Kamala Harris' Thanksgiving Photo Raises Questions

Leroy N. Soetoro

Nov 25, 2023, 1:42:04 PM11/25/23
https://www.newsweek.com/kamala-harris-thanksgiving-photo-raises-
questions-gas-stove-1846638

A photo shared by the vice president of herself cooking Thanksgiving
dinner with her husband has raised questions from conservatives about the
presence of a gas stove in their kitchen, following claims earlier in the
year that the Biden administration was planning to ban them.

"From our family to yours, happy Thanksgiving," Kamala Harris posted on X,
formerly known as Twitter, on Thursday, along with an image of herself and
Doug Emhoff preparing their holiday meal.

Several people擁ncluding Georgia Republican congressman Mike Collins and
America First activist Laura Loomer用ointed out the presence of a gas
stove in the background. This prompted a number of comments from social
media users, including Libs of Tiktok, riffing on the phrase "rules for
thee but not for me."

Newsweek approached the White House via email for comment on Friday.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_pl7OXW4AAp2ff?format=jpg&name=small

In January, claims that the Biden administration was planning to outlaw
gas stoves謡hich an estimated 40 million American households have羊iled
right-wing figures, and played into the narrative around climate change
policies that the federal government was attempting to limit Americans'
freedom.

The issue stemmed from an interview given to Bloomberg by a Biden-
appointed U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) commissioner,
Richard Trumka Jr., which said "a ban on gas stoves is on the table" amid
concerns about their impact on health.

A study published in December last year in the International Journal of
Environmental Research and Public Health, found 12.7 percent of current
childhood asthma in the U.S. was "attributed to gas stove use, which is
similar to the childhood asthma burden attributed to second-hand smoke
exposure."

"Any option is on the table," Trumka Jr. was quoted as saying. "Products
that can't be made safe can be banned."

While he did not rule out the possibility of banning gas stoves at the
time, he also did not explicitly say a ban was being worked on. Both the
chair of the CPSC and Trumka Jr. later stressed it wasn't looking to ban
them.

"Research indicates that emissions from gas stoves can be hazardous, and
the CPSC is looking for ways to reduce related indoor air quality
hazards," Alexander Hoehn-Saric, the CPSC chair, told Newsweek at the
time. "But to be clear, I am not looking to ban gas stoves and the CPSC
has no proceeding to do so."

"To be clear, CPSC isn't coming for anyone's gas stoves," Trumka said in a
subsequent social media post.

Despite clearly stating that it had no intention of outlawing gas stoves,
this has not stopped conservative commentators using it as a stick to beat
the Biden administration with and claim it's part of a sinister plot to
control Americans' lives.

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

David Hartung

Nov 25, 2023, 2:07:00 PM11/25/23
On 11/25/2023 10:42 AM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> https://www.newsweek.com/kamala-harris-thanksgiving-photo-raises-
> questions-gas-stove-1846638
>
> A photo shared by the vice president of herself cooking Thanksgiving
> dinner with her husband has raised questions from conservatives about the
> presence of a gas stove in their kitchen, following claims earlier in the
> year that the Biden administration was planning to ban them.

This is typical right-wingnut shit-4-braincell fuckwittery. Any move to
eliminate gas stoves is focused *entirely* on new installations. There is *zero*
evidence, and *zero* rational reason to believe, that there will be an order to
*remove* existing gas stoves. Only fucking morons would believe such a thing. Of
course, right-wingnuts in Usenet are *noted* for being fucking morons.

There are two compelling reasons to get rid of gas burning appliances:

1. Global warming

Gas stoves leak methane, even when the stove is not in use

https://www.fastcompany.com/90716674/your-gas-stove-is-leaking-methane-even-when-its-turned-off

In addition, burning the gas increases greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

2. Health effects

Burning gas in the kitchen, even with the range hood on, increases toxic
gases in the house. Gas stove use is linked to childhood asthma cases

https://www.ajmc.com/view/gas-stove-smoke-accounts-for-12-of-childhood-asthma-in-the-us-study-finds

Gas stoves are eventually going to go out of existence. Just shut the fuck up
and adapt.