OT : Laskys hi-fi store from many years ago

bargainhunter

Apr 29, 2008, 8:17:23 PM4/29/08
Anyone remember the Laskys store in Brighton from at least 15 years
ago ? I think Laskys or Laskeys was a chain to do with Dixons ?? I
only ask as I notice there is a Laskys online retailer now...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

BrianE

Apr 30, 2008, 2:55:59 AM4/30/08
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} expressed precisely :
> bargainhunter wrote
> on Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:17:23 -0700 (PDT) in message
> <fb100d41-27c5-4487...@34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:
>
>> Anyone remember the Laskys store in Brighton from at least 15 years
>> ago ? I think Laskys or Laskeys was a chain to do with Dixons ?? I
>> only ask as I notice there is a Laskys online retailer now...
>

> Couldn't find any info on Laskys being part of Dixons, though I do remember
> them, just thought they scaled back due to hard times. The Internet site
> has been around a while.
>
> Maybe someone else has more info.

AFAICR they had a big presence in Tottenham Court Road in the 70's. I
don't think they were or became Dixons though.

Peter Lynch

Apr 30, 2008, 3:49:43 AM4/30/08
There was an electronics shop called Lasky's in the Edgeware Rd (London)
during the 70's. Just down from Hentry's Radio (whatever happened to them?)

--
. Pete Lynch I have learned from my mistakes and
. Marlow ... I am sure I can repeat them exactly

Message has been deleted

Lin Chung

Apr 30, 2008, 8:32:12 AM4/30/08
Peter Lynch wrote:
> Welcome wrote :
> > Bargainhunter wrote

> > > Anyone remember the Laskys store in Brighton from at least 15 years
> > > ago ? I think Laskys or Laskeys was a chain to do with Dixons ?? I
> > > only ask as I notice there is a Laskys online retailer now...
> > Couldn't find any info on Laskys being part of Dixons, though I do
> > remember them, just thought they scaled back due to hard times. The
> > Internet site has been around a while.
> > AFAICR they had a big presence in Tottenham Court Road in the 70's. I
> > don't think they were or became Dixons though.
> There was an electronics shop called Lasky's in the Edgeware Rd (London)
> during the 70's. Just down from Hentry's Radio (whatever happened to
> them?)

Yes, I remember Laskys in Tottenham Court Road and the one in Edgware
Road. They showed a pretty large presence among the hi-fi and electical
shops there too. For some reason I always associate Laskys with Tandy/
RadioShack, the other retailer of very much similar size and kind. They
have all now disappeared.

Therefore, I was surprised to learn that Laskys is still a going concern:
Comet Group plc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Group_plc
".....Comet....Laskys and B&Q....[Woolworths and Superdrugs]....in 2003 to
form ...the Kingfisher Electricals S. A. ..."

--
Lin Chung.
[Paste ntlworld over the Water Margin to send a private e-mail.]

Message has been deleted

Angus Rodgers

Apr 30, 2008, 1:11:04 PM4/30/08
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:32:12 GMT, "Lin Chung"
<lin.chung@the Water Margin.com> wrote:

>Yes, I remember Laskys in Tottenham Court Road [...]

I bought my first system from that shop in 1973 or 1974 or thereabouts.
I still have the turntable (a Pioneer PL-12D), and as far as I know, it
still works! (It has had several drive belt replacements, of course.)

--
Angus Rodgers
(twirlip@ eats spam; reply to angusrod@)

John Smith

Apr 30, 2008, 2:15:09 PM4/30/08

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx_spam@trapped__hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> We had them in Brum, used them in the past.

Welcome, do you remember Roy Pollard's Electrical shops too? There were a
few of them around the Birmingham/Solihull area when I was a nipper.

The ones I can remember off the top of my head were Coventry Road Sheldon
shopping precinct, Old Lode Lane shops by Hatchford Brook Junior School,
Warwick Road Dovehouse Parade shops, and I think he had one in Bearwood too.

