Subway's "bread-notching" ripoff

blu...@my-deja.com

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
Who does Subway think they're fooling? My friends, family and I all
boycott Subway now due to our personal experiences with them, as
follows:

Great sub places slice the roll horizontally, right through the middle,
like normal people do; the filling in the middle, with half the bread on
the bottom, half on top. Like, duh!

Subway, on the other hand, does (in our opinion) this sneaky ripoff
gimmick. They take the sub roll, and cut a little V-shaped notch out of
the top of the roll, then put in the filling and replace the narrow
strip of bread back on top. Since the stupid little notch holds only a
FRACTION of the filling that a normal sub would hold, it gives the
illusion that the sub is really packed. Which in our experience and
opinion it is certainly NOT.

For someone who's never seen this, picture a sub with 95% percent of the
bread UNDERNEATH the filling. When you bite into it, all it tastes like
is a mouthful of bread (and not very good bread either), with a teeny
tiny little bit of filling.

We boycott Subway and so does everyone else we point out this little
gimmick to. Who do they think they're kidding? LOL!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Dave Pressley

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
I agree. With the exception of the meatball subs. The notch seems to hold
the meatballs in better so they don't fly out the back.
Too bad their meatballs taste like shit!
davepress.vcf

Ward Stewart

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:06:00 GMT, blu...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Who does Subway think they're fooling? My friends, family and I all
>boycott Subway now due to our personal experiences with them, as
>follows:
>
>Great sub places slice the roll horizontally, right through the middle,
>like normal people do; the filling in the middle, with half the bread on
>the bottom, half on top. Like, duh!
>
>Subway, on the other hand, does (in our opinion) this sneaky ripoff
>gimmick. They take the sub roll, and cut a little V-shaped notch out of
>the top of the roll, then put in the filling and replace the narrow
>strip of bread back on top. Since the stupid little notch holds only a
>FRACTION of the filling that a normal sub would hold, it gives the
>illusion that the sub is really packed. Which in our experience and
>opinion it is certainly NOT.
>
>For someone who's never seen this, picture a sub with 95% percent of the
>bread UNDERNEATH the filling. When you bite into it, all it tastes like
>is a mouthful of bread (and not very good bread either), with a teeny
>tiny little bit of filling.
>
>We boycott Subway and so does everyone else we point out this little
>gimmick to. Who do they think they're kidding? LOL!

That's the least of their sins -- I ate there once, some years ago -
and the soft sweet imitation rolls were hideous, soggy and nasty.

NOTHING in the way of filling, however copious, could possibly escape
from that poisonous so called bread!

ward

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

*************************
Orohippus, Mesohippus, Miohippus, Protohippus, Pliohippus, Equus.
Evolution is just a theory. So is gravity.
*************************

Bruce or Tracy

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
It costs a little more, I believe, but Blimpies (at least near our
house)
cuts the bread horizontal and dumps loads of stuff between the slices.
Been to Subways twice - neither was memorable.

Bruce

Franklin Mint

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
In article <37c8f41e.18892244@news-server>, Ward Stewart
<wste...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> NOTHING in the way of filling, however copious, could possibly escape
> from that poisonous so called bread!

Guys, that is nothing - did you know that the "ham", "salami", etc. is
all turkey-based? When you order ham at Subway, you're basically
getting "ham flavored" turkey, not the real thing!

I used to work the late shift for awhile and the only place open at
that time of night was Subway, so I used to stop there a lot on my way
home from work. I became friendly with one of the managers there and
she told me all about this little "secret". I havn't eaten there since!
Bleeahh!

I also used to eat at Blimpies on occasion as well. THat is until my
friend asked for his sandwich to be heated and they wanted to charge
him $1.00 just to stick it in the microwave!!

If you want a good sub, go to a small deli or one of those mom/pop
pizza joints. They usually have better food and you'll actually get the
"real stuff" in your sandwhich.

suzn

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

Franklin Mint <r...@worker.DELETE.com> wrote in message

> In article <37c8f41e.18892244@news-server>, Ward Stewart
> <wste...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > NOTHING in the way of filling, however copious, could
possibly escape
> > from that poisonous so called bread!
>
> Guys, that is nothing - did you know that the "ham", "salami",
etc. is
> all turkey-based? When you order ham at Subway, you're
basically
> getting "ham flavored" turkey, not the real thing!
>
> I used to work the late shift for awhile and the only place
open at
> that time of night was Subway, so I used to stop there a lot
on my way
> home from work. I became friendly with one of the managers
there and
> she told me all about this little "secret". I havn't eaten
there since!
> Bleeahh!

Its not a "secret".....its a known fact coz its posted on the
menu and its suppose to be healthier than ham, salami and
whatever.......

Franklin Mint

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
In article <rQtt3.776$E.1...@news.flash.net>, suzn <su...@netscape.net>
wrote:

> Its not a "secret".....its a known fact coz its posted on the
> menu

I've never seen this openly acknowledged at any Subway shops...
defintely not at the one I used to go to.

> suppose to be healthier than ham, salami and
> whatever.......

What is used to flavor the turkey though? That's what I want to know...
I'd prefer to take my chances and go with the real thing rather than
artificially flavored turkey.

Franklin Mint

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
wrote:

> Its not a "secret".....its a known fact coz its posted on the

> menu and its suppose to be healthier than ham, salami and
> whatever.......

Also, I'm sure that Subway dosn't do this because they have your "good
health" in mind. I suspect they use turkey-based meats because it's
cheaper for them.

suzn

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

> In article <rQtt3.776$E.1...@news.flash.net>, suzn
<su...@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Its not a "secret".....its a known fact coz its posted on
the
> > menu
>
> I've never seen this openly acknowledged at any Subway
shops...
> defintely not at the one I used to go to.
>

> > suppose to be healthier than ham, salami and
> > whatever.......
>
> What is used to flavor the turkey though? That's what I want
to know...
> I'd prefer to take my chances and go with the real thing
rather than
> artificially flavored turkey.

Its posted at any of the Subway shops I go to.... I normally
get the "cold cut combo" and it states on the menu that it is
"turkey based" meat. You can buy turkey based
meats in the grocery store. I have no idea how it is made. I
cant really tell much difference in the taste though but it is
suppose to be lower in fat .......

Alexis Bentley

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
I also don't know what everyone is so concerned about. I live in a small
tourist town. Subway in our area does it's biggest business after the bars
close. Drunk people don't care what they eat. Everyone loves a sub after
the bar. Not to mention that this particular town houses one of the world's
most famous hotels. The ironic part is that even in the most expensive
hotel, the glass of wine that you had, I guarantee consists of backpour from
leftovers from some wedding. Everyone wants to save a buck. Not just
Subway.

--
Alexis Superstar Bentley
"Bowling is the sport of the great unwashed"
Jim Dompier <tfos...@kahala.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
> In article <37c8f41e.18892244@news-server>, wste...@hawaii.rr.com
> says...

> > NOTHING in the way of filling, however copious, could possibly escape
> > from that poisonous so called bread!
> >

> > ward
>
> So, you've eaten there ONCE, a number of YEARS ago?
>
> And you feel compelled to voice an opinion about Subway?
>
> Is this the method you use to form all of your opinions?
>
> gawd, I hope you don't vote!

