Using vinyl cutter (roland stika-7) direct from coreldraw 7?

Tim Wenas

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
hi there people!

I'm probably buying a stika-7 soon, and planning to use it with coreldraw 7.
Don't know much about signwriting; this is just a hobby thing, and to help
make stickers for friends.

Is it possible to control the machine directly from coreldraw? ie; if I have
a vector file I want to cut, can I send it straight to the machine from
there?

Also, I'm trying to use the vector conversion utility that came with
coreldraw to vectorise some logos to cut, but it looks kinda confusing...
what/where is the best on-line instructions on how to do so? Been looking
but haven't found anything good yet.

And finally, is there anywhere where I can download vectorised logos/designs
off the net? I'm looking for car signage; specifically import car logos (eg
HKS, apexi, Greddy etc etc)

Thanks for your attention!

--
Tim Wenas
http://come.to/azm

Ron Leigh

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00
We run 2 Roland work stations here at work a Camm 1 15' sprocket drive and a
Camm1 1210 24" friction feed. (Junked the Ioline 40" we had) Corel does not
have the drivers to run Roland plotters. "Corel Cut" is the bridge needed to
run plotters (Vinyl cutters). :)

duane

Mar 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/14/00
> Also, I'm trying to use the vector conversion utility that came with
> coreldraw to vectorise some logos to cut, but it looks kinda confusing...
> what/where is the best on-line instructions on how to do so? Been looking
> but haven't found anything good yet.

The first time I successfully converted a scanned image to vector format
took me somewhere around 8 to 10 hours of fiddling and messing. BUT, I did
get it to work. Now that I know what I am doing, we do them in 2 to 3
minutes a piece. To get it working, start with very simple plain logos. I
am still using my corel trace utility from corel 3. We do hundreds of
drawings. You may need to make some real simple geometric shapes and start
there. That is what I did untill I fine tuned my settings. Now it works
great. You do need to realize however, it does not necessarily work the way
you would expect. If you are tracing a (line art) picture of a circle (real
simple), you would get an object that contains 2 circles. One bigger circle
that is a black object and a slightly smaller circle that is white. The
difference in the sizes being the thickness of the line of the original. So
you can't manipulate the line very easy.

Good luck,
Duane

Taurus Signcraft

Mar 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/16/00
firstly corel does run roland plotters to cut vinyl...no bridging program
needed, just the roland driver for your particular model plotter available
free from the roland site!
now having said that there is no way to cut straight from corel to a
sticka.......
the sticka plotters are really just toys, never intended to do more than a
few simple things and are driven exclusivly from Dr Sticka software....this
program comes with the plotter when roland sell them.
unless you are geting the sticka given too you i would humbly suggest u look
into geting a second hand cam1...
i have run roland plotters for 10 years and in the past 2 years have been
teaching classes to signmakers on how to use corel for all their signshop
requirements & cutting from corel straight to their plotters is the major
part of these classes.
best of luck in your search

regards
gail

Taurus Signcraft
Po. Box 165
Beresfield 2281
N.S.W AUSTRALIA
ph: 61 2 4966 3377
fax: 61 2 4964 1477

Jim Bruner

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Gail,

You are wrong. You can cut directly from Corel by using the windows driver
for the Stika machine. I have one and It does work. I will agree it
doesn't work as well as my Graphtec JX1060, but it does work.

Taurus Signcraft <tau...@hunterlink.net.au> wrote in message

Mark Coghlan

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Help or advice needed re the stika.

I am thinking of purchasing the stika as a stop gap before buying something
bigger.
We are a small manufacturer of workwear in uk and have been looking for a
cost effective way to add personalised detail to garments - small runs
simple text.
The amount of information we have gleaned form various plotter/cutter
distributors is so conflicting it's untrue
Non Roland distributors obviously slate Roland products and Roland
distributors slate the competition.
To make things worse it seems everyone slates the Stika.
We'll be cutting heat applied, both flocked and non flocked films, basic
text and simple logos.
I know £500 isn't a fortune, but wasting it on something that doesn't do
what we want it to do is crazy.
To date the info I have picked up on this newsgroup is top notch - and being
a complete newbie to computers never mind the net and Ng's, it makes for
refreshing enlightening reading.
Any help or advice gratefully rec'd
Mark Coghlan
www.ciaclothing.co.uk

Tim Wenas

Mar 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/25/00
Mark, I orginally poted the q re: corel & stika, and so far I'm pretty
convinced I can cut direct from corel. I placed an order for my stika (the
small one) last week, I should be getting it in about 3-4 days. I'm only
planning to cut small vinyl for car stickers for my car club, and I figured
the stika7 will do the job. Besides, all the other cutters were a lot bigger
(which is nice) but also a lot more expensive (not so nice). I'm paying $840
australian for it, which i'm hoping is a pretty good price.. for australia
anyway. I've been quoted $960 so I'm happy with my price for now.

Only problem I'm having is trying to figure out hot to use coreldraw, and
vectorising images I've got from the net... i guess a little time is all
that is needed.

Anyway I'll post back to this ng after I've had the stika a few days, and
let you know my thoughts. I'm optimistic right now :)

Mark Coghlan <cog...@nospamministryofsound.net> wrote in message

Jim Purcell

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Tim,

> Only problem I'm having is trying to figure out hot to use coreldraw, and
> vectorising images I've got from the net... i guess a little time is all
> that is needed.

Do you have some URLs for CDR graphics that you'd share?

I have been using Corel graphics for years and there are still some
things I don't know how to do,
like creating shapes by connecting lines and then filling them. They
won't fill. A real pain.

Jim

rainu...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2017, 7:30:08 AM8/22/17
On Saturday, March 25, 2000 at 12:00:00 PM UTC+4, Tim Wenas wrote:
> Mark, I orginally poted the q re: corel & stika, and so far I'm pretty
> convinced I can cut direct from corel. I placed an order for my stika (the
> small one) last week, I should be getting it in about 3-4 days. I'm only
> planning to cut small vinyl for car stickers for my car club, and I figured
> the stika7 will do the job. Besides, all the other cutters were a lot bigger
> (which is nice) but also a lot more expensive (not so nice). I'm paying $840
> australian for it, which i'm hoping is a pretty good price.. for australia
> anyway. I've been quoted $960 so I'm happy with my price for now.
>
> Only problem I'm having is trying to figure out hot to use coreldraw, and
> vectorising images I've got from the net... i guess a little time is all
> that is needed.

Hi Mark,

Can we cut from pdf (vector format) directly?