QUIET drip coffee maker. Anyone know of one?

Steve Calvin

Dec 9, 2009, 7:42:19 PM12/9/09
I've had it with our automatic drip coffeemakers burbling, gurgling,
puffing, and basically just making a hell of a racket.

At 5:00a.m. that's the last thing I want to hear when the alarm's going
off in 30 minutes.

Anyone know of a QUIET programmable auto drip coffee maker?

Gawd - I hope so.

--
Steve

Message has been deleted

Steve Calvin

Dec 9, 2009, 8:08:25 PM12/9/09
Sqwertz wrote:
> First hit on google for "quit drip coffee maker".
>
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/24040-kitchenaid-coffee-maker.aspx
>
> "Quiet Finish brewing reduces noisy hissing and gurgling throughout
> brewing cycle"
>
> -sw

Yeah, I'm very familiar with how to google.... I want to hear from
people who actually HAVE one that's quiet....

I'm not saying that you were, but if you were: the next time you want
to just try to cutely tell someone to google, try: http://lmgtfy.com/

--
Steve

Dec 9, 2009, 8:57:58 PM12/9/09

The problem with recommending a particular model is that coffee maker
models, like computers and cell phones, seem to only be on the market for a
short time before the next model comes out. That said, our 3yo Mr. Coffee,
model DRX20, is silent at the end of it's cycle. I believe it came from
Kohl's.

Can I infer from your complaint your bedroom, like ours, adjoins the
kitchen, and that simply closing the door presents other problems?

Message has been deleted

Steve Calvin

Dec 9, 2009, 9:23:03 PM12/9/09
Trust me K, I understand models change, etd but someone out there MUST
know of a machine that's quiet??

I just am looking for a quiet cup of coffee...

Yes, our kitchen is very close to the master bedroom. The cat (who
actually owns the property) will no stand for closing the doors.

I also know all about models disappearing. I just want some reports
on models that work.

I don't need advice on how to google or.... just please models that work.

<note: if you have no models that you can recommend that are VERY quiet,
PLEASE, do NOT bother to reply!>

--
Steve

Jerry Avins

Dec 9, 2009, 9:30:06 PM12/9/09

Try http://users.erols.com/jyavins/google.gif. I'd acknowledge where it
came from if I knew.

Jerry
�����������������������������������������������������������������������

Dora

Dec 9, 2009, 9:32:07 PM12/9/09

Does it have to be auto? I love my French press.
Boil the water, pour into the press, wait 3 or 4 minutes. Couldn't be
any quieter.
Merry Christmas, Steve, if I don't get another chance to say it.

Dora

Steve Calvin

Dec 9, 2009, 9:38:07 PM12/9/09

Thanks Dora. Yeah, it kinda does. I leave the house at 5:30am and at
that time of the morning I can't be muckin' around with the French press.

--
Steve

Jerry Avins

Dec 9, 2009, 9:43:47 PM12/9/09

I use a top-of-cup #2 Melita filter and grind the beans while the watter
boils. Overall, as fast as instant (about which, enough said).

Jerry Avins

Dec 9, 2009, 9:51:19 PM12/9/09

Remember Silex coffee makers? One electric model was available that shut
off after a fixed time so that the water would come down on its own. A
friend used a 24-hour appliance timer to turn on a power strip that gad
the Silex and a toaster plugged into it. He would wash two eggs and put
them in with the coffee grounds, and put bread in the toaster and push
that down. Come morning, the water would boil and rise, staying up long
enough to cook the eggs. The toaster had cooled by the time everything
else was ready, but he put up with that.

I was smarter. I got married.

Gary

Dec 10, 2009, 10:45:12 AM12/10/09
Steve Calvin wrote:

> Yeah, I'm very familiar with how to google.... I want to hear from
> people who actually HAVE one that's quiet....

I often do the same thing when asking about recipes. I can Google them but
it's nice to hear from someone who has a tried and true recipe.

Gary

Dec 10, 2009, 11:05:18 AM12/10/09
Steve Calvin wrote:

> Dora wrote:
> > Does it have to be auto? I love my French press.
> > Boil the water, pour into the press, wait 3 or 4 minutes. Couldn't be
> > any quieter.

> Thanks Dora. I leave the house at 5:30am and at that time of the morning

> I can't be muckin' around with the French press.

Good luck on your quest, Steve. I have to agree with Dora. I quit using my
drip machine (even though the early morning sounds didn't bother me...it was
the smell of fresh coffee I loved while still in bed). So I use a French
Press now when making real coffee. It's not that much work dude.....you can
put the coffee in the night before then all you have to do is boil some
water WHILE you are getting ready for work.

