Poll: Why are you not a Usenet newsgroup moderator? (Warning: Sarcastic Content)

Paul W. Schleck

Oct 14, 2023, 9:46:48 AM10/14/23
"There are a number of existing Usenet newsgroups with no moderator:

https://groups.google.com/g/news.groups/c/Pp2H754mV3E/m/khRrnN-1BgAJ

but currently no volunteers. Why have you not volunteered?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/16l12t6/poll_why_are_you_not_a_usenet_newsgroup_moderator/

Marco Moock

Oct 14, 2023, 10:26:17 AM10/14/23
Is there a list of those groups?
Where can candidates find information which groups are currently not
usable because of lack of moderators?

I found some groups and discussed that with the big 8 management.

Andy Burns

Oct 14, 2023, 10:38:44 AM10/14/23
Marco Moock wrote:

> schrieb Paul W. Schleck:
>
>> "There are a number of existing Usenet newsgroups with no moderator:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/g/news.groups/c/Pp2H754mV3E/m/khRrnN-1BgAJ
>> but currently no volunteers. Why have you not volunteered?"

Because, in general, I prefer unmoderated groups.
It was in the first message in the thread above, here's a direct link

<https://groups.google.com/g/news.groups/c/Pp2H754mV3E/m/HKoNBK8VBQAJ>

rdh

Oct 19, 2023, 11:09:36 AM10/19/23
Because I don't want to be one.

😉 Good Guy 😉

Oct 19, 2023, 9:15:14 PM10/19/23
On 14/10/2023 14:46, Paul W. Schleck wrote:
but currently no volunteers. Why have you not volunteered?"

Because I don't believe in moderated newsgroups. Newsgroups should be free for everybody to post. You don't have to discriminate on the grounds of religion or ethnic origin. Both Jews and Muslims should be allowed to post and argue their respective cases. No ifs or buts.

Users can filter out posts (or obnoxious users) that they don't want to read or follow. For example, I don't like German Nazis or Russian or Italian mafias so I don't get any of their posts. Vlad Putin is disappointed by my stance but TOUGH!. I don't care about him.

Arrest
Dictator Putin

We Stand
With Ukraine

Stop Putin
Ukraine Under Attack

Paul W. Schleck

Oct 21, 2023, 4:22:34 PM10/21/23

In <OEbYM.22309$%WT8...@fx12.iad> rdh <r...@tilde.institute> writes:

>Because I don't want to be one.

One person saying that they don't want to get involved is a personal
choice, maybe a reflection on their own apathy and indifference. A
whole community doing so has larger issues about collective motivations,
and how it affects the overall state of that community.

It reminds me of criticism of those who say, "I'm not political." This
is a form of virtue- (or vice?)-signaling from those who have almost
never never suffered from the shortcomings of the world, lack
self-awareness of how they came to be so sheltered, and are indifferent
to those that have suffered. And that's not just a left- or right-wing
view, it's about basic civility, civics, and good-citizen/good-neighbor
participation in public life.

For those who say "I prefer" or "I don't want to," what do you consider
a (pragmatically-achievable) ideal world, such as on Usenet, or Internet
forums in general? And how should we get there?

--
Paul W. Schleck
psch...@panix.com

Sn!pe

Nov 4, 2023, 7:33:04 AM11/4/23
Paul W. Schleck <psch...@panix.com> wrote:

Please excuse me being late to the party.

> "There are a number of existing Usenet newsgroups with no moderator:
>
> <https://groups.google.com/g/news.groups/c/Pp2H754mV3E/m/khRrnN-1BgAJ>

That article is full of ad hominem abuse.

> but currently no volunteers. Why have you not volunteered?"

A moderated Usenet newsgroup is controlled by the whim of one person
or, at best, a small clique of moderators. Such a newsgroup is little
different from a proprietory web forum where the owner may ban
contributors on a whim.

> <https://www.reddit.com/r/ClassicUsenet/comments/16l12t6/poll_why_are_you_not_a_usenet_newsgroup_moderator/>

That article's sarcasm ignored, the point is addressed above.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just is.

Google Groups articles not seen unless poster is whitelisted.