ABC Afterschool Specials

1 view

JBZoller

Dec 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/26/97

Does anyone remember the ABC Afterschool Special from the 1970s called "My
Mom's Having a Baby?" I remember loving it -- (it was part animation, part
real people) Does anyone have it on tape or remember who was in it? Anyone
remember any other great afterschool specials?

Dixon Hayes

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

JBZoller <jbzo...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19971226020...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Oh, this one was a classic! I remember my sister and I being all wound up
for it because it was going to tell us where babies came from. We already
knew, but we wanted to hear it from a children's television show.

I also remember the plot had to do with a doctor explaining it to a couple
of kids, with some animation. I'll always remember the happy little sperms
rushing to the egg.

My father just about freaked when he saw what we were watching, then froze
in his tracks when he realized what it was!

Dixon "brought to you by Kellogg's Rice Krispies" Hayes

Dixon Hayes

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

>But I do remember watching it. As well as the
> other one... don't recall the name. It was sort of like Fantastic
> Voyage where some kids took a trip through another kid's body with
> their guide "Timer" who afterwards spawned a few nutrition
> commercials.

I remember this one, too. It seemed the two kids suddenly turned into tiny
cartoons, perched on the edge of Grandpa's coffee cup, and Grandpa drank
them. I remember being freaked out...

Dixon "Hi mom, I was just, er, visiting Grandpa" Hayes

Dave Block

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

The only one I remember was with Scott Baio (sp?) about being stoned.
His character used to smoke pot and I can't remember exactly but I
think he accidently hit his brother on the head with an oar (they were
swimming from a boat) and his brother almost drowned. He was very
distraught, saying, "I was stoned". I think this was 1980 or 81......

Dave

kevin mayle

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

Does anyone have on tape any Time for Timer" clips? He would sing
"Hankerin' for a hunka, a slice a piece a chunka, hankerin' for a hunk
of cheese. Look it's a wagon wheel.

Tom Schaeffer

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

That Scott Baio special was called Growing up Stoned. He also did The
Boy Who Drank Too Much.

smudge

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

JBZoller (jbzo...@aol.com) wrote:
: Does anyone remember the ABC Afterschool Special from the 1970s called "My

: Mom's Having a Baby?" I remember loving it -- (it was part animation, part
: real people) Does anyone have it on tape or remember who was in it? Anyone
: remember any other great afterschool specials?

I remember one with 1970s icon Kristy McNichol [sp] called "The Pinballs".
It was about foster kids. Was this her first TV role?

--smudge

Liquid Spleen

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

ABC still occasionally runs some (one?) of the Timer clips on Saturday
mornings, in-between cartoons and commercials. Just like they do with
Schoolhouse Rock, but less frequently. I love the part where Timer
suggests putting fruit juice (pomegranate juice is mentioned) in an
ice-cube tray to make "sunshine on a stick."

Barrue

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

>I remember one with 1970s icon Kristy McNichol [sp] called "The Pinballs".
>It was about foster kids. Was this her first TV role?
>
>--smudge

no, I think "Apple's Way" was

**** Now Updated Weekly ****

For God Stuff, Poems, and of course Babes---
Check out my web site at:
http://members.aol.com/Barrue/index.html

Charles P. Hobbs

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

Robert O. Sanchez wrote:

> Was'nt there a "Scared straight", special I remember the hype and all
> the talk around junior high. It was a special about going inside a
> prison and interviewing prison life..
>
> Robert

If I recall, correctly, there was a couple of "Scared
Straights" . . .a really wild syndicated version, and a
much tamer network version. I think both aired in the
early 80's, though. . .

How they worked: Groups of incorrigib. . .oops, "at-risk"
kids (about high school age, or maybe even junior high)
were taken on tours of prisons, where inmates would describe
certain aspects of prison life in not-so-flowery terms. ..

I don't know how well this program (meaning, the idea of
prison tours for kids, not necessarily the TV show) really
worked in the long run; eventually, kids might have become
just too jaded to be impressed even by lifers yelling at
them "Stay out of here, or don't drop the soap", etc.

Dave Block

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

I recall that the program congradulated itself on its success. I do
remember this one girl who continued to have problems even after being
"scared straight". I wonder if it is possible to research all of the
kids and see how it REALLY affected them after all of these years?

