Re: Unicomp Model-M a disaster

dogs

Jan 13, 2018, 6:46:31 PM1/13/18
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 09:51:12 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> B00ze wrote:
>
>> I love the Model M keyboard, and have several PS/2 ones. I also have 2
>> Unicomp USB Model M's.

I washed the Model M that came with my IBM Valuepoint, my first computer,
and it never worked right again. Formula 409, or something, overdrenched
it. The keyboard guts are between two steel plates riveted together. So I
bought another Model M, a bit older and even nicer than the first.
Removable key caps that are easy to pop off for cleaning. A heavy, thick,
coiled cord that plugs into a socket on the keyboard. And the plug is
even in a metal shell, not plastic! There were variations in the Model M
over the years.

>> I do not know what they did with their USB controller, but it is
>> horrible.
>> I'm already thinking of getting a Mechanical Keyboard, but haven't
found
>> one that LOOKS like the Model-M (i.e. BIG).
>
> Why not use of of your PS/2 model M keyboards?
> Just get the right USB adapter that can supply the hefty power
> requirement, IME the one that works looks like this
>
> <http://zevv.nl/play/misc/ibm-usb/modelm_usb-001.jpg>

And where does the adapter get the power from?

> I've also heard people having success using a KVM that has PS/2 ports
> with USB ports

I heard about some aggie university installing an access panel on a cow
so they could reach inside to check the digestion process.