It was a standing joke amongst us kids that if one of your mates came by way
of a bit of dodgy electrical gear, then it must have come "from Roy
Pollard's front window".

Happy days!

Adrian C

Apr 30, 2008, 2:59:19 PM4/30/08
Angus Rodgers wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:32:12 GMT, "Lin Chung"
> <lin.chung@the Water Margin.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I remember Laskys in Tottenham Court Road [...]

<http://www.vintage-technology.info/pages/calculators/adverts/sincsciadv.htm>

And London: Oxford Street · Tottenham Court Road · Lisle Street ·
Edgeware Road ·Fleet Street · Brent Cross
Also at: Birmingham · Bristol · Chatham · Colchester · Croydon ·
Dartford · Kingston · Leicester · Lewisham · Northampton · Oxford ·
Reading · Romford · Slough · Southend · Swindon · Tunbridge Wells ·
Wolverhampton

I used to visit the branch in the Brent Cross shopping centre. It's now
a McDonalds...

> I bought my first system from that shop in 1973 or 1974 or thereabouts.
> I still have the turntable (a Pioneer PL-12D), and as far as I know, it
> still works! (It has had several drive belt replacements, of course.)

That turntable and arm is a nice one - I regreted getting rid of mine,
though it did buzz a bit coupling the motor noise with the base plate.
Shure M75ED cart?

--
Adrian C

Richard Colton

Apr 30, 2008, 3:02:49 PM4/30/08

"Adrian C" <em...@here.invalid> wrote in message

> Angus Rodgers wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:32:12 GMT, "Lin Chung" <lin.chung@the Water
>> Margin.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I remember Laskys in Tottenham Court Road [...]
>
> <http://www.vintage-technology.info/pages/calculators/adverts/sincsciadv.htm>
>
> And London: Oxford Street · Tottenham Court Road · Lisle Street · Edgeware
> Road ·Fleet Street · Brent Cross
> Also at: Birmingham · Bristol · Chatham · Colchester · Croydon · Dartford
> · Kingston · Leicester · Lewisham · Northampton · Oxford · Reading ·
> Romford · Slough · Southend · Swindon · Tunbridge Wells · Wolverhampton

There was one in Sheffield as well (circa 1982 I think). I bought my BBC
Model B from them way back when - I think it cost in the region of £400.

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk

Woody

Apr 30, 2008, 5:31:05 PM4/30/08
"Peter Lynch" <pe...@freyr.local> wrote in message

> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:55:59 +0100, BrianE wrote:
>> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} expressed precisely :
>>> bargainhunter wrote
>>> on Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:17:23 -0700 (PDT) in message

>>> Couldn't find any info on Laskys being part of Dixons, though I do
>>> remember
>>> them, just thought they scaled back due to hard times. The Internet
>>> site
>>> has been around a while.
>>>
>>> Maybe someone else has more info.
>>
>> AFAICR they had a big presence in Tottenham Court Road in the 70's. I
>> don't think they were or became Dixons though.
>>
> There was an electronics shop called Lasky's in the Edgeware Rd
> (London)
> during the 70's. Just down from Hentry's Radio (whatever happened to
> them?)

Last time I was down the smoke Henry's Radio (as it was) was still very
much there in Edgware Road about 250yds or so up from Paddington Green
nick on the other side (where they've always been.) Now called Henry's
Electronics and BT list them as 404 Edgware Road, so I suppose they
still at it!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Angus Rodgers

May 1, 2008, 7:13:05 AM5/1/08
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:59:19 +0100, Adrian C <em...@here.invalid> wrote:

>Angus Rodgers wrote:
>
>> I bought my first system from that shop in 1973 or 1974 or thereabouts.
>> I still have the turntable (a Pioneer PL-12D), and as far as I know, it
>> still works! (It has had several drive belt replacements, of course.)
>>

>That turntable and arm is a nice one - I regreted getting rid of mine,
>though it did buzz a bit coupling the motor noise with the base plate.
>Shure M75ED cart?

