Favorite pizza?

Bill

Jan 27, 2001, 10:05:29 PM1/27/01
Let's get away from politics. What's your favorite pizza in your area? My
favorite in the Capital District are Smiths in Voorheesville and Fannie's in
Latham. Would be interested in more Capital district favorites and why not
post the best of your area too?

Retta911

Jan 27, 2001, 10:17:51 PM1/27/01
Our favorite pizza is from New Berlin.
called New York Pizzeria.
It is the best we have had and we are from Long Island and Italian, but hoping
to transplant in Pittsfield soon.
P.S. that also includes pizzas from Bay Ridge

retta

Chris Keating

Jan 27, 2001, 10:54:28 PM1/27/01

Bill wrote:

> Let's get away from politics. What's your favorite pizza in your area?

Bill:

Never tried Fannie's. Smith's was okay. My current, and long-standing favorite
is the Italian Place in Valatie.

Allegra Boverman

Jan 28, 2001, 12:21:45 AM1/28/01
Retta911 <rett...@aol.com> wrote:
: Our favorite pizza is from New Berlin.

i know the one, retta. ;)
I also liked any of the pizza places in Oneonta and Cooperstown.
well done, at all locations.
i'm talking the family-owned places. :)

--
Allegra Boverman all...@cif.rochester.edu
Life is fun. You've got the pictures to prove it. - Pentax

Tom Hand

Jan 28, 2001, 12:31:11 AM1/28/01
"Bill" <bill...@aol.com> wrote in message

Eat-in or take-out:
The Red Front in Troy, or the Purple Pub in Watervliet, or Castelo's in
Schenectady, or the Fountain in Albany, or the Publick House in Malta, or...

It would be a lot easier to list the ones I really don't like - the list
would be much shorter.

Take-out only:
The Inferno in Loudonville (and Troy and Clifton Park), PJ's in Albany, or
the place in Albany where most of the college students receive most of their
sustenance for four years, Sovrano's.

Allegra Boverman

Jan 28, 2001, 12:38:54 AM1/28/01
Allegra Boverman <all...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu> wrote:
: I also liked any of the pizza places in Oneonta and Cooperstown.

: well done, at all locations.
: i'm talking the family-owned places. :)

meant to say first, Ruffino's in Oneonta.
Great people, great pizza.
Great italian food in general.
and great prices.

BJ Carr

Jan 28, 2001, 9:25:24 AM1/28/01

"Bill" <bill...@aol.com> wrote in message

I never had pizza at Fannies but I bet it's good because it is one of the
best Italian restaurants that I have ever been in anyplace.

I think the Fountain in Albany has great pizza, and I agree with you on
Smith's, but there are as many good pizza parlors around these parts as
there are mediocre Chinese take out joints, so it's almost impossible to
pick a favorite.

canan...@my-deja.com

Jan 28, 2001, 9:20:04 AM1/28/01
In article <20010127221751...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,

rett...@aol.com (Retta911) wrote:
> Our favorite pizza is from New Berlin.
> called New York Pizzeria.

In that "neck of the woods" there is also a good place in Earlville
on Rt. 12, but I can't remeber the name. There is also a good place in
downtown Hamilton. I have been to both while visiting friends in
Hamilton.

> It is the best we have had and we are from Long Island and Italian,
but hoping
> to transplant in Pittsfield soon.
> P.S. that also includes pizzas from Bay Ridge
>
> retta

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

canan...@my-deja.com

Jan 28, 2001, 9:18:05 AM1/28/01
In article <20010127220529...@ng-me1.aol.com>,
bill...@aol.com (Bill) wrote:

IMHO the best in Ithaca is Napoli's-just where the long hill of Rt.
79 comes down the hill to the Commons. They also have outstanding
wings, pasta and subs.
Just outside of Ithaca in the little village of Newfield there is a
place called the Covered Bridge Market and they have great pizza, too.
You can stop by and grab a slice ot two and picnic (when the weather
warms up) next to the covered bridge.
Canandaigua had (maybe still has) a Pontillo's Pizza, which was a
great place.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Chuck Pittman

Jan 28, 2001, 10:10:11 AM1/28/01

I like all of the Capital District ones listed by you and the other
posters but a few of the best are missing, like Ralph's in Colonie,
Testo's in Lansingburgh, Villa Valenti in Wynantskill, and for those
craving a wood fired "Greenwich Village style brick oven" pizza 24/7,
Soho on Lark St. in Albany.

Chuck

Edward Hutchison

Jan 28, 2001, 10:36:44 AM1/28/01
My vote for the best pizza in CNY goes to Alki's Acropolis Pizza on Westcott
St. in Syracuse.

