Favorite Game Shows

mg

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
What were your favorite game shows of the '70's? Mine were:

Name That Tune
Match Game
25,000 Pyramid
Password

Rachel Cree

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
The Gong Show ( I know I know.. stop laughing you guys)
Match Game
Price is Right

Kelly A Wittman

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Rachel, I am not laughing. Due to overcrowding in my elementary school we
had lunch in the classrooms. The classrooms had a TV and The Gong Show was
our 5th grade obsession! I would love to see reruns of it for a laugh.

Kelly

mg

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
A lot of good people got their start on The Gong Show. Isn't that where
Gallagher got his start (yeah, he's good, he's real good)? Some other
comedians and singers also went on to success after being on there, but I
can't think of any names off hand.

That also makes me think of another fun show from the late '70's, Make Me
Laugh.

Rachel Cree <rec...@lon.ionline.net> wrote in message

Rachel Cree

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Thank you for your support Kelly!! I used to run home to watch that show and
I would love to see it again too! The unknown comic, ... the whole thing..
who was in that panel ... I remember some blonde lady and some old Vegas
type men...

Kelly A Wittman wrote in message
<7g4rv2$4c82$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>...

Sandyfour

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
I remember watching Match Game with my Mom while smelling the good smells of
supper cooking on the stove....(mmmm, love those mashed potatos!!) I remember
having some good laughs with that show! : )

Sandy

mg

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Anyone remember the panel, permanent members or revolving? Let's see,
Charles Nelson Reilly, Brett Sommars Klugman, Fannie Flagg, Bert Convy,
Eartha Kitt (occasional guest), Barbara Rhodes . . . can't remember any
others offhand.

Sandyfour <sand...@aol.com> wrote in message

Rebecca

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
The Gong Show really cracked me up, and I too wish they'd play reruns. My
favorite acts were the bands which sounded horrible... it was just so obvious
that someone on that panel holding their ears was going to get up and smack that
gong! LOL Also liked the unknown comic with the paper bag over his head. Two
people on the panel that I remember were Jaye P. Morgan and Jamie Farr. And
perhaps Phyllis Diller?

The other game shows I watched as a kid in the '70s were:
Match Game, I _loved_ Charles Nelson Reilly, don't ask me why. lol I liked him
on the Ghost and Mrs. Muir too, what a weenie he was! LOL
The Price Is Right
Name That Tune, we used to play along as a family and try to guess before the
contestant; what fun!
The $25,000 Pyramid, I liked this one because I actually _knew_ some of the
answers lol
Make Me Laugh

Becky

James Dobrovicz

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
If any of you get Game Show Network, The Gong Show is on weeknights at 11:30
p.m. Eastern, and Match Game is on at 6:30 p.m., 9 p.m., and 1 a.m. Eastern.

BTW--The Gong Show was the greatest thing that ever happened to
television!!! Where else could you see a program where the content was a
half-hour of contestants singing the song "Feelings" over and over? Or a
show where every single contestant was an Elvis impersonator?

--James C. Dobrovicz

"I don't know why they gonged you. I loved your act . . . but then again, I
love lint."
--- Chuck Barris

James Dobrovicz

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
The "regulars" on MG were Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly, and Richard
Dawson (until he was fired in 1978). Other frequent panelists included:
Fannie Flagg, Betty White, Elaine Joyce, Joyce Bulifant, Bill Daily, McLean
Stevenson, Gary Burghoff. Nipsey Russell, Orson Bean, and many, many others.

This week on Game Show Network, the panel is: Gene Wood, Brett, Gary
Burghoff, Amanda Blake (Miss Kitty from "Gunsmoke"), Richard, and Joyce
Bulifant.

Here's the URL to a web site devoted to Match Game:
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Set/7880/MG/MG.html

--James C. Dobrovicz

mg wrote in message <7g5b2f$ilf$1...@vnetnews.value.net>...

>Anyone remember the panel, permanent members or revolving? Let's see,
>Charles Nelson Reilly, Brett Sommars Klugman, Fannie Flagg, Bert Convy,
>Eartha Kitt (occasional guest), Barbara Rhodes . . . can't remember any
>others offhand.

