Hand-Clapping game chants

Rebecca

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
Me and my lil sis, Barbara, got really good and fast at these games.
Did anyone else play these? This little gem is the only chant that
sticks in my mind:

Miss Mary had a baby
She named it Tiny Tim
She put him in the bathtub
To see if he could swim.
He drank up all the water
He at a bar of soap
He tried to eat the bathtub
But it wouldn't go down his throat.
Miss Mary called the doctor
Miss Mary called the nurse
Miss Mary called the lady with the alligator purse, purse, purse (slap
hands together on each "purse")
The baby ate the doctor
The baby ate the nurse
The baby ate the lady with the alligator purse, purse,purse.

Now that I read it back, I realize that Sandy posted something similar
in the "Skipping Chants" thread. I wasn't much of a rope-jumper (always
got my feet tangled and usually ended up on my backside) but these
clapping games were so cool! Wonder if I could still do it? I think
when I visit my family in May, I'll see if Babs remembers this and we'll
see if we've still got it.

Becky

Sandyfour

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
>Did anyone else play these?

Actually I do remember the one you posted...I remember singing the first half
of it. I don't remember if I was jumping or hand clapping to it though! There
are so many versions to the same songs. Anyone remember Tulips together (a hand
clapping song)?? I remember the begining starting "tulips together...tie them
together (I think)...bring back my love to me". Thats as far as I get!
Sandy

WNK

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
See see, oh enemy
come out and play with me
and bring your rifles three (?)
climb up my poison tree.
Slide down my razor blade
into the alcohol.
And we'll be jolly enemies
forever more more, shut the door!

(The variant on "See see oh Playmate...." lyrics a little foggy....)
Ha ha

Nadine

WNK

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
Okay....vague memories. What are the words to THIS one? (Not sure if it was
hand clapping or skip rope or just a silly song....)

"Miss Suzy went to Hell-O Operator
Give me number nine"

Then something about....... "And cut her little ASk me no more questions,
I'll tell you no more lies. The boys are in the bathroom, pulling down
their flies are in the city, bees are in the hive...."

I just remember feeling "dirty and bad" when we did this one. Tee hee,
snicker.

Nadine

Rebecca

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99

WNK wrote:

> Okay....vague memories. What are the words to THIS one? (Not sure if it was
> hand clapping or skip rope or just a silly song....)
>
> "Miss Suzy went to Hell-O Operator
> Give me number nine"

We did this as a hand-clapping game and I *think* it went something like this:

Miss Suzy had a baby, the baby had a boat (?)
The boat went up to Heaven, the baby went to
Hell-O operator, give me number nineand if you don't connect me, I'll kick your
big be--hind the 'frigerator there was a piece of glass
Miss Suzy sat upon it and cut her big fat aaaa...
Ask me no more questions, I'll tell you no more lies
The boys are in the bathroom, zipping down their
Flies are in the city, bees are in the park
15 boys and 15 girls are kissing in the D.A.R.K. Dark!

> Then something about....... "And cut her little ASk me no more questions,
> I'll tell you no more lies. The boys are in the bathroom, pulling down
> their flies are in the city, bees are in the hive...."
>
> I just remember feeling "dirty and bad" when we did this one. Tee hee,
> snicker.
>
> Nadine

Thanks for the memory! I felt exactly the same "naughty" way when we did that
one. Of course, I don't think I knew what a "fly" was at the time, but it sure
sounded naughty. ROFLMAO!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! That memory was great for a
much-needed belly-laugh!

Becky

PS: Reminds me of the first time I came across the Rolling Stones' album Sticky
Fingers and me, oh-so-innocently of course, unzipping the zipper on the cover
and being disappointed that there was nothing but white empty cardboard behind
it. hehehehe ;-)

remove Tommie Christine Blackledge

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 13:44:49 -0600, "WNK" <wi...@frii.com> wrote:

>Okay....vague memories. What are the words to THIS one? (Not sure if it was
>hand clapping or skip rope or just a silly song....)
>
>"Miss Suzy went to Hell-O Operator
>Give me number nine"

Miss Suzy had a steamboat
The Steamboat had a bell
Miss Suzy went to heaven
The steamboat wento to Hell-o
Operator,
Give me number nine,
And if you disconnect me,
I'll paddle your be-hind
The 'fridgerator
There was a pice of glass,
Miss Suzy fell upon it
And cut her big fat ass-k
me no more questions,
Tell me no more lies,
The girls are in the boys room
Zipping up their flies
Are in the meadow,
Bees are in their hives
And if you disconnect me,
I'll give you two black eyes!

