Oscar Gamble: The Greatest Afro in baseball history

1 view

antipos...@my-deja.com

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
Check this out (from CNN/SI)

What a great 70s hairdo! How did he manage to keep his cap on?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/galleries/then_and_now/gamble/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Zep77

Nov 29, 2000, 12:00:30 AM11/29/00
dude,i couldn't stop laughing when i saw the title of your post! me and my
friends have goofed on Gamble's fro for about 20 years now.a late 70's baseball
card showed it in all it's glory.
it doesn't rival the greatest fro of all time though,which belongs to a woman
on a poster behind Scatman Crothers in the film the shining.
Mike (still laughing)

Tiny Dancer

Dec 2, 2000, 10:02:54 PM12/2/00
And so the word went out from antipos...@my-deja.com:

>Check this out (from CNN/SI)
>
>What a great 70s hairdo! How did he manage to keep his cap on?
>
>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/galleries/then_and_now/gamble/

LOL, pardon me while I wipe off my monitor! What a great pic and indeed
a fantastic 'fro! New to me, I only vaguely remember the guy, when did he
cut it off? There's talk of the Yankees getting him to cut it here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/your_turn/news/2000/07/31/chatreel_gamble/

But it doesn't say when, just curious. He talks about the 'fro on the chat:

From Luke Winn in Fort Atkinson, Wisc.: Oscar: Images of your afro seem
to keep popping up in odd places. Bob Costas showed an audience of the
Conan O'Brien show that he keeps your card in his wallet. The rock band
Phish used the same card as a backstage pass for a recent tour, altering
the words to say "Phish takes a Gamble on Oscar." Were you aware of
this, and what are your thoughts on the lingering hype over the 'fro?

Oscar Gamble: Oh, I've really enjoyed the attention... I get a lot of cards
for me to sign. Most of them are that '75 bubble gum card that has that afro.
I think they keep popping up. I think after 2000, they go back to the '70s a lot...
what was happening a lot in the '90s was that they were talking about the '60s.
There were a lot of guys wearing the afro at that time.

And here's something neat I found in my search, from here:

http://www.weeklywire.com/ww/08-09-99/nash_cl-sports.html

Best afro hairstyles

6. Walt Frazier
5. Phil "Action" Jackson
4. Jerry Hairston
3. Dr. J
2. Oscar Gamble
1. Artis Gilmore--in 1973, his basketball-sized take-some-soul-to-the-hole
'fro officially replaced the Astrodome as Eighth Wonder of the World.

I mean, if you can't debate 'fros then what exactly is the point of the ng? ;-)

Cheers,

TD

Even after all these years
I miss you when you're not here
from John Lennon's "Dear Yoko"

Webmistress of the official a.c.u '70s site
http://members.nbci.com/oroborus12/70s.html

The Sesame Street Lyrics and Sounds Archive
http://i.am/tinyd

Tiny Dancer's X-Files Episode Guide
http://www.insanity.com.au/td/

Tiny Dancer

Dec 2, 2000, 10:04:51 PM12/2/00
And so the word went out from antipos...@my-deja.com:

>How did he manage to keep his cap on?

Ooops, forgot to address this, Tom, sorry! If you were serious, from the chat:

From Michael Hammer in New York, N.Y.: Oscar, did you have to get
a hat specially made to fit over the afro?

Oscar Gamble: No, I just got a larger size than what I was wearing.
I'd start at the back and pull it over. I had a lot of pitchers want to throw
a ball at my head to see if it would stick in my hair!

antipos...@my-deja.com

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <3a29b4a7...@news.idirect.com>,
ti...@idirect.com (Tiny Dancer) wrote:

> And here's something neat I found in my search, from here:
>
> http://www.weeklywire.com/ww/08-09-99/nash_cl-sports.html
>
> Best afro hairstyles
>
> 6. Walt Frazier
> 5. Phil "Action" Jackson
> 4. Jerry Hairston
> 3. Dr. J
> 2. Oscar Gamble
> 1. Artis Gilmore--in 1973, his basketball-sized
take-some-soul-to-the-hole
> 'fro officially replaced the Astrodome as Eighth Wonder of the World.

Hello TD,

Thanks for this post. I forgot about Artis Gilmore, but I remember
possessing his basketball card. He definitely had a great `fro.

I went to high school between 1975 and 1979, and for the first two
years, I hung out with a couple of black kids (until they left school)
and got into funk music and other aspects of black culture in large part
through them. Neither kid had much of an afro, though some of the other
black kids, and even some of the white kids, at my high school
definitely did. I also got really into basketball in the late 70s.

So when I see a funky afro, it conjures up a whole host of associations
in my memory bank.

> I mean, if you can't debate 'fros then what exactly is the point of
the ng? ;-)

Absolutely. Incidentally, I wish you could have joined me a few years
back at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge, MA (a wonderful repertory
movie theater), when I went during Pam Grier month and caught a double
feature of "Coffy" and "Friday Foster." The audience was in stiches at
how campy these movies now are. It was a really fun enening.

Tom

antipos...@my-deja.com

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
In article <3a29b88a...@news.idirect.com>,
ti...@idirect.com (Tiny Dancer) wrote:

> Ooops, forgot to address this, Tom, sorry! If you were serious, from
the chat:

> From Michael Hammer in New York, N.Y.: Oscar, did you have to get
> a hat specially made to fit over the afro?
>
> Oscar Gamble: No, I just got a larger size than what I was wearing.
> I'd start at the back and pull it over. I had a lot of pitchers want
> to throw a ball at my head to see if it would stick in my hair!

Thanks, TD, for the clarification. I had assumed that he had some
fasteners, like Jewish guys use to wear their yarmulkes. I'm really
surpised that he was able to keep his cap on.

The Wanderer

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
Crazy Glue?

--
Buddy
from Brooklyn

And I've been knocking
But no one answers
And I've been knocking for most of the day
Oh I've been callin' Oh hey, hey Johnny cant you come out to play
Johnny cant you come out to play in your empty garden