to start using AIM again.

Some Weirdo

Sep 15, 2005, 6:24:29 PM9/15/05
Slipgate wrote:

>"John Zeitler" <john.zeit...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

>> Some Weirdo wrote:
>>> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?

>> I would imagine so.

> >--
> >CX

>I would imagine do, re, mi, fa, and ti, in exchange.

break out at any moment.

Oh, and hello CX and Slipgate!

--
A. Weirdo

Katyanna

Sep 16, 2005, 1:32:49 AM9/16/05
On 15 Sep 2005 15:18:40 -0700, "Some Weirdo"
<awei...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Eyeglazer wrote:
>>Several of us keep an eye on it just because we don't feel like removing
>>it from our sub lists, I'd guess. About once a year someone will say
>>something and there'll be a flash crowd. Like now. This is all your
>>fault. ;-)
>
>Apparently poking this newsgroup is like poking a blowfish, except I
>don't think this newsgroup can be made into tasty poisonous sashimi.

Well, no. I don't think we were planning on killing you....

>>Most of the old regs communicate through Aim these days, actually.
>
>I have a bunch of names on my buddy list, but I'm sure most of them
>are old. I guess I need to start using AIM again.

I can pretty well guarantee mine's outdated. Hell, I never used
the same aim name more than a few months even when I was on
AGFF, why would I do so anywhere else? ;)

>>> Hello again, everyone. :)
>
>>Welcome to the Noise...again.

NOISE

Eyeglazer

Sep 16, 2005, 1:43:26 AM9/16/05
Some Weirdo wrote:
> Eyeglazer wrote:
>>Several of us keep an eye on it just because we don't feel like removing
>>it from our sub lists, I'd guess. About once a year someone will say
>>something and there'll be a flash crowd. Like now. This is all your
>>fault. ;-)
>
> Apparently poking this newsgroup is like poking a blowfish, except I
> don't think this newsgroup can be made into tasty poisonous sashimi.

The twin powers of Nostalgia and Curiosity. Fear ye the forces ye have
tapped! ....for a few days, anyway. Then you'll go about your business.
Move along.

>>Most of the old regs communicate through Aim these days, actually.
>
> I have a bunch of names on my buddy list, but I'm sure most of them
> are old. I guess I need to start using AIM again.

I'm still on as Eyeglazer daily. Feel free to drop me a line if you want.

--

Eyeglazer, Lord of Boredom.

Not all moths are drawn by the brightness of the light. Some are there
for the flame.

Cassandra J. Nichols

Sep 16, 2005, 2:23:21 AM9/16/05
Some Weirdo wrote:

> I have a bunch of names on my buddy list, but I'm sure most of them
> are old. I guess I need to start using AIM again.

I think my AIM list has over 200 people in the "AGFF" group.

Cassandra J. Nichols

Sep 16, 2005, 2:23:41 AM9/16/05
Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:

> Some Weirdo wrote:
>
>> I have a bunch of names on my buddy list, but I'm sure most of them
>> are old. I guess I need to start using AIM again.
>
> I think my AIM list has over 200 people in the "AGFF" group.

Make that over 200 user names. A lot were the same people.

Ismail Saeed

Sep 16, 2005, 6:24:35 AM9/16/05
"Katyanna" <k...@isnothere.com> wrote in message

> On 15 Sep 2005 15:18:40 -0700, "Some Weirdo"
> <awei...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Eyeglazer wrote:
>>>Several of us keep an eye on it just because we don't feel like removing
>>>it from our sub lists, I'd guess. About once a year someone will say
>>>something and there'll be a flash crowd. Like now. This is all your
>>>fault. ;-)
>>
>>Apparently poking this newsgroup is like poking a blowfish, except I
>>don't think this newsgroup can be made into tasty poisonous sashimi.
>
> Well, no. I don't think we were planning on killing you....
>

>>>Most of the old regs communicate through Aim these days, actually.
>>
>>I have a bunch of names on my buddy list, but I'm sure most of them
>>are old. I guess I need to start using AIM again.
>
> I can pretty well guarantee mine's outdated. Hell, I never used
> the same aim name more than a few months even when I was on
> AGFF, why would I do so anywhere else? ;)

>>>Welcome to the Noise...again.
>
> NOISE

Well anyway, Slipgate0 for me. I screen folks, so please identify yourself
;).

