Rice Krispies and generic brand-rice crispies used to make Rice Krispee Treats

Phisherman

Dec 19, 2007, 5:16:11 PM12/19/07
Can anyone tell the difference between Rice Krispee Treats made with
genuine Kellogg's Rice Krispies and a "value-brand" rice crispies? The
Kelloggs brand is nearly twice the cost. I say there is a significant
difference in taste (and cost). Comments?

Val

Dec 19, 2007, 5:42:47 PM12/19/07

"Phisherman" <no...@nobody.com> wrote in message

There is a difference in cost. I used to make pans of that stuff when the
kids were running around the house with all their friends and still do now
every Easter and press them into rabbit molds. I always used the generic
rice crispie cereal, store brand marshmallows, too. It didn't seem to offend
the delicate pallets of those digging into the gooey treats. In all the
years I've made these not one person, adult or child, spit it out and
screamed. "OH MY GAWD, ~spit, spit~ I AM APPALLED, YOU USED A GENERIC
BRAND!! C'mon, gimme a break. These things aren't exactly gourmet rocket
science. LMAO

If you are convinced it makes a difference in taste I wonder why you are
even bothering to ask. Your mind is already made up, right?

Val

Phisherman

Dec 19, 2007, 6:10:46 PM12/19/07
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:42:47 -0800, "Val" <ya-...@yabetcha.com>
wrote:

Not everyone's taste pallet is the same (is why I ask). I want to
know (and curious) if others notice a taste or texture difference.
Most children usually don't notice subtle taste differences. Out of
being polite, adults may not mention it.

Message has been deleted

Jan :)

Dec 19, 2007, 6:41:06 PM12/19/07

"Gigglz" <Fre...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> nooooooo difference to me!
>
> just slop in the goo, and it all tastes the same :-D

My grandma used to add a bit of Skippy crunchy peanut butter to the recipe.
The salt in the peanut butter helped to lessen the overly sweet. Yumm!!

Jan :)

>Giggz

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jan :)

Dec 19, 2007, 8:54:16 PM12/19/07

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:41:06 GMT, Jan :) wrote:
>
>> My grandma used to add a bit of Skippy crunchy peanut butter to the
>> recipe.
>> The salt in the peanut butter helped to lessen the overly sweet. Yumm!!
>
> To my last batch I made week, I added melted Kraft caramels
> (6oz) and topped it with melted El Rey white chocolate.
>
> Anything else are, well... peasant food anymore ;-)

Top it off with some fine chopped Macadamia nuts and a dusting of shredded
dark chocloate. The peasants will revolt! :-)

Jan :)

Jan :)

Dec 19, 2007, 8:56:09 PM12/19/07

> yummmmmm indeed!
> what a great idea, and i love peanut butter!

Another thing I do is add a bit of carmelized or burnt brown sugar to the
peanut butter mix. Oh it is just divine!

Jan :)

> thanx,
>
> giggz

Mike Simmons

Dec 19, 2007, 11:00:12 PM12/19/07

"Jan :)" <ab...@localhost.com> wrote in message

Yup! I can tell the difference. The Rice Krispies taste fresher than the
generics and they are Kripsier. Also, try throwing in some Toll House
morsels... or if you are a REAL chocoholic, use Cocoa Krispies and the Toll
House morsels.... Yummmm!!

Mike

Jan :)

Dec 20, 2007, 7:13:10 AM12/20/07

"Mike Simmons" <mik...@yhti.net> wrote in message

I have tried the Cocoa Krispies with the peanut butter morsels. Yumm!

Jan :)

> Mike

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mrs Bonk

Dec 20, 2007, 12:45:04 PM12/20/07
I have no idea what Toll House morsels are however I am 100% with you on the
fresher taste and crunchy texture of Kelloggs Rice Crispies compared to the
generics. I also believe a good tasting chocolate makes a lot of difference.
I sometimes use Cocoa Pops to make the crispies which I am guessing is the
equivalent of your "Cocoa Krispies"
My favourite would still be Kelloggs Corn Flakes in chocolate. I tend to use
plain chocolate for my crispies though for eating from a bar, I prefer milk,
preferably Cadbury's.

Mike Simmons

Dec 20, 2007, 5:40:54 PM12/20/07

"Mrs Bonk" <ar...@nospamcutey.com> wrote in message

Hmmmm... maybe they don't call 'em toll house morsels across the pond. They
are made by Nestle' and are semi sweet chocolate drops approximately 1/4" in
diameter at the base tapering up to a pointy tip. Really, any semi-sweet
dark chocolate will do, it's just that they are conveniently sized for Rice
Krispy treats and chocolate chip cookies. Hmmmm... if you don't have toll
house morsels, what do you use to make chocolate chip cookies?

Mike

Mrs Bonk

Dec 20, 2007, 6:04:18 PM12/20/07

We use chocolate chips :)
In my part of the country some call them polka dots. I believe our "plain"
chocolate is your semi sweet but don't quote me on that.

Mike Simmons

Dec 20, 2007, 10:14:13 PM12/20/07

"Mrs Bonk" <ar...@nospamcutey.com> wrote in message

Our "plain" chocolate is milk choclate and IMHO chocolate chip cookies
aren't near as good as with the semi-sweet morsels, but everyone has
different tatstes.

Mike

Jan :)

Dec 21, 2007, 9:15:13 PM12/21/07

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:56:09 GMT, "Jan :\)" <ab...@localhost.com>

> wrote:
>

>>"Gigglz" <Fre...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> yummmmmm indeed!
>>> what a great idea, and i love peanut butter!
>>
>>Another thing I do is add a bit of carmelized or burnt brown sugar to the
>>peanut butter mix. Oh it is just divine!
>>
>>Jan :)
>

> ooooooooooooooo, I'm likin' that idea, too. Gonna try it :-P

Let us know how it turns out. Inquiring minds, and all that...:-)

Jan :)

> Gigglz

Chef

Dec 24, 2007, 9:53:11 AM12/24/07

I've made from both, and no- I found NO difference in the taste,
texture, or quality.
You're only paying for the brand name.
Just my opinion, of course... off me soapbox now! :o)

Chef A

Rick Hackett

Dec 28, 2007, 9:45:37 PM12/28/07

>>===============

We add a couple tablespoons of instant Cappuccino (sp?) mix to ours.

Message has been deleted

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 30, 2007, 6:04:31 PM12/30/07
In article <vn5jm3pcl91ddfkcm...@4ax.com>,
Phisherman <no...@nobody.com> wrote:

If you prefer them made with Kellogg's Rice Krispies, then use those in
the recipe. If cost is a serious issue (or even a minor one, I
suppose), then you, and only you, have to decide if the extra cost is
worth the taste difference you perceive. Advertising costs are a huge
factor in determining production and shelf price.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to

Lindsay Halley

Feb 19, 2022, 4:48:25 PM2/19/22
I dot know that its out of being polite that they don't mention a difference in taste...... Im sure people don't even considered whether or not the generic brand was used vs the name brand....s with any other dish or treat that's homemade that is given to someone, I'm sure any taste difference than what they are used to is chalked up to a different recipe used or different measurements of ingredients, definitely not brand of ingredients. I guarantee people aren't tasting them and thinking "oh my god Karen, can you believe marsha used generic cereal in these rice krispie treats?? I cant believe she told us these were Rice Krispie Treats because this is definitely the Aldi Crisped Rice cereal, she should have called them Crisped Rice treats". All jokes aside, Im willing to bet that 99% of people wouldn't even think about the brand of the ingredients used, unless they were obsessed with Rice Krispie Treats