> > >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
> >
> > *************************
> > Orohippus, Mesohippus, Miohippus, Protohippus, Pliohippus, Equus.
> > Evolution is just a theory. So is gravity.
> > *************************
> >

> --
>
> __**__
> **
> Jim Dompier
> http://www.islandshades.com
>
> ** My email address has been foiled to avoid spam. **
>
> ** The older you get, the better you realize you were.**

M J

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

Dave Pressley wrote:

> I agree. With the exception of the meatball subs. The notch seems to hold
> the meatballs in better so they don't fly out the back.
> Too bad their meatballs taste like shit!

Damn - The secret's out. I suspect Blimpies will now copy their recipe.

M J

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

> > Too bad their meatballs taste like shit!
>

> Maybe, but I don't have any problem with the quantity of meat and veggies
> on Subway sandwiches. I think they are pretty good but they are way over
> priced.

While they may have quality iceberg lettuce (is that an oxymoron?) and quality
white-bread rolls, I wonder if the fat content exceeds the meat content in their
cold cuts.

They do seem to charge a lot for lettuce sandwiches, flavored with meat-like
products.

M J

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

> Been to Subways twice - neither was memorable.

I've also been there twice, but for me, it was memorable both times.

Dave C.

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
Yup. The best tasting ham at the local supermarket deli is actually
turkey. Really! It tastes like ham, but the ham flavor is not as
"heavy". It makes a good sandwich if you're packing a lunch for work.
Someone else suggested Subway used turkey based products because they're
cheaper. Not if the local deli prices are any indication . . . it's
about the same price as real ham, for example. -Dave

On hotmail dot com, I am user "mandrake6".

Young

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
M J wrote:

> Dave Pressley wrote:
>
> > I agree. With the exception of the meatball subs. The notch seems to hold
> > the meatballs in better so they don't fly out the back.
> > Too bad their meatballs taste like shit!
> >

> Damn - The secret's out. I suspect Blimpies will now copy their recipe.

A friend of mine moved here a few years back ... she said, the only
thing missing is that there aren't any Subway shops. Ouch! (laugh)
We don't have much in the way of Dominoes either, with good reason.

The sub shop in town makes great subs, but I have to say, their meatball
parm subs are attrocious. I eat them with a fork (not the bread, the
meatballs; disgusting, isn't it?) so I get a first hand view of just
how GRAY those meatballs are. The rest of their food is surprisingly
good, think they could make some real meatballs ever few days? geesh.

nancy

M J

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
> Yup. The best tasting ham at the local supermarket deli is actually
> turkey. Really! It tastes like ham, but the ham flavor is not as
> "heavy". It makes a good sandwich if you're packing a lunch for work.
> Someone else suggested Subway used turkey based products because they're
> cheaper. Not if the local deli prices are any indication . . . it's
> about the same price as real ham, for example.

While I usually grill a few boneless chicken breasts (marinated various
ways) on the weekend when I want chicken sandwiches for lunch during the
week, (much cheaper/lb than cold cuts and far superior), I've found that
Kretschmar has a good line of quality cold cuts - bavarian ham as an
example. They are, of course, perhaps double the price of most others.

Few sandwich places seem to offer good carved turkey, ham, or roast beef for
sandwiches anymore.
(For sure not chains)

suzn

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

<yourna...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> And why on earth should consumers have to "ask them or tell
them" NOT
> to rip them off?
>
> Subway should just STOP this dishonest, misleading practice of
> notching the bread to make it look like its got more meat in
it than
> it really does. I agree with Blue-whatever, they ain't fooling
us!

I dont think they are doing it to mislead anyone. Its just
the way they cut their bread...you're going to get the same
amount of ingredients on that sandwich regardless of the way the
bread is cut. How can they be misleading you when you are right
there watching them make your sandwich??

steve

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
Don't take this personally, but "bread-notching" sounds like a wild-ass
conspiracy theory dreamed up by someone with any irrational dislike for
Subway.

While I don't like Subway, I like "notched" bread, I've even tried it at
home. I makes the sub easier and neater to eat.

I would challenge you to do your research as opposed to citing "optical
illusion". Check the nutritional data for Subway and a couple other
national sub chains and share the results.

For me it is the poor quality and tastelessness of Subway's ingredients that
make it bad. (I would guess the meats and cheeses have a fair % of water or
oil added)

Franklin Mint

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
In article <7p6enf$1p...@enews4.newsguy.com>, Dave C.
<spamm...@slowlyandpainfully.com> wrote:

> Someone else suggested Subway used turkey based products because they're
> cheaper. Not if the local deli prices are any indication . . . it's
> about the same price as real ham, for example.

Ha ha, that's right - you're paying more money for something that
tastes like ham, but isn't. It's cheaper for the STORE, not you.

suzn

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

> Geez, how many different ways do people have to explain this??
>
> Because the way they notch the bread gives the FALSE ILLUSION
that
> Subway's sandwiches are "loaded" with meat, when in fact,
they're NOT.

> When viewed from the top (as all their TV ads show them), the
sub
> *appears* be be so super-stuffed with meat that it's spilling
out the
> sides. But that's only because of the notch gimmick. If the
bread
> were cut normally, it would be obvious that there is very
little meat
> in it. This is deceptive and misleading.
>
> Got it now?

Sure I have it...It doesn't take much effort to simply
watch the person making the sandwich. If you feel you have been
deceived then thats your problem. If you are basing your
argument on TV commercials then the argument of deception could
pertain to most anything.....how many times do you see something
on TV and think, gee how come MY burger never looks like that or
MY pizza is dripping with cheese like the one in the commercial.
Hell the food on TV commercials even has brilliant color as in
comparison to some of the garbage we actually order and eat at
these places......now do YOU get it? You cant believe everything
you see in ads......

Franklin Mint

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
In article <%fut3.782$E.1...@news.flash.net>, suzn <su...@netscape.net>
wrote:

> You can buy turkey based
> meats in the grocery store. I have no idea how it is made. I
> cant really tell much difference in the taste though but it is
> suppose to be lower in fat .......

But why eat something that is an imitation of the real thing? That
can't possibly be good for you, god knows what they use for the
flavoring. And who cares about the "low fat" content. Your body *needs*
fat, although in moderation. No one's going to lose a few pounds by
choosing to eat chemically flavored turkey. Would you also eat that
Olean stuff they use to make the "Wow" version of potato chips, etc. at
the risk of saving a few calories? Bleeahh!

suzn

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

> But why eat something that is an imitation of the real thing?
That
> can't possibly be good for you, god knows what they use for
the
> flavoring. And who cares about the "low fat" content. Your
body *needs*
> fat, although in moderation. No one's going to lose a few
pounds by
> choosing to eat chemically flavored turkey. Would you also eat
that
> Olean stuff they use to make the "Wow" version of potato
chips, etc. at
> the risk of saving a few calories? Bleeahh!

Well I dont exactly buy it for the low fat content at
Subway..I buy it coz thats the sandwich I like and it just
happens to be turkey based....and I dont buy nor eat chips....I
really value my health, my life and most important, my
figure.....:)

James Silverton

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
suzn wrote:

> <yourna...@nospam.com> wrote in message

I don't eat Subway sandwiches much but, no matter how they cut the roll,
the turkey sandwich with selected toppings is an adequately filling
low-fat meal at a not unreasonable price. So what's the gripe?

Jim.

