Do Upstaters root for Yankees?

1 view

Wee Bit Strange

Oct 17, 2003, 1:46:54 AM10/17/03
I was wondering, given the enmity that most Upstate NYers have for
most things associated with NYC: are most of y'all fans of the Red
Sox, Yankees, Mets, or something else altogether?

Thanks in advance.

--Amy

aMAZon

Oct 17, 2003, 6:39:17 AM10/17/03

Wee Bit Strange wrote:

In my household? "Anybody but the Yankees". But this has to do with
the Dodgers moving way back when.

My husband's people are all downstate, and they were diehard Dodgers fans.

I was hoping for the Cubs, myself, but they snatched defeat from the
jaws of victory yet again. They're very good at that.
--
aMAZon
zeszutko at nycap.rr.com
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Rob G.

Oct 17, 2003, 7:17:11 AM10/17/03
"Wee Bit Strange" <wee_bit...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I've met a large number of Yankees fans upstate, including most of my
family. I don't think it has anything to do with upstate vs downstate. If
that were the case, then there would be more Bills and Sabres fans upstate,
but a lot of them still cheer for the Giants or the Jets or the Rangers of
the Islanders.

Personally, I wanted to see Chicago and Boston in the series. At least one
of them would have to break their "curses." Now that it's NY and Florida, I
honestly don't care.

--
Rob

K. D.

Oct 17, 2003, 8:23:03 AM10/17/03

"Wee Bit Strange" <wee_bit...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Personally, as a transplanted former upstater married to a transplanted
former Chicagoan, I have been rooting for the Cubs for years and was very
hopeful they would win this year. Maybe some or all of you are not familiar
with the mystique and loyalty and perennial hope that the Cubs can
engender - a Cubs game at Wrigley is a truly wonderful thing.

I was hoping for a Cubs / Sox series (as was, I think, most of the non-NYC
and non-FL world) and so was shamelessly rooting for the Sox. Even in a
game or contest not involving Chicago, I feel no allegiance to the Yankees.

As to a Cubs / Sox series, oh well, it wasn't meant to be, at least not this
year...

-KD

aMAZon

Oct 17, 2003, 9:52:37 AM10/17/03

K. D. wrote:

OT, but...
Didja ever hear Steve Goodman's "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Lament"?

Rob's point about breaking curses, for at least one team, was interesting.

I was always for the Sox, but it was the White Sox, not the Red Sox.
What do you expect? I'm from the Sout' Side, originally.

rjc

Oct 17, 2003, 2:03:38 PM10/17/03

"Wee Bit Strange" <wee_bit...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

As a resident of the Mid-Hudson Valley, I consider myself an upstate New
Yorker and for the most part, I'm a big Boston sports fan. I like the
Celtics and the Bruins. I don't really follow baseball to much, but I was
rooting for the Red Sox's.

When it comes to football, I'm a die hard Raiders fan and have been ever
since I heard Al Davis say "I don't pay bonuses. I pay bail!" A few years
back, when there was a rumor floating around that the bad boys of football
were thinking of moving to New York, I couldn't have been happier. Alas,
they stayed in Calf.

rjc

Dave Morford

Oct 17, 2003, 3:33:48 PM10/17/03
wee_bit...@yahoo.com (Wee Bit Strange) wrote in message news:<29db2d75.03101...@posting.google.com>...

I'm a Yankee's fan. Comes from my Dad and his father, also lifelong
Yankee's fans. Here around Binghamton, it's about an even split
between the Yakees and Mets, even theough then Mets' double A club is
here in town.

Intersting thing I've noticed about Met's fans. They almost
universally *HATE* the Yankees. Inferiority thing I guess. Most Yankee
fans will casually root for the Mets, (when they're not playing the
Yanks), but most Met fans will root for anybody but the Yankees.