Darren Grey

Sep 16, 2005, 5:56:28 PM9/16/05
"Katyanna" wrote...

> On 15 Sep 2005 15:18:40 -0700, "Some Weirdo"
> <awei...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Eyeglazer wrote:
>>>Several of us keep an eye on it just because we don't feel like removing
>>>it from our sub lists, I'd guess. About once a year someone will say
>>>something and there'll be a flash crowd. Like now. This is all your
>>>fault. ;-)
>>
>>Apparently poking this newsgroup is like poking a blowfish, except I
>>don't think this newsgroup can be made into tasty poisonous sashimi.
>
> Well, no. I don't think we were planning on killing you....

Oh, really?

*hides knife*

*walks away whistling innocently*

>>>Most of the old regs communicate through Aim these days, actually.
>>
>>I have a bunch of names on my buddy list, but I'm sure most of them
>>are old. I guess I need to start using AIM again.
>
> I can pretty well guarantee mine's outdated. Hell, I never used
> the same aim name more than a few months even when I was on
> AGFF, why would I do so anywhere else? ;)

There's too many chat clients, I can never stick with one - thankfully
Trillian helps with that. Knowing what Google are like their new GTalk is
bound to take over the world, in spite of having a name that sounds like a
sex line...

--
Darren Grey

AIM: DarrenJohnGrey
ICQ: 41880116
Yahoo IM: darrenjohngrey
MSN:darrenj...@hotmail.com
GTalk:darrenj...@gmail.com

RelMark at dot

Sep 16, 2005, 10:42:23 PM9/16/05
"Cassandra J. Nichols" <cass...@softhome.net> wrote:
> Some Weirdo wrote:
>
>> I have a bunch of names on my buddy list, but I'm sure most of them
>> are old. I guess I need to start using AIM again.
>
> I think my AIM list has over 200 people in the "AGFF" group.

Anyone still use the 'AGFF' ID on AIM?

RelMark

Eyeglazer

Sep 16, 2005, 11:27:49 PM9/16/05

I haven't seen it on in ages, so I doubt it.

Some Weirdo

Sep 17, 2005, 12:18:57 AM9/17/05
Cassandra wrote:

>> I think my AIM list has over 200 people in the "AGFF" group.

>Make that over 200 user names. A lot were the same people.
>
>-

> - Cassandra J. Nichols

Yeah. I have the same problem. My problem is that I'm not sure which
are the "new" names and which are the old ones.

My aim name is the same as it was: aweirdo42. I had another one, but it
got suspended for some reason or another.

--
A. Weirdo

Cassandra J. Nichols

Sep 17, 2005, 2:02:00 AM9/17/05
RelMark wrote:

> Anyone still use the 'AGFF' ID on AIM?

It got removed and the user name is now reserved. I still remember the
password, too....

Cassandra J. Nichols

Sep 17, 2005, 12:43:19 PM9/17/05
Ismail Saeed wrote:

> Well anyway, Slipgate0 for me. I screen folks, so please identify yourself
> ;).

cassiejn, here. Say "hi", everyone!

Katyanna

Sep 17, 2005, 4:11:02 PM9/17/05
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:02:00 GMT, "Cassandra J. Nichols"
<cass...@softhome.net> wrote:

>RelMark wrote:
>
>> Anyone still use the 'AGFF' ID on AIM?
>
>It got removed and the user name is now reserved. I still remember the
>password, too....

You're doing better than me. I don't remember any of the open
stuff. I remember people messaging me with it, though. And
usually telling them to bugger off since it was usually someone
trolling with it.

Ismail Saeed

Sep 20, 2005, 7:12:15 PM9/20/05
Wouldn't you know it, I'm getting "spam" messages on IM now from cutieforyou
type people.