And I do recall one prisoner who had his eye taken out (literally
plucked out in a fight of some kind) who used his missing eye quite
effectively on the kids.

John Beuker

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

smu...@world.std.com (smudge) wrote:

>I remember one with 1970s icon Kristy McNichol [sp] called "The Pinballs".
>It was about foster kids.

I saw that one too. Kristy was sort of looking after a kid with a
cast, that is almost all I can remember, apart from that she was very
sweet of course. And there was something about a quarterback. I would
very much like to hear if anyone remembers more.
Kristy McNichol played in three Afterschool specials. Fawn Story,
1975. Me and Dad's new wife in 1976 and The Pinballs in 1977.

>Was this her first TV role?

As Barrue said Apple's Way was her first proper role, as Patricia
Apple, in 1974. But her very first role was in Love: American Style in
1971. I heard that was a comedy. Anyone know what kind of show that
was?

John Beuker
Kristy McNichol fanpage: www.xs4all.nl/~mayday/

Unknown

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

-
--->As Barrue said Apple's Way was her first proper role, as Patricia
--->Apple, in 1974. But her very first role was in Love: American
Style in
--->1971. I heard that was a comedy. Anyone know what kind of show
that
--->was?

She was also in an Episode of Starsky & Hutch!!!

(--++--CrownDog--++--)

LizzieZ

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

Wasn't there another one (not sure if it was part of this particular series,
though) that featured a very young Helen Hunt as a girl who was into drugs?
For some reason I remember a sequence that had her jumping off a building
stoned... Anyone else have any recollection of that?

And in that same vein, what other present day stars can you think of that came
out of after-school specials? We've already hit Kristi McNichol and Scott Baio
(although their current "star" status is debatable...)

Barrue

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

>Kristy McNichol played in three Afterschool specials

>But her very first role was in Love: American Style in

>1971. I heard that was a comedy. Anyone know what kind of show that
>was?

"Love American Style" was a half hour comedy show. It had little skits about
love, dating, and romance. All I remember about Kristys' appearance, was a
scene with her in a white(?) dress in a restaurant.

> We've already hit Kristi McNichol and Scott Baio
>(although their current "star" status is debatable...)

IMHO, both are still stars.

John Beuker

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

(CrownDog) wrote:

>--->As Barrue said Apple's Way was her first proper role, as Patricia

>--->Apple, in 1974. But her very first role was in Love: American
>Style in
>--->1971. I heard that was a comedy. Anyone know what kind of show
>that

>--->was?
>
>She was also in an Episode of Starsky & Hutch!!!

She was in three episodes of Starsky and Hutch! The first time was in
January 1976, the second time on Christmas Day 1976, the third time in
February 1978. Details and sounds of that Christmas episode on my
Kristy McNichol homepage (www.xs4all.nl/~mayday/ ) if I may add :-)

John Beuker

Aunt Mimo

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

On Thu, 01 Jan 1998 19:16:10 GMT, may...@xs4all.nl (John Beuker)
wrote:

<smu...@world.std.com (smudge) wrote:
<
<
<>I remember one with 1970s icon Kristy McNichol [sp] called "The
Pinballs".
<>It was about foster kids.
<
<I saw that one too. Kristy was sort of looking after a kid with a
<cast, that is almost all I can remember, apart from that she was very
<sweet of course. And there was something about a quarterback. I would
<very much like to hear if anyone remembers more.
<Kristy McNichol played in three Afterschool specials. Fawn Story,
<1975. Me and Dad's new wife in 1976 and The Pinballs in 1977.
<

The boy had 2 broken legs. His father had broken them. But the boy
tried to deny it and tell himself that he and his father had a good
relationship. Kristy's character said she felt like a pinball because
of the way she got bounced around foster homes. I think there was
also a 3rd kid, a young boy. I don't remember why he was in foster
care. The part I remember most vividly is when Kristy, who wanted to
become a nurse, noticed that the boy's toes were badly swollen. She
said something like, "I know bad toes when I see bad toes, and those
are bad toes," then went to get the foster mother to take the boy to
the hospital.

Mimo
Does the past not always seem safer, more secure
than the present? And far more so than the future.
--Don Coldsmith
Thunderstick