Sarg Bi!ko

Oct 17, 2003, 6:11:37 PM10/17/03
Many upstaters root for the Blue Jays - makes sense due to the proximity and
their Triple A team in Syracuse, and the same goes for Expos fans in the
north country - but then it's easier and quicker to get to Fenway from the
Capitol District than it is to get to NYC.

drop GUN before emailing

Oct 17, 2003, 8:34:04 PM10/17/03
>I was wondering, given the enmity that most Upstate NYers have for
>most things associated with NYC: are most of y'all fans of the Red
>Sox, Yankees, Mets, or something else altogether?

Among my contacts there are Yankee haters and Yankee lovers, as well as those
who always pull for the underdog, about evenly divided.
I personally could care less, i enjoy a good game and apreciate good plays by
whomever. IIMHO much the animosity toward the Yanks is directed at Stienbrenner
and his ability to buy the best at any cost.

Digger, AKA Grumps (old and crusty)
hometown.aol.com/jynndi/myhomepage/profile.html
All errors; spilling, grimatical, ore tieping intenshunal.

Bill

Oct 17, 2003, 10:23:43 PM10/17/03

"Wee Bit Strange" <wee_bit...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I've been a hard core Yankee fan since my earliest baseball memories back
around 1963 or so. They had been good, then they went through a period
(late 60's - early 70's) in which they were terrible. Then they were good
then not quite good enough then awful before embarking upon their recent
string of success.

I grew up in Western Massachusetts the child of transplanted Brooklynites.
My dad gave up on baseball when the Dodgers moved west. But I felt an
allegiance to New York teams so became a Yankee fan even while living in a
sea of Red Sox fans. Upon moving to upstate New York in the early 80's, I
was very pleased that I could now watch many Yankee games and that the local
papers follow the team.

So, via a round about route, I'm a die hard Yankee fan in upstate New York.

And my fan confession: I was afraid to watch last night. I thought the Sox
had the momentum...they had the big pitcher and they would win. I had no
hope, no faith. But as Derek Jeter predicted, the ghosts of Yankee Stadium
came home and turned the game around.

Oh and Yankee Stadium is an amazing place to watch a game, especially with a
large crowd. I still get chills every time I walk through the tunnel to the
seats and see that grass down on the field. Yankee Stadium is a baseball
cathedral. Though I'd love to visit Wrigley some day.

Bill

Oct 17, 2003, 10:26:33 PM10/17/03

"aMAZon" <zeszutk...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
After this past week, I think I do believe in baseball curses.

Bill

Oct 17, 2003, 10:31:21 PM10/17/03

"Sarg Bi!ko" <Sa...@yazoo.com> wrote in message

> Many upstaters root for the Blue Jays - makes sense due to the proximity
and
> their Triple A team in Syracuse, and the same goes for Expos fans in the
> north country - but then it's easier and quicker to get to Fenway from the
> Capitol District than it is to get to NYC.

Actually the trip to NYC and the trip to Boston from the Capital District
are about the same. And the trip to Yankee Stadium is really easy...just go
down the Thruway until it becomes the Deegan and get off at the Stadium.
And in spite of rumors to the contrary, it is quite easy to park around the
Stadium. Traffic cops will simply direct you from the highway to the
nearest parking area. Though it will take a while to get out after the
game.

Better yet, take the train to Manhattan and the Number 4 to Yankee Stadium.

Nick Theodorakis

Oct 18, 2003, 11:41:34 AM10/18/03
On 16 Oct 2003 22:46:54 -0700, wee_bit...@yahoo.com (Wee Bit
Strange) wrote:

>I was wondering, given the enmity that most Upstate NYers have for
>most things associated with NYC: are most of y'all fans of the Red
>Sox, Yankees, Mets, or something else altogether?

I'm a Cards fan, but then I grew up in St. Louis.