Or you can make "instant" but you'll still have to boil water so why not go
with the real McCoy?

Still not fast enough? Just stop by a 7-11 on the way to work like so many
and buy a good cup of coffee.

Here's a thought for you....since the sound of the coffee maker gurgling
wakes you up, why not use THAT as your alarm clock? You'll have a 10-minute
warning that it's time to get up plus when the smell hits you, you'll want
to get up.

PickyJaz

Dec 10, 2009, 11:08:51 AM12/10/09
On Dec 9, 6:23 pm, Steve Calvin <calv...@optonline.net> wrote:
> <note: if you have no models that you can recommend that are VERY quiet,
> PLEASE, do NOT bother to reply!>
Steve, perhaps you may consider one of the (rather expensive, in my
opinion) auto brew coffee makers that only activate for one-cup cycles
so as to have no noise at all until you are up and somewhat awake? My
daughter got hers for Christmas last year and continues to love it.
She is the only coffee drinker at home, and loves having fresh brewed
for each of her 4-6 cups throughout the day. When others may come
about that care for coffee, brewing single cups one after another
seemed rather quick to me as well. The "station" her husband bought
her (Kurig brand?) came with a counter space hogging tree-like stand
of various flavored single cup tubs of grounds, but she has used
nothing but measures from large containers of her favorite Folger's
Classic for each brew for the past 11 months or so.

I am also a fresh or forget it coffee drinker, merely two cups per
day. I liked her single cup maker, but kitchen counter space in my
"one butt" kitchen is premium, so I bought myself a Cuisinart single
cup maker I do enjoy.
...Picky

Chemo the Clown

Dec 10, 2009, 11:57:23 AM12/10/09

ummmmmmm............instant coffee????

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Dec 10, 2009, 12:42:24 PM12/10/09

I always wanted one of those British contraptions that automatically
make coffee and toast, but even then you still have to manually butter
the toast:(

Maybe i should market microwave toast:)

Pre toasted and buttered bread that can be set in the microwave and
synchronized with the timed coffeepot?

Oh well....after breaking my 19th French press i went shopping for a
"Percolator" and just happened to find a "used" (but like new) Revere
ware Percolator for $10.00.

My schedule is such that i can take the extra 10 minutes in the morning
to manually brew a pot o coffee and make fresh toast.

Though i would be the first to admit a boiled egg is a hassle for me:)
Fortunately, often as not i wake up to them already cooking:)

Now that i have put the espresso maker away i often wake up to a pot of
coffee. But that's just an "elderly relative" who is not intimidated by
a percolator the way she was by the espresso maker.

Funny story?

When she first moved in with me she would bring me coffee and toast and
a boiled egg in the morning, when she heard me stirring about, and bring
it to me while i was still in bed. Breakfast in bed, it was really nice
for a couple of weeks.

Then i realized it was acting like a narcotic on me.

I have to get up and dressed before i dare eat or food, breakfast, just
knocks me out, especially hot food eaten in bed, i just nod off replete
and sated, not yet fully awake i become "comfortably numb."

Fortunately i was self employed at the time but even then, i had to ask
her to stop bringing me toast and coffee while i was still in bed.
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky/files/sf_anthem.mp3

Steve Calvin

Dec 10, 2009, 2:54:35 PM12/10/09
Gary wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Dora wrote:
>>> Does it have to be auto? I love my French press.
>>> Boil the water, pour into the press, wait 3 or 4 minutes. Couldn't be
>>> any quieter.
>
>> Thanks Dora. I leave the house at 5:30am and at that time of the morning
>> I can't be muckin' around with the French press.
>
> Good luck on your quest, Steve. I have to agree with Dora. I quit using my
> drip machine (even though the early morning sounds didn't bother me...it was
> the smell of fresh coffee I loved while still in bed). So I use a French
> Press now when making real coffee. It's not that much work dude.....you can
> put the coffee in the night before then all you have to do is boil some
> water WHILE you are getting ready for work.
>
> Or you can make "instant" but you'll still have to boil water so why not go
> with the real McCoy?
<snip>

Well DUH... thanks to both you and Dora. Sounds like a great solution.
Get up, put some water in the teapot - go hit the shower - use a french
press when I get out of the shower!

GREAT solution! Thanks !!

