The Truth about the Caroll County Accident?

Tiny Dancer

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

And so the word went out from sp...@costs.us.all:

>I don't know if this C&W song came out in the 70's or earlier but I
>remember hearing it on a K-tel album I owned (chartstoppers or
>something). Anyways I never sould figure out the story. Exactly what
>was the truth about the Caroll county accident?

My news server doesn't show any other messages, so forgive this if it's a
repeat, here's the lyrics:

Carroll County Accident
Recorded by Porter Waggoner

Carroll County's pointed out as kind of square
The biggest thing that happens is the county fair,
I guess that's why we thought it such a big event,
What we call the Carroll County accident.

The wreck was on the highway just outside the line,
Walter Browning lost his life and for a time
It seemed that Mary Ellen Jones would surely die,
But she lived long enough for her to testify.

Mary Ellen testified that he flagged her down,
Said he was sick and could she drive him into town,
No one ever doubted what she said was true,
'Cause she was well respected in the county too.

I went down to see the wreck like all the rest,
The broken glass the bloody seats the tangled mess,
But I found something no one else had ever seen,
Behind the dash in Mary's crumpled up machine.

A little match box circled by a rubber band,
And inside the ring from Walter Browning's hand,
It took awhile to figure out just what it meant,
The truth about the Carroll County accident.

By dark of night I dropped the ring into a well,
And took a sacred oath that I would never tell,
The truth about the Carroll County accident,
For the County ordered Dad a marble monument,
Yes, I lost him in the Carroll County accident.

So, as best as I can figure out, the singer's father was having an
affair with this Mary Ellen tramp ;-) What *I* could never figure out
was why the heck Dad got himself a marble monument for dying
in a car crash! Was he a big deal in town? Loved the tune at the
time I had it, wore it out practically, goodness only knows why.

Cheers,

TD

Webmistress of The Sesame Street Lyric & Sound Archives
http://www.nelsonbay.com/insanity/tiny/sesame1.html
well somebody had to do it!

hip...@delosnet.com

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

Yeah one would imagine in a county that's described as "square" that the
marble monument was because he was someone important... a war hero? a
former mayor?

Taking the ring off to have sex with a tramp is a bit extreme. Anyway, I
have the song on a Dolly Parton double album. It's the one that includes
such favorites as YOU'RE GONNA BE SORRY, BIG WIND, MULE SKINNER BLUES and
my all time favorite, D*I*V*O*R*C*E!

Dolly! Dolly!! Dolly!!!

Evelyn Paul

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

It was Ode to Billy Joe. He committed suicide by jumping off a bridge.
They later turned it into a movie with Robbie Benson

sp...@costs.us.all wrote in article
<354b27f...@news.edmonton.agt.net>...
> x-no-archive: yes

Tickz

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

"Although I guess the basic theme is the same I don't really think there was a
connection between these 2 stories, was there? I suspect both songs were
somehow based on true stories though."

Caroll County is also mentioned in "Ode to Billy Joe", as in ..."put a frog
down her back at the Caroll County picture show". That is if I am remembering
it correctly. Busy county!

Marie Braden

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

BZZT! The truth about the Carroll County Accident was that Walter
Browning and Mary Ellen Jones were having an affair. The Singer had
found his/her DAD's wedding ring in a matchbox inside the car......

--------
Put a face to the name! My boring personal page
http://www.geocities.com/wellesley/2008

MCFL FAQ
http://members.delphi.com/maweena

The Official 14th Fighter Squadron Home Page
http://www.misawa.af.mil/orgs/14fs

If dreams give you power, then I'm strong enough.
---Reba McEntire (Till You Love Me)

Charles P. Hobbs

May 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/5/98

sp...@costs.us.all wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Thanks to all who replied. I think I get the gist of the story now,
> but why did Mary Ellen have to testify? Was there a trial? Why?
> It was just a car accident, they happen every day.
>
> Also I guess sex scandals were more unheard of when this song came
> out. The sinning going on in this song seems rather tame by todays
> standards, doesn't it? Not that I want to get into a discussion on
> morals here, just an observation:)

I don't remember when the Carroll County Accident song came out, but
I do remember another old song about an even bigger scandal. . .one
sung by Tex Ritter about a rather interesting hotel fire. . .

Scott Starr

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

glintasandra...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2016, 3:38:19 PM11/22/16
My thoughts too. Did she die after that.
They would have been going the wrong way if they were running away.

space...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2017, 2:55:16 PM1/23/17
On Saturday, May 2, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Tiny Dancer wrote:
> And so the word went out from sp...@costs.us.all:
>
> >I don't know if this C&W song came out in the 70's or earlier but I
> >remember hearing it on a K-tel album I owned (chartstoppers or
> >something). Anyways I never sould figure out the story. Exactly what
> >was the truth about the Caroll county accident?

My favorite songs are Blue Suede Shoes by Carl Perkins but when Elvis sings it and This Ole House by Stuart Hamblen.

artd...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2017, 12:34:48 AM7/17/17
The carroll county accident by pw is about carroll county Arkansas...
The carrol county in ode to billy joe is in Mississippi...
Ok it's not the singers father that died but i believe the county deputy as it seems he knew how to investigate and where to look for evidence...

This may be why there are no longer railroads in carroll county.

artd...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2017, 12:38:01 AM7/17/17
It came out around 1967 or 68...
.
Had an aunt and uncle in Eureka Springs Ar...that new all that were involved...
Heard the song and stories many times as a kid visiting my aunt and uncle.

damo...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2017, 7:16:42 PM8/14/17
It was a fictional song. No such incident happened in real life. Porter Wagoner wrote it.

locoh...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2019, 10:57:45 AM7/1/19
He died HER car... I guess she had to testify as to why he was with her.