UseNet messages expire, right? Does google groups get crawled any?

Ismail

"Cassandra J. Nichols" <cass...@softhome.net> wrote in message

Eyeglazer

Sep 20, 2005, 7:42:07 PM9/20/05
Ismail Saeed wrote:
> Wouldn't you know it, I'm getting "spam" messages on IM now from cutieforyou
> type people.
>
> UseNet messages expire, right? Does google groups get crawled any?

Even if it did, I don't think a spider could pick out a screen name from
a normal sentence like that. There's no easy marker like there is for
email addresses. (@ symbol)

Ismail Saeed

Sep 20, 2005, 8:51:31 PM9/20/05
Well, I only ask because I've been getting such messages a LOT more since I
posted this.

Ironically, most of them get met with my away message about how I'm grading
stuff. Not so hot, the fact is that the away message constitutes a reply
that lets them know its a valid AIM name.

Perhaps I should experiment more with invisibility...

"Eyeglazer" <no...@none.none> wrote in message

Eyeglazer

Sep 21, 2005, 7:08:53 PM9/21/05
Ismail Saeed wrote:
> Well, I only ask because I've been getting such messages a LOT more since I
> posted this.
>
> Ironically, most of them get met with my away message about how I'm grading
> stuff. Not so hot, the fact is that the away message constitutes a reply
> that lets them know its a valid AIM name.
>
> Perhaps I should experiment more with invisibility...

No need, just block them as they come in. You can block spam names
faster than they can make new ones, since IIRC AOL has one of those
picture-text things to prevent automated signups.

You're accidentally top-posting, btw.

Ismail Saeed

Sep 21, 2005, 9:27:30 PM9/21/05
"Eyeglazer" <no...@none.none> wrote in message

One time, in a short subthread :).

They obviously manage to create the names, and if they know it's live and
that gets back to them... anyway.

Jonny

Oct 13, 2005, 1:49:08 PM10/13/05
Eyeglazer wrote:
> Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:
>> Some Weirdo wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone here other than spammers? Yes? No?
>>
>> No.
>
> Damnit, you beat me to it. :(
>
> Hi, Weirdo. I thought you were one of the many who'd dropped off the
> face of the earth. Nice to see an oldbie arise from the endless grey sea
> of RL.

Avast mematies! This be cap'n Jonny! Scourge of the virtual seas! Yarrrr.

I be setting up Thunderbird and it be a grand tool for keepin up with
usenet. Yarrrr.

--
- Jonny

aka DJ Bruja - GASH Collective
www.JonnyWorld.co.uk

AGFF Veteran
Mini-Greg Level 52
Wielder of the Materia Saber
Owner of Jonny's Ice Cream Store
Defender of Cassandra
Conquerer of VTAN
Eater of Bagels

"Someone once told him that bagels and cream cheese
were the food of the gods."
- Chapter 10 of Space: Above and Beyond

[SNIP] All my points, medals and stuff are in the freezer!

AIM: LtHorrock2k3

Ismail Saeed

Oct 13, 2005, 11:18:41 PM10/13/05
"Jonny" <Jo...@JonnyWorld.co.uk> wrote in message

> Eyeglazer wrote:
>> Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> Damnit, you beat me to it. :(
>>
>> Hi, Weirdo. I thought you were one of the many who'd dropped off the face
>> of the earth. Nice to see an oldbie arise from the endless grey sea of
>> RL.
>>

> Avast mematies! This be cap'n Jonny! Scourge of the virtual seas! Yarrrr.
>
> I be setting up Thunderbird and it be a grand tool for keepin up with
> usenet. Yarrrr.
>
> --
> - Jonny

Yarr, I be considering the Firefox and the Thunderbird sometimes, I do.

My only quibble be silly, you see... but it be borne of long experience. I
don't want no redundant programs that do the same thing on me hard-drive...
that be why I finally once, grudgingly, left me Netscape 4.7 for IE/etc.
when I bought a new computer that already had them installed on it. (Y'see,
Slipbeard's old computer didn'a respond so kindly to the IE 4 install....
reformat his hard drive, he did have to... unexpectedly.... so he hadn't
been'a willin' to touch it again until it was already stably installed on a
box for him, yar. Likewise, I don't want to now have redundancies yet
again.