Todd Copeland

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
"Misleading"? "Dishonest"? In what way? It's right there in front of you while
they cut it. They may be other things but I doubt you could call them dishonest
and misleading.

yourna...@nospam.com wrote:

> gward1 <gwa...@pop.mpls.uswest.net> wrote:
>
> >> Who does Subway think they're fooling? My friends, family and I all
> >> boycott Subway now due to our personal experiences with them, as
> >> follows:
> >
> >> Great sub places slice the roll horizontally, right through the middle,
> >> like normal people do; the filling in the middle, with half the bread on
> >> the bottom, half on top. Like, duh!
>

> >Like duh! Subway will cut the bread any way you want it if you
> >simply ask or tell them to.

Bob Y.

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:09:25 -0400, M J <mja...@ibm.net> wrote:

>> Been to Subways twice - neither was memorable.
>>

>I've also been there twice, but for me, it was memorable both times.

When you grew up in New London, CT, one of the two cities which claim the
invention of the Grinder/Italian Sandwich (the other is New Haven--and they've
been known to lie), eating a sandwich from the Subway or any of their ilk is a
come down. Any resemblence between what they make and a real Italian Sandwich is
purely coincidental.

Grinder
or Italian Sandwich

This type of sandwich is known by different names in different parts of the
country--Hero, Hoagie, Zeppelin, Sub, Poor boy, etc. As near as I can determine
this is the earliest version, originating in either New Haven or New London,
Connecticut. Both sides claim it was first made in their citiy. Either way, it
makes a great lunch or light supper. I am sure that someone will dispute the
point and I can't find the ref with the date the first one was supposed to have
been made by an (you guessed it) Italial immigrant.. Might make a good scholarly
paper should I go for a Master's degree in sandwiches.

1 small (8-inch) loaf of Italian or French bread
6 (at least) thin slices of cotto salami
3 (at least) thin slices of provolone cheese
olive oil
shredded lettuce
sliced tomato
salt
freshly ground black pepper
red pepper flakes (optional)

Slice the bread in half lengthwise and sprinkle the cut surfaces generously
with olive oil. Layer the salami on both sides of the cut and add the cheese,
lettuce, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with a little extra olive oil and salt and
pepper(s) to taste.

Serves one.

Although I have heard this style sandwich called a poorboy in some parts of the
country. including, Texas, it is my understanding that a real poorboy is an
oyster sandwich which originated in New Orleans.

On the subject of this type sandwich, though not found in the Grinder shops when
I was growing up, this is also better than anything you'll find at a Subway.

Hot Italian Sausage Sandwich

1 link Italian sausage (4 to 6 inch)
ž green bell pepper
2 or 3 slices onion
1 8-inch loaf of French or Italian bread
oil for frying

Coarsely chop the pepper and onion. Fry sausage until browned. Remove from pan
and drain. Add onion and pepper to pan and sauté for a few minutes. Slice
sausage into ž-inch rounds and return them to the pan. Cook until sausage is not
longer pink and the pepper and onion are soft..

Slice bread lengthwise and put the sausage, onion, and pepper mixture on it.
Serve hot.

If you want, add some chopped tomatoes or some tomato sauce to the onion and
peppers. Sliced Mozzarella or Provolone cheese goes well in this sandwich.

Makes 1 sandwich.

--
Bob Y.

Pride is a blossom of ashes. Bitter in the mouth, sharp to the nose,stinging to the eyes, and
blown away on the first wind from the mountains. Plant no pride, lest you harvest shame.
_Once a Hero_, E. Moon

Ward Stewart

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 21:58:24 -1000, tfos...@kahala.net (Jim Dompier)
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
> In article <37c8f41e.18892244@news-server>, wste...@hawaii.rr.com
>says...
>

>> On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:06:00 GMT, blu...@my-deja.com wrote:
>>
>> >Who does Subway think they're fooling? My friends, family and I all
>> >boycott Subway now due to our personal experiences with them, as
>> >follows:
>> >
>> >Great sub places slice the roll horizontally, right through the middle,
>> >like normal people do; the filling in the middle, with half the bread on
>> >the bottom, half on top. Like, duh!
>> >

>> >Subway, on the other hand, does (in our opinion) this sneaky ripoff
>> >gimmick. They take the sub roll, and cut a little V-shaped notch out of
>> >the top of the roll, then put in the filling and replace the narrow
>> >strip of bread back on top. Since the stupid little notch holds only a
>> >FRACTION of the filling that a normal sub would hold, it gives the
>> >illusion that the sub is really packed. Which in our experience and
>> >opinion it is certainly NOT.
>> >
>> >For someone who's never seen this, picture a sub with 95% percent of the
>> >bread UNDERNEATH the filling. When you bite into it, all it tastes like
>> >is a mouthful of bread (and not very good bread either), with a teeny
>> >tiny little bit of filling.
>> >
>> >We boycott Subway and so does everyone else we point out this little
>> >gimmick to. Who do they think they're kidding? LOL!
>>
>> That's the least of their sins -- I ate there once, some years ago -
>> and the soft sweet imitation rolls were hideous, soggy and nasty.
>>
>> NOTHING in the way of filling, however copious, could possibly escape
>> from that poisonous so called bread!
>>

>> ward
>
>So, you've eaten there ONCE, a number of YEARS ago?
>
>And you feel compelled to voice an opinion about Subway?
>
>Is this the method you use to form all of your opinions?
>
>gawd, I hope you don't vote!

INDEED! What would you suggest, that I purchase a series of nasty
snacks on soft white bread so as to become as expert as you? No
thanks.

As for hasty opinions, you are not doing all that badly yourself.

ward

>> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>>
>> *************************
>> Orohippus, Mesohippus, Miohippus, Protohippus, Pliohippus, Equus.
>> Evolution is just a theory. So is gravity.
>> *************************

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short
one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God
granted it."

- Voltaire (from a private letter written in May, 1767)

suzn

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

Ward Stewart <wste...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message

> INDEED! What would you suggest, that I purchase a series of
nasty
> snacks on soft white bread so as to become as expert as you?
No
> thanks.
>
> As for hasty opinions, you are not doing all that badly
yourself.

> ward

Well dang...theres the problem, try the wheat bread next
time...its much better than white..:)

M J

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

> 1 small (8-inch) loaf of Italian or French bread
> 6 (at least) thin slices of cotto salami
> 3 (at least) thin slices of provolone cheese
> olive oil
> shredded lettuce
> sliced tomato
> salt
> freshly ground black pepper
> red pepper flakes (optional)
>
> Slice the bread in half lengthwise and sprinkle the cut surfaces generously
> with olive oil. Layer the salami on both sides of the cut and add the cheese,
> lettuce, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with a little extra olive oil and salt and
> pepper(s) to taste.
>
> Serves one.

Sounds simple, but obviously the quality of the ingredients, particularly the bread, is critical
to making a great grinder (sub, etc).

When I lived in NJ years ago, I frequented a particular small family-owned Italian market in
Milburn (since out of business) that would prepare a sub as you mention, but they would use an
imported provolone which was a bit more sharp and of a harder consistency than typical American
provolone. I gained many pounds on these items of perfection.

M J

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

suzn wrote:

Cute - rofl

Alan Zelt

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
"Bob Y." wrote:

> [...]

