The popularity of 500 ml cans of bourbon and cola... a smart advertising campaign, maybe?

Fred Nieman

Dec 14, 2002, 8:28:39 AM12/14/02
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the good folks who like
to sit in daytime near shopping centres or similar public spaces and
have a quiet drink, have, in the last year or so become very partial to
500 ml (or so... there may be 475 ml instances, or whatever) cans of
bourbon and cola?

They seem to go under names similar to well-known brands of American
Whiskey [notice the e between k and y] in a way somewhat analogous to
the "hello kitty" knock-off stuff you can buy at $2 shops. OK, so "we
are enjoy fun times" pink plastic slippers and "crack a woody" aren't
really so similar, but you get the idea.

From the advertising I've seen at bottle-os, these happy cans apparently
come in 6-packs for about $13.95 or so. At 5% alcohol/3 000 mls of
delightful beverage, that's 150 mls pure ethanol for ~ $ 14. That's $
9.33 per 100 ml CH4-CH3-OH.

Appears to me they pack way less drinking pleasure per hard-earned than,
for example:
- that long-neck of VB in the inner pocket of your overcoat (4.9%
alcohol/750 ml of CUB's finest @ $ 2.35, that's $ 6.39/100 ml
- a bottle of finest domestic Ruby Port in a brown paper bag (18.5%
alcohol/750 ml @ $ 8.25, that's $ 5.95/100 ml
- a 4 litre cask of Chateau D'Armpit 2002 Misc. Red Grapes next to the
TV (12.5% alcohol/4000 ml @ $ 16.95, which is a teeny $ 3.39/100 ml of
Essence of Pain-Go-Bye-Byes Juice (cf: Dr Katz, Professional
Therapist)...

[cp: Laphroaig, in your thesis supervisor's room (41.3% alcohol/750 ml @
$ 69.95 - $ 22.58/100 ml peaty tastes and extension excuses]

Nevertheless, seems many folks that may otherwise have gone for the
options outlined above (and There, But For The Grace Of [insert name of
your Preferred Divinity, if any, here] Go You and I) have chosen the
cool, slim, and mostly black cans that are the subject of this
communication.

Is it the alcohol+caffeine thing? (c'mon, 'fess up: who amongst us
hasn't had at least one Bundy & Coke/JD & Coke/Bacardi & Coke/any of the
preceding but replacing Coke with Pepsi [cf: Jules in "Pulp
Fiction"]/and so on, night of silliness and resulting civil and/or
criminal legal action?)

Or is it some sort of oddly targeted but nevertheless highly successful
marketing campaign?

xxx

Just Tom

Dec 14, 2002, 3:03:51 PM12/14/02
Fred . . . soc.culture.australian is strictly for posting rants blaming
jews, muslims, or George Bush for all the world's problems from nuclear
weapons to tooth decay. You may be able to make your post acceptable by
leading off with "This is another plot by the Jews" or "Moron Bush is
responsible for (insert pet peeve)." I am encouraged that you cross-posted
to every newsgroup in the universe. This shows that you may have the right
stuff to be a regular contributor here.

As far as the cocktails in a can go; I worked in liquor stores for a couple
of years when I was in college 20 years or so ago. If memory serves me,
these didn't sell very well and the typical purchaser was a middle-aged
businessman with a drinking problem who needed something to tide him over
until he got home and could really hit the sauce. Maybe that's changed over
the years. I don't know.

If you're strictly drinking for effect, try Everclear or some other 200
proof grain alcohol if it's legal in your area. This gives great bang for
the buck and has the added benefit of being flavorless. Try the following
recipe: Purple Jesus Punch: a whole lot of grape juice, a whole lot of
other fruit juice, somewhat less Everclear. Mix in a plastic garbage can
(preferably clean). Add ice if desired. Enjoy! This is a great inhibition
eliminator and was very popular during my college days.

"Fred Nieman" <fred_k...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

lea b

Dec 14, 2002, 9:11:57 PM12/14/02

"Fred Nieman" <fred_k...@hotmail.com> wrote in message