I'm damned if I can remember what cartridge I bought (although whatever
it is, I probably still have the instruction booklet, along with all the
receipts for the equipment, although I've lost far more important things
over the decades!), but what seems to be in there at the moment is an
Ortofon VMS10E Mk II. I really must get around to learning how to
transfer some of my LP collection to CD and MP3 ... I've got some good
old prog rock LPs that have never made it onto CD, or whose CD transfers
are rare or impossible to find.

Panda

May 1, 2008, 9:55:27 AM5/1/08
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:11:04 +0100, Angus Rodgers
<twi...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:32:12 GMT, "Lin Chung"
><lin.chung@the Water Margin.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes, I remember Laskys in Tottenham Court Road [...]
>
>I bought my first system from that shop in 1973 or 1974 or thereabouts.
>I still have the turntable (a Pioneer PL-12D), and as far as I know, it
>still works! (It has had several drive belt replacements, of course.)

Snap - my PL-12D from Laskys dates from 1968 I think but I have never
needed to replace the drive belt (not used it for a few years now
though).
--

Panda
Win Amazon vouchers for searching:

http://www.winzy.com/SusieM

Message has been deleted

Theo Markettos

May 3, 2008, 5:52:29 PM5/3/08
Lin Chung <lin.chung@the water margin.com> wrote:
> Yes, I remember Laskys in Tottenham Court Road and the one in Edgware
> Road. They showed a pretty large presence among the hi-fi and electical
> shops there too. For some reason I always associate Laskys with Tandy/
> RadioShack, the other retailer of very much similar size and kind. They
> have all now disappeared.

The Laskys in Guildford closed about 1988/9, so they hung on for a bit.

> Therefore, I was surprised to learn that Laskys is still a going concern:
> Comet Group plc.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Group_plc
> ".....Comet....Laskys and B&Q....[Woolworths and Superdrugs]....in 2003 to
> form ...the Kingfisher Electricals S. A. ..."

After leafing through a pile of 1974-vintage Practical Wireless I was
surprised to discover the Laskys website. It's surprising how many
companies of that era are still going - Cricklewood Electronics, for
example, who how used to be called something else until they moved into the
shop next door and renamed (according to my pile of 1970s magazines). I
ordered from them the other month - still going, still carrying the same
stock.

I was also surprised to see someone carrying a Micro Anvika carrier bag the
other day - my one and only dealing with them was buying a discount
printer in 1988 from their Tottenham Court Road shop.

Theo

Adrian C

May 4, 2008, 4:51:14 AM5/4/08
Theo Markettos wrote:

> After leafing through a pile of 1974-vintage Practical Wireless I was
> surprised to discover the Laskys website. It's surprising how many
> companies of that era are still going - Cricklewood Electronics, for
> example, who how used to be called something else until they moved into the
> shop next door and renamed (according to my pile of 1970s magazines). I
> ordered from them the other month - still going, still carrying the same
> stock.

Yup, Cricklewood Electronic's shop is a useful dropin for me for stuff
and components that the local Maplins have ditched or overpriced in
their catalogue. Even little things like thermal fuses!!
<http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com>

> I was also surprised to see someone carrying a Micro Anvika carrier bag the
> other day - my one and only dealing with them was buying a discount
> printer in 1988 from their Tottenham Court Road shop.

Micro Anvika is one of now a handful of companies that run Tottenham
Court road (TCR), and is a large Apple dealership. I find them expensive
on sticker price but you can barter with the shop staff.

Other shops on TCR
<http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/tottcrt/tcr_intro.htm>

BTW Bartering is the only way to get a decent bargain and not ripped off
on that road - you need to be clued up on prices of the competition on
the same product and be prepared for a friendly battle. Most of the
staff and their other customers come from countries where bartering is
the accepted norm - you gain respect (and a discount) by doing it, and
silent mockery by paying the sticker price....

OK, blast from the past. Anyone remember Proops Brothers on TCR?

