Bladerunner music

1 view

alan dare

Sep 29, 1992, 8:20:27 AM9/29/92

I remember when bladerunner first came out the score and album was
done by Vangelis(sp?). I didn't buy it then and that was a mistake. I have
looked for it in five music shops with no luck. There is a version that
is orchestrated from the Vangelis music, but not one that is by Vangelis.
I had them look in their book but I was told it was not avaiable.
Does anyone have info on this?

Thanks

Alan Dare | Internet : al...@hal.larc.nasa.gov
NASA Langley Research Center |

Shiv Naimpally

Sep 29, 1992, 9:48:26 AM9/29/92
Even though the BR closing credits indicate an OST recording is
available, due to some problems the OST was NEVER released. There
is a recording out by 'The New American Orchestra' in which a group
of musicians attempts to cover much of the BR OST (ost = original
sound track), but IMHO it was pretty pathetic. I have seen it in the
delete bins and in used CD stores.

There is a Vangelis CD called _Themes_ which contains tracks from
many previously unreleased soundtracks such as Bladerunner, Missing,
The Bounty, etc. as well as previously released stuff such as
Chariots of Fire. There are 2 cuts from BR, the closing credits song,
and the main theme song. If you are a fan of Vangelis, this CD is
a must have.

I hope that all the interest in the DC will get whoever has the rights
the BR OST to finally release it in its entirety.

Ron Scharf

Oct 1, 1992, 9:41:09 AM10/1/92
sh...@bnr.ca (Shiv Naimpally) writes:

>Even though the BR closing credits indicate an OST recording is
>available, due to some problems the OST was NEVER released.

It has been released at least in Germany, although I made the same mistake
and didn't buy it, and it isn't available any more in Germany (so I've
been told at my local record store)

>I hope that all the interest in the DC will get whoever has the rights
>the BR OST to finally release it in its entirety.

So do I...

Bye
Ron
sch...@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de

Ned Engelke

Oct 5, 1992, 6:47:00 PM10/5/92
In article <1992Oct1.1...@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>, sch...@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de (Ron Scharf) writes...

>sh...@bnr.ca (Shiv Naimpally) writes:
>
>>Even though the BR closing credits indicate an OST recording is
>>available, due to some problems the OST was NEVER released.
^^^^^
Never is a long time. I bought the OST in Houston, TX about 3 or 4
years ago on CD. As far as I remember it has all of the music as
it occurs during the movie. I have compared the movie and OST several
times and they are the same tunes.

>It has been released at least in Germany, although I made the same mistake
>and didn't buy it, and it isn't available any more in Germany (so I've
>been told at my local record store)
>
>>I hope that all the interest in the DC will get whoever has the rights
>>the BR OST to finally release it in its entirety.
>
>So do I...

Me too :-)

On second thought, who needs to rerelease it. I seem to remember
seeing the BR OST in a bin at a local (Austin, TX) CD store a
month or two ago

>Bye
> Ron
>sch...@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de

Ned
eng...@maximillion.mcc.com

Richard H.S. Kim

Oct 7, 1992, 12:13:43 AM10/7/92
In article <5OCT1992...@maximillion.mcc.com> eng...@maximillion.mcc.com
(Ned Engelke) writes:

...<stuff kicked out>...

| Never is a long time. I bought the OST in Houston, TX about 3 or 4
| years ago on CD. As far as I remember it has all of the music as
| it occurs during the movie. I have compared the movie and OST several
| times and they are the same tunes.
|

| Ned
| eng...@maximillion.mcc.com

Vangelis nixed the Blade Runner Original Sound Track (OST). What happened
was that in order for him to score the music properly, he needed the
clips from the film sent to London. However, Ridley Scott kept sending
too many revised clips, angering Vangelis that he refused to release the OST.
Instead, you got this tinny version from the New American Orchestra.

Under pressure, Vangelis did release 2 (or 3?) songs from BR on his
album "Themes". On it, it plainly says "previously unreleased" for
the end credits and love theme.

Ironically, while Ridley was re-editing BR, he got Vangelis to finish
scoring the movie. And in Ridley Scott's "1492", Vangelis is doing
the music, so I guess they're on better terms this time.

R. Kim
email/internet> rk...@opus.calstatela.edu

Pentti Lajunen

Oct 7, 1992, 6:50:21 AM10/7/92
In article <1992100704...@opus.calstatela.edu> rk...@OPUS.CALSTATELA.EDU ("Richard H.S. Kim") writes:

>Ironically, while Ridley was re-editing BR, he got Vangelis to finish
>scoring the movie. And in Ridley Scott's "1492", Vangelis is doing
>the music, so I guess they're on better terms this time.

Or they're are just tearing the old wounds open again.