I haven't lived in NY for 17 years but every visit "home" means a welcome stop
at Alkis.

Edward Hutchison
Jackson, MS

If Squire Skimp, Kosciusko Pete, or J-D, ring a bell, please see
my Home Page at: http://ehutchison.homestead.com/HP.html

James R. Stromski

Jan 28, 2001, 12:31:07 PM1/28/01

Pontillo's in Batavia.... jrs

Chris Keating

Jan 28, 2001, 1:51:47 PM1/28/01

Tom Hand wrote:

> "It would be a lot easier to list the ones I really don't like - the list
> would be much shorter.

Tom: Are you saying that you don't like the places listed below?

> Take-out only:
> The Inferno in Loudonville (and Troy and Clifton Park), PJ's in Albany, or
> the place in Albany where most of the college students receive most of their
> sustenance for four years, Sovrano's.

Sovrano's is great but I'm told that the take out pies taste different than the
take out slices. Maybe if you let the pie sit around for a few hours and then
re-heated it in the pizza oven...

Anyway, Sovrano's illustrated a key difference in upstate vs. downstate pizza
consumption styles. Did you ever notice how some people (usually from the
Midwest) have apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese on the side? Well, I
noticed that Long Islanders ordered slices with extra mozzarella cheese on the
top. Was this just a fad or is it something they do down there?

G7

Jan 28, 2001, 2:09:10 PM1/28/01
Sovrana's on S. Lake in Albany, the best by far!!!!

Ed

Jan 28, 2001, 3:56:12 PM1/28/01
Cortese pizza in Binghamton, still the best.
"G7" <no-...@no-spam.com> wrote in message

Tom Hand

Jan 28, 2001, 5:03:58 PM1/28/01

.
"Chris Keating" <Ch...@logical.net> wrote in message

> Tom Hand wrote:
>
> > "It would be a lot easier to list the ones I really don't like - the
list
> > would be much shorter.
> >

> Tom: Are you saying that you don't like the places listed below?

No, those are ones that I especially do like. I just stuck that sentence in
a confusing place. The ones I don't much care for are mostly the big chains
like Pizza Hut and Dominos, although I think Papa John's is ok, and I like
their touch of the hot peppers included in each box.

> > Take-out only:
> > The Inferno in Loudonville (and Troy and Clifton Park), PJ's in Albany,
or
> > the place in Albany where most of the college students receive most of
their
> > sustenance for four years, Sovrano's.
>
> Sovrano's is great but I'm told that the take out pies taste different
than the
> take out slices. Maybe if you let the pie sit around for a few hours and
then
> re-heated it in the pizza oven...

I think of Sovrano's more as a landmark, like Marty Burke's South End Tavern
in Troy, than as a restaurant. They are both so strongly a part of local
history and culture it makes little difference what the food really tastes
like.

> Anyway, Sovrano's illustrated a key difference in upstate vs. downstate
pizza
> consumption styles. Did you ever notice how some people (usually from the
> Midwest) have apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese on the side? Well,
> noticed that Long Islanders ordered slices with extra mozzarella cheese on
the
> top. Was this just a fad or is it something they do down there?

I grew up in New England but I like cheese, cheddar or American usually,
with my apple and cherry pie too, especially when the pie is overly sweet as
is often the case in upstate NY. The sourness of the cheese tends to
moderate the sweetness of the pie. But then, cheese goes with almost
anything from spaghetti to eggs to Danishes. On a dare I even had some brie
flavorored ice cream in Manhattan (where else?) last summer. Not my
favorite, but it wasn't as disgusting as it sounds.

Dave Hitt

Jan 28, 2001, 5:52:37 PM1/28/01
Chris Keating <Ch...@logical.net> wrote:

How about Mama's in Clifton park?

Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I had one from there.

----
The Hittman Chronicle shows up in the strangest places
http://www.davehitt.com/jan01/searchme.html

-Dave Hitt hit...@bigfoot.spamblocker.com (Remove "spamblocker" to reply)

Bill

Jan 28, 2001, 10:40:40 PM1/28/01

>I think the Fountain in Albany has great pizza,

I used to frequent The Fountain a lot, back when I lived in Albany, was single,
and ate much more pizza than I do now. I found them to be uneven: outstanding
one time and just passable the next. Have they become more consistent?

"beware of certainty where none exists. Ideological certainty easily
degenerates into insistence upon ignorance." : Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Retta911

Jan 28, 2001, 11:58:19 PM1/28/01

>You can stop by and grab a slice ot two and picnic (when the weather
>warms up) next to the covered bridge.
We also like the pizza place in cooperstown named sal's.
even though it isn't as good as it was a few years ago..
We take a pie down to Otsego Lake and sit in the park by the boat ramp..

