CoreDraw X5

John

Aug 10, 2011, 4:26:35 AM8/10/11
Buying a powerful new PC, so time to upgrade to CorelDraw X5 from version 9.
So comments very welcome please.
Question 1. Why on earth would I pay several hundred punds for the full
version when I can get the student version for £70? The official and very
helpful Corel chat line tells me that it is virtually the same version
except I do not get the Corel help desk if I run into trouble. Is that the
only difference that matters?
Question 2. I'm changing to Win 7 when I upgrade my PC, seems the obvious
thing to do. But should I try X5 first on my existing PC that runs on Xp?
Some comments I have read indicate problems.
So is a clean break with the past the right thing to do? i.e. New PC with
huge screen; Win 7; and X5

Many thanks for any helpful answers

John

William Fred

Aug 12, 2011, 1:29:55 AM8/12/11
"John" <yel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in

1. Assuming you meet the eligibity requirements for the academic
pricing, then there is no reason to buy the full edition. If you don't
meet the eligibility requirements, then buying the education version is a
copyright violation. Depending on how you feel about copyright
violations, this also might not be a reason to buy the full edition.

2. There don't seem to be any issues, so if it were me I would just go
for it. However, if you ask this question at cnews.corel.com:coreldrawX5
you might get a more detailed answer.

This isn't really a support newsgroup. It's more where Corel puts the
dead bodies to quietly dessicate.

--
Bill Asher

PeterN

Aug 13, 2011, 8:29:02 AM8/13/11
this is not really a Corel support site. But, you can find a ton of
information from real users at
<http://painterfactory.com/Default.aspx>

HTH

--
Peter

John

Aug 17, 2011, 11:27:50 AM8/17/11
Many thanks for your helpful answers Bill and Peter. I shall go to the
places that you advised

"John" <yel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> [...]

ah

Jan 24, 2013, 7:33:49 PM1/24/13
On 8/12/11 1:29 AM, William Fred wrote:
> "John" <yel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in
>
>> ...comments very welcome please...
>
> [...]
>
> This isn't really a support newsgroup. It's more where Corel puts the
> dead bodies to quietly dessicate.

Quietly?

mheh
--
a "<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCRKzJadpA>" h

PeterM

Jan 25, 2013, 2:44:21 AM1/25/13
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:33:49 -0500, ah <splif...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 8/12/11 1:29 AM, William Fred wrote:
>> "John" <yel...@ntlworld.com> wrote in
>>
>>> ...comments very welcome please...
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> This isn't really a support newsgroup. It's more where Corel puts the
>> dead bodies to quietly dessicate.
>
>Quietly?
>
>mheh

Very quietly these days.

ah

Jan 31, 2013, 6:45:27 PM1/31/13
Considering else-places, this might be construed as a good thing.

PeterM

Jan 31, 2013, 7:15:56 PM1/31/13
It's not the only corner of Usenet that's in decline. Most of the
activity in another ng I participate in has drifted into Facebook.

Jan 31, 2013, 8:07:05 PM1/31/13
I refuse to do facebook. People lay everything out in the open.
Comment on a facebook page and claim elsewhere they have no time to e-mail.

If company owners could block social media from their computers and
block cell phones, productivity would increase by 2 hours per day.

PeterM

Feb 1, 2013, 12:35:07 AM2/1/13

------------8><
>> It's not the only corner of Usenet that's in decline. Most of the
>> activity in another ng I participate in has drifted into Facebook.
>>

>I refuse to do facebook. People lay everything out in the open.
>Comment on a facebook page and claim elsewhere they have no time to e-mail.
>
>If company owners could block social media from their computers and
>block cell phones, productivity would increase by 2 hours per day.

Depends on the nature of the work. At HP we were specifically
permitted to take reasonable time-outs to attend to personal stuff.

If you're wresting to fit solutions into complex computing scenarios,
a bit of time away from the tools can help order your thoughts.

Not true of every working situation, obviously.

Feb 1, 2013, 5:29:48 PM2/1/13
Yes, but some trades don't face such problems. Nor are most people
responsible enough. We clocked one employee with 3 hours a day on the
phone with his family. Company phone and mobile, in and out going calls.

PeterM

Feb 1, 2013, 11:57:28 PM2/1/13
There's a colloquial English expression, "taking the piss", that
covers that.

In genuinely professional working situations there's an ebb and flow
involved, and it usually operates to the advantage of the employer.