James Dobrovicz

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
My favorites were (and still are thanks to GSN):

Match Game
The Joker's Wild
Tattletales
Tic Tac Dough
The Gong Show
To Tell the Truth
Treasure Hunt
Any version of Pyramid (except the one John Davidson hosted in the late
1980s)
Family Feud
Card Sharks
Password Plus

I've been looking for a wav file of the closing theme to Joker's Wild--the
really happy-sounding, upbeat synthesizer theme. Rumor has it that this
theme was written by Alan Thicke (later of "Growing Pains" and "Thicke of
the Night"). Can anybody help?

--James C. Dobrovicz

Rebecca

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99

James Dobrovicz wrote:

> My favorites were (and still are thanks to GSN):
>
> Match Game
> The Joker's Wild

I forgot about that one! That _was_ a fun game show to watch! :-)

Becky

Rebecca

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99

Rebecca wrote:

> James Dobrovicz wrote:
>
> > My favorites were (and still are thanks to GSN):
> >
> > Match Game
> > The Joker's Wild
>
> I forgot about that one! That _was_ a fun game show to watch! :-)

Oops, I'm referring to The Joker's Wild.

Becky

Geeber83

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
I vote for Match Game, definately.

Tom

Geeber83

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
Where did JP Morgan come from?? I never did figure that out, was she a movie
star or singer or WHAT. Family Fued was always cool, too, when it first
started with Richard Dawson.

Tom

Geeber83

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
Richard Dawson was on it, Joey Bishop I think, and Nipsy Russel who use to
rhyme everything.

Tom

mg

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
I think JP Morgan was a supper club, "torch"-type singer from the '50's and
'60's. I get a mail order catalog that specializes in oldies from all
genres, and they have some collections of hers, so perhaps she had some hits
back when. I've seen her on a rerun of "My Three Sons," made long before
she did Match Game, where she played a long-lost big band singer that tries
to go modern in Robbie's rock band. Also, she appeared in an "Odd Couple"
episode as herself, and Felix gets her to sing his song, "I'm Happy, I'm
Peppy, I'm Bursting with Love."

Geeber83 <geeb...@aol.com> wrote in message

James Dobrovicz

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
If that makes you mad, you ought to see the list of game shows that no one
will ever see again because the networks stupidly erased all the episodes in
the late 1970s.

--James C. Dobrovicz

John wrote in message <3727E298...@worldnet.att.nett>...
>x-no-archive: yes
>
>As a game show buff since Art Fleming's JEOPARDY, I am tiffed that the
>classics of past years don't have Pentium-ready CD-ROM versions. Sure,
>there's WHEEL and Alex Trebek's JEOPARDY, and that's it. No PYRAMID
>hosted by Dick Clark. No NAME THAT TUNE hosted by Tom Kennedy or a
>younger, more verile host (Tom looked real old in that CYBILL SHEPHERD
>SHOW segment). No MATCH GAME hosted by the current host. No FAMILY
>FEUD -- wait, there IS a FAMILY FEUD CD game, with an unknown actor
>hosting, but it's hard to find. Meanwhile, game shows are popular
>enough to inspire stuff like lottery games (in New York you can play
>scratch games based on WHEEL or DEAL) and a series of Mitsubishi radio
>ads mocking JEOPARDY's final round. I hear there will be a new FEUD and
>a new LET'S MAKE A DEAL, but for the most part all new game shows are on
>specialty cable channels (a food-based game on The Food Network, a
>sports trivia game show on ESPN, MUSIC JEOPARDY on MTV, the comical BEN
>STEIN'S MONEY on Comedy Central -- what's next, NAME THAT TOON on
>Cartoon Network?)
>
>In the 70s, a friend shared my interests in game shows. We used to make
>our own games and play them in my basement. Today, he is a bus driver.
>I'm disappointed that he didn't take that interest and try to become
>some sort of media personality so that he could go on to be a game host.