:-)

--
Adrian C

Jonathan Campbell

May 4, 2008, 8:15:58 AM5/4/08
Adrian C wrote:
> Theo Markettos wrote:
>
>> After leafing through a pile of 1974-vintage Practical Wireless I was
>> surprised to discover the Laskys website. It's surprising how many
>> companies of that era are still going - Cricklewood Electronics, for
[...]

A friend who lived in London at time (1972ish) claimed that Mr. Laskey
himself delivered a replacement for a faulty Sinclair amplifier (*) to
his house and waited for it to be tested.

(*) surprise, surprise.

Jon C.

Linker3000

May 5, 2008, 6:26:02 PM5/5/08
I remember Proops - everything from scalpel blades to 'god knows what'!

Used to be a regular stop on my trips up from Chichester as a teenager
to poke around TCR and Edgware Road!

Palindrome

May 5, 2008, 6:34:08 PM5/5/08
Ah, but do you remember GW Smith's, of 3 Lisle Street?

--
Sue

Linker3000

May 5, 2008, 7:20:29 PM5/5/08

'fraid not. One haunt that Brightonians may remember is the Shop in
Gardner Street run by the late Arthur Sallis and then there's GWM Radio
in Worthing.

thoss

May 6, 2008, 4:19:38 AM5/6/08
At 22:34:08 on Mon, 5 May 2008 Palindrome opined:-

>>> OK, blast from the past. Anyone remember Proops Brothers on TCR?
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>> I remember Proops - everything from scalpel blades to 'god knows what'!
>>
>> Used to be a regular stop on my trips up from Chichester as a teenager
>> to poke around TCR and Edgware Road!
>>
>Ah, but do you remember GW Smith's, of 3 Lisle Street?

Indeed I do. But does anybody remember The Shop On The Bridge?
Reading's equivalent of Proops, it started by selling war surplus
equipment and may well have predated Proops.

Incidentally, and much later, Reading also had a Lasky's.
--
Thoss

Geo

May 6, 2008, 1:54:13 PM5/6/08
On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:34:08 GMT, Palindrome <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Ah, but do you remember GW Smith's, of 3 Lisle Street?

Yup - and Little Newport street - spent days of my life in & out of those shops
- resisting their (and other nearby) attractions...

Geo

Angus Rodgers

May 6, 2008, 4:25:03 PM5/6/08

Of course, you mean lemon tea and buns in one of those little
Chinese cafes. ;-)

Adrian C

May 6, 2008, 5:54:58 PM5/6/08
Linker3000 wrote:

> I remember Proops - everything from scalpel blades to 'god knows what'!
>
> Used to be a regular stop on my trips up from Chichester as a teenager
> to poke around TCR and Edgware Road!

Yup, same here. I'd walk up TCR and Edgware road and Notting Hill (HiFi
and Video Exchange) and stagger back. Not drunk, but junk laden and geek
happy :-)

Proops are still around of sorts...
<http://www.proopsbrothers.com/history.html>

After moving out of TCR, they had a small shop in the Wealdstone
district of Harrow. I never got to visit them there, and when I finally
got the time - they were gone.... :-(

--
Adrian C

SimonB

May 7, 2008, 8:04:11 AM5/7/08
Woody <wo...@spamblock.com> wrote:

> "Peter Lynch" <pe...@freyr.local> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:55:59 +0100, BrianE wrote:
> >> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} expressed precisely :
> >>>

> > There was an electronics shop called Lasky's in the Edgeware Rd
> > (London)
> > during the 70's. Just down from Hentry's Radio (whatever happened to
> > them?)
>
> Last time I was down the smoke Henry's Radio (as it was) was still very
> much there in Edgware Road about 250yds or so up from Paddington Green
> nick on the other side (where they've always been.) Now called Henry's
> Electronics and BT list them as 404 Edgware Road, so I suppose they
> still at it!

Yep -- Henry's are still there in Edgware Rd. -- confirmed yesterday.
Great shop!

--
Simon

Dickie mint

May 7, 2008, 3:48:24 PM5/7/08
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> John Smith wrote
> on Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:15:09 GMT in message
> <NG2Sj.17860$yD2....@text.news.virginmedia.com>:
> Afraid it doesn't jog any memories at the moment.

