Alien2 marine slang issue

gharel

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

My native thong is French and old wandering of mine about Alien 2 is when
the commander briefs its troops on the nature of the mission (the bug hunt),
Hicks raises its arm and fires a insolent question, souding like: "How do
I get out of this chicken-shit outfit!". I this what he says? What does it
mean?

Thanks! (or perhaps "Mercy" in Marine slang...8)

bishopsp

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Well, just to warn you so you don't get flamed, the movie is called ALIENS,
not Alien2, and the marine that asked that question was Hudson(Bill Paxton)
not Hicks(Micheal Biehn). "How do I get out of this chicken shit outfit?"
Is just a joke to express how everyone felt at that moment. These guys are
marines. They're trained to handle any situation, to fight wars for their
countries. They handle state of the art technologically enchanced weaponry,
and they cruise around in top of the line space cruisers. With all of these
things behind them, they're reduced to being..........exterminators? At
least, they think it's something of a lowly job at first. They all believe
this job is beneath them. So, in Hudson's usual smart ass way, he had to
make a comment, that, beneath the surface, had a meaning. The meaning
is,"How do I get a job that's worthy of my badass self?"

St Just

gharel

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

>Well, just to warn you so you don't get flamed, the movie is called ALIENS,
>not Alien2, and the marine that asked that question was Hudson(Bill Paxton)
>not Hicks(Micheal Biehn).

Point taken, Private...

>The meaning
>is,"How do I get a job that's worthy of my badass self?"

Still fail to see where the association with "chicken shit outfit" comes
from

>countries. They handle state of the art technologically enchanced weaponry,
>and they cruise around in top of the line space cruisers.

Recommend you check out the July Popular Science magazine.
There is an article on a new rifle for the U.S Army, the "OICW", destined
for service in 2005.
Surprising similiraties with the rifle used in ALIENS, shoots 5.56mm rounds
AND 20mm HE rounds, 2 guns monted on top of each other, one trigger for
both, plenty of electronics, ... whish I had a scanner. Maybe Alliant
TechSystems has a web site.

gharel

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

>Surprising similiraties with the rifle used in ALIENS, shoots 5.56mm rounds
>AND 20mm HE rounds, 2 guns monted on top of each other, one trigger for
>both, plenty of electronics, ... whish I had a scanner. Maybe Alliant
>TechSystems has a web site.

They do!

http://www.atk.com/Business/Defense/products/Shoulder-fired%20Weapons/oicw.h
tm

Wmvrrvrrmm

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <#6TxXMPk...@upnetnews02.moswest.msn.net>, "gharel"
<gha...@email.msn.com> writes:

> "How do
>I get out of this chicken-shit outfit!". Is this what he says? What does it
>mean?

He doesn't his outfit, he thinks that it's like chicken shit. Anything like
chicken shit or chicken faeces isn't anything to be interested in. If I found
that I was wearing an outfit made from chicken shit, I wouldn't be too
happy.Maybe he's saying that he wants to get out of the marines too as a
reality or as a joke.

Wmvrrvrrmm

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <199806060830...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
wmvrr...@aol.com (Wmvrrvrrmm) writes:

>He doesn't his outfit,

That should read "He doesn't like his outfit"

Hudson

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Wmvrrvrrmm wrote in message
<199806060830...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
><gha...@email.msn.com> writes:
>

>He doesn't his outfit, he thinks that it's like chicken shit. Anything like
>chicken shit or chicken faeces isn't anything to be interested in. If I
found
>that I was wearing an outfit made from chicken shit, I wouldn't be too
>happy.Maybe he's saying that he wants to get out of the marines too as a
>reality or as a joke.

This post is a joke, right? You don't honestly believe that Hudson was
saying
he wanted out of his uniform because it was comparable to chicken shit,
right?
He was saying that the whole mission sounded like bad news and he was
expressing
his low opinion of it.
-=HudsoN=-

Wmvrrvrrmm

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <6lb0ev$lt3$1...@news.junction.net>, "Hudson" <Hud...@cnx.net> writes:

>This post is a joke, right? You don't honestly believe that Hudson was
>saying he wanted out of his uniform because it was comparable to chicken shit,
>right?
>He was saying that the whole mission sounded like bad news and he was
>expressing his low opinion of it.
>-=HudsoN=-

No, it's not a joke. He didn't find it interesting to be in an outfit
comparable to chicken shit. The question was only about the phrase about the
uniform being chickenshit, and I was breaking down the statement.