Or something like that...lots of variations. This is what we sang in
Ohio.

Tommie

WNK

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
Thanks!!!! I am so relieved. :)

Nadine

Sandyfour

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99

><HTML><PRE>Subject: Re: Hand-Clapping game chants
>From: "WNK" <wi...@frii.com>
>Date: Wed, Apr 7, 1999 08:32 EDT

I never heard that version before! Do you remember the lyrics to the original??
We sang it...
Oh, jolly playmate

come out and play with me

and bring your dollies three
climb up my apple tree
slide down my rainbarrel
into your cellar door
and we'll be jolly friends...forever more

Oh, jolly playmate
I cannot play with you
my dolly has the flu
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo ho
(our variation was..."she threw up in my shoe")
I have no rainbarrel
I have no cellar door
but we'll be jolly friends
forever more!

I'd be interested how others sang it????
Sandy

WNK

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
That is our version as well!!!

We actually sang:

"See see oh playmate....." and "Slide down my rainbow...."

I thought the enemy one was nationwide as well... you must have been nice
kids. :)

Nadine

Swirl4me

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
My sister got her mouth washed out with soap for this one:

Apple on a stick, that makes me sick.
Makes my tummy go two forty-six (whatever that means)
Not because I'm dirty, not because I'm clean.
Not because I kissed a boy behind a magazine.
Hey boy, you wanna pick a fight?
Here comes your mama with her pants on tight.
She can wibble, she can wobble,
She can do the splits,
But best of all she can KISS, KISS, KISS!

mg

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
I suddenly have a feeling that there may be something sinister behind the
more vulgar chants for children.

Most kids, especially back in our day before cable and Fox television, were
relatively unsophisticated when it came to knowledge of sex, other than some
exposure to cuss words (which we didn't always know the meaning of). Also,
most kids are not verbally sophisticated enough to come up with the rhyming,
word games, and the double meanings involved in these things. So, who makes
them up? Adults? Teenagers? And why are these older people sitting around
making up these dumb rhymes and passing them onto the little kids in the
playgrounds? What I'm getting to is -- they might be made up by pedophiles!
Then, the poor, victimized kids pass them onto the more innocent kids.

Am I being too Freudian, or am I on the right track?

Swirl4me <swir...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

Sandyfour

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99

>Okay....vague memories. What are the words to THIS one?

okay...this is the version I knew as a kid...as best as I remember. I think
there are many versions of it, in fact I just read one by Rachel!

China men, China men, digging in a ditch
one called the other one a dirty son of a...
pitch me out the window, landed on the grass
a bumblebee came along and stuck him in the...
ask me no more questions, I'll tell you no more lies.
That's what uncle Richard said the night before he died.
Billy got a steam boat, steam boat has a bell.
Billy went to heaven, steam boat went to...
hello operator give me number 9.
The boys are in the basement,
pulling up their...
flys are in the kitchen, eating apple pie!

Thats the best I remember anyway!
Sandy

Rachel Cree

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
ROTFL!! this one made me choke with laughter!! a real keeper!!

( still laughing)

Michael E. Kotler

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
In article <QiIO2.182$2O7.17...@news.frii.net>, wi...@frii.com
says...
> See see, oh enemy

> come out and play with me
> and bring your rifles three (?)
> climb up my poison tree.
> Slide down my razor blade

The way we did it was:

"Come out and fight with me"

"Slide down my spider web
Into my dungeon door
And we'll be enemies, forever more - 1 2 3 4.

Michael Kotler
mek...@aol.com

Michael E. Kotler

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
I think this one came from the TV show ZOOM. It had a repeating sequence
of alternate snaps, claps, and tapping one's lap:

Miss Mary Mac, Mac, Mac
All dressed in black, black, black
She asked her mother, mother, mother
For 15 cents, cents, cents
To see the boys, boys, boys
Climb up the fence, fence, fence
They climbed so high, high, high
They reached the sky, sky, sky,
They never came back, back, back
Til the fourth of July, ly,
LIAR!!
(point to the other person accusing him/her as such)

Michael Kotler
mek...@aol.com

Bob Stell

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
Ithink you must be one of those types that worries TOO much about our OHH MY
GOD..UNPOLITICALLY CORRECT SOCIETY!!!!

what was in the included ryme that was obscene???

sorry, but you asked. "A momma with tight pants who can kiss"....OH MY GOD!!!!
(sorry GOLLY!!!)