Apart from that. I'll root for most NL teams in the WS, except for the
Mets.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_the...@hotmail.com

Sarg Bi!ko

Oct 19, 2003, 12:25:31 AM10/19/03

"Bill" <bill...@msn.com> wrote in message

> "Sarg Bi!ko" <Sa...@yazoo.com> wrote in message
> > Many upstaters root for the Blue Jays - makes sense due to the proximity
> and
> > their Triple A team in Syracuse, and the same goes for Expos fans in the
> > north country - but then it's easier and quicker to get to Fenway from
the
> > Capitol District than it is to get to NYC.
>
> Actually the trip to NYC and the trip to Boston from the Capital District
> are about the same. And the trip to Yankee Stadium is really easy...just
go
> down the Thruway until it becomes the Deegan and get off at the Stadium.

A bullet-proof vest and protective headgear are also suggested - and if you
are a fan of the opposing team keep it a secret at all costs. Earplugs are
also helpful unless you're the type that enjoys filthy language being yelled
at the top of ones voice.

> Better yet, take the train to Manhattan and the Number 4 to Yankee
Stadium.

Only cost about $70 per person - but WTH, most capitol district people are
government employees and money means nothing to them.

Bill

Oct 19, 2003, 2:24:30 PM10/19/03

"Sarg Bi!ko" <Sa...@yazoo.com> wrote in message
Ah good ol' negative Bilko shows up again. I've gone to Yankee Stadium lots
of times, by car and by subway. I have NEVER run into anything remotely
frightening. This past year, I sat with the Bleacher Bums for a game in
April. That was a first time experience. And it was indeed an experience.
But there is a rule with the Bleacher Bums. That is, do everything you can
to rattle the opposing players but do not become profane. They toss people
out of the ballpark who hell profanities. I was there with a group of
upstate colleagues who had never been to Yankee Stadium, and all enjoyed it.

While I agree that it's not smart to wear opposing team hats in the
bleachers, I've seen it all over the place in the rest of the stadium. And
you know what? Most of the fans are respectful, though there are some
drunken idiots as there are in any other stadium in America.

As for the train, I agree that the Amtrak is pricey. But an alternative is
to motor to Poughkeepsie and pick up Metro North there.

Compare the crowds at Fenway Park last week with he crowds at Yankee
Stadium. The Y.S. crowds were much more respectful.

Trudi Marrapodi

Oct 19, 2003, 2:06:21 PM10/19/03
In article <%mokb.6682$Ec1.6...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Sarg Bi!ko" <Sa...@yazoo.com> wrote:

> "Bill" <bill...@msn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Sarg Bi!ko" <Sa...@yazoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Many upstaters root for the Blue Jays - makes sense due to the proximity
> > and
> > > their Triple A team in Syracuse, and the same goes for Expos fans in the
> > > north country - but then it's easier and quicker to get to Fenway from
> the
> > > Capitol District than it is to get to NYC.
> >
> > Actually the trip to NYC and the trip to Boston from the Capital District
> > are about the same. And the trip to Yankee Stadium is really easy...just
> go
> > down the Thruway until it becomes the Deegan and get off at the Stadium.
>
> A bullet-proof vest and protective headgear are also suggested - and if you
> are a fan of the opposing team keep it a secret at all costs. Earplugs are
> also helpful unless you're the type that enjoys filthy language being yelled
> at the top of ones voice.

True. "Baseball cathedral," my eye. I have been to Yankee Stadium, and I
didn't think you were supposed to swear in cathedrals. Nor were you
supposed to take effigies of the other team and simulate having sex with
them right in front of all the children at the game--but I saw that, too.
Nah, to me the only similarity between Yankee Stadium and a cathedral is
that both of them have graveyards.

> > Better yet, take the train to Manhattan and the Number 4 to Yankee
> Stadium.
> >
> Only cost about $70 per person - but WTH, most capitol district people are
> government employees and money means nothing to them.

