Review: Maximum Overdrive (1986)

Smirking Asshole

Jan 7, 2023, 12:25:08 PM1/7/23
*Maximum Overdrive* (1986). Directed by Stephen "Poop and Pee" King. Stars Emilio Estevez.

Worse than expected, and I hadn't expected much. I realized several years ago after reading an excerpt from one of his stories which graphically described a man having his testicles devoured by a cat that King is a sick fuck, and his first and (thankfully) only directorial effort amply confirms it. His coprophilia is on full display: a bridge attendant picking his nose, a gas station attendant taking a dump while perusing a copy of *High Society*, our heroes wading through a sewer full of piss and shit... All things I really needed to see.

The movie was rife with facile political subtexts and digs at Christianity. The premise—machines becoming homicidal after the earth passes through the tail of a comet—was asinine, the bottom of the pulp sci-fi barrel. Even the soundtrack by AC/DC was a letdown. The songs, which were mostly the band's previous hits, were terribly overcompressed, hence not enjoyable to listen to, and weren't particularly well timed to reinforce the action on the screen. Not even Emilio Estevez, who was great in *Repo Man* and *The Breakfast Club*, could save this turkey. 5/10