> Coarsely chop the pepper and onion. Fry sausage until browned. Remove from pan
> and drain. Add onion and pepper to pan and sauté for a few minutes. Slice
> sausage into ź-inch rounds and return them to the pan. Cook until sausage is not

> longer pink and the pepper and onion are soft..
>
> Slice bread lengthwise and put the sausage, onion, and pepper mixture on it.
> Serve hot.
>
> If you want, add some chopped tomatoes or some tomato sauce to the onion and
> peppers. Sliced Mozzarella or Provolone cheese goes well in this sandwich.
>
> Makes 1 sandwich.
>
> --
> Bob Y.
>
> Pride is a blossom of ashes. Bitter in the mouth, sharp to the nose,stinging to the eyes, and
> blown away on the first wind from the mountains. Plant no pride, lest you harvest shame.

so, how are the pickins in West Texas?? <G>
--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the
people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Bob Ward

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

yourna...@nospam.com wrote in message
<37c3e827...@news1.lig.bellsouth.net>...

>"suzn" <su...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>> Subway should just STOP this dishonest, misleading practice of
>>> notching the bread to make it look like its got more meat in
>>it than it really does. I agree with Blue-whatever, they ain't fooling
>>us!
>>
>> I dont think they are doing it to mislead anyone. Its just
>>the way they cut their bread...you're going to get the same
>>amount of ingredients on that sandwich regardless of the way the
>>bread is cut. How can they be misleading you when you are right
>>there watching them make your sandwich??
>
>Geez, how many different ways do people have to explain this??
>
>Because the way they notch the bread gives the FALSE ILLUSION that
>Subway's sandwiches are "loaded" with meat, when in fact, they're NOT.
>
> When viewed from the top (as all their TV ads show them), the sub
>*appears* be be so super-stuffed with meat that it's spilling out the
>sides. But that's only because of the notch gimmick. If the bread
>were cut normally, it would be obvious that there is very little meat
>in it. This is deceptive and misleading.
>
>Got it now?

Sorry, but I disagree. You can SEE the amount of meat and lettuce, cheese,
etc that they are putting on the sandwich. There is NO DECEPTION, except in
your mind, apparently. I prefer the notch method, because the fillings
don't slide out when you try to eat the sandwich.

Mondoray

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
Bob Y knows what he's talking about!

bazookajoe

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
I went in to a Subway today and order a Veggie 6". I asked them to cut it length
wise, but they said that's not the way they do it. I will try another Subway
before I make a final judgement.

John

Chad Robinson

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
Every time I eat at Subway I get the trots. It's a four alarm fire while I
hustle home to the porcelain throne.

No subway for this cowboy.

CMcE

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:06:00 GMT, blu...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Who does Subway think they're fooling?

This method of slicing bread keeps the stuffing from sliding out all
over the place.
If you don't like th amount of filling they provide, ask for extra.
The sandwiches are cheap and extra meat/cheese is not that expensive.
When I get a sandwich sliced horizontally, the innards end up all over
my hands. yuck.
--

Carol McE
"An armed society is a polite society"

Soul Surgeon

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
My sister used to work at a Subway. She said the owner was super cheap
and recycled veggies right out of the trash.

Charles Demas

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
In article <150819990328289804%r...@worker.DELETE.com>,
Franklin Mint <r...@worker.DELETE.com> wrote:
>In article <rQtt3.776$E.1...@news.flash.net>, suzn <su...@netscape.net>
>wrote:
>
>> Its not a "secret".....its a known fact coz its posted on the
>> menu and its suppose to be healthier than ham, salami and
>> whatever.......
>
>Also, I'm sure that Subway dosn't do this because they have your "good
>health" in mind. I suspect they use turkey-based meats because it's
>cheaper for them.

Well, duh!!! What a surprise.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Chad Robinson <cspe...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:7p7ung$9ol$1...@fir.prod.itd.earthlink.net...

> Every time I eat at Subway I get the trots. It's a four alarm fire while I
> hustle home to the porcelain throne.
>
> No subway for this cowboy.

Wimp!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
MSch...@nospam.carolina.rr.com

Angelique

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 07:47:07 GMT, "suzn" <su...@netscape.net> wrote:

>You can buy turkey based
>meats in the grocery store. I have no idea how it is made. I
>cant really tell much difference in the taste though but it is
>suppose to be lower in fat .......

I've noticed a trend that *all* packaged coldcuts at the supermarket
are at least partly turkey or chicken. To get lunchmeat made entirely
of pork or beef you have to go to the supermarket deli counter or to a
regular deli or butcher shop. This is a good idea, anyway, because
there are a lot of local sausage manufactuers that are better than the
big chains, anyway.

Angelique

Terence P Higgins

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
From article <150819990136283526%r...@worker.DELETE.com>, by Franklin Mint <r...@worker.DELETE.com>:
> Guys, that is nothing - did you know that the "ham", "salami", etc. is
all turkey-based? When you order ham at Subway, you're basically
getting "ham flavored" turkey, not the real thing!

I fail to see how this can be such a big secret when it says right
on the menu board "turkey-based."
--
it's such a sad old feeling
the fields are soft and green

TheMiz

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Not too sure they are cheap!

I can't get out of Subway less than $5 or $6 per Sub!

In my Area Extra Meat and Cheese for a footlong is $2 can't seem to
bring my self to pay $7 or $8 per Sub!

Cheers

George

CMcE wrote:

Order on the Internet

Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial/junk/spam e-mail
WILL be charged a US$500 proof-reading fee. Do NOT send unsolicited
advertisements and do NOT
add my e-mail address to your list(s):

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the
definition of a telephone
fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By Sec.
227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the
aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover actual monetary
loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

Todd Copeland

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Please post the headers to the e-mail you recieved. Without them, the e-mail
is suspect.

blu...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I received the following unsolicited and uninvited email from a
> Mr. Charles Wagner-McLeod, who identifies himself as a member of Subway
> management. This unsolicited email is apparently Subway's way of dealing
> with publicly aired questions regarding their policies:
>
> On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 19:18:29 Charles Wagner-McLeod wrote me this
> email:
>
> >I read your Usenet posting about bread notching rip-off. Without
> >question, yours is the most childish, unreasoned, absurd and
> >uneducated position on the topic I have ever read. Among intelligent
> >people, debates are conducted with logic and civility, not insult and
> >lack of information. Your posting has all the hallmarks of a fanatic up
> >on his soap box, preaching to the pigeons. If you are going to
> >participate in the forum in the future, please learn something from the
> >rest of us: reason, polite discourse and careful thought are the only
> >kinds of behavior that will be tolerated in our group. If you can't
> >master those disciplines, I suggest you find yourself another
> >cadre of narrow-minded reactionaries to torture. Basically, smart up or
> >stay out!.
>
> Well folks, so far this Subway manager has, in less than a 3-hour
> period, done the following:
>
> 1) insulted and badmouthed Burger King, McDonalds and other fast food
> restaurants instead of addressing the issue at hand;
>
> 2) admitted that he thinks embellishing "facts" and misrepresenting used
> cars in order to sell them is okay
>
> 3) insulted and threatened a customer who dared raise questions about
> Subway's business practices and last but not least;
>
> 4) claimed to OWN usenet and dictate what and where people can post.
>
> LOL!
>
> p.s. And what's with this guy's bizarre reference to torturing people??

Rick Stricker

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Baloney. The turkey-based products are labeled as such. If it
ain't labeled as a turkey product, then it ain't one.

It's just that simple.

Franklin Mint wrote in message <150819990326503872%r...@worker.DELETE.com>...

