Removing burnt taste?

Michelle Butler

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
Is there any way to remove burnt tast from a soup that burnt to the bottom of
the pan? its not a strong taste but if theres a way to get rid of it without
trashing the whole pot of soup it would be great. Thanks in advance

Michelle ~ A.K.A. Tigress32

Faith L. McCammon

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
"Michelle Butler" <mbutl...@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
I've always wondered about this, too. I have the most problem w/ potato
soup. W/ four kids there's a lot going on in the household & I've burnt
soup many times while otherwise occupied.

--
Faith

***Whoever said life is like a bowl full of cherries never opened their
front door & stepped out into the real world.***

tss

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
no

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

CathyB

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00

Michelle Butler <mbutl...@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> Is there any way to remove burnt tast from a soup that burnt to the bottom
of
> the pan? its not a strong taste but if theres a way to get rid of it
without
> trashing the whole pot of soup it would be great. Thanks in advance
>
> Michelle ~ A.K.A. Tigress32

Hi Michelle, you can try the old trick of adding sugar or brown sugar in
small increments, tasting after each addition. It works very well if the
bitter taste isn't too strong. It worked for me when I burned 15 gallons of
soup. Saved me alot of extra work and saved the restaurant a few bucks.
CathyB

Ton van der Geest

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00

Try some soda with hot water and leave it for a few hours.
Then clean the pan with water.
Hope it helps.

Marie-Anne.

Michelle Butler heeft geschreven in bericht
<20000122130129...@ng-fj1.aol.com>...

mebe...@nospam.acornmedia.com

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
>Is there any way to remove burnt tast from a soup that burnt to the bottom of
>the pan? its not a strong taste but if theres a way to get rid of it without
>trashing the whole pot of soup it would be great. Thanks in advance
>
>Michelle ~ A.K.A. Tigress32

I'm not sure there's a way to get RID of it, but there are a couple of
things you can do if you do burn your soup (I learned this 'cause I
used to burn my chili frequently).

First, DON'T scrape or scratch at the bottom of the pot--leave that
burned stuff down there. The particles of that floating around in the
soup are where a great deal of the burned taste comes from.

Immediately pour the soup into a clean pot, don't even stir it first,
and don't burn it in this one.

With some things, you'll get lucky--chili actually tastes kind of
groovy with just the slightest burn to it. I've heard that most thick
soups can be salvaged if you catch the burn early, and don't disturb
the burned bits. Thinner soups are quite hard to burn, and I'd think
if you burned a pot of, say, chicken noodle, you could count on it
being a complete goner from the beginning.

BikeBoy
'95 YZF 600
'98 GSXR 600
WERA/CCS #298
Greater DC, USA

Chipper

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
>I've always wondered about this, too. I have the most problem w/ potato
>soup. W/ four kids there's a lot going on in the household & I've burnt
>soup many times while otherwise occupied.
>

>--
>Faith

I always make my potato soup and variations in the crockpot. Add milk
and/or cheese to heat before serving.
You can't burn it! Forgetting about it is the whole point. ;o)
chipper

Faith L. McCammon

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
"Chipper" <chi...@NOSPAMrbdc.com> wrote in message
Ya know, I'm gonna try that! Never occurred to me to make it in the
crockpot. Thanks!

--
Faith

***You know life sucks when your cat walks across the keyboard & writes a
better story than you do.***

t.booth.

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
sorry no way
1 simmer your soup gently
2 seoson your pan by first tipping cold oil into a very hot pan (but be
carefull)
3 stir at the bottom as regularly as you can (at the end is most
important)
Ton van der Geest <tonvand...@hetnet.nl> wrote in message

> Try some soda with hot water and leave it for a few hours.
> Then clean the pan with water.
> Hope it helps.
>
> Marie-Anne.
>
> Michelle Butler heeft geschreven in bericht
> <20000122130129...@ng-fj1.aol.com>...

JUST AN H

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
> sorry no way

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree with you.

One night a couple of months ago, I made a huge pot of kapousta (Ukranian
cabbage & pork soup) for a pot luck at the office the next day. I spent 5
hours over the stove.

Well, just before it finished, I ran down to get the laundry. When I got off
the elevator with my basket of freshly laundered clothes, I took one whiff and
thought, "Oh shit!!"

Bottom line, the soup had scorched. I took one taste and thought, "What the
hell am I going to take to the pot-luck now? It's 11:00, I've ruined the soup
and it's too late to make anything else. Son of a bitch!!!!

Well, I'd spent so much time on it, and there was so much of it (enough for 42
people) that I just couldn't bring myself to throw it out just then. So I put
it in the refrigerator and went to bed.

Just before leaving for the office the next morning, I opened the refrigerator
door and looked angrily at the enormous pot of soup sitting on the top shelf.
I decided to taste it.

Guess what? It was delicious!! The scorched taste that has so infuriated me
the night before had disappeared .... and so I took the soup to the office.

J.