MrsHugh

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Here are my favorite game shows.

Match Game (gotta love Brett Summers (sp?), what ever happened to her?)
Joker's Wild
Card Sharks
Tattle Tales

I wasn't and still not a big fan of The Gong Show. My parents wouldn't let me
watch The Newlywed Game or The Dating Game, because they thought it was too
adult for a kid like me. I was born in 72. =o)

Molly
http://www.angelfire.com/mn/mollyfa99/index.html
ICQ # 37635413

James Dobrovicz

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Brett Somers is now retired, and lives somewhere in New England (I want to
say CT, but I'm not sure). According to the Match Game web site, the URL of
which I'll post when I find it, she and Gene Rayburn get together several
times a year and reminisce.

Ironically, Brett wasn't even supposed to be a panelist on Match Game.
Originially Goodson and Todman wanted Jack Klugman to be a panelist, and he
agreed to do it on the condition that they let Brett (his then-wife) be a
panelist at a later date. Klugman was on the very first week of the show in
1973, and was terrible.

--James C. Dobrovicz

Duquette Vick Pray Family

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
What was the one with the really big dice?
minmei

MrsHugh

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Wasn't the one with the big dice called High Rollers? I think Wink Martindale
was the host.

LizzieZ

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
>Wasn't the one with the big dice called High Rollers? I think Wink
>Martindale was the host.

He may have been host at some point, but I definitely remember a pre-Jeopardy!
Alex Trebek hosting "High Rollers."

Liz

Duquette Vick Pray Family

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Oooh, that's the one, I loved watching the big dice when I was like 3. I
also remember Joker's Wild and Match Game.
minmei

MrsHugh <mrs...@aol.comNoSpam> wrote in message

> Wasn't the one with the big dice called High Rollers? I think Wink
Martindale
> was the host.

James Dobrovicz

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
I think you might be mistaking game shows. Wink Martindale hosted "Gambit",
about which I don't remember anything. Alex Trebek hosted "High Rollers"
back before his ego hit the roof on "Jeopardy."

-- James C. Dobrovicz

"Sometimes a little brain damage can help"
--George Carlin

James Dobrovicz

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
I think Concentration went off the air in 1993. As for Let's Make a Deal,
there was supposed to be a new syndicated version of it this coming fall,
but it's been killed because no New York or Los Angeles station would air
it. But it may be back yet, perhaps packaged with the new, Louie Anderson
(???) hosted version of "Family Feud"

Pity that so many of the 1960s and 1970s episodes of Let's Make a Deal have
been erased. Those would be fun to watch. Same with Hollywood Squares from
the same time period.

RetroTrish wrote in message <7gq6dr$3sq$1...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>x-no-archive: yes
>
>As a kid I loved Let's Make a Deal and Concentration. Didn't both of
these
>go off the air in the last 5 or so years? Seems like they had an awfully
>long run.
>
>I like the old and new versions of Hollywood Squares, Jeopardy, and
>(although I think it is really cheesy!) The Price is Right.
> Trish in Atlanta
>My Retro Fun home page: http://home.att.net/~retrotrish/index.html
> * Dachshund Rescue * Retrotown Maillist
>RetroTrish's Retro Treasures * Dog Antiques * 1940's-'60's
> Children's Books * Boomerabilia Collectibles *
> http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/retrotrish/

James Dobrovicz

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
It's really sickening to find out just how many game shows from the 1960s
and 1970s are gone forever. I recently got Game Show Network, and follow
alt.tv.game-shows, so that's how I've found out these things. Apparently the
networks erased numerous episodes of almost all their game shows around 1978
because the general thought at that time was that old game shows had
absolutely no future value, and videotape wasn't cheap back in those days.
So while shows like "Hollywood Squares" ran from 1966-1980 on the network (I
think NBC), there's probably none of those episodes left.

Luckily, many of the Goodson-Todman shows, such as Match Game, To Tell the
Truth, What's My Line, Tattletales, Card Sharks, Family Feud, and The Price
is Right are still around.