Looking for Kapusta Recipe.

aztec885

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
My husband used to work the Polish Festivals...he said there was a sweet and
sour cabbage called Kapusta and we are hoping someone has the recipe. I
have made regular sweet and sour cabbage...but the Kapusta is better. Hope
someone can find it for us. Thank You.

Sally

MR B.

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00

I have lots of Kapusta recipes(15+), but most of them just use
sauerkraut. Here's 3 different recipes . I hope one of them is the one
you want. I haven't tried any of these.

Kapusta Z Jablkamy -- Polish Cabbages With Ap
By: Unknown
fruit, meats, spreads, vegetables

1 medium head of cabbage
1 tablespoon salt
3 or 4 green apples
2 tomatoes (optional)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter
3 slice crisp bacon
2 sliced onions

Shred cabbage. Cover cabbage and onion with boiling
water. Let stand 10 minutes. Place butter or broken
bacon slices in the bottom of a kettle. Add drained
cabbage with onion, apples and tomatoes. Remove seeds
from tomatoes first. Seed will give a bitter taste to
the cabbage. Add sugar and simmer until tender, about
20 minutes. Salt while cooking.

Source: Treasured Polish Recipes for Americans Typed
for you by Linda Fields, Cyberealm BBS and home of
Kook-Net Watertown NY 315-786-1120

Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 00:00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kapusta Kiszona Z Grzybami
By: Unknown
spices, spreads, vegetables

1 oz mushrooms, dried (or use about 1/4; lb
fresh mushrooms)
1/2 cup warm water
1 large onion
2 1/2 teaspoon butter
1 1/2 lb sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoon flour
1 salt and pepper

Soak the dried mushrooms in 1/2 cup of warm water for
1 hour. Saute mushrooms and onion in butter in a
skillet 3 minutes. Add sauerkraut to mushrooms; cook
and stir for 10 minutes.

Blend 1/3 cup water into flour. Mix with sauerkraut
and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt
and pepper.

NOTES:

* Stewed Sauerkraut with Mushrooms -- This recipe
could be used as part of a 12-course meal known in
Polish as Wigilia, or on its own. Wigilia is eaten
after sundown on Christmas Eve. This tastes better if
you make your own sauerkraut (but that's another
recipe).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cerveny Kapusta
By: Unknown
vegetables

3 cup rendered pork fat (trimmed from cho; ps
or roast)
1 finely chopped onions
1 paprika
1 medium head red cabbage
1 salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 fresh ground black pepper
1 large apple, grated
2 tablespoon white [sic] vinegar
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds

Render pork fat very slowly; remove "cracklings", & add enough finely
chopped onion for taste and flavor. Cook until golden. Add paprika
slowly, DON'T let it burn or smoke. Let cool, and store, covered in
refrigerator - will keep for a long time.

Wash the cabbage in cold water, quarter it & chop finely, salting as
you go. Discard the core. Heat about 3 cups of the pork-fat/onion
mixture, add about 1/2 teasp. paprika - don't let it burn. Add the
wet, salty cabbage & stir until it's coated with fat. Add pepper to
taste, grated apple, stir in; add about 2-3 tsps wine [sic] vinegar,
1 tbsp sugar. Rub about 1 1/2 tsp caraway seeds between palms, & add
to cabbage.

This totally "handed-down-through-the-Wincenc-family" recipe will
come out differently each time - until you arrive at the taste you
like best. Taste as you go along! But the true test will be on the
2nd or 3rd day when reheating the left-overs. I always loved it best
then!!

Carol Wincenc

MR B.

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
By reading some my Kapusta recipe. I think Kapusta means Cabbage in
Polish...So lots of luck...
Any other hints you can give me... ?

Lissa

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
"MR B." wrote:

> By reading some my Kapusta recipe. I think Kapusta means Cabbage in
> Polish...So lots of luck...
> Any other hints you can give me... ?

Probably does ... that's what it means in Russian.

CABA2023

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
> Looking for Kapusta Recipe.

Martha Stewart's Mother's Recipe:

STUFFED CABBAGE--Martha's Mother
Serves 6 to 8 1 large green cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 cups cooked rice
8 ounces ground beef
8 ounces ground pork
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1 medium green pepper, grated
2 celery stalks with leaves, finely chopped
4 cups tomato purée
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/2 cup sour cream, plus more for garnish 1. Using a paring knife, remove
center core of cabbage. In a large stockpot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil.
Add cabbage and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until outer leaves are bright green and
tender. Lift cabbage from water, and remove outer leaves. Return cabbage to
boiling water, and repeat brief cooking and removal of leaves until all leaves
are cooked. Reserve 2 cups cabbage cooking water. Trim thick center vein from
bottom of each leaf. Reserve four large outer leaves to line bottom of pan. Set
aside.

2. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and
cook until golden and tender, about 8 minutes. In a large bowl, combine onion
mixture, rice, beef, pork, salt, pepper, parsley flakes, green pepper, and
celery. Stir to combine.

3. Add about 1/3 cup rice filling to one cabbage leaf. Fold sides of cabbage
over filling and starting with the stem end, roll the cabbage up. Repeat with
remaining leaves and filling.

4. Line a 5-quart Dutch oven with reserved outside leaves. Transfer stuffed
cabbage leaves to Dutch oven.

5. In a large bowl, combine tomato purée and the reserved 2 cups of cabbage
cooking water. Pour some of the tomato sauce over cabbage to almost cover.
Sprinkle apple over top of cabbage leaves. Bring to a gentle simmer, adding
additional tomato sauce as needed, for 1 hour or until cabbage is very tender.

6. Place sour cream in a small bowl, and ladle in about 3/4 cup of tomato sauce
from the cooked stuffed cabbage rolls. Whisk to combine. Add sour cream mixture
back to French oven, and stir to combine. Serve with additional sour cream.

Rick Hackett

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
Sally - I have a Red Cabbage/Red Apple/Red Onion recipe. Let me know if you
(or anybody else) wants it. I know where it is...but it will require a
little bit of digging. Cyndi

Jerry Z.

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Sweet and Sour Cabbage(Kapusta)
> Aprx. 4 – 5 lbs. Cabbage
1 bag sauerkraut
½ lb. Salt pork (bacon will also work)
yellow split peas (optional )

Cut cabbage into ¼ in strips. Place in pot cover with water, Rinse
sauerkraut in water add to cabbage,bring to a boil, reduce to
simmer ,cook until tender. If you wish add about 1/2c. cooked yellow
Split peas.

.

Dice salt pork, sauté until golden brown(do not burn) remove large
pieces add to cabbage.
Add flour to make a roux, if you don’t have enough rendered fat add,
butter, oil, ect.
Stir in roux, simmer about 15 mins.

Salt and pepper to taste If you like it a little sour, add white
vinegar , a litlle more sweet add sugar,
Vinegar and sugar amounts vary , it depends on how sour the Kraut is.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Lin Fields

Oct 9, 2022, 10:13:54 PM10/9/22
> "aztec885" <azte...@gateway.net> wrote in message
> > My husband used to work the Polish Festivals...he said there was a
> sweet and
> > sour cabbage called Kapusta and we are hoping someone has the recipe.
> > have made regular sweet and sour cabbage...but the Kapusta is better.
> Hope
> > someone can find it for us. Thank You.
> >
> > Sally

Thank you for quoting my Kapusta recipe. My husband and I had the largest BBS system in the early 1990's for recipes!!

Lin Fields, owner Cyberealm BBS Watertown NY