--
Bob

Visit my web site:

"Stellini's Hero's & Turds Themepark"
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/9871/

classof89

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
In article <19990409133614...@ng-ce1.aol.com>,

swir...@aol.comNOSPAM (Swirl4me) wrote:
> My sister got her mouth washed out with soap for this one:
>
> Apple on a stick, that makes me sick.
> Makes my tummy go two forty-six (whatever that means)
> Not because I'm dirty, not because I'm clean.
> Not because I kissed a boy behind a magazine.

From here, I learned it as:

Hey girls, look over there
Here comes (name of boy you like) in his underwear
He can weeble, he can wobble
He can even to the splits
But I bet a million dollars he can't do this
Close his eyes and count to ten

Then you kept clapping while you closed your eyes and counted to ten. I could
never make it to ten.

> Hey boy, you wanna pick a fight?
> Here comes your mama with her pants on tight.
> She can wibble, she can wobble,
> She can do the splits,
> But best of all she can KISS, KISS, KISS!

Swirl4me

Apr 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/15/99
<< > My sister got her mouth washed out with soap for this one:

> Apple on a stick, that makes me sick.
> Makes my tummy go two forty-six (whatever that means)
> Not because I'm dirty, not because I'm clean.
> Not because I kissed a boy behind a magazine.

From here, I learned it as:

Hey girls, look over there
Here comes (name of boy you like) in his underwear
He can weeble, he can wobble
He can even to the splits
But I bet a million dollars he can't do this
Close his eyes and count to ten

Then you kept clapping while you closed your eyes and counted to ten. I could
never make it to ten.

> Hey boy, you wanna pick a fight?
> Here comes your mama with her pants on tight.
> She can wibble, she can wobble,
> She can do the splits,
> But best of all she can KISS, KISS, KISS!

Thanks, 89. I'll have to send this new version to my sister. And a new bar of
soap.

Charles P. Hobbs

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Bob Stell wrote:

> Ithink you must be one of those types that worries TOO much about our OHH MY
> GOD..UNPOLITICALLY CORRECT SOCIETY!!!!
>
> what was in the included ryme that was obscene???
>
> sorry, but you asked. "A momma with tight pants who can kiss"....OH MY GOD!!!!
> (sorry GOLLY!!!)
>
> mg wrote:
>
> > I suddenly have a feeling that there may be something sinister behind the
> > more vulgar chants for children.
> >
> > So, who makes
> > them up? Adults? Teenagers? And why are these older people sitting around
> > making up these dumb rhymes and passing them onto the little kids in the
> > playgrounds? What I'm getting to is -- they might be made up by pedophiles!
> > Then, the poor, victimized kids pass them onto the more innocent kids.
> >
> > Am I being too Freudian, or am I on the right track?

I won't speak for all of the rhymes, but a lot of the more
risque ones (especially the "yo mamma" stuff) might have come
from an old game called "the dozens". . .the object of this game
was to insult members of your opponent's family. If you got angry
over something that was said, you lost.

LizzieZ

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
>I think this one came from the TV show ZOOM. It had a repeating
>sequence of alternate snaps, claps, and tapping one's lap:
>
>Miss Mary Mac, Mac, Mac
>All dressed in black, black, black <etc.>

In the ZOOM CATALOG I have here (copyright 1972, WGBH, $3.50!!!) there are six
variations on Merry Macs besides the one you listed here! Some of them have
the most random references in them...

Of course, now I'm going to have this melody in my head for
who-knows-how-long.... just when I was getting "Seasons in the Sun" out of my
head! LOL

Liz

pcarb...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2014, 7:57:51 PM2/10/14
I CANT BELIEVE IT!!! I HAVE BEEN SCOURING THE INTERNET LOOKING FOR ONE PERSON THAT CAN REMEMBER THIS!!! YESSSSS! I CAN DO THE WHOLE HAND CLAPPING WITH MY SISTER TO THIS & I IS THE BEST ONE! OK...SOME OF THE WORDS MAYBE OFF....BUT HERE WE GO:

For spades go (start holding hands and swinging them 4 times)
Tulips together, twilight in heaven
bring back my love to me
what is the me- me - meaning
of all the flow ow ow flowers
it tells the store or or ry
the story of love from me to you
when we get mar ah ah arried
where shall we li i i i ive
in Sunny spai ai ai ain
or gay par ri ri ri ri ri ri?
our hearts go boom body boom boom (hands in fists bumping on top of each other)
boom body boom boom
over the love for you!
I love you eternally (now you slap pinkies softly)
our love is special indeed
and thats the store or or ry
the story of
L.....O......V......E.... (now you clap loudly palms up then down)
Love from me to you! CHA CHA CHA! (end with hi-fi'ing loudly)
Message has been deleted

pcarb...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2014, 8:04:45 PM2/10/14

pcarb...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2014, 8:06:37 PM2/10/14

rach...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2015, 6:07:54 PM3/15/15
This is a reply to Sandyfour and pcarb...@gmail.com

