Big's HI YU HE HE

David Perry

Mar 18, 1994, 12:44:42 AM3/18/94
Please respond with a roadside attraction stories re; Oregon-am planning a
drive down from Portland to SF and need to visit all of the alligator farms,
balls of twine and trees of mystery.

dav0
| Honi Soir Qui Mal Y Pense--On the other hand ......... |
| I have four fingers and a Thumb--Burma Shave |

Mark Reed

Mar 18, 1994, 9:03:08 PM3/18/94
Drive I-5 between Salem and Eugene at night and watch for the neon
horses!

derek roth larson

Mar 19, 1994, 11:53:58 AM3/19/94
In article <1994Mar19.0...@hpcvca.cv.hp.com> m...@hpcvcba.cv.hp.com (Mark Reed) writes:
> Drive I-5 between Salem and Eugene at night and watch for the neon
> horses!

Are these the same neon horeses that were made at the Bellweather
Gallery (I think that's the name) in Pacific City? Used to sit outside
a barn just before Hwy 101? Mark? You know?
--
* Derek R. Larson -Indiana University- Dept. of History *
* "Kopet, sikhs! Kopet, sikhs! Wake memaloose nika! Nika potlatch *

Mike Lee

Mar 21, 1994, 3:21:37 PM3/21/94
In article <eberts-21...@seberts.uoregon.edu>,
ebe...@donald.uoregon.edu (sonny hays-eberts) wrote:

> see it soon. big's has been sold and will be replaced with - you know it -
> macdonalds.

Say it ain't so -- the HI YU HE HE has been around all my life. Time to go
drown my sorrows at the Tiki Lounge, just down the road.

...Mike Lee, Oregon Quarterly magazine
...mik...@oregon.uoregon.edu
...no i won't give it up

sonny hays-eberts

Mar 21, 1994, 6:13:16 PM3/21/94
In article <mikelee-21...@fp1-chapman-22.uoregon.edu>,
mik...@oregon.uoregon.edu (Mike Lee) wrote:

> In article <eberts-21...@seberts.uoregon.edu>,
> ebe...@donald.uoregon.edu (sonny hays-eberts) wrote:
>
> > see it soon. big's has been sold and will be replaced with - you know it -
> > macdonalds.
>
> Say it ain't so -- the HI YU HE HE has been around all my life. Time to go
> drown my sorrows at the Tiki Lounge, just down the road.

alas, i wish i were lieing. veneta as we know it is changing quickly. over
150 new residences, babb's thriftway is now owned by sentry, a bi-mart is
supposed to move in next to taco time, and bigs is being phased out.

hehe but wait till this summer when all these newbies are surprised by the
country fair....

--
"party people in the house it's a love thang."
-tom tom club

sonny hays-eberts
ebe...@donald.uoregon.edu

sonny hays-eberts

Mar 21, 1994, 12:13:31 PM3/21/94
In article <davidpe...@ccmail.symantec.com>,
davi...@ccmail.symantec.com (David Perry) wrote:

> Please respond with a roadside attraction stories re; Oregon-am planning a
> drive down from Portland to SF and need to visit all of the alligator farms,
> balls of twine and trees of mystery.

see it soon. big's has been sold and will be replaced with - you know it -
macdonalds.

Char Walker

Mar 22, 1994, 10:11:17 AM3/22/94

Depending on when you are going to be making the drive, I recommend
stopping at the Oregon Caves. The Caves tour is particularly
wonderful in the summer heat, the caves are refreshingly cold then.
To get there, take Hwy 199 out of Grass Pants . . . err, Grants
Pass and take a left at Cave Junction.

Char

fairlei...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2018, 5:14:41 PM3/28/18
Oh No! In the 70s my family ate at Big's 2 times a week. Dinner during week and breakfast on weekends. Big's cooking in the kitchen that was a direct view. Way more food than most single beings could devour. Amazing burgers and fries. Platter size breakfast w plate size pancakes. Lots of noise, folks visiting. So sad places like that are fading away. 😢😭

jayb...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2020, 9:00:28 PM2/17/20
I just saw your post: 202O. Yes. I grew up in Veneta! Bigs restaurant a great place. Burgers and fries more than a person could eat but we did anyway.

Gene Conway

Aug 30, 2022, 11:39:10 PM8/30/22
If anyone is interested, Big's name was Ron Ormsby. My first job was working for him cleaning up after closing for about a year while I was in highschool. His brother Rod owned Balboa Drag Strip across from West Lawn Memorial Cemetery on Danebo in Eugene.