Autumn

Greyhawk

Oct 2, 2016, 7:56:33 AM10/2/16
It is always in the fall I find myself drawn to this pleasant valley. Funding for excavations has dried up, but the preserved castle foundation is still in place. Brushing away the fallen leaves reveals the cherry marbled cheescake, just as fresh and tasty as the day it appeared.

Not far from the foundation is a small wooden fortification. I'm not certain when it appeared. Inside, the walls are lined with books, classics each and every one. It brings to mind Morpheaus' Dream Library, effervescent and permanent, timeless.

A short walk to pause beneath the great oak that is the valley's centerpiece. Acorns, years and years of acorns, litter the ground in a carpet of leaf mulch. Walking through it releases a faint scent of clove and cinnamon, oddly enough, the spicy aromas seem more natural than one would expect. Something about this valley remains eternally fresh. True, it appears abandoned, but there is no evidence of decay here. It is as if the ruins are as natural as the hard candy stones, lollipop trees, soft emerald grasses, and perfect blue sky. These buildings did not so much collapse as the ruins themselves grew upward from the soft, chocolaty earth.

A strange place. Memories tickle the back of my mind every time I visit, like glimpses of another life lived long ago and somewhere far away.

Squirrel

May 27, 2017, 8:11:53 AM5/27/17
Something rustles in the leaves. A bushy tail appears and waves around, then rustles erratically through the leaves. "Found it" a small head pops up and kisses the leaf in excitement. Stops and looks at the tattered printed leaf of a small book in a puzzled way. "No, that is not what I was looking for" The head dips and the tail sails around some more. rustlerustlerustle. "Found it!" The head pops up and holds up and kisses a large oak leaf. Again it stops and looks at it in a puzzled way. .... .... .... "no that is not it either" The leaf is casually stashed in the tail, and the head goes down and rustles some more. "Ah" rustles the litter of leaves. The head pops up again and holds up a small acorn. The squirrel kisses the acorn profusely. "I knew you were around here somewhere" Then carefully stashing the acorn safely in its cheek, the squirrel rustles off