How would we use the statement generally.

So would you say that Chicken Shit is bad news then, or is chicken shit just
another load of worthless crap.

Wmvrrvrrmm

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <199806060830...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
wmvrr...@aol.com (Wmvrrvrrmm) writes:

>He doesn't his outfit, he thinks that it's like chicken shit. Anything like
>chicken shit or chicken faeces isn't anything to be interested in. If I found
>that I was wearing an outfit made from chicken shit, I wouldn't be too
>happy.

The outfit is also a term for a group of people, such as this group of marines

Felix Hunt

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Wmvrrvrrmm wrote in message
<199806060830...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>He doesn't like his outfit, he thinks that it's like chicken shit.

What? You're kidding, yeah?!
'Outfit' is a slang term referring to his job, or just to his environment in
general. Not his clothes. Then again, maybe he does just think that his
breastplate is too tight (joke! not serious...)

maj...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Wmvrrvrrmm (wmvrr...@aol.com) wrote:

How long ago did you see the movie?

--
Daniel Ovsenik

"I admire it's purity, a survivor. Unclouded by
conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."
-ALIEN (1979)

Wmvrrvrrmm

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <6lc2av$e25$1...@apple.news.easynet.net>, "Felix Hunt"
<fh...@easynet.co.uk> writes:

>What? You're kidding, yeah?!
>'Outfit' is a slang term referring to his job, or just to his environment in
>general. Not his clothes.

In this case, he might be referring to the worn military outfits in general,
or the whole idea of a soldiers outfit and the idea about when your in the
marines and wearing a this outfit.

Wmvrrvrrmm

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <6lc2l1$14p2$1...@news.sas.ab.ca>, maj...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ()
writes:

>How long ago did you see the movie?
>
>--
>Daniel Ovsenik

I just haven't seen the movie in years, but that's not an issue

It's a question of what the person saw when he watched the movie, I don't know
what was going on when he witnessed this reference to a chicken shit outfit,
but if this crept up on the subtitles or in the dubbing or whatever version he
saw, then the question can only be answered on that note, until it can be
stated in any further detail what he witnessed.

There are various translations of the word "Outfit" as we know, when I watched
it all those years ago, I took the word as it came and I had a way to
understand it, and then we have these other ways to look at the word, such as
it could mean a group of people etcetera and it may as well refer to the other
slang meanings

Felix Hunt

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Hudson wrote in message <6lb0ev$lt3$1...@news.junction.net>...

>Wmvrrvrrmm wrote in message
><199806060830...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>He was saying that the whole mission sounded like bad news and he was
>expressing
>his low opinion of it.

Precisely! He doesn't mean just his uniform, he is referring to the whole
situation and his position in particular. Remember that we later find out
that he is only on 'marine duty' for a short while longer, and then he is
free to get out of the 'chicken-shit outfit'.

ZRipley

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

And when Apone says "sucure that shit Hudson"--he is telling Hudson to hold his
poop in until he is done talking.

Wmvrrvrrmm

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <6lc7mg$io4$1...@apple.news.easynet.net>, "Felix Hunt"
<fh...@easynet.co.uk> writes:

>Precisely! He doesn't mean just his uniform, he is referring to the whole
>situation and his position in particular. Remember that we later find out
>that he is only on 'marine duty' for a short while longer, and then he is
>free to get out of the 'chicken-shit outfit'.

Well, I've never come across a reference to Outfit meaning situation.

I've just come across the idea of a uniform and also a group of people making
up an organisation, and these are what I know as an outfit. What do other
people's dictionaries state.

John Bingham

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <199806061714...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
wmvrr...@aol.com (Wmvrrvrrmm) wrote:

> In article <6lb0ev$lt3$1...@news.junction.net>, "Hudson" <Hud...@cnx.net> writes:
>

> >This post is a joke, right? You don't honestly believe that Hudson was
> >saying he wanted out of his uniform because it was comparable to chicken
shit,
> >right?

> >He was saying that the whole mission sounded like bad news and he was
> >expressing his low opinion of it.

> >-=HudsoN=-
>
> No, it's not a joke. He didn't find it interesting to be in an outfit
> comparable to chicken shit. The question was only about the phrase about the
> uniform being chickenshit, and I was breaking down the statement.
>
> How would we use the statement generally.
>
> So would you say that Chicken Shit is bad news then, or is chicken shit just
> another load of worthless crap.