Martin Oliver

Jan 29, 2001, 12:07:04 AM1/29/01
In Poughkeepsie, either Benny's 10th Inning or Emiliano Pizza.
However, you can't beat Emiliano's large cheese pie for $5.25 on
Mondays($5.50/Sundays)

I've used mustard on pizza since 1982. Learned of using mustard on pizza
while visiting Copacabana beach in Rio De Janerio. Surprised many since
then, but those who try it, like it. The Brazilian mustard tastes different
than anything in the USA. My favorite mustard is French's classic yellow,
but that's my preference. Try yours. Bet you like it!

BJ Carr

Jan 29, 2001, 4:55:21 AM1/29/01

"Martin Oliver" <mart...@att.net> wrote in message

> In Poughkeepsie, either Benny's 10th Inning or Emiliano Pizza.
> However, you can't beat Emiliano's large cheese pie for $5.25 on
> Mondays($5.50/Sundays)
>
> I've used mustard on pizza since 1982. Learned of using mustard on pizza
> while visiting Copacabana beach in Rio De Janerio. Surprised many since
> then, but those who try it, like it. The Brazilian mustard tastes
different
> than anything in the USA. My favorite mustard is French's classic yellow,
> but that's my preference. Try yours. Bet you like it!

You can buy pizza in Jamaica with mustard cooked into the sauce on it. Must
be a south of the border thing. You can also get jerk pizza there, but
that's only to be expected in a country where most of the food is flavored
with jerk.

BJ Carr

Jan 29, 2001, 5:02:45 AM1/29/01

> >I think the Fountain in Albany has great pizza,
>
> I used to frequent The Fountain a lot, back when I lived in Albany, was
single,
> and ate much more pizza than I do now. I found them to be uneven:
outstanding
> one time and just passable the next. Have they become more consistent?

I have never encountered the inconsistencies you mention. I don't go there
all that frequently but I have been a fountain customer since long before
they moved to their present storefront from the previous one a few doors
away and I have always enjoyed their pizza and their other food. Often,
though, I find myself ordering food after I have sat in the bar for a few
hours and am really starving. If you are hungry enough anything tastes
good. However, it also tastes good to me when I'm not so famished.

canan...@my-deja.com

Jan 29, 2001, 6:47:28 AM1/29/01
In article <20010128235819...@ng-md1.aol.com>,
Ah, sounds like a good thing to add to this coming summer's agenda!
Thanks for the idea..............

BiggHobbit

Jan 29, 2001, 12:38:22 PM1/29/01
I have not lived in Syracuse for 20 years but every year when I come back to
visit I have to get a pizza from Luigi's on Valley Drive about a block north of
173. THe best Pizza I have ever had in Syracuse.

Frank

Jan 29, 2001, 2:48:26 PM1/29/01
Nimas pizza in Palmyra NY!

Allegra Boverman

Jan 29, 2001, 4:50:58 PM1/29/01
Retta911 <rett...@aol.com> wrote:

:>You can stop by and grab a slice ot two and picnic (when the weather

yes, sal's. that is the place i was trying to remember.

however, for yummy sandwiches in cooperstown, you can't beat danny's market.
mmmm mmmm mmmm :)
i sure miss that place. i would go to performances back to back at
glimmerglass opera and in between, eat danny's market sandwiches by the lake.
very pleasant.

Allegra Boverman

Jan 29, 2001, 4:56:52 PM1/29/01
James R. Stromski <jrst...@newstand.syr.edu> wrote:

: Pontillo's in Batavia.... jrs

Pontillo's however, in various spots around Rochester, especially
near college campuses, are notoriously bad.

rftobias

Jan 30, 2001, 9:03:19 AM1/30/01
The absolute BEST Pizza in the State can be gotten at Michaels
http://www.expage.com/michaelspizza Located on Rt. #31 in Bridgeport NY.
Fresh dough home made everyday. Fresh homemade sauce everyday, and prices
that make you think you are steeling it. Oh yeah, and the chicken wing are
even better.

James R. Stromski

Jan 31, 2001, 4:48:29 PM1/31/01
Allegra Boverman (all...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu) wrote:

: James R. Stromski <jrst...@newstand.syr.edu> wrote:

: : Pontillo's in Batavia.... jrs

: Pontillo's however, in various spots around Rochester, especially
: near college campuses, are notoriously bad.