Hey, watch what you say about government employees being rich. It isn't
the case for all of them, by a long shot.
--
Trudi

Chris Keating

Oct 20, 2003, 2:15:13 PM10/20/03

"Sarg Bi!ko" <Sa...@yazoo.com> wrote in message
You can drive to Poughkeepsie, Wassaic or Beacon (easiest off the Thruway)
and take the Metro North for under $15 a person. It beats driving all the
way to the Bronx. As for the noise level and civility of Yankee fans, you
are grossly uninformed. That goes double for the comment about state
employees. Most of them are industrious and frugal enough to arrange and
charter bus trips with other people in their agencies.

Bill

Oct 20, 2003, 4:20:50 PM10/20/03
tru...@clarityconnect.competent (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote in message news:<trudee-1910...@cci-209150250062.clarityconnect.net>...

About once a year, I take my family down to a game at what I consider
to be the Home Office of Baseball, or the Baseball Cathedral, or the
House that Ruth Built, or, if you prefer, Yankee Stadium. We usually
sit in reserved upper level seats above home plate, way up in the sky.
Views are good from that perspective.

I would not take kids to a night game, since that's when the drunken
idiots come out...as is the case with ballparks in too many other
cities. However, weekend day games are attended largely by families.
Crowds are attentive and emotional, but I've never seen a fight or any
activity unsuitable for kids during an afternoon game.

I was there for David Cone's perfect game in 1999. My then nine year
old was with me. She still gets thrills from the memory of an entire
stadium on their feet as one, cheering or groaning with every pitch
and the release of pent up anxiety when the final pop fly landed in
the third baseman's glove. The noise was amazing. The energy level
was such that all 48,000 people filing slowly out of the stadium were
suddenly best friends. Nothing can top that kind of experience.

When I was 14, I went to my first game at Yankee Stadium. I saw my
hero, Mickey Mantle, in his last year, club two home runs in a losing
effort. I'll never forget that.

I've been to Fenway Park too, and it is a wonderful place to watch a
ball game. I'd love to go to Wrigley Field some day.

But the negativity that surrounds some people's impression of Yankee
Stadium is utterly and completely unwarrented.

drop GUN before emailing

Oct 20, 2003, 4:57:18 PM10/20/03
>From: bill...@msn.com (Bill)
>Date: 10/20/03 4:20 PM Eastern

>But the negativity that surrounds some people's impression of Yankee
>Stadium is utterly and completely unwarrented.

RIGHT ON, This type of negativity usually comes from folks who have NO first
hand knowledge, sadly.

Srgnt Bilko

Oct 20, 2003, 7:47:46 PM10/20/03

"drop GUN before emailing" <jyn...@aol.comGUN> wrote in message

> >From: bill...@msn.com (Bill)
> >Date: 10/20/03 4:20 PM Eastern
>
> >But the negativity that surrounds some people's impression of Yankee
> >Stadium is utterly and completely unwarrented.
>
> RIGHT ON, This type of negativity usually comes from folks who have NO
first
> hand knowledge, sadly.

Well this dude HAS been there - and IS speaking from first hand knowledge.
Actually the crappy attitude has moved up the Hudson and has now infected
the Renegades stadium in Fishkill. If you'd like to experience the
differnce try a game in Baltimore (day or night) or at one of the Triple A
stadiums in Syracuse, Scranton or Pawtucket.

drop GUN before emailing

Oct 20, 2003, 11:09:26 PM10/20/03
>From: "Srgnt Bilko" Sa...@yazoo.com

>Well this dude HAS been there - and IS speaking from first hand knowledge.

You my have noticed i said "USUALLY".

>or at one of the Triple A
>stadiums in Syracuse, Scranton or Pawtucket.

I watch Triple A ball quite often in the beautiful family friendy stadium in
Buffalo, a great place to ENJOY a game....with Great food a PLUS.