Roy Pollard closed some while ago. He retired and "couldn't cope with
discount stores" IIRC.

Richard

Adam Aglionby

May 8, 2008, 6:08:15 PM5/8/08
On May 7, 1:04 pm, c...@ukonline.co.uk (SimonB) wrote:
> Woody <wo...@spamblock.com> wrote:
> > "Peter Lynch" <p...@freyr.local> wrote in message

> > > There was an electronics shop called Lasky's in the Edgeware Rd
> > > (London)
> > > during the 70's. Just down from Hentry's Radio (whatever happened to
> > > them?)
>
> > Last time I was down the smoke Henry's Radio (as it was) was still very
> > much there in Edgware Road about 250yds or so up from Paddington Green
> > nick on the other side (where they've always been.) Now called Henry's
> > Electronics and BT list them as 404 Edgware Road, so I suppose they
> > still at it!
>
> Yep -- Henry's are still there in Edgware Rd. -- confirmed yesterday.
> Great shop!
>
> --
> Simon

Edinburgh had a Laskys up till the mid eighties in the St James Centre
and Browns on George IV bridge was the surplus shop that had
everything as long as you didn`t mind resistors the size of pencils
made of morganite ;-)

Henry`s are still about

http://www.henrys.co.uk

Adam

gkg...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2015, 9:55:21 AM2/7/15
They had a retail store in Gardner Street about 50 years ago. They sold good quality gear such as leak and wharfedale
Interesting that they sold electronic components from the basement.would imagine they have long since gone

leyp...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2016, 3:52:59 AM10/25/16
On Wednesday, 30 April 2008 01:17:23 UTC+1, bargainhunter wrote:
> Anyone remember the Laskys store in Brighton from at least 15 years
> ago ? I think Laskys or Laskeys was a chain to do with Dixons ?? I
> only ask as I notice there is a Laskys online retailer now...

I worked at Laskys Radio 33 Tottenham Ct Rd from 1968 to 1971.
They had a dedicated Hi-Fi shop at 42 Tot` Ct Rd.In 1970 they leased the premises next door formally an upmarket furniture store known as Catesbys.
In 1971 I was made manager of the store at 207 Edgware Rd,1972 Laskys merged with the Smith family who ran" Henrys Radio" and the Adler`s ( no relation to the harmonica player) who ran an import company selling electrical goods branded "Eagle".The Lasky`s Mr Eddy & Mr Harry were getting on a bit,so when the new Company "Audiotronic"was formed they took a back seat.
After Edgware Rd I ran the branch at 109 Fleet St,then Victoria Centre next to C&A in Southend On Sea.
I left 1978.
I remember selling the early Amstrad & Sinclair products ( sell 3 get 2 back faulty) also a range of test meters and other electronic gadgets branded TTC. These ware always popping up in early "Doctor Who" shows.

leyp...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2016, 4:02:22 AM10/25/16
On Wednesday, 30 April 2008 01:17:23 UTC+1, bargainhunter wrote:
> Anyone remember the Laskys store in Brighton from at least 15 years
> ago ? I think Laskys or Laskeys was a chain to do with Dixons ?? I
> only ask as I notice there is a Laskys online retailer now...

Trio TAa150 amp,pair Wharfedale Denton speakers,& Gerrard SP25.AD76k cartridge with plinth & cover.Those were the days.
We used to throw out old stock of stuff like Quad 303,& Leak TL12 valve amp`s,as nobody wanted them !!
Like gold dust now.Bit like scrapping a mint MK. 1 E.Type.

rascalca...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2018, 6:16:22 AM8/15/18
On Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 1:17:23 AM UTC+1, bargainhunter wrote:
> Anyone remember the Laskys store in Brighton from at least 15 years
> ago ? I think Laskys or Laskeys was a chain to do with Dixons ?? I
> only ask as I notice there is a Laskys online retailer now...