Allegra speaketh the truth! I forgot about that. Placed an order to one in
Rochester while staying at a local Holiday Inn and was very disappointed.
Same thing happened when on a ski trip and staying in Cortland. Very bad!
I have *never* had a bad one from the one in Batavia, however. Maybe it's
because the founders are right in town?

jrs

reekymartin

Jan 31, 2001, 6:33:37 PM1/31/01
reeky usta go to pontillo's batavia in the late 50's early 60's
after sunday night church group meetings....
too great a price to pay for any pizza....

settled for the pizza hut down the road in '87 to '95 when i was
upstate....no comment on quality then or now either place

repressed memory ...feel my pain..

Allegra Boverman

Feb 1, 2001, 11:50:44 AM2/1/01
James R. Stromski <jrst...@newstand.syr.edu> wrote:
: Allegra Boverman (all...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu) wrote:
: : James R. Stromski <jrst...@newstand.syr.edu> wrote:

: : : Pontillo's in Batavia.... jrs

: : Pontillo's however, in various spots around Rochester, especially
: : near college campuses, are notoriously bad.

: Allegra speaketh the truth! I forgot about that. Placed an order to one in
: Rochester while staying at a local Holiday Inn and was very disappointed.
: Same thing happened when on a ski trip and staying in Cortland. Very bad!

**cringe** :)

: I have *never* had a bad one from the one in Batavia, however. Maybe it's

: because the founders are right in town?

really! wow.
that is cool.
too bad they have poor quality control elsewhere.

Julian Thomas

Feb 1, 2001, 1:03:28 PM2/1/01
The best pizza is made at home from scratch.

--
Julian Thomas: jt . epix @ net http://home.epix.net/~jt
remove letter a for email (or switch . and @)

Charles F. Gaumond

Feb 1, 2001, 3:45:28 AM2/1/01
There seemed to be so many unique pizza and sub shops in NYS! I
remember clogging my arteries at Bay and Goodman in Rochester. I miss
the independent shops that sell quality subs and pizza. Here in the
Washington DC area, the quality of stuff like pizza and subs seems to
be much lower.

Now my wife and I make our own pizza at home with low-fat turkey
pepperoni. My wife mixes the dough up in our KitchenAid mixer in
the morning and it's really foamy by the evening. After making our
own, commercial pizza seems really greasy and salty.

BJ Carr

Feb 1, 2001, 5:25:42 PM2/1/01

"Julian Thomas" <ja...@aepiax.net> wrote in message

> The best pizza is made at home from scratch.

Your home maybe, not mine. I can bake a decent loaf of bread but any time
that I've ever attempted pizza crust it has tasted like vulcanized rubber.

And how scratch is your scratch? Do you really start with raw tomatoes and
make your own sauce? Most people don't have that kind of time on their
hands but if you don't do so it's really not "from scratch."

BJ Carr

Feb 1, 2001, 5:30:55 PM2/1/01

"Charles F. Gaumond" <gau...@nrl.navy.mil> wrote in message

>After making our
> own, commercial pizza seems really greasy and salty.

That's why it tastes so good. All the good foods in life are greasy and/or
salty, from ice cream to pretzels. You can have a long, healthy and boring
culinary life, or a short, unhealthy and exciting one.

Chris Keating

Feb 1, 2001, 10:38:21 PM2/1/01

Julian Thomas wrote:

> The best pizza is made at home from scratch.

Unless you have a genuine pizza oven, the results just aren't the same.

Chris Keating

Feb 1, 2001, 10:42:18 PM2/1/01

"Charles F. Gaumond" wrote:

> Now my wife and I make our own pizza at home with low-fat turkey
> pepperoni. My wife mixes the dough up in our KitchenAid mixer in
> the morning and it's really foamy by the evening. After making our
> own, commercial pizza seems really greasy and salty.

"Your body isn't a temple -- it's an amusement park..."

-- Anthony Bourdain

Allegra Boverman

Feb 1, 2001, 11:01:03 PM2/1/01
Julian Thomas <ja...@aepiax.net> wrote:
: The best pizza is made at home from scratch.
:
amen. and it doesn't have to be round if you don't wish. :)

Allegra Boverman

Feb 1, 2001, 11:01:45 PM2/1/01
BJ Carr <BJ_...@excite.com> wrote:

: "Julian Thomas" <ja...@aepiax.net> wrote in message

if you get fresh dough from the supermarket, you can freeze it and use it
whenever you like and it's got the same great homemade taste.

i prefer wegmans dough. :)

canan...@my-deja.com

Feb 2, 2001, 6:45:22 AM2/2/01
In article <3a79210f....@ra.nrl.navy.mil>,

gau...@nrl.navy.mil (Charles F. Gaumond) wrote:
> There seemed to be so many unique pizza and sub shops in NYS! I
> remember clogging my arteries at Bay and Goodman in Rochester.