Trudi Marrapodi

Oct 20, 2003, 8:20:05 PM10/20/03
In article <272503be.03102...@posting.google.com>,
bill...@msn.com (Bill) wrote:

[snip]

> About once a year, I take my family down to a game at what I consider
> to be the Home Office of Baseball, or the Baseball Cathedral, or the
> House that Ruth Built, or, if you prefer, Yankee Stadium. We usually
> sit in reserved upper level seats above home plate, way up in the sky.
> Views are good from that perspective.
>
> I would not take kids to a night game, since that's when the drunken
> idiots come out...as is the case with ballparks in too many other
> cities. However, weekend day games are attended largely by families.
> Crowds are attentive and emotional, but I've never seen a fight or any
> activity unsuitable for kids during an afternoon game.

Well, listen to me, then, because I went to a Saturday afternoon game to
see the Yankees vs. the Indians, and it was at this Saturday afternoon
game at which I saw the antics I described earlier: fans swearing and
simulating sex with stuffed Indians mascots.

> I was there for David Cone's perfect game in 1999. My then nine year
> old was with me. She still gets thrills from the memory of an entire
> stadium on their feet as one, cheering or groaning with every pitch
> and the release of pent up anxiety when the final pop fly landed in
> the third baseman's glove. The noise was amazing. The energy level
> was such that all 48,000 people filing slowly out of the stadium were
> suddenly best friends. Nothing can top that kind of experience.

Well, I think I can safely say that any large stadium at which some
wonderful sports milestone happens can provide the same kind of
experience. I know I have experienced a few myself, and they weren't at
Yankee Stadium.

> When I was 14, I went to my first game at Yankee Stadium. I saw my
> hero, Mickey Mantle, in his last year, club two home runs in a losing
> effort. I'll never forget that.
>
> I've been to Fenway Park too, and it is a wonderful place to watch a
> ball game. I'd love to go to Wrigley Field some day.
>
> But the negativity that surrounds some people's impression of Yankee
> Stadium is utterly and completely unwarrented.

Not when you've seen what I've seen there. And I saw it on a Saturday
afternoon, when the Yanks were winning.
--
Trudi

Trudi Marrapodi

Oct 20, 2003, 8:21:15 PM10/20/03
In article <Cu_kb.186959$0v4.14...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Srgnt Bilko" <Sa...@yazoo.com> wrote:

Yeah. Sheesh, people. I tell you I was at a Yankees game and saw fans
swearing and simulating sex with effigies of the other team's mascot, and
you imply I don't have firsthand knowledge?
--
Trudi

ChrisPlatt

Oct 21, 2003, 6:51:21 PM10/21/03
Trudi

Lucky for you you can see a B-Mets game anytime you want.

If you'd like to see a MLB game when in NYC,
you are welcome to join the better fans out at Shea...

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-

Bill

Oct 21, 2003, 10:19:35 PM10/21/03

"Trudi Marrapodi" <tru...@clarityconnect.competent> wrote in message
Well, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a few louts. I'm at the
Stadium at least once a year. One experience was bad...a Saturday night
game in the early 90's when idiots kept running out onto the field. Other
than that, all of my experiences have been positive.

Wai Chan

Oct 23, 2003, 2:54:12 AM10/23/03
> I'm a Yankee's fan. Comes from my Dad and his father, also lifelong
> Yankee's fans. Here around Binghamton, it's about an even split
> between the Yakees and Mets, even theough then Mets' double A club is
> here in town.
>
> Intersting thing I've noticed about Met's fans. They almost
> universally *HATE* the Yankees. Inferiority thing I guess. Most Yankee
> fans will casually root for the Mets, (when they're not playing the
> Yanks), but most Met fans will root for anybody but the Yankees.

I also live in the Binghamton region.

In this area, I have to attest that there are far more Yankee fans than Met
fans. I am pretty sure that is due to coverage traditionally available to
this area. When I came to this area about 20 years ago, telecasts of Met
game were literally non-existent -- even on cable TV. As for the fans of
Binghamton Mets, that is just that. They are local loyal team supporters
and nothing more. Many of them don't even associate the B Mets team with NY
Mets. Just like everything else in Binghamton, ppl are very reluctant in
receiving things that are new or different -- unless it's mainstream.