--
Steve

Steve Calvin

Dec 10, 2009, 2:57:13 PM12/10/09
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:
<snip>

> and sated, not yet fully awake i become "comfortably numb."
>
> Fortunately i was self employed at the time but even then, i had to ask
> her to stop bringing me toast and coffee while i was still in bed.

lol

Thanks to all of the folks with honest suggestions. I think I'm going
with Dora and Gary's suggestions.

--
Steve

Jerry Avins

Dec 10, 2009, 11:00:26 PM12/10/09

I guess I'm a PUREist when it comes to coffee. A French press leaces a
lot more sludge than a paper filter. No there's an idea: an Avind press.
It uses a plunger and a paper filter. Hmmm...

Jerry Avins

Dec 10, 2009, 11:03:03 PM12/10/09

Oh. Lordy! How COULD you?

Gary

Dec 11, 2009, 7:22:54 AM12/11/09
Jerry Avins wrote:

> I guess I'm a PUREist when it comes to coffee. A French press leaches a
> lot more sludge than a paper filter. Now there's an idea: an Avind press.

> It uses a plunger and a paper filter. Hmmm...

LOL! Let me know when you market it, Jerry. I'm interested. ;)

You're right about the french press and the "sludge," but most sinks to the
bottom of your cup and I just don't drink the very last sip. Meanwhile, it
brews a mean cup of coffee.

An old fashioned percolator does a great job too. It makes a bit of noise
but not as much as a drip machine.

Gary

Dec 11, 2009, 7:29:24 AM12/11/09
Steve Calvin wrote:

> Thanks to all of the folks with honest suggestions. I think I'm going
> with Dora and Gary's suggestions.

I think we just won, Dora! :)

Steve Calvin

Dec 11, 2009, 7:57:05 AM12/11/09

Does that mean I have to come up with a prize? You'd have to come to NY
to collect it. Oh wait, I think Gary is already here? ;-)

--
Steve

Gary

Dec 11, 2009, 8:09:35 AM12/11/09

Send us each $5. heheheh And, no...I don't live in NY...I'm a Cheasapeake
kid just like Dora.

Steve Calvin

Dec 11, 2009, 9:59:07 AM12/11/09

The check's in the mail ;-) ok - I had you confused with another Gary
who's in the Albany area.

--
Steve

Dora

Dec 11, 2009, 11:34:12 AM12/11/09

Yes, but did you remember to put the stamps on them? And will the
checks bounce? Enquiring minds want to know.

Steve Calvin

Dec 11, 2009, 2:05:46 PM12/11/09
Dora wrote:

> Yes, but did you remember to put the stamps on them? And will the
> checks bounce? Enquiring minds want to know.

oh well... now you're putting all kinds of conditions on things.... sure
sure.... ;-)

--
Steve

Wayne Boatwright

Dec 16, 2009, 11:54:32 PM12/16/09
On Wed 09 Dec 2009 05:42:19p, Steve Calvin told us...

> I've had it with our automatic drip coffeemakers burbling, gurgling,
> puffing, and basically just making a hell of a racket.
>
> At 5:00a.m. that's the last thing I want to hear when the alarm's going
> off in 30 minutes.
>
> Anyone know of a QUIET programmable auto drip coffee maker?
>
> Gawd - I hope so.

Is your coffee maker in the bedroom, Steve, or your bed in the kitchen?

Our drip machine burbles a bit at the very end of the cycle, but I sure
can't hear it from the bedroom.

Wayne Boatwright

Steve Calvin

Dec 17, 2009, 6:57:49 PM12/17/09
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 09 Dec 2009 05:42:19p, Steve Calvin told us...
>
>> I've had it with our automatic drip coffeemakers burbling, gurgling,
>> puffing, and basically just making a hell of a racket.
>>
>> At 5:00a.m. that's the last thing I want to hear when the alarm's going
>> off in 30 minutes.
>>
>> Anyone know of a QUIET programmable auto drip coffee maker?
>>
>> Gawd - I hope so.
>>

> Is your coffee maker in the bedroom, Steve, or your bed in the kitchen?
>
> Our drip machine burbles a bit at the very end of the cycle, but I sure
> can't hear it from the bedroom.

Well, it's about 15 feet from our bedroom and I ain't buyin' a bigger
house....

Actually, I know how to make a totally silent drip coffeemaker. I've
been pondering on it since my initial post and figured it out. Now I
just need to figure out who to pitch it to and how to get an appt.

It's so easy no one would believe it.

