Where to buy fresh tabasco chili peppers?

Patrick Danville

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
I'd appreciate any direction to a mail order source for fresh tabasco
chilis. I'd like to try a homemade version of tabasco sauce and can't
find any fresh peppers locally. Many thanks.

pdan __ __ ____ ___ ___ ____
pd...@primenet.com /__)/__) / / / / /_ /\ / /_ /
/ / \ / / / / /__ / \/ /___ /

Maguire

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
I _think_ (in fact, I'm fairly sure) that Tabasco is just the brand name of the
sauce and is not the name of a type of pepper...
julie

David Wright

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 12:51:30 -0400, Maguire <jkja...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I _think_ (in fact, I'm fairly sure) that Tabasco is just the brand name of the
>sauce and is not the name of a type of pepper...
>julie
>
>Patrick Danville wrote:
>
>> I'd appreciate any direction to a mail order source for fresh tabasco
>> chilis. I'd like to try a homemade version of tabasco sauce and can't
>> find any fresh peppers locally. Many thanks.

If you do a search on google.com for "tabasco peppers" you'll see
several references. As to where to buy them, I can't help, but maybe
you could grow your own next year.

HTH,
David

Gary M.

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Maguire wrote:

> I _think_ (in fact, I'm fairly sure) that Tabasco is just the brand name of the
> sauce and is not the name of a type of pepper...

Right you are! :-D

I just looked and it's made from red peppers, vinegar and salt:
http://www.TABASCO.com/html/historian_whats_in.html

Gary

Patrick Danville

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
In article <37F8DB0A...@earthlink.net>,

Maguire <jkja...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I _think_ (in fact, I'm fairly sure) that Tabasco is just the brand name of the
>sauce and is not the name of a type of pepper...
>julie
>
>Patrick Danville wrote:
The McIlheny clan who make "the" Tabasco, claim they use tabasco
chilis grown locally and in the West Indies, and I did find sources
for tabasco pepper plants, so assumed they are the ones used.

>> I'd appreciate any direction to a mail order source for fresh tabasco
>> chilis. I'd like to try a homemade version of tabasco sauce and can't
>> find any fresh peppers locally. Many thanks.

Steve Bennett

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
Maguire <jkja...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I _think_ (in fact, I'm fairly sure) that Tabasco is just the brand name of the
>sauce and is not the name of a type of pepper...

According to the Chile-Heads website the pepper used in Tabasco sauce
is the C. frutescens. Go to
http://neptune.netimages.com/~chile/gallery/tabasco.html.

Steve Bennett

JimF

Oct 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/4/99
You are dead wrong. I have grown peppers for ages here in Texas. The
plant and the fruit are named tabasco. I buy tabasco plants at the
nursery, and no, it is not 'just what we call it'. The goobers over in
Louisana were smart enough long ago to trademark a name everyone
already knew and used. If you are going to try and make your own, be
aware the stuff is aged like wine to get the flavor that way. The good
homemade stuff sets up for over a year(at least my grandmas did). Buena
suerte.

Maguire wrote:

> I _think_ (in fact, I'm fairly sure) that Tabasco is just the brand name of the
> sauce and is not the name of a type of pepper...

> julie

JUST AN H

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
>I'd appreciate any direction to a mail order source for fresh tabasco
>chilis. I'd like to try a homemade version of tabasco sauce and can't
>find any fresh peppers locally. Many thanks.

As I promised earlier, I spoke with my co-worker today, and she assured me that
there is definitely a "tabasco pepper." Apparently, it's grown exclusively on
a small island called "Turtle Island" off the coast of Louisiana, and from
these peppers, Tabasco Sauce is made.

To obtain seeds for this pepper, check out a website entitled,
"shepherdseeds.com." Celeste brought it up on her computer at the office this
morning. It's a delightful website and very easy to get around .... and they
have every kind of pepper you could ever want.

J.