As a former downstater, I can tell you that true fans of Yanks and Mets to
the south of us just do not mix. Yankee fans HATE the Mets just as much as
going the other way. The dividing line is more along the demographics of
where they live (Bronx vs. Queens), ethnicity (at least back 20+ years ago
where the diff between the two teams were more obvious) and loyality vs.
win chaser (regardless of cost). It takes a lot of faith to be a true Met
fan. When the Mets management tried to play the salary game (and fail)
recently, that didn't set well with many diehard fans.

Dave Morford

Oct 23, 2003, 4:24:15 PM10/23/03
br0...@binghamton.edu (Wai Chan) wrote in message news:<31c94f3c.03102...@posting.google.com>...

> > I'm a Yankee's fan. Comes from my Dad and his father, also lifelong
> > Yankee's fans. Here around Binghamton, it's about an even split
> > between the Yakees and Mets, even theough then Mets' double A club is
> > here in town.
> >
> > Intersting thing I've noticed about Met's fans. They almost
> > universally *HATE* the Yankees. Inferiority thing I guess. Most Yankee
> > fans will casually root for the Mets, (when they're not playing the
> > Yanks), but most Met fans will root for anybody but the Yankees.
>
> I also live in the Binghamton region.
>
> In this area, I have to attest that there are far more Yankee fans than Met
> fans. I am pretty sure that is due to coverage traditionally available to
> this area. When I came to this area about 20 years ago, telecasts of Met
> game were literally non-existent -- even on cable TV.

I've been here for most of my life, and I remember being annoyed
because the Mets were on "free" tv (WOR -CH9), while the Yankees were
only on ch11 (WPIX) about half the time, and on pay tv the rest of the
time. I think the Mets were traditionally on tv more than the Yanks.

As for the fans of
> Binghamton Mets, that is just that. They are local loyal team supporters
> and nothing more. Many of them don't even associate the B Mets team with NY
> Mets. Just like everything else in Binghamton, ppl are very reluctant in
> receiving things that are new or different -- unless it's mainstream.

Boy that's for sure. Many of the natives around here are terrified of
change. They still like to think of this place as an EJ town. They
fight even our limited development tooth and nail.

> As a former downstater, I can tell you that true fans of Yanks and Mets to
> the south of us just do not mix. Yankee fans HATE the Mets just as much as
> going the other way.

I lived in Queens and on LI for a few years and I really didn't see it
that way. I still have a lot of family in the New York metro area and
travel there often.

The dividing line is more along the demographics of
> where they live (Bronx vs. Queens), ethnicity (at least back 20+ years ago
> where the diff between the two teams were more obvious) and loyality vs.
> win chaser (regardless of cost). It takes a lot of faith to be a true Met
> fan. When the Mets management tried to play the salary game (and fail)
> recently, that didn't set well with many diehard fans.

Poor management by the Mets. They are a rich team too, they just don't
spend the money the right way. The Yankees had the same problem during
the 1980's and early 1990's.

Wai Chan

Oct 24, 2003, 12:11:05 AM10/24/03
>> I also live in the Binghamton region.
>>
>> In this area, I have to attest that there are far more Yankee fans
>> than Met fans. I am pretty sure that is due to coverage traditionally
>> available to this area. When I came to this area about 20 years ago,
>> telecasts of Met game were literally non-existent -- even on cable
>> TV.
> I've been here for most of my life, and I remember being annoyed
> because the Mets were on "free" tv (WOR -CH9), while the Yankees were
> only on ch11 (WPIX) about half the time, and on pay tv the rest of the
> time. I think the Mets were traditionally on tv more than the Yanks.
Probably so in the recent years since WOR and WPIX were carried on cable
here, but that is not enough to change the tradition. Incidentally, when I
was growing up in NYC (Manhattan) 25 to 30 years ago, all Yankee games were
carried by WPIX (Ch 11). I think around the early 80s was when games of
both teams were contracted to be shared by commercial TV and cable.
SportChannel I think was first to handle some of the non-Ch9 telecasts. I
think there was actually another cable channel involved as well.