>In article <rQtt3.776$E.1...@news.flash.net>, suzn <su...@netscape.net>
>wrote:
>
>> Its not a "secret".....its a known fact coz its posted on the
>> menu
>

>I've never seen this openly acknowledged at any Subway shops...
>defintely not at the one I used to go to.

>> suppose to be healthier than ham, salami and
>> whatever.......
>

>What is used to flavor the turkey though? That's what I want to know...
>I'd prefer to take my chances and go with the real thing rather than
>artificially flavored turkey.

Rick Stricker

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Maybe at *your* supermarket, but not at most. It it don't say turkey,
then it's not turkey. If you find out otherwise, warn them about truth
in labeling laws.

Dave C. wrote in message <7p6enf$1p...@enews4.newsguy.com>...
>Yup. The best tasting ham at the local supermarket deli is actually
>turkey. Really! It tastes like ham, but the ham flavor is not as
>"heavy". It makes a good sandwich if you're packing a lunch for work.

>Someone else suggested Subway used turkey based products because they're
>cheaper. Not if the local deli prices are any indication . . . it's

>about the same price as real ham, for example. -Dave
>
>On hotmail dot com, I am user "mandrake6".
>
>suzn wrote in message news:%fut3.782$E.1...@news.flash.net...
>> Its posted at any of the Subway shops I go to.... I normally
>> get the "cold cut combo" and it states on the menu that it is
>> "turkey based" meat. You can buy turkey based

Rick Stricker

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Besides, if the notch-cutting was such a surprise to him (the original
poster), then he's an idiot. It doesn't take more than the brains of a
turnip to know that the notch cut doesn't hold as much filling.

Subway isn't trying to FOOL anyone. Only a FOOL would fail to
catch on to the reality of the situation.

We're talking about Subway here, NOT the Four Seasons. If you
can't keep these things in perspective there's no hope for you.

>> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>>

>> *************************
>> Orohippus, Mesohippus, Miohippus, Protohippus, Pliohippus, Equus.
>> Evolution is just a theory. So is gravity.
>> *************************
>>

>--
>
>__**__
> **
>Jim Dompier
>http://www.islandshades.com
>
>** My email address has been foiled to avoid spam. **
>
>** The older you get, the better you realize you were.**

Franklin Mint

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
In article <37b86...@bypass.i2k.net>, Rick Stricker
<webm...@web-slingers.com> wrote:

> Baloney. The turkey-based products are labeled as such. If it
> ain't labeled as a turkey product, then it ain't one.
> It's just that simple.

It's not labeled ANYWHERE at the Subway shops in NYC - I've never seen
that written on any signs. Your local Sbway shop may be different, so
don't assume it's the same everywhere you go.

Dave C.

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
First, I read that Subway's ham is actually turkey. Now Rick says that
Subway's turkey is labelled Baloney?!? So what's the Baloney at Subway
. . . scrod? :) -Dave

On hotmail dot com, I am user "mandrake6".

Doug Srock

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
I ate at the local Subway once.

It was a chinsy sandwich made from stale bread, wilted lettuce, sour
tomatoes, slimy baloney, and tough hard cheese that had been left
sitting on the counter.

I found a local non-franchised sandwich shop that loves my money.

Besides, who ever heard of Baloney on an Italian Sub. YUK!!!

I used to work for Blimpie years ago. I will tell you the trick to
getting a better tasting sandwich there. Tell them you want fresh cut
meat. Don't let them sell you those precut slabs of refrigerated dry
garbage. Most will do the fresh cut for you if you ask nice. If they
don't turn around and start walking toward the door. They'll start
cutting before you hit the door.

A fresh cut sandwich won't be as dry, will have more flavor and
will be bigger because the air hasn't been smashed out of everything.

Also count the slices as they place them on the sandwich.
The formula when I worked there was

On a 6"

2 slices of each large meat
4 slices on the smaller meats like peparroni
2 slices of each cheese.
2 or 3 tomato slices depending on the size
Onions enough to cover, same with lettuce
3 fingers on the hot - cold peppers
A couple of shakes on the seasoning

Bigger byte got you twice as much meat.

The meat should be cut thick enough that you can't see through it.
Thin cutting is another rip-off I've seen some sandwich shops use.

Make sure they don't cheat you. About five years ago I got a Blimpie
Franchiser thrown out because he was selling sandwiches with less meat
than the formula and using lousy off brand meats, some of which were
out of date. Blimpie Corporation investigated him and shut him down
cold.

Though it did take some major persistence to find someone in Blimpie
Corporate who would return the call and speak to me at the time. I got
a return call when I left a message telling them that I had just
called the Health Department and the local consumer TV reporter on one
of their stores.

Bob Ward

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Matt Conrad wrote in message <37b8cc83....@news.kiva.net>...

>On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 19:13:06 -0500, Bruce or Tracy
><blja...@hiwaay.net> wrote:
>
>>It costs a little more, I believe, but Blimpies (at least near our
>>house)
>>cuts the bread horizontal and dumps loads of stuff between the slices.

>>Been to Subways twice - neither was memorable.
>
>As usual, you get what you pay for....
>
>My personal gripe about Subway is that sometimes they'll use bread
>that's a little less than fresh.
>
>MWC

I've never known this to be the case - especially since they bake the bread
fresh on the premises several times a day.

Rick Stricker

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Sheesh. Where do you people get this stuff?

"Baloney" is another way of telling you you're wrong. I didn't say
that Subway's turkey is labeled Baloney".

Rick Stricker

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
If it's a franchise store, then it's the same.

Franklin Mint wrote in message <160819991738078330%r...@worker.DELETE.com>...

>In article <37b86...@bypass.i2k.net>, Rick Stricker
><webm...@web-slingers.com> wrote:
>

>> Baloney. The turkey-based products are labeled as such. If it
>> ain't labeled as a turkey product, then it ain't one.
>> It's just that simple.

Rick Stricker

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Only a naive beginner would think they're being taken advantage of.
The physics are obvious to all but the stupid or blind.

balderdash@ .com wrote in message <37ebb464....@news.bezeqint.net>...
>decophile...@pipeline.com (Decophile) wrote:
>
>>as far as notching the bread, big deal.
>
>As long as you don't mind being taken advantage of, sure, big deal.
>
>>As stated elsewhere in this thread,
>>at least everything doesn`t fall into your lap when eating it.
>
>The other alternative being...learning table manners?
>
>>Granted, if you want a decent sandwich, you have to order "double"
>>meat and $7 may sound a bit steep,
>
>It sure is! Why don't they just put enough meat in it in the first
>place?

suzn

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Rick Stricker <webm...@web-slingers.com> wrote in message

> Sheesh. Where do you people get this stuff?
>
> "Baloney" is another way of telling you you're wrong. I
didn't say
> that Subway's turkey is labeled Baloney".

I believe that was a bit of sarcasm there Rick.....some of
you people are just a bit too serious....Lighten up, surely you
must know when someone is joking....

Not a Chance in hell

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 22:32:10 GMT, dsr...@shire.net (Doug Srock) wrote:

[snip]

>Though it did take some major persistence to find someone in Blimpie
>Corporate who would return the call and speak to me at the time. I got
>a return call when I left a message telling them that I had just
>called the Health Department and the local consumer TV reporter on one
>of their stores.

Hmm, seems like Doug likes to cause trouble! =) Hope I never piss him
off.