Yaar.

Jonny my boy, do be sending me a screenshot through our conventional means
of Thunderbird. I be considering, and I do wants to see what it looks like.

Ismail

the letters-larning pirate

Katyanna

Oct 14, 2005, 3:37:00 AM10/14/05
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:49:08 +0200, Jonny
<Jo...@JonnyWorld.co.uk> wrote:

>Eyeglazer wrote:
>> Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> Damnit, you beat me to it. :(
>>
>> Hi, Weirdo. I thought you were one of the many who'd dropped off the
>> face of the earth. Nice to see an oldbie arise from the endless grey sea
>> of RL.
>>

>Avast mematies! This be cap'n Jonny! Scourge of the virtual seas! Yarrrr.
>
>I be setting up Thunderbird and it be a grand tool for keepin up with
>usenet. Yarrrr.

Yo.

(Kat is a tired Kat, so not very talkative at this time)

Jonny

Oct 15, 2005, 3:20:03 PM10/15/05

Yarrr. I be tired from swabbing the deck so I be resting now in me bunk.
I be back tomorrow tho to reply to thee other landlubbers mails.

--
- Jonnyarrrrrr

Katyanna

Oct 15, 2005, 8:55:58 PM10/15/05

I had the week from hell. I work Monday-Friday at present and
worked 11-12 hour days 4 out of 5 of those days this week. I had
one day where I work 8 1/2, which is pretty normal.

I'll probably go take a nap soon. Or something like that.

Some Weirdo

Oct 16, 2005, 2:07:34 PM10/16/05
Arr, Long John Slipbeard told me there wuz pirates here!

Cap'n Jonny said:
>> Avast mematies! This be cap'n Jonny! Scourge of the virtual seas! Yarrrr.

>> I be setting up Thunderbird and it be a grand tool for keepin up with
>> usenet. Yarrrr.

Arr, Jonny, ya scurvy pirate, how've ya been? Other than havin' to swab
the deck, ya know.

Long John Slipbeard said:
>My only quibble be silly, you see... but it be borne of long experience. I
>don't want no redundant programs that do the same thing on me >hard-drive...
>that be why I finally once, grudgingly, left me Netscape 4.7 for IE/etc.
>when I bought a new computer that already had them installed on it. (Y'see,
>Slipbeard's old computer didn'a respond so kindly to the IE 4 install....
>reformat his hard drive, he did have to... unexpectedly.... so he hadn't
>been'a willin' to touch it again until it was already stably installed on a
>box for him, yar. Likewise, I don't want to now have redundancies yet
>again.

Arr, I got redundancies. I got meself Firefox because I wes tired of
Internet Explorer being full of leaks, and I dinnt want me computer to
get keelhauled. I use Firefox mostly, 'cause I kin turn off that scurvy
javascript for sites I'm not keen on. And, y'see I also got
fifty-million windows open, and the tabs keep the taskbar from gettin'
clogged. However, Firefox won't open a few landlubber's sites, so I
keep IE around ta open them. Arr.

Arr, I sound like a redneck pirate instead of a plain pirate.

--
A.Weirdo

Ismail Saeed

Oct 16, 2005, 2:45:15 PM10/16/05
"Some Weirdo" <awei...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Maybe I be considerin' it. I shouldst probably free up some of me hard
drive space first, though.

Arr.

Ismail

Ismail Saeed

Oct 16, 2005, 4:24:58 PM10/16/05
"Ismail Saeed" <slip...@cox.net> wrote in message

Here's a thought.

I once considered migrating from "Outlook Express" to "real Outlook" after
getting Office 2003 (legally, thank you). I was able to import my mail
archives, but none of their status, like being replied to or flagged or
anything, was kept. That was just NOT going to work for the several years
of mail I have accumulated. Does this status successfully import into
Thunderbird? Would it be willing to successfully export to something else
later?

