Attaching a .cdr file to e-mail

-=Marilyn=-

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

Is it possible to send a .cdr or .wmf file to someone
via e-mail? When I try to send it, I get disconnected.

Whatcha think?

Thanks,
Marilyn

Bob Hill

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96

-=Marilyn=- wrote on Sun, 29 Sep 1996 12:59:55 -0700:

>> Is it possible to send a .cdr or .wmf file to someone via e-mail? <<

Marilyn,
If you want to send .cdr's or .wmf's to E-Mail via the Internet
they have to be UUCODED or some such (a utility type program for making
files into text, then back into files again).
Bob Hill

Mary Gilmour

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

-=Marilyn=- <mno...@nternet.net> wrote:
>Is it possible to send a .cdr or .wmf file to someone
>via e-mail? When I try to send it, I get disconnected.
>
>Whatcha think?
>
>Thanks,
>Marilyn

It is certainly possible, but CDR files are big. If you compress the
file it sends a lot faster and you won't get timed out so often. I use
pkzip which works quite well. Also, the simpler your export format, the
faster it will go. If all elso fails, a faster modem is the only answer.
Mary Gilmour

Chuck Stewart

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

-=Marilyn=- wrote:

> Is it possible to send a .cdr or .wmf file to someone
> via e-mail? When I try to send it, I get disconnected.
>
> Whatcha think?
>
> Thanks,
> Marilyn

Strange! Have you tried other types of files? Have never tried it but
both are vector files which could have something to do with it. If you
would like to try with me, drop me a line email and I will try to
receive and/or send you a file. Glad to help if I can.
--
Chuck Stewart Tucson, AZ
Visit my site at: http://www.flash.net/~azgecko

Harry Green

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

> send a .cdr or .wmf file to someone
> via e-mail?

Certainly possible, but email only guarantees a 7 bit data path, and
graphics files are generally binary. Thus, some form of encoding is
needed (typically UUENCODE or MIME). Also, it's recommended to split
files into multiple parts of not more than 32Kb each.

Systems vary -- if I send you a binary file, the uuencoding and file
splitting would happen automagically, somewhere between my off line
reader and the BBS that I post it on. But other systems expect you to
find a suitable encoder and perform the encoding before you post the
message.

Equally, the person that receives your file may need an external decoder
to be able to understand it.

FTP is easier, as long as you specify "binary" before starting the
transfer. But that requires one or other of you to have their own ftp
site, or access to an ftp site which allows uploads. Most ftp sites that
I've come across are download-only.

Louis Bromberg

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96

In article <52on0j$1e...@useneta1.news.prodigy.com>,

JGS...@prodigy.com (Bob Hill) wrote:
>-=Marilyn=- wrote on Sun, 29 Sep 1996 12:59:55 -0700:
>>
>>> Is it possible to send a .cdr or .wmf file to someone via
e-mail? <<

bid...@mail.saix.net

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

On Tue, 08 Oct 96 12:57:11 GMT,
lb...@icanect.net (Louis Bromberg)
posted a message re: " Re: Attaching a .cdr file to e-mail"

->>-=Marilyn=- wrote on Sun, 29 Sep 1996 12:59:55 -0700:
->>>
->>>> Is it possible to send a .cdr or .wmf file to someone via
->e-mail? <<
->>
->>Marilyn,
->> If you want to send .cdr's or .wmf's to E-Mail via the
->Internet
->>they have to be UUCODED or some such (a utility type program
->for making
->>files into text, then back into files again).

With the proper mail package, all you need do is ATTACH the file to the
e-mail. I use Eudora to send files to a film bureau on a daily basis
.. and it works just fine without any fiddling/encoding on my part.

Cheers

Bob G.

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

It is not really the sender's e-mail package that is the problem. It is
also dependent on the service the person sending from is using, and the
service the person receiving the e-mail is using. Attached files are
encoded by the e-mail system prior to going through the internet. If the
service the person is using to receive the document does not correctly
decode the attached file, then the person is out of luck.

Also, some formats do not seem to like the encoding that e-mail systems
use so can get trashed in the process. For these formats, archiving into
zip format helps.

Encoding a file and placing it into the body of e-mail is still the
safest bet if you are unsure about the service of the person you are
sending to.

Bob G.

Alan Sargent

Oct 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/16/96

bid...@mail.saix.net wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Oct 96 12:57:11 GMT,
>lb...@icanect.net (Louis Bromberg)
>posted a message re: " Re: Attaching a .cdr file to e-mail"
> ->>-=Marilyn=- wrote on Sun, 29 Sep 1996 12:59:55 -0700:
> ->>>
> ->>>> Is it possible to send a .cdr or .wmf file to someone via
> ->e-mail? <<
> ->>
> ->>Marilyn,
> ->> If you want to send .cdr's or .wmf's to E-Mail via the
> ->Internet
> ->>they have to be UUCODED or some such (a utility type program
> ->for making
> ->>files into text, then back into files again).
>

>With the proper mail package, all you need do is ATTACH the file to the
>e-mail. I use Eudora to send files to a film bureau on a daily basis
>.. and it works just fine without any fiddling/encoding on my part.

Which is because Eudora is doing the fiddling/encoding. If you send it
to someone with a less sophisticated mail app, they'll receive a lot
of UU/MIME encoded text, which they have to decode to recreate the
binary.

Marilyn

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

(Thanks to everyone who emailed me about this)
I found the problem may be my server. I use Netscape which sends
the cdr or wmf file via ATTACHMENT but I can't send one larger
than about 8,000 bytes. Zipping the file helps but is not the
answer. However, I can receive larger files.

bid...@mail.saix.net

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996 01:26:24 -0700,
Marilyn <mno...@nternet.net>

posted a message re:
" Re: Attaching a .cdr file to e-mail"

->(Thanks to everyone who emailed me about this)
->I found the problem may be my server. I use Netscape which sends
->the cdr or wmf file via ATTACHMENT but I can't send one larger
->than about 8,000 bytes. Zipping the file helps but is not the
->answer. However, I can receive larger files.

I would bet you'll find the solution under OPTIONS, PREFERENCES,
ATTACHMENTS ... there's a selection for "Lines per message" tucked in there
.. and although I haven't tried it, it looks like it's there to limit the
size of the attachment ....

bid...@mail.saix.net

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 06:57:21 GMT,
sar...@gateway.net.hk (Alan Sargent)

posted a message re: " Re: Attaching a .cdr file to e-mail"

->>With the proper mail package, all you need do is ATTACH the file to the
->>e-mail. I use Eudora to send files to a film bureau on a daily basis
->>.. and it works just fine without any fiddling/encoding on my part.

->Which is because Eudora is doing the fiddling/encoding. If you send it
->to someone with a less sophisticated mail app, they'll receive a lot
->of UU/MIME encoded text, which they have to decode to recreate the
->binary.

I'm aware of that, but considering that the Eudora I'm using is an old
clunker, I would expect most packages to handle what it sends. The
point I was trying to make is that it shouldn't really be neccessary to
fiddle at nuts&bolts level ....

The only reason I keep Eudora around here is that I like the way the menu
handles attaches ..... for e-mail I use Netscape .....

Bob Hill

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

>With the proper mail package, all you need do is ATTACH the file to
>the e-mail. I use Eudora to send files to a film bureau on a
>daily basis ... and it works just fine without any fiddling/encoding
>on my part. <<

Prodigy also now has just put the ability to ATTACH files to it's
incoming/outgoing E-Mail. Works with everything so far!

Bob Hill
JGS...@Prodigy.com

sadiqkh...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2020, 5:41:02 AM7/19/20