Suggestion

1 view

Cdippo

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

I'm fairly new to this newsgroup. I post an occasional contest site, answer or
win.
I especially enjoy reading about a contest win. It lets me know a particular
contest or sweepstakes is legitimate, people are really winning and I go to the
site to try my luck and possibly snag a win, too. But I don't have time to read
20+ congratulatory messages each time a win is posted. Wouldn't it make more
sense to email a particular winner with your private congratulations??

Cheryl

Carolynn

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Cheryl,

I used to have that complaint too until I found out that I can skip
complete message threads by simply using the THREAD option on my news
browser (netscape 3.0) so now I can skip all these type message if I
want and it doesn't take any time at all.

Carolynn

JayhawKen

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

At the risk of virtually breaking the rule being suggested, may I add my strong
ditto to Cheryl's kind suggestion to eliminate the group-wide congratulations
and send personal e-mails instead. This will do nothing to harm the sense of
"family" many of you seem to enjoy and will make it easier for all of us to get
on with the business of winning.

By the way, I have long been wondering what the word "congrands" means (heck,
for that matter, I will throw in "congrandulations" and "congradulations" for
good measure). Friends, there is no "d" and no middle "n" in either the short
or long versions of the word you mean. Try a "t" in its place next time and
make your old English teacher smile instead of wince.

CONGRATULATIONS, Cheryl, on some long overdue advice. :-)

Robin

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Cheryl,

You obviously are missing the point :-) By posting congratulations, we
are able to publically show how supportive and pumped we are. See?!?

Robin

DMorgan721

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

>By posting congratulations, we
>are able to publically show how supportive and pumped we are. See?!?
>
>Robin

I agree with Robin. I like the group coming response and feeling that sense of
community with my other sweepers. It is definately a way to show our
excitement to the group!! Just my thought.

Debbie

Suzy

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

You're right, Robin. I read the win post and then 1 or 2 of the congrats
and then mark the thread as read. I like to see the support.
Suzy

Robin wrote:

> Cheryl,
>
> You obviously are missing the point :-) By posting congratulations, we

> are able to publically show how supportive and pumped we are. See?!?
>
> Robin

Michael Peterson

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

I stand in mild oposition to this suggestion. I DOn't know how many of
you have gone to Atlantic City, Reno, Taho, or Las Vegas or how many of
you watch game shows on TV. But could you just imagine jepoardy if the
person won and there was no reaction to the winners. Everyone just
waited until the show was over and privately wished their best. What
about the Superbowl, After losing four the Denver Broncco's
Stun the crowd with a 3-point of the Green Bay Packers. Frank Gifford
says "that's all folks and leaves to privately congratulate JoHN Elway.
Half the fun of winning is sharing the wins, besides it tells many which
contests are hitting (where the fish are bitting so to speak" and
although it can be frustrating when you aren't winning--you can see by
the winners posts and the congrats that better times are ahead. Many on
the newsgroup may not know the winner or feel comfortable sending
private email. This also gives new people a chance to step in and
introduce themselves without feeling like they need to know a lot at
first.

Oh and, I was an a TO b STudent in english but the way this program is
messing up this post you would never know it. On the other hand I never
said I got good grades in computer manipulation!
Take Care
and happy sweeping

Mike On 16 Jan 1998, JayhawKen

STDOR

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

<<may I add my strong ditto to Cheryl's kind suggestion to eliminate the
group-wide congratulations and send personal e-mails instead. >>

I like the congratualtions, congrands and congrants etc... and will continue
to do so, as said for the ones that don't they can skip them.

<<By the way, I have long been wondering what the word "congrands" >>

Well, I am sure you know what it means and I am sure you know it is slang. Just
as U is used for slang in cyberspace for you. Don't look for proper English in
cyberspace you will be dissappointed, sorry.

I know my English is a lazy English. I also know I wince everytime I see people
write ALOT as a word when there is not such word. However, I also know this is
cyberspace. So, I am just going to have to wince and bare with it.