This the version of tulips together I was taught by my mother:

The spades goes
Tulips together, tie them together
bring back my love to me
what is the me- me - me meaning
of all these flow ow ow owers
They tell the store or or ory
The story of love from me to you

The Ship sailed over the ocean
over the ocean
over the big blue sea

It sailed for many a day
it sailed for hours away

This is our store or or ory
Our story of love from me to you! CHA CHA CHA!

bki...@nasco.com

Sep 4, 2016, 10:53:50 PM9/4/16
This is like the one I remember as a child. I remember the hand claps were more complicated for this one than the others! Did your mom teach you the claps? I think I'll look on you tube.

alp...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2017, 8:47:42 AM3/3/17
Oh there are two lips together tied up forever so they will never part
What is the meaning, meaning
Of all these flowers, flowers
They tell a story, story
The story of my love to you from me
My heart goes thumpitty, thump thump, thumpitty, thump thump
Over my love for you
My lips go tinkitty, tink tink, tinkitty, tink tink
Over my love for you

garn...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2017, 11:57:20 AM10/24/17
I remember it this way:

Lulu had a tugboat, the tugboat had a bell,
Lulu went to heaven, the tugboat went to hell-o
operator
give me number 9
and if it doesn't ring, I'll cut off your be-
hind the iron curtain there laid a piece of glass
LuLu sat upon it and broke her little
ask me no more questions
I'll tell you no more lies,
Lulu told me all this,the day before she died.

On Tuesday, April 6, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Rebecca wrote:
> Me and my lil sis, Barbara, got really good and fast at these games.
> Did anyone else play these? This little gem is the only chant that
> sticks in my mind:
>
> Miss Mary had a baby
> She named it Tiny Tim
> She put him in the bathtub
> To see if he could swim.
> He drank up all the water
> He at a bar of soap
> He tried to eat the bathtub
> But it wouldn't go down his throat.
> Miss Mary called the doctor
> Miss Mary called the nurse
> Miss Mary called the lady with the alligator purse, purse, purse (slap
> hands together on each "purse")
> The baby ate the doctor
> The baby ate the nurse
> The baby ate the lady with the alligator purse, purse,purse.
>
> Now that I read it back, I realize that Sandy posted something similar
> in the "Skipping Chants" thread. I wasn't much of a rope-jumper (always
> got my feet tangled and usually ended up on my backside) but these
> clapping games were so cool! Wonder if I could still do it? I think
> when I visit my family in May, I'll see if Babs remembers this and we'll
> see if we've still got it.
>
> Becky

lapi...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2018, 12:50:41 AM3/14/18
Spades was always my favorite. Online, I cannot find the version we did, which is similar to the others, but different.

The spades go
Two lips together
Tie them forever
Bring back my love to me
What is the Me he ha ning
Of all these flo ha ha wers
This is my sto ho hory
My story of love
From me to you.

My heart goes
thumpatity thump thump
thumpatity thump thump
Over the site of you
You are my one and only
I love you per son ally
This is my sto ho hory
My story of love
From me to you.

My eyes go
blinkety blink blink
blinkety blink blink
Over the sight of you
You are my one and only
I love you per son ally
This is my sto ho hory
My story of love
From me to you.
Cha cha cha

d.mo...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2018, 4:53:38 PM3/19/18
On Wednesday, April 7, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Sandyfour wrote:
> >Did anyone else play these?
>
> Actually I do remember the one you posted...I remember singing the first half
> of it. I don't remember if I was jumping or hand clapping to it though! There
> are so many versions to the same songs. Anyone remember Tulips together (a hand
> clapping song)?? I remember the begining starting "tulips together...tie them
> together (I think)...bring back my love to me". Thats as far as I get!
> Sandy

"What is the meaning,
Of all these flowers
They tell the story
The story of love
From me to you

When we get married
Where shall we live
In sunny Spain
Or Gay Pari(s)
Wee Wee Wee Wee (clap, clap, clap)

desk...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 7:11:45 PM4/18/18
Looking for a video for the hand clap part of this one. Can’t find it anywhere.