Two thoughts on e-life

Jorn Barger

Sep 14, 2002, 6:36:46 AM9/14/02
1) the persistent (and instantaneous) archives of *debate* in netnews
and mailinglists are unprecedented and will surely change the nature
of argument, over the next century (if we survive that long).

The closest things would be published transcripts of (eg)
parliamentary debates, or ongoing battles in letters-columns, but
the lagtimes there are weeks instead of minutes.

The traditional devices of rhetoric assumed (I think) a 'broadcast'
forum where arguments were presented oratorically... but in
e-debate this advantage dwindles to nothing-- every rhetorical
appeal can easily be deflated immediately.

2) The netnews archives at groups.google.com offer 10-20 years
of history, within which must dwell some very colorful
characters, posting up an indiscreet storm and consequently
laying bare a rich-but-highly-fragmented autobiography.

I've started experimenting with reassembling these-- eg:
http://www.robotwisdom.com/ai/mckinstry.html --but I'm held
back somewhat by the potentially massive invasion-of-privacy,
even though every posting is implicitly public.

One of the required techniques is to inventory all their email
identities, which remarkably often seems to turn up half-assed
attempts to spoof or conceal identities, which can then open
up new realms, of a person's hidden lives...

DeRayMi

Sep 14, 2002, 3:12:19 PM9/14/02
jo...@enteract.com (Jorn Barger) wrote in message news:<16e613ec.02091...@posting.google.com>...

<<edit>>

> One of the required techniques is to inventory all their email
> identities, which remarkably often seems to turn up half-assed
> attempts to spoof or conceal identities,

OTM.

> which can then open
> up new realms, of a person's hidden lives...

I'm glad you don't work for Homeland Security.

tejas

Sep 14, 2002, 10:14:03 PM9/14/02

"Jorn Barger" <jo...@enteract.com> wrote in message

> One of the required techniques is to inventory all their email
> identities, which remarkably often seems to turn up half-assed
> attempts to spoof or conceal identities, which can then open
> up new realms, of a person's hidden lives...

So what. One could call most non-hidden lives to be half-assed.

ObConcept: Occam's Razor meets the Procrustean Bed.

--
Ted Samsel

tbsa...@infi.net
http://home.infi.net/~tbsamsel

ian glendinning

Sep 19, 2002, 12:12:43 PM9/19/02
"tejas" <tbsa...@infi.net> wrote in message

> ObConcept: Occam's Razor meets the Procrustean Bed.

Any chance you could decode this aphorism for me ?
Occam's Razor (basic simplification aim of the dialectic logic of
so-called "scientific method") is one of my research targets.

Ian Glendinning
www.psybertron.org

Elisabeth Riba

Sep 20, 2002, 9:41:44 AM9/20/02
In alt.fan.dejanews Jorn Barger <jo...@enteract.com> wrote:
> 1) the persistent (and instantaneous) archives of *debate* in netnews
> and mailinglists are unprecedented and will surely change the nature
> of argument, over the next century (if we survive that long).

> The closest things would be published transcripts of (eg)
> parliamentary debates, or ongoing battles in letters-columns, but
> the lagtimes there are weeks instead of minutes.

> The traditional devices of rhetoric assumed (I think) a 'broadcast'
> forum where arguments were presented oratorically... but in
> e-debate this advantage dwindles to nothing-- every rhetorical
> appeal can easily be deflated immediately.

For several centuries (Elizabethan England thru Colonial America, at
least) there were often debates/arguments conducted through
pamphleteering, which were written back-and-forths for public
distribution, and not oratorical.

--
--------------> Elisabeth Anne Riba * l...@osmond-riba.org <--------------
Looking for work in the Boston area. Dynamic professional with over