Create and resize objects WITHOUT scaling?

Calab

May 12, 2009, 2:22:57 PM5/12/09

In any of the recent versions of CorelDraw, is it possible to:

- Create a new object by specifying dimensions and other properties, or do
all new objects need to be drawn first and then modified? For example, I
want to create a box that is 41mm by 129mm. I end up meticulously dragging a
rectangle and watching the dimensions status bar, hoping my hand won't move
when I release the mouse button. I can drag and resize if needed, but that
adds stretch to the object.

- Can an object be resized WITHOUT scaling? Scaling affects line widths,
etc. I'd like to be able to draw a box, then later make it two inches
longer without any stretch effect.

How can I do this?

Thanks!

daytripper

May 12, 2009, 2:34:55 PM5/12/09
On Tue, 12 May 2009 12:22:57 -0600, "Calab" <mys...@csd.ca> wrote:

>In any of the recent versions of CorelDraw, is it possible to:
>
>- Create a new object by specifying dimensions and other properties, or do
>all new objects need to be drawn first and then modified? For example, I
>want to create a box that is 41mm by 129mm. I end up meticulously dragging a
>rectangle and watching the dimensions status bar, hoping my hand won't move
>when I release the mouse button. I can drag and resize if needed, but that
>adds stretch to the object.

Yikes! If you have your drawing Units set to millimeters, it should take you
all about 10 seconds to drop a random size rectangle down, select it, then use
the x/y Object Size boxes (second pair of x/y boxes from the left margin of
the Property Bar) to set that object to precisely 41mm x 129mm.

>- Can an object be resized WITHOUT scaling? Scaling affects line widths,
>etc. I'd like to be able to draw a box, then later make it two inches
>longer without any stretch effect.

Of course. Select the object, and specify the new/desired size using the same
pair of Property Bar x/y Object Size boxes.

>How can I do this?
>
>Thanks!

You're welcome :-)

Calab

May 12, 2009, 2:58:42 PM5/12/09

"daytripper" <day_t...@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 12 May 2009 12:22:57 -0600, "Calab" <mys...@csd.ca> wrote:
>

>>In any of the recent versions of CorelDraw, is it possible to:
>>
>>- Create a new object by specifying dimensions and other properties, or do
>>all new objects need to be drawn first and then modified? For example, I
>>want to create a box that is 41mm by 129mm. I end up meticulously dragging
>>rectangle and watching the dimensions status bar, hoping my hand won't
>>move
>>when I release the mouse button. I can drag and resize if needed, but that
>>adds stretch to the object.
>
> Yikes! If you have your drawing Units set to millimeters, it should take
> you
> all about 10 seconds to drop a random size rectangle down, select it, then
> use
> the x/y Object Size boxes (second pair of x/y boxes from the left margin
> of
> the Property Bar) to set that object to precisely 41mm x 129mm.

I do that... but that also changes the scale factor.

>>- Can an object be resized WITHOUT scaling? Scaling affects line widths,
>>etc. I'd like to be able to draw a box, then later make it two inches
>>longer without any stretch effect.
>
> Of course. Select the object, and specify the new/desired size using the
> same
> pair of Property Bar x/y Object Size boxes.

As I said before, the new dimensions do go in, but it also affects the scale
factor of the object.

I just tried this on a rectangle now.

daytripper

May 12, 2009, 4:46:26 PM5/12/09

If you are concerned that the line widths change when you resize an object,
can you just resize it first, then apply whatever line width you are trying to
end up with? Or does that cause problems because the line centers remain
consistent while the line width increases, thus the overall size of the object
increases?

Calab

May 12, 2009, 5:26:29 PM5/12/09

> If you are concerned that the line widths change when you resize an
> object,
> can you just resize it first, then apply whatever line width you are
> trying to
> end up with? Or does that cause problems because the line centers remain
> consistent while the line width increases, thus the overall size of the
> object
> increases?

When I create an object that is 10 by 10, then change the width property on
that object to 20, I want the object to be altered as if it were created as
20 by 10, not stretched by 100%.

Line width isn't the only thing altered by stretching.

theoldguy

Feb 19, 2011, 2:48:06 PM2/19/11
"Calab" <mys...@csd.ca> wrote in

> When I create an object that is 10 by 10, then change the
> width property on that object to 20, I want the object to
> be altered as if it were created as 20 by 10, not stretched
> by 100%.
>
> Line width isn't the only thing altered by stretching.

I don't think you're expaining what you Really want. If you
cgange a 10x10 object to 10x20 it-is-gonna-be-Streched! What DO
YOU want??

theoldguy

Feb 19, 2011, 2:58:36 PM2/19/11
"Calab" <mys...@csd.ca> wrote in

> When I create an object that is 10 by 10, then change the
> width property on that object to 20, I want the object to
> be altered as if it were created as 20 by 10, not stretched
> by 100%.
>
> Line width isn't the only thing altered by stretching.

Just What kind of 'Object are you refering to? I think maybe
the problem here is in translating what you're drawing and what
you're saying. That's why you're not getting the answers you
want.
theoldguy_

hana.l...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2013, 6:19:05 PM3/18/13
Dne úterý, 12. května 2009 23:26:29 UTC+2 Calab napsal(a):
I dont know if it helps to you....http://www.engrave.ca/archives/2877

dust...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 12:20:42 PM1/5/17
Hello,

A less efficient fix ( But it still works) Is to simply draw it once, size it to what you want, then redraw a new box over it and delete the old one. Then your scale will be 100% because that was the first size you drew it.

I'm still looking for a better solution.
Good Luck!