Virginia Tadrzynski

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
I have a Subway near here (Coopersburg, PA) and their sandwiches seem okay,
however I still cannot get the franchise in Rockingham, NC out of my mind.
The gum poppin' "waitperson" took an order for a seafood hoagie. Mind you,
she had these outrageously long decorated finger nails. While she cut the
roll, she lopped off one of the nails and in it popped into the seafood
salad. She looked, popped her gum, took the spoon and mixed the salad a
little bit and continued making the salad. Needless to say, I can't help
but think of this whenever I go in a Subway and I NEVUH, AH SAYS NEVUH order
seafood salad.
-Ginny
Decophile <decophile...@pipeline.com> wrote in message
> You can nit-pic Subway all you want, but every time I go there, the
> people are always polite, they always wash their hands before making
> my order and their sandwiches not only taste good, they actually look
> good.
<snip>

> Gene

suzn

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Virginia Tadrzynski <ta...@early.com> wrote in message

> I have a Subway near here (Coopersburg, PA) and their
sandwiches seem okay,
> however I still cannot get the franchise in Rockingham, NC out
of my mind.
> The gum poppin' "waitperson" took an order for a seafood
hoagie. Mind you,
> she had these outrageously long decorated finger nails. While
she cut the
> roll, she lopped off one of the nails and in it popped into
the seafood
> salad. She looked, popped her gum, took the spoon and mixed
the salad a
> little bit and continued making the salad. Needless to say, I
can't help
> but think of this whenever I go in a Subway and I NEVUH, AH
SAYS NEVUH order
> seafood salad.
> -Ginny

LOL... I think she use to work at the Subway I go to before
they started making them wear gloves....I can just imagine what
all was hiding under those 3 inch nails........

Rick Stricker

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
I can recognize a joke as well as the next guy, but that
looked serious!

Goom

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <37b722c2...@news.wcc.net>,
rdy...@wcc.net wrote:
> Although I have heard this style sandwich called a poorboy in some
parts of the
> country. including, Texas, it is my understanding that a real poorboy
is an
> oyster sandwich which originated in New Orleans.

Its "Po'Boy" or "PoBoy." New Orleanians do love their PoBoys and they
are a treat to behold should you ever find yourself there, among a
thousand other culinary treats mostly or completely unique to southern
Louisiana.

The ultimate sandwich in NO has got to be a "Debris" sandwich from
Mothers, located (if memory serves) at the corner of Poydras and
Tchoupitoulas a few blocks north of the river. Be prepared to wait in
line.

One interesting thing about NO is that you can get a PoBoy just about
anywhere. There is a gas station/convenience store chain around the NO
area called "Danny and Clydes" which has a full-blown PoBoy counter in
every store. I was quite fond of the place for quick dinner trips on
weekdays. Not the best PoBoy in the city but not bad. The fried
shrimp PoBoy, "dressed" and doused with hot sauce seemed to be the
favorite among the natives.

One thing that northerners need to get used to is that in New Orleans,
a roast beef sandwich implies hot, thinly sliced roast beef absolutely
swimming in gravy. If one wanted a cold, sliced roast beef sub (ala
Subway or most northern sub shops)in New Orleans I would be clueless as
to where to point them.

There was, to the best of my knowledge, only one Subway in Metairie.
It was dead every time I drove by it. The one Arbys was also always
dead as they do not serve roast beef the way New Orleanians like it.

Regards,
J. Stephen

For technical, internet-related queries, please forward your questions
to vice-pr...@whitehouse.gov.
--
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous,
he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between

Goom

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <25699-37...@newsd-123.bryant.webtv.net>,

SoulS...@webtv.net (Soul Surgeon) wrote:
> My sister used to work at a Subway. She said the owner was super cheap
> and recycled veggies right out of the trash.

Back when I was in restaurants, it was a running joke that Subway sold
a franchise to "anyone with $70,000 and a pulse." From my
observations, this appeared to be relatively true. The upside of
Subway is that they get alot of franchises open in a short amount of
time, especially considering their low startup costs. For a couple of
years there they were the fastest growing fast food chain and have
outdistanced everyone except McDonalds in total units. The bad news is
that there is very little control over the franchises (Taco Bell has
this problem as well) and you end up with alot of units where no one
gives a rat's ass about quality and food handling safety.

Regards,
J. Stephen

Goom

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <150819990136283526%r...@worker.DELETE.com>,
Franklin Mint <r...@worker.DELETE.com> wrote:

> Guys, that is nothing - did you know that the "ham", "salami", etc. is
> all turkey-based? When you order ham at Subway, you're basically
> getting "ham flavored" turkey, not the real thing!

Franklin, I don't believe this is true unless they have changed things
in the last couple of years. They have a sandwich called a "Cold Cut
Combo" which features turkey-based Ham, Bologna, and Salami but the
fact that these meats are turkey-based is stated clearly on the menu
board. The ham they use for the ham sub is totally different and, last
time I checked, real water-packed ham.

As for the question of how low-fat the turkey cold cuts are, they are
not at all the lowest fat subs on the menu. The turkey and ham subs
are the lowest on the menu. The CCC is kind of in the middle of the
pack.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

> I got nauseated at a Georgia Taco Bell once when a woman there, with
> 2" nails, came back from the bathroom and started making my burrito. I
> thought about her trying to wipe her butt, (obviously ineffectually,
> with those fingernails getting in the way), lost my appetitte and
> walked out.

The "Secret Sauce"?

Trish

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

@, . wrote:

> >I got nauseated at a Georgia Taco Bell once when a woman there,
> >with 2" nails, came back from the bathroom and started making
> >my burrito. I thought about her trying to wipe her butt, (obviously
> >ineffectually, with those fingernails getting in the way), lost
> >my appetitte and walked out.
>

> Think about it. Yeah, really THINK about it, gross as it is...there is
> NO WAY these women could possibly keep their hands totally clean while
> trying to wipe up after defecating. Even a quick little rinse in the
> sink (which they're required to do, but probably don't) wouldn't come
> close to cleaning out particles of feces lodged under those huge
> scoops.
>
> Then, they come back from the bathroom and start scooping up handfuls
> of refried beans and cheese, stuff in into a taco and serve it to
> you....Urrrg, gak!

And I bet women from the south are the only ones with long nails.Right.I
can't help but wonder if this really happened or if this is just an excuse
to insult southern women and create a controversy.A lot of us aren't
biting.

--

Message has been deleted

The Fisher's

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
I'm getting in on the tail end of this thread so I haven't read the whole
thing. However, from what I see here I will respond.

I'm from the south and it may or may not be correct that southern women are
obsessed with long fingernails. But, I live in the north now and I can
honestly say that I see more dirty, low income people up here than I ever
saw in the south. At least southern women keep their fingernails clean.

Debbie

<@ .> wrote in message news:37bc0f88...@news1.lig.bellsouth.net...
> illy...@aol.com (Illyria76) wrote:
> >>Lower class/income southern women are
>
> >whoa. that was pretty close-minded.
>
> What you really mean is that is wasn't "politically correct".
>
> But true nonetheless.

M. Emily Cummins

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
lig.bellsouth.net>:
: Aww, YUCK!!
: But, that's the South for ya. Lower class/income southern women are
: all obsessed with long fingernails, and many seem to spend half their
: paychecks at nail salons.

I am from the South, and I don't know anyone who does the long-fingernail
thing. I think your few examples represent a dying breed. Now, the place
where this fad continues to grow is in New York and New Jersey.
Physician, heal thyself.