--
Steve

Wayne Boatwright

Dec 20, 2009, 10:49:56 PM12/20/09
On Thu 17 Dec 2009 04:57:49p, Steve Calvin told us...

I don't really know of any coffee maker that is totally silent, although
some are definitely noisier than others. People living in close quarters
such as effiiency or studio apartments or very small houses would probably
love your idea.

Personally, I sleep so soundly, however, that the average coffee maker
would probably never become an issue for me.

Steve Calvin

Dec 21, 2009, 7:02:38 PM12/21/09

I have letters out to coffee pot makers. I doubt if any with take them
serious even though for a few bucks I'll practically guarantee virtually
silent operation.

--
Steve

Wayne Boatwright

Dec 21, 2009, 9:17:25 PM12/21/09
On Mon 21 Dec 2009 05:02:38p, Steve Calvin told us...

Good luck!

Stormmmee

Jan 6, 2010, 6:51:51 AM1/6/10
try running a few pots of vinigar through the current one and see if that
quiets it down, or buy a bunn with the water resevior so you can take three
minutes for it to make when you get up, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Steve Calvin" <cal...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> I've had it with our automatic drip coffeemakers burbling, gurgling,
> puffing, and basically just making a hell of a racket.
>
> At 5:00a.m. that's the last thing I want to hear when the alarm's going
> off in 30 minutes.
>
> Anyone know of a QUIET programmable auto drip coffee maker?
>
> Gawd - I hope so.
>

> --
> Steve

Stormmmee

Jan 6, 2010, 7:00:47 AM1/6/10
part of the reason i read here and ask for recipes here is that i want a
recipe someone i can converse with about my results, reading from a recipe
is fine, but i want to be able to discuss my results afterwords, Lee

--
Have a great day

"Gary" <g.ma...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

gth...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2017, 8:18:09 AM8/30/17
On Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 9:23:03 PM UTC-5, Steve Calvin wrote:
> K wrote:
> > Steve Calvin wrote:

> >> Yeah, I'm very familiar with how to google.... I want to hear from
> >> people who actually HAVE one that's quiet....
> >>
> >> I'm not saying that you were, but if you were: the next time you want
> >> to just try to cutely tell someone to google, try: http://lmgtfy.com/
> >
> > The problem with recommending a particular model is that coffee maker
> > models, like computers and cell phones, seem to only be on the market for a
> > short time before the next model comes out. That said, our 3yo Mr. Coffee,
> > model DRX20, is silent at the end of it's cycle. I believe it came from
> > Kohl's.
> >
> > Can I infer from your complaint your bedroom, like ours, adjoins the
> > kitchen, and that simply closing the door presents other problems?
> >

> Trust me K, I understand models change, etd but someone out there MUST
> know of a machine that's quiet??
>
> I just am looking for a quiet cup of coffee...
>
> Yes, our kitchen is very close to the master bedroom. The cat (who
> actually owns the property) will no stand for closing the doors.
>
> I also know all about models disappearing. I just want some reports
> on models that work.
>
> I don't need advice on how to google or.... just please models that work.
>
> <note: if you have no models that you can recommend that are VERY quiet,
> PLEASE, do NOT bother to reply!>
>
> --
> Steve

The problem is that the heater is on the bottom and the water has to be pumped or gurgled up to the filter. You need one that has the tank and water heater above the filter so gravity moves the hot water into the filter instead of popping, gurgling, hissing and sperting it up a tube.

Gary

Aug 30, 2017, 8:35:04 AM8/30/17
gth...@gmail.com wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
> > <note: if you have no models that you can recommend that are VERY quiet,
> > PLEASE, do NOT bother to reply!>
>
> The problem is that the heater is on the bottom and the water has to be pumped or gurgled up to the filter. You need one that has the tank and water heater above the filter so gravity moves the hot water into the filter instead of popping, gurgling, hissing and sperting it up a tube.

Ok, gang of RFC. I noticed the old date but I'm responding
anyway.
One reason google group people never write back is because
everyone here slams them for responding to some ancient post. And
they also get slammed for never responding back. Can't blame
them...send a post only to get yelled at for responding to an
ancient post.

I don't mind the old posts being reviewed and answered. People
here change and long time gone by, lots of these old posts can be
revisited except for the elite here.

So anyway...a quiet coffee maker was the question.
I use a Mr.Coffee 4 cup machine.
Turn it on and it's completely quiet until the last
few seconds. That's when it gurgles. That's when I
know my coffee is ready.

sharonc...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2020, 10:33:56 AM3/3/20