This is key for me. There's no other reason I still stick with Outlook
Express other than this.

Ismail

Cassandra J. Nichols

Oct 16, 2005, 5:44:05 PM10/16/05
Ismail Saeed wrote:

> I once considered migrating from "Outlook Express" to "real Outlook" after
> getting Office 2003 (legally, thank you). I was able to import my mail
> archives, but none of their status, like being replied to or flagged or
> anything, was kept. That was just NOT going to work for the several years
> of mail I have accumulated. Does this status successfully import into
> Thunderbird? Would it be willing to successfully export to something else
> later?
>
> This is key for me. There's no other reason I still stick with Outlook
> Express other than this.

Last I knew (late 90s) Outlook didn't support newsgroup access. Does it now?

Ismail Saeed

Oct 16, 2005, 6:04:32 PM10/16/05
"Cassandra J. Nichols" <cass...@softhome.net> wrote in message

Arr, look at me headers.

I be writing this in Outlook Express. Tho yes, I can certafy that regular
Outlook has the newsgroups too, yarr. It should be noted, methinks, that IE
was not even a usable browser once upon a time... now it just be a leaky
ship of one.

I done checked out Firefox an' Thunderbird. I'm sarry to say, but while
Firefox be acceptable, Thunderbird only import me mail as all unread and not
a one marked or flagged. This is quite unacceptable due to the years of
archives I have that depend on being marked and flagged, and my ginormous
inbox and sent items folders... I uninstalled Thunderbird to avoid that
redundancy, I did. Firefox be nice though, though it not be in my regular
habits just yet. The interface for Thunderbird not be that much different
from Outlook Express for me, anyways.

Can anyone shed some light, me mateys, on importing EVERYTHING about me
messages? Lookas though I can NEVER change programs otherwise... even
Outlook Express did me the sarvice of importing the status of me messages
from Netscape 4.7 and before, such as those that be read or replied to
already. If I can truly import EVERYTHING, then I might be able to do this.

Ismail

Eyeglazer

Oct 17, 2005, 1:29:31 AM10/17/05
Ismail Saeed wrote:

> I be writing this in Outlook Express. Tho yes, I can certafy that regular
> Outlook has the newsgroups too, yarr. It should be noted, methinks, that IE
> was not even a usable browser once upon a time... now it just be a leaky
> ship of one.
>
> I done checked out Firefox an' Thunderbird. I'm sarry to say, but while
> Firefox be acceptable, Thunderbird only import me mail as all unread and not
> a one marked or flagged. This is quite unacceptable due to the years of
> archives I have that depend on being marked and flagged, and my ginormous
> inbox and sent items folders... I uninstalled Thunderbird to avoid that
> redundancy, I did. Firefox be nice though, though it not be in my regular
> habits just yet. The interface for Thunderbird not be that much different
> from Outlook Express for me, anyways.
>
> Can anyone shed some light, me mateys, on importing EVERYTHING about me
> messages? Lookas though I can NEVER change programs otherwise... even
> Outlook Express did me the sarvice of importing the status of me messages
> from Netscape 4.7 and before, such as those that be read or replied to
> already. If I can truly import EVERYTHING, then I might be able to do this.

Ugh. You're in something of a fix, sounds like. :( I think it's highly
unlikely you'll be able to find something that can import OE mail
correctly. Microsoft file formats are intentionally obfuscated to
discourage interoperability. Or: they don't want you to change programs,
so they'll do their best to fuck up your imports.

This is, more or less, how MS Office has maintained its market share
once it was established. OpenOffice, StarOffice, and probably several
other office suites have almost identical functionality, but while Word
documents are readable they never display quite right because the file
format isn't documented well enough to reproduce properly. Hence people
still buy MS Office for $200 or whatever it is instead of using OOo for
free. Self-perpetuated ubiquity. Same for IE vs. other browsers, and
especially with FrontPage: formatting is broken so as to be IE specific,
discouraging the use of alternative browsers which appear buggy but are
actually just trying to render broken HTML.