Emily

--

George Washington University | BA '95, Wake Forest University
Political Science Department | "Dear Old Wake Forest,

* * * WAKE FOREST DEMON DEACONS - 1995 and 1996 ACC CHAMPS !!! * * *

cariadai

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
TROLL TROLL!!!!
<ghost @ .com> wrote in message

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" <ta...@early.com> wrote:
> >I have a Subway near here (Coopersburg, PA) and their sandwiches seem
okay,
> >however I still cannot get the franchise in Rockingham, NC out of my
mind.
> >The gum poppin' "waitperson" took an order for a seafood hoagie. Mind
you,
> >she had these outrageously long decorated finger nails. While she cut
the
> >roll, she lopped off one of the nails and in it popped into the seafood
> >salad. She looked, popped her gum, took the spoon and mixed the salad a
> >little bit and continued making the salad. Needless to say, I can't help
> >but think of this whenever I go in a Subway and I NEVUH, AH SAYS NEVUH
order
> >seafood salad.
>
> Aww, YUCK!!
>
> But, that's the South for ya. Lower class/income southern women are
> all obsessed with long fingernails, and many seem to spend half their
> paychecks at nail salons.

suzn

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

cariadai <sp...@blahblah.com> wrote in message
> TROLL TROLL!!!!

You dont get out much, do you????

cariadai

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
excuse me?
suzn <su...@netscape.net> wrote in message

suzn

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

<seymou...@scornedwoman.het> wrote in message
> "cariadai" <sp...@blahblah.com> whined:
> >excuse me?
>
> >> cariadai <sp...@blahblah.com> squealed:

> >> You dont get out much, do you????
>
> What she means is that jumping up and down, pointing and
screaming
> "Troll, Troll!" is behavior typical of clueless newbies who
need to
> get a life.

Ummmm.... yep that pretty much sums it up.....:)

suzn

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

cariadai <sp...@blahblah.com> wrote in message
> TROLL TROLL!!!!

TROLLS
Recently, all of the alt.discuss newsgroups (NGs) have been
under attack
by a group of "trolls".

WHAT IS A "TROLL"?

SOME SIGNS THAT A POSTER IS A TROLL

HOW TO BEAT A TROLL

WHAT IS A TROLL?
Well, in a nut-shell, a TROLL is someone who constantly disrupts
a NG
for no reason other than just because they CAN. They will often
post
off-topic, and attack members of the NG that have done nothing
provoke them. The troll will then often try to make it look like
the NG
member had attacked THEM. They will constantly refer to posts
made by
that member in which the member had "flamed" them (verabally
attacked
them in the NG). What they naturally fail to ALSO say is that
the posts
are in RESPONSE to a flame originated by the troll himself.

SOME SIGNS THAT A POSTER IS A TROLL:
The troll will often re-arrange the nickname of another poster,
in order
to mock them.They will also constantly point out spelling errors
in
posts. When responding to a post, they will often include some
or all of
that post and respond to it line-by-line.The troll will complain
about
how the entire NG is always "picking on them".The troll rarely,
if ever,
contributes to the NG itself.They will often call for the NG to
"get
back on topic" while constantly posting to off-topic threads in
order to
keep them going.You will also notice that a troll will respond
to nearly
every poster in a thread individually. Rather than reading the
entire
thread, then adding their view, they will click a post, respond,
then go
to the next and do it again, EVEN if they are stating the same
thing
over and over again. A troll will often lurk for awhile to get
the
"feel" of the NG, so they can know just which "buttons" to push.
They
will single out one or two people whom they think they can
intimidate,
then harrass them to the point of leaving the NG. That done,
they will
"calm down" for awhile, then attack someone else.

HOW TO BEAT A TROLL:
Unfortunately, there is only ONE sure way to beat a troll, and
that is
to IGNORE them. A troll "feeds" off of the chaos he wreaks in a
NG. If
he can get even a single person to respond to him, he will be
happy.
Once he gets the first "victim", it is only a matter of time
until he
suckers someone else into the arguement. He will turn the NG on
its ear
and make it so that the ONLY topic of real discussion is HIM and
what HE
is posting, instead of the proper topic for that NG. Posters
that
respond to trolls, or constantly post threads asking OTHERS to
ignore
the trolls wind up doing the dirty work FOR the troll, even
though their
intentions are exactly the opposite. By posting to these
threads, you
only keep the off-topic threads going, and the troll's name at
the top
of the NG, which is EXACTLY what he wants!

Bottom line, to kill a troll, IGNORE him!!

A troll that can't incite you has no power and WILL eventually
move on.
For those that have a hard time NOT responding to trolls, your
best
defense is to NEVER click on a post with the trolls name on it.
Once you
have identified someone as a troll, bypass their posts from then
on and
don't even read them,

REGARDLESS
of what you see in the subject heading! If you want your NG to
stay
on-topic, you have to make an effort to KEEP it that way. And
sometimes,
the best way to do that is to do
"NOTHING AT ALL".

cariadai

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
ok good - today just became the worst day so far this year

Franklin Mint

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <7pcvl1$tkb$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Goom <go...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Franklin, I don't believe this is true unless they have changed things
> in the last couple of years.

It was about 3 years ago and there was NO sign!
Sheesh, I don't understand why everyone feels the need to argue with
me. Some stores have the sign, while others don't. My store didn't. Why
is that so hard to believe??

Franklin Mint

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <37bacefc...@news1.lig.bellsouth.net>, < @> wrote:

> But, that's the South for ya. Lower class/income southern women are

> all obsessed with long fingernails, and may spend half their paychecks
> at nail salons.

Why don't you just come out and say "black women" already?
btw - this fingernail thing is not only limited to the south - go into
any fast food joint in NYC and you'll get fingernails.

Franklin Mint

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <Sfwu3.1093$a4.9...@typ12.nn.bcandid.com>, The Fisher's
<fisher@> wrote:

> But, I live in the north now and I can
> honestly say that I see more dirty, low income people up here than I ever
> saw in the south.

Yeah, poor people suck. ;-)

suzn

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

> ok good - today just became the worst day so far this year

Naw....we didn't mean any harm.....:) I'm sorry...we were
just playin with you....

Goom

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <180819991431220335%r...@worker.DELETE.com>,

Franklin Mint <r...@worker.DELETE.com> wrote:
> In article <7pcvl1$tkb$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Goom <go...@my-deja.com>
wrote:
> It was about 3 years ago and there was NO sign!
> Sheesh, I don't understand why everyone feels the need to argue with
> me. Some stores have the sign, while others don't. My store didn't.
Why
> is that so hard to believe??

Because I have worked for Subway (although, admittedly it was in 1989)
and have many years of experience in the franchised restaurant industry
and it just doesn't sound kosher to me. For one thing, the menu boards
that Subways post in their stores are not fabricated in the back by the
franchisee with a piece of craft paper and a magic marker, they are
purchased directly from corporate HQ and adhere to standards. As such,
it strikes us as odd that all the stores in the localities we are from
advise that the Cold Cut Combo is made from turkey-based meats while
the signs in your area do not.

Franklin, I'm not calling you a liar, I am just inclined to believe
that you are mistaken. On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't be
flabbergasted if you were proven to be correct.