JMT (just my thoughts)

Happy Sweeping and many wins to U,
Tracey

Carolynn

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Another ditto here! If you don't want to read a long thread of congrats
then use the THREAD option on your browser and it will mark them as
read. I once complained about this too until I learned about this handy
option!

I was also an A+ student in English at college and I know how to spell
"congratulations", however how I spell & speak are totally different
from how I quickly type here. I think the spelling "congradulations"
came about as a pun on the word congratulations and graduation - people
used that word to congratulate graduates. I've never heard of
"congrandulations" but it sounds like another pun on the words grand and
congratulations for a GRAND CONGRATULATIONS! Many of us well-spoken
people use slang and mis-spellings here and that's part of cyber lingo
just as how you used the letter "U" instead of you.

Carolynn

STDOR

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Hi Carol.

<<I was also an A+ student in English at college and I know how to spell
"congratulations", however how I spell & speak are totally different from how
I quickly type here. I think the spelling "congradulations"
came about as a pun on the word congratulations and graduation - people used
that word to congratulate graduates. I've never heard of "congrandulations" but
it sounds like another pun on the words grand and congratulations for a GRAND
CONGRATULATIONS! >>

Interesting, I knew it was related to graduation some how. BTW I was also an A
student and graduated top of my class (although one could never tell by my
spelling <VBG>) for both degrees. If my professors would see my post thought
they would well . . . <LOL>,(So, I can't blame the English teacher for asking
it is the nature of the job).

There is another point here that I think also needs to be made. (this is not
directed at U). If people feel that they have to watch their grammer because
someone is watching them they will stop posting and we will lose some good
posters and contests and answers to the contests.

<<Many of us well-spoken people use slang and mis-spellings here and that's
part of cyber lingo
just as how you used the letter "U" instead of you.>>

Yes, you said what I was saying I think really your post may be directed at the
one who asked us to us proper English, since we are agreeing.

Happy Sweeping,
Tracey

BTW Congrands!!! to your daughter!!

FTellez

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

>people use slang and mis-spellings here and that's
>part of cyber lingo
>just as how you used the letter "U" instead of you.

Hiya everybuddy!
I agree. Izzat English? Yup, I tink so. It just looks different. Here's a
good one I overheard in a chatroom the other day.

"Okay,I'll go to a private room with you, but don't be sexpecting anything."

Now there's a word that needs to be invented. : )
And while I'm on the subject of inventing words, I'm really surprised that no
one has coined the word "Intertainment" yet.
It means entertainment on the internet. So let me be the first. : )
My word! I call it! : )

Frank ~ : )

allen

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Michael Peterson wrote:

[...]

Extremely well put, Michael.

As a former newspaper editor, I probably know more about grammar,
syntax, spelling, etc. than most people I meet. Accordingly, I must
admit my slight 'wince' when I see mangled words and
sentences...BUT...I've learned also that content is the most important
quality of any word or sentence I've ever read, heard, or spoken.
Regardless, this is an informal forum where I feel comfortabul
missspeling werds if I want two, and will never judge anyone for their
grammar (unless provoked).

I also agree with Carolynn about deleting, or not reading, a thread.
When I see a long thread of congrats, I either read it or I don't.
Sometimes I add my congrats, sometimes I don't. It's all relevant to
the amount of time I have that day.

We are an interesting and diverse bunch, ain't we?

allen

My personal homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Village/6868

Clay

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

My feeling on E-mail congratulations is: if you know them well enough to
telephone them --- then E-mail them (you are entering their house and
private place with E-mail).

If you don't know them well enough to telephone them, then use the post
on the newsgroup. I can skip over complete threads on the newsgroup, but
E-mail, I have to open it, glance at it, delete it, go to my save
delete, re-open it to make sure i really want to be rid of it , then a
final delete.

Personal feeling!