I don't know for sure if OE works on the same principle, but it would be
true to form if it did. It's been so long since I stopped using it that
I don't remember how or if I did a proper import -- I've never cared
much about archiving mail since I don't use it much.

If the above sounds overly hostile to MS apps, I don't apologize at all.
It's warranted. For further information on your unenviable predicament
(for which I sympathise :( see
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lock-in

Ismail Saeed

Oct 17, 2005, 6:37:20 AM10/17/05
"Eyeglazer" <no...@none.none> wrote in message

I agree to a point with the idea here.

However, the same lack of extended information applied even to Outlook 2003
forcibly importing OE's stuff, without OE even "exporting" to it.

So this isn't even something carried over between them.

Which, again, is REALLY odd since OE had the sense to keep this information
when it took on the mail archives originally, but Outlook 2003 doesn't. In
fact, even Thunderbird "imported" OE's stuff itself, I didn't just have OE
export it.

Ismail

Jonny

Oct 18, 2005, 2:25:01 PM10/18/05

It nay be importing with the status of yer sea-charts. Yarrr. But that
be no problem fer me. I just be 'appy ta be rid of the useless cargo
that be carried on the Outlook.

The newsgroup functionality nay be as good as the good ship Agent from
the Forté Fleet but it be much improved on the Outlooks Riggings.

Also I be likin' the RSS feed reading so I be receiving webpage updates
like e-mails.

So Outlook be walkin the plank fer me. Especially with a Calender
application sailing in on the horizon from the Mozilla seas.

--
- Cap'n Jonnyarrr

Jonny

Oct 18, 2005, 2:28:56 PM10/18/05

That be soundin' like they be hornswagglin ya, matey. Ye should make
them scurvy dogs walk the plank!

--
- Cap'n Jonnyarrr

aka DJ Bruja - GASH Collective
www.JonnyWorld.co.uk

Scurvy Sea Dog

AGFF Veteran
Mini-Greg Level 52
Wielder of the Materia Saber
Owner of Jonny's Ice Cream Store
Defender of Cassandra
Conquerer of VTAN
Eater of Bagels

"Someone once told him that bagels and cream cheese
were the food of the gods."

- Chapter 10 of Space: Above and Beyond yarrrr

[SNIP] All my points, medals and stuff are in the freezer! Yarrrr!

AIM: LtHorrock2k3

Katyanna

Oct 19, 2005, 2:25:22 AM10/19/05
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:28:56 +0200, Jonny
<Jo...@JonnyWorld.co.uk> wrote:

Of course, then I pulled a 14 hour shift on Monday. Yeah. I need
a nice quiet work week for once.

Cassandra J. Nichols

Apr 8, 2018, 1:53:56 PM4/8/18
On 2005-09-20 4:12 PM, Ismail Saeed wrote:

> Wouldn't you know it, I'm getting "spam" messages on IM now from cutieforyou
> type people.
>
> UseNet messages expire, right? Does google groups get crawled any?

This message still exists on my Usenet provider.

Since AIM is dead, Slipgate0, Slipgate0, Slipgate0. Come and get it,
Slipgate0.

Cassandra J. Nichols

Apr 8, 2018, 1:57:17 PM4/8/18
On 2005-09-16 11:02 PM, Cassandra J. Nichols wrote:

> RelMark wrote:
>
>> Anyone still use the 'AGFF' ID on AIM?
>
> It got removed and the user name is now reserved. I still remember the
> password, too....

It was "iluvpigwalk", or maybe "ilovepigwalk".

Cassandra J. Nichols

Aug 9, 2018, 7:31:30 PM8/9/18
On 2005-09-16 9:18 PM, Some Weirdo wrote:

> Cassandra wrote:
>
>>> I think my AIM list has over 200 people in the "AGFF" group.
>
>> Make that over 200 user names. A lot were the same people.
>
> Yeah. I have the same problem. My problem is that I'm not sure which
> are the "new" names and which are the old ones.
>
> My aim name is the same as it was: aweirdo42. I had another one, but it
> got suspended for some reason or another.

And now it's irrelevant. RIP, AIM.