Bay and Goodman/Proietti's! Often we would pile in someone's car and
head there when I went to college in Rochester! It was out of this
world!

> On 28 Jan 2001 03:05:29 GMT, bill...@aol.com (Bill) wrote:
>
> >Let's get away from politics. What's your favorite pizza in your
area? My
> >favorite in the Capital District are Smiths in Voorheesville and
Fannie's in
> >Latham. Would be interested in more Capital district favorites and
why not
> >post the best of your area too?

James R. Stromski

Feb 2, 2001, 9:27:17 AM2/2/01
BJ Carr (BJ_...@excite.com) wrote:

: "Charles F. Gaumond" <gau...@nrl.navy.mil> wrote in message

There used to be a pizza joint on the SU hill called Zorba's. The slices
were, literally, dripping grease-goo. You almost had to shake them out or
pat them down with a napkin! Tasted great though...

jrs

BJ Carr

Feb 2, 2001, 9:45:28 AM2/2/01
"Allegra Boverman" <all...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message

> Julian Thomas <ja...@aepiax.net> wrote:
> : The best pizza is made at home from scratch.
> :
> amen. and it doesn't have to be round if you don't wish. :)

I disagree. I think rectangular pizzas usually have more mushy spots than
round ones. Someone well versed in geometry could probably explain why, but
I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the ratio of the total area
of the pizza to the length of the perimeter.

Frank

Feb 2, 2001, 7:56:18 PM2/2/01
I like Nima's pizza!!!!!

James R. Stromski <jrst...@newstand.syr.edu> wrote in message

RMcgr55697

Feb 2, 2001, 9:21:51 PM2/2/01
i try to find a 4 brothers pizza inn when i'm in columbia cnty. they make a
good pizza.

Chris Keating

Feb 2, 2001, 11:18:32 PM2/2/01

RMcgr55697 wrote:

> i try to find a 4 brothers pizza inn when i'm in columbia cnty. they make a
> good pizza.

Indeed they do. But there are at least two more in Dutchess County.

Allegra Boverman

Feb 2, 2001, 11:25:33 PM2/2/01
BJ Carr <BJ_...@excite.com> wrote:
: "Allegra Boverman" <all...@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message

i'm talking being creative within the (usually) round pizza stone.
Not talking about sicilian.
if you have made pizza at home, you know it can be poofy and terrific ANY
side you eat it on.

Julian Thomas

Feb 4, 2001, 2:46:19 PM2/4/01
In <wnle6.547$l5.4...@newsfeed1.thebiz.net>, on 02/01/01
at 10:25 PM, "BJ Carr" <BJ_...@excite.com> said:

>And how scratch is your scratch? Do you really start with raw tomatoes
>and make your own sauce? Most people don't have that kind of time on
>their hands but if you don't do so it's really not "from scratch."

Sometimes I use canned (or boxed - Pomi) tomatoes for the sauce, I was
really thinking more about the dough. I've also used raw tomatoes that
were pulped and frozen last summer.

Key to a good crust is a hot oven and a pizza stone (instead of buying one
of the outrageously overpriced ones, find a tile store and get unglazed
quarry tiles - enough to cover the oven shelf).

--
Julian Thomas: jt . epix @ net http://home.epix.net/~jt
remove letter a for email (or switch . and @)
In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!
Boardmember of POSSI.org - Phoenix OS/2 Society, Inc
http://www.possi.org
-- --

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as
they fly overhead. -Request for Comments: 1925 IOOF

Chris Keating

Feb 4, 2001, 10:14:59 PM2/4/01

Julian Thomas wrote:

> Key to a good crust is a hot oven and a pizza stone (instead of buying one
> of the outrageously overpriced ones, find a tile store and get unglazed
> quarry tiles - enough to cover the oven shelf).

Now THAT is an excellent idea! How thick should the tiles be?

Julian Thomas

Feb 5, 2001, 3:27:28 PM2/5/01
In <3A7E1B25...@logical.net>, on 02/05/01
at 03:14 AM, Chris Keating <Ch...@logical.net> said:

>Now THAT is an excellent idea! How thick should the tiles be?

I've only seen them one thickness - about 3/8" give or take. I *think*
(withour a walk out to the kitchen to measure) they are about 6" square.

--
Julian Thomas: jt . epix @ net http://home.epix.net/~jt
remove letter a for email (or switch . and @)
In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!
Boardmember of POSSI.org - Phoenix OS/2 Society, Inc
http://www.possi.org
-- --

We do precision guesswork.

M.Wagner