> As for the fans of
>> Binghamton Mets, that is just that. They are local loyal team
>> supporters and nothing more. Many of them don't even associate the B
>> Mets team with NY Mets. Just like everything else in Binghamton, ppl
>> are very reluctant in receiving things that are new or different --
>> unless it's mainstream.
> > Boy that's for sure. Many of the natives around here are terrified of
> change. They still like to think of this place as an EJ town. They
> fight even our limited development tooth and nail.
Funny that I was sure you would chew my head off for calling Binghamtonians
backwards.

>> As a former downstater, I can tell you that true fans of Yanks and
>> Mets to the south of us just do not mix. Yankee fans HATE the Mets
>> just as much as going the other way.
> > I lived in Queens and on LI for a few years and I really didn't see it
> that way. I still have a lot of family in the New York metro area and
> travel there often.
Actually, back when I was a NYC baseball fan, Queens and LI are designated
Mets territory.

> The dividing line is more along the demographics of
>> where they live (Bronx vs. Queens), ethnicity (at least back 20+
>> years ago where the diff between the two teams were more obvious) and
>> loyality vs. win chaser (regardless of cost). It takes a lot of faith
>> to be a true Met fan. When the Mets management tried to play the
>> salary game (and fail) recently, that didn't set well with many
>> diehard fans.
> Poor management by the Mets. They are a rich team too, they just don't
> spend the money the right way.
I won't argue with that! At least the Yanks spent the $$$ and got some wins
out of it. With the Mets, they got nothing but criticism. One more reason
for not following professional baseball and the NY Mets.

The Yankees had the same problem during
> the 1980's and early 1990's.

Yeah, I remember some of those years too. But, eventually the investment
paid off. Unfortunately, I think that sends the wrong sign to the fans.
OTOH, with the Mets, they are destined to win only every 10 years of so
regardless of what they spend. After every big winning year, they have a
tendency to fall right back into the gutters and stay there for a long
stretch. IMHO, knowing that "fact", sticking with them is a true sign of
loyalty and patience (or otherwise known as stupidity to some I supposed).

W R Chan from Upstate NY
(to respond, remove ### from email address)

* I have no stinking sig *

Dave Morford

Oct 25, 2003, 11:36:30 PM10/25/03
Wai Chan <br00209@###binghamton.edu> wrote in message news:<Xns941E2F30AB40br...@128.226.1.24>...
<snip>

> > As for the fans of
> >> Binghamton Mets, that is just that. They are local loyal team
> >> supporters and nothing more. Many of them don't even associate the B
> >> Mets team with NY Mets. Just like everything else in Binghamton, ppl
> >> are very reluctant in receiving things that are new or different --
> >> unless it's mainstream.
> > > Boy that's for sure. Many of the natives around here are terrified of
> > change. They still like to think of this place as an EJ town. They
> > fight even our limited development tooth and nail.
> Funny that I was sure you would chew my head off for calling Binghamtonians
> backwards.

Nope. It's the single thing that drives me nuts, more than anything
else, about this town. The natives have a piss poor attitude,
constantly looking back, not forward. Binghamton is a rust belt city
that has huge problems, but I believe has great potential. It's a
beautiful area (although the weather is tough), and Binghamton is
well located to huge markets in the northeast. Problem is, any forward
thinkers get attacked by the old timers that still think we should be
making shoes, mainframe computers, and photographic film.

ChrisPlatt

Oct 26, 2003, 7:43:47 PM10/26/03
Not after last night's game ;-)

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-

Bill

Oct 26, 2003, 9:48:40 PM10/26/03

"ChrisPlatt" <chris...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Not after last night's game ;-)
>
> Excelsior, you fatheads!
> -Chris-

I'm a life long Yankee fan. But the Yankees were beaten by the better team
this week.

Enough said.

Dave Morford

Oct 27, 2003, 3:02:48 PM10/27/03