Personally I always thought he was just playing up to his role of squad joker.
He was trying to put across how he thought the entire squad was worthless,
including himself. A sort of buddy-bonding type joke.
I'd go with chicken shit meaning worthless rather than bad news (i.e.
bullshit maaan)
John.....
--
_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
_| john.b...@ucl.ac.uk _| _|

Philth

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <ugZX8RQk9GA.69@upnetnews05>, "gharel" <gha...@email.msn.com> wrote:

>>Well, just to warn you so you don't get flamed, the movie is called ALIENS,
>>not Alien2, and the marine that asked that question was Hudson(Bill Paxton)
>>not Hicks(Micheal Biehn).
>
>Point taken, Private...
>
>>The meaning
>>is,"How do I get a job that's worthy of my badass self?"
>
>Still fail to see where the association with "chicken shit outfit" comes
>from

Cleaning chickenshit is a horrible job. No one feels like they should be doing
it.

Hence, he felt like they shouldnt be there. They didn't even know if there was
anything to fight. They thought it was just some lame mission to find some
lost workers, or fix a radio tower...

Little did they know...

Phil

Felix Hunt

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Wmvrrvrrmm wrote in message
<199806062023...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

I already said in a previous post that I thought 'outfit' meant the
collective 'job' of the marines, and that was what I was inferring by
'situation' - I meant the situation of being in the marines (and about to be
dumped on a planet to face some monster that Ripley just told them about)
Hudson doesn't want to take any risks in his position, and so he tries to
convince himself that he is invincible, the 'ultimate badass' (and he wishes
he was, as he knows that he is only confined to the chicken-shit for a short
time longer - he doesn't want to die, and despite the confidence of the
marines as a whole, he is aware of the possibility that the 'bug hunt', like
the combat drop, might not be an 'easy ride')

I'm glad that you people now recognise that Hudson isn't referring to his
clothes anyway ;-)
________________________
Felix
'Building Better Worlds'

Wmvrrvrrmm

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In article <6ldkg3$199$1...@apple.news.easynet.net>, "Felix Hunt"
<fh...@easynet.co.uk> writes:

>I'm glad that you people now recognise that Hudson isn't referring to his
>clothes anyway ;-)

Well, I guess I'll have to be the sad one left behind with my views about him
feeling that he's stuck in a chickenshit outfit worn some chickenshit outfit
that he's stuck in.

Felix Hunt

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

ZRipley wrote in message
<199806062019...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>And when Apone says "sucure that shit Hudson"--he is telling Hudson to hold
his
>poop in until he is done talking.

That line is one of the funniest in the film! It always makes me crack up.
"Secure that shit, Hudson" = Riotous laughter from Felix

Felix Hunt

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Wmvrrvrrmm wrote in message
<199806071657...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

LOL Nice one

DBaetz

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

CHICKEN SHIT is a negative adjective describing something of relative quality
to the shit of a chicken. OUTFIT meant, as Merriam-Webster would put it, "3 :
a group that works as a team : ORGANIZATION; especially : a military unit".
There. Case closed.
~Dustin~
~http://members.aol.com/cntmonk/afx2.htm~

gharel

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

That's the stuff...

Ghost of Quentin Collins

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

The "Outfit" Hudson was referring to was the MARINE MILITARY OUTFIT or
Group that he was a part of that were standing around listening to the
debriefing of the Alien by Ripley!

Wmvrrvrrmm <wmvrr...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199806061944...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Andrew Newell

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

Wmvrrvrrmm wrote:

> In article <199806060830...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> wmvrr...@aol.com (Wmvrrvrrmm) writes:
>

> >He doesn't his outfit, he thinks that it's like chicken shit.

> Anything like
> >chicken shit or chicken faeces isn't anything to be interested in. If
> I found
> >that I was wearing an outfit made from chicken shit, I wouldn't be
> too
> >happy.
>
> The outfit is also a term for a group of people, such as this group of
> marines
I Agree, Bill Paxton as Hudson says "How do i get out of this chicken
shit outfit" He is saying that he doesn't want to carry on with the
mission. How could anyone think it meant his clothing ???

Felix Hunt

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

Ghost of Quentin Collins wrote in message
<01bd943f$13c6fb60$2f60...@digby.ro.com>...

>The "Outfit" Hudson was referring to was the MARINE MILITARY OUTFIT or
>Group that he was a part of

Voila, mon brave.