Laskys had nothing to do with Dixon's.They had a few branches around London - and they were not the flavour of the month of other Hi-Fi and electronics businesses back in the day.

They were cheaper than the competition, with many loss leaders - but in the trade, they all knew that Lasky's bubble would burst at some point, and while they had their day, many competing and long standing businesses would fold, and they did.

Resulting in today with very little in specialist shops being left.

fwcaer...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2018, 5:19:08 PM9/25/18
Used to work in the cardiff store. Gr8 days

joh...@mac.com

Mar 4, 2019, 12:56:36 PM3/4/19
Hi Guys I worked for both Henry’s Radio shops during the 1960’s before emigrating first to the USA and then on to Australia around 1972.
The well regarded Jewish family started by Henry French started their retail life as an electronic component store and then branched out into the hifi market around 1963 I think they were very good people to work for Mr David French was a old school gentleman who drove an immaculate Jag, I remember fitting his house and his brother Michael houses with the latest gear of the day.
I also remember building a combo hifi semi studio for John Peel at his studio apartment ,one day whilst I was fitting the gear the rock group Flock stood outside his front window posing identically the same as their record cover complete with joints in hand!
At that time I lived in a shared house with the folk singer Roy Harper our nearby neighbors in Kilburm included Donavon and Paul Simon.
I also worked for about a month or six weeks for Laskys in TCR between my move from the USA and my 12 month overland trip to OZ calling in all the places one can’t travel anymore like Syria,Iraq,Iran,Pakistan and then on through India And Sri Lanka.
I loved London in the sixties I guess my love was coloured by the fun society’s of the time when I returned after nearly 40 years I was a little disappointed the country had turned into the biggest open air museum in the world.
Anyway still love my music and my hifi currently running multi Prima Luna amps with 6 ft tall Martin Logan esl’s with both vinyl and digital front ends.

satinfe...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2020, 7:07:33 PM1/27/20
72 TCR as it was known as the largest hifi store in Europe at the time. I worked at both the Liverpool dale at and Plymouth new George st stores and knew Ok well.

satinfe...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2020, 7:08:45 PM1/27/20
Definitely nothing to do with Dixons.

masterst...@gmail.com

May 5, 2020, 7:27:32 AM5/5/20
On Wednesday, April 30, 2008 at 1:17:23 AM UTC+1, bargainhunter wrote:
> Anyone remember the Laskys store in Brighton from at least 15 years
> ago ? I think Laskys or Laskeys was a chain to do with Dixons ?? I
> only ask as I notice there is a Laskys online retailer now...

Laskys had 43 stores from Aberdeen in Scotland down to the South coast and was staffed by very well trained staff. They were owned by Ladbrokes and run by their founder Peter Klein for many years. I will post more soon.

ashley...@googlemail.com

Aug 17, 2020, 5:42:59 PM8/17/20
As other have said Laskys was owned by Ladbrokes then sold to Comet. Comet rebranded some stores, shut other down over time.

I worked at Laskys in Maidstone from 86-89 at weekends and holidays during A levels and 1st year of Uni, then managed to get transferred to 42 TCR Laskys flagship and worked their during the rest of Uni and through to the end of 1991. Some very happy memories.

In the latter days though Comet destroyed what brand value Laskys had by constraining stock badly. Ended up not having much to sell, then it folded. Comet kept the brand online until ithe whole Group folded in 2012.

Happy memories and a lesson in how to mismanage a business!

chris....@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2020, 2:27:02 AM9/5/20
We are legit, serious and trusthworthy
Zopiclone 7.5mg
Diazepam 10mg
Diazepam 5mg
Xanax
Oxycodone
Adderall
Xanax 2mg
Tramadol 100mg, 200mg and 225mg,
ketamine vials/ crystal
Moonrock
Bruce banner
Master Kush Girl scout cookies etc
Cannabis oil
Thc oil
Wax/Shatter

Secured communication via wickr.....Benzos78463 OR
email... Pjwatson999 @ gmail.com
FOR MORE INFO ON HOW TO PLACE YOUR ORDERS