Richard Ogden

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
And you are absolutely right. Tabascos are one of the easiest of the hot
peppers to grow (well, they are all pretty easy if the weather's hot
enough). Peculiar habit, though - they grow erect rather than hanging down
from the branches, and the pop off the stems when ripe - no need to cut off
the green parts. In fact, they can be tricky to handle, because if you try
to pick them by the stems the red fruit will often end up on the ground.
Not my favorite hot pepper, but good.

BTW, anyone contemplating making the Louisiana type sauce should be aware
that the processing makes what some people would consider "rotten"
peppers... (Basically, leave the peppers in a barrel with some salt until
they are no longer recognizable...) But then, I use Thai and Vietnamese
fish sauce, and you *know* how that's made, right?

-Rich

JimF <ji...@redriverok.com> wrote in message

JimF

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Richard Ogden wrote:

> And you are absolutely right. Tabascos are one of the easiest of the hot
> peppers to grow (well, they are all pretty easy if the weather's hot
> enough). Peculiar habit, though - they grow erect rather than hanging down
> from the branches, and the pop off the stems when ripe - no need to cut off
> the green parts. In fact, they can be tricky to handle, because if you try
> to pick them by the stems the red fruit will often end up on the ground.
> Not my favorite hot pepper, but good.
>
> BTW, anyone contemplating making the Louisiana type sauce should be aware
> that the processing makes what some people would consider "rotten"
> peppers... (Basically, leave the peppers in a barrel with some salt until
> they are no longer recognizable...) But then, I use Thai and Vietnamese
> fish sauce, and you *know* how that's made, right?
>
> -Rich

MMmmmmmm. Rotten fish sauce. LUV IT.
BTW, I sneak up on my peppers with a pair of scissors and snip the stem,
the day before they would have detached, then string them with needle
and thread through the stem. Lots of the peppers insist on losing their
stem anyway, and those go in the vinegar. I usually end up with more
strings than I can use, and my friends seem to enjoy them. My kids put
them on the christmas tree. I enjoy my food way too much. Is this weird?
JimF

pearlyv...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2014, 3:03:57 PM12/6/14
On Monday, October 4, 1999 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, JimF wrote:
> You are dead wrong. I have grown peppers for ages here in Texas. The
> plant and the fruit are named tabasco. I buy tabasco plants at the
> nursery, and no, it is not 'just what we call it'. The goobers over in
> Louisana were smart enough long ago to trademark a name everyone
> already knew and used. If you are going to try and make your own, be
> aware the stuff is aged like wine to get the flavor that way. The good
> homemade stuff sets up for over a year(at least my grandmas did). Buena
> suerte.
>
> Maguire wrote:
> >
> > I _think_ (in fact, I'm fairly sure) that Tabasco is just the brand name of the
> > sauce and is not the name of a type of pepper...
> > julie

Thank you for posting that clarification JimF. And alerting everyone that aging is a significant part of the process.

rickeyj...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2017, 1:05:21 PM8/2/17
On Monday, October 4, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Patrick Danville wrote:
> I'd appreciate any direction to a mail order source for fresh tabasco
> chilis. I'd like to try a homemade version of tabasco sauce and can't
> find any fresh peppers locally. Many thanks.
>
> --
> pdan __ __ ____ ___ ___ ____
> pd...@primenet.com /__)/__) / / / / /_ /\ / /_ /
> / / \ / / / / /__ / \/ /___ /

hi im rickey from rickey jays farm i am looking for bulk tabasco peppers or bulk tabasco powder my distributer went out of business and I'm needing to find 1 of the 2 can anyone help me?
thanks Rickey

roland...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2018, 4:03:08 PM11/29/18
On Monday, October 4, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Patrick Danville wrote:
> I'd appreciate any direction to a mail order source for fresh tabasco
> chilis. I'd like to try a homemade version of tabasco sauce and can't
> find any fresh peppers locally. Many thanks.
>
> --

Almost 20 years worth of occasional posts and not a single one mentions a company that sells fresh tabasco peppers. Does this mean that they don't exist? Just wondering...

csmor...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2019, 7:45:30 PM6/26/19
It is the name of the pepper. I have plants but also want to buy fresh. I ferment what I do have and would like about a bushel.

alfredo...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2020, 10:55:59 PM8/8/20
wrong