We'll settle this. To what specific Subway are you referring?

dlb

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
: >>seafood salad.
: >But, that's the South for ya. Lower class/income southern women are

: >all obsessed with long fingernails, and may spend half their paychecks
: >at nail salons.
: >

: But not before they`ve recovered from the whisky breakfast consumed
: while waiting to be next in line to lock their kids in the car and
: drive them into a lake.

Come on, get with the times. These days they lock them in the car
when it's 100 degrees outside to kill them.

(Tis true...it's happened twice this summer in Lexington alone)

--
Please do not email me at this address as everything is automatically
deleted. Mail to d...@pop.uky.edu instead.

M J

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

> this fingernail thing is not only limited to the south - go into
> any fast food joint in NYC and you'll get fingernails.

In the seafood salad or on the side?

suzn

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

> btw - this fingernail thing is not only limited to the south -

go into
> any fast food joint in NYC and you'll get fingernails.

I knew there was a reason I didnt visit NYC....they have
some strange items on their menu :)

Franklin Mint

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <7pfchp$msv$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Goom <go...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> We'll settle this. To what specific Subway are you referring?

This was about 3 years ago - Subway on E.23rd Street in NYC.

suzn

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

> >: But not before they`ve recovered from the whisky breakfast
consumed
> >: while waiting to be next in line to lock their kids in the
car and
> >: drive them into a lake.
> >
> >Come on, get with the times. These days they lock them in
the car
> >when it's 100 degrees outside to kill them.
>
> That`s lower class/income southern women for ya. Always behind
the
> times when killing their kids in locked cars.

Now they just stabbed em to death in their sleep in their
upper class home and cry that an intruder did it......

Kris in Philly

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:12:33 GMT, decophile...@pipeline.com
(Decophile) wrote:

>>:On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:31:36 GMT, ghost @ .com wrote:
>>:

>>:>"Virginia Tadrzynski" <ta...@early.com> wrote:
>>:>>I have a Subway near here (Coopersburg, PA) and their sandwiches seem okay,
>>:>>however I still cannot get the franchise in Rockingham, NC out of my mind.
>>:>>The gum poppin' "waitperson" took an order for a seafood hoagie. Mind you,
>>:>>she had these outrageously long decorated finger nails. While she cut the
>>:>>roll, she lopped off one of the nails and in it popped into the seafood
>>:>>salad. She looked, popped her gum, took the spoon and mixed the salad a
>>:>>little bit and continued making the salad. Needless to say, I can't help
>>:>>but think of this whenever I go in a Subway and I NEVUH, AH SAYS NEVUH order
>>:>>seafood salad.
>>:>
>>:>Aww, YUCK!!

>>:>
>>:>But, that's the South for ya. Lower class/income southern women are

>>:>all obsessed with long fingernails, and may spend half their paychecks
>>:>at nail salons.
>>:>
>>:

>>:But not before they`ve recovered from the whisky breakfast consumed

>>:while waiting to be next in line to lock their kids in the car and
>>:drive them into a lake.

>>:
>>:sheesh!
>>:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kris in Philly

Kris in Philly

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
On 18 Aug 1999 20:14:32 GMT, d...@sac.uky.edu (dlb) wrote:

>>:: >>seafood salad.
>>:: >But, that's the South for ya. Lower class/income southern women are

>>:: >all obsessed with long fingernails, and may spend half their paychecks
>>:: >at nail salons.
>>:: >
>>:
>>:: But not before they`ve recovered from the whisky breakfast consumed
>>:: while waiting to be next in line to lock their kids in the car and
>>:: drive them into a lake.
>>:

>>:Come on, get with the times. These days they lock them in the car

>>:when it's 100 degrees outside to kill them.

>>:
>>:(Tis true...it's happened twice this summer in Lexington alone)

>>:
>>:--
>>:Please do not email me at this address as everything is automatically
>>:deleted. Mail to d...@pop.uky.edu instead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kris in Philly

the Wicked Witch

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
seymou...@scornedwoman.het wrote:

> "cariadai" <sp...@blahblah.com> whined:
> >excuse me?
>
> >> cariadai <sp...@blahblah.com> squealed:

> >> You dont get out much, do you????
>
> What she means is that jumping up and down, pointing and screaming
> "Troll, Troll!" is behavior typical of clueless newbies who need to
> get a life.

Clueless newbies, sometimes, but often overzealous regulars, too...

--
~the Wicked Witch
"Oh, well of course - *everything* looks bad if you remember it!"

LeoKatie

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99

>: Aww, YUCK!!

>: But, that's the South for ya. Lower class/income southern women are
>: all obsessed with long fingernails, and many seem to spend half their
>: paychecks at nail salons.

Oh ya, really. Just like all Southerners are barefoot, living in the mountains
or on plantations (complete with slaves), eat grits all day long, and have a
hound named Beauregard....jeezlouise.

--=--=--K a t i e --=--=--

Message has been deleted

Kris in Philly

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:38:47 GMT, "suzn" <su...@netscape.net> wrote:

>>:
>>:Franklin Mint <r...@worker.DELETE.com> wrote in message

>>:
>>:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kris in Philly

sparky

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
i beg to differ but my mother invented those .

LogJam

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
Actually, you're all wrong.

What you must try to remember is that the world includes other countries,
and they too have a north and a south.

Knock down your walls, open your outlook.

The Fisher's <fisher@ michweb.net> wrote in message

> I'm getting in on the tail end of this thread so I haven't read the whole
> thing. However, from what I see here I will respond.
>
> I'm from the south and it may or may not be correct that southern women
are

> obsessed with long fingernails. But, I live in the north now and I can

> honestly say that I see more dirty, low income people up here than I ever

> saw in the south. At least southern women keep their fingernails clean.
>
> Debbie

Caroline

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
No offense, but this thread is getting really screwed up. I take offense at
the comments that "poor women" or "poor southern women" have dirty long
finger nails. I'm not rich & I'm rather obsessed w/ keeping my nails short &
clean. I think the comment about black women is offensive as well.
Sterotypes suck!

That said, let's just say it's gross when anyone doesn't wear gloves when
they cook, period! My father is obsessed w/ this. When we pass gourmet
cooking segments on TV, he freaks when so-called four star cooks use their
bare hands in their food & often don't even remove their jewelry. Do u want
the same ring (with all its trappings) that went to the can in your food?
Hair nets are a pet peeve of his too. I can't say I blame him after taking a
course in microbiology although it doesn't take a course to get just plain
gross.

McInnis L. Gaetjens

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
I am from New Orleans Louisiana and a lot of the lower class women here
do have long finger nails i am not to sya they are obsessed with them
but a lot of them do have long fingernails in the fast food places
vcard.vcf

Goom

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
In article <180819991919557545%r...@worker.DELETE.com>,

Well, I'm annoying that way so I gave them a call. The store is at 32
E. 23rd. I spoke with the manager and he was very helpful. He has not
worked at that store for the last 3 years (only 4 1/2 months) but he
has worked for Subway for the last 3+ years.

The ham that goes on both the ham, and ham and turkey subs is real pork
ham (Oscar Mayer brand). The meats that go on the "Cold Cut Trio",
formally known as the "Cold Cut Combo", are turkey based (ham, salami,
and bologna) and that fact is stated in plain view on their menu board.
To his knowledge it has always been that way.

Kris in Philly

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:04:29 -0500, "McInnis L. Gaetjens"
<mcin...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>:This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>>:--------------85FC9FE8C58138C45B3741C1
>>:
>>:I am from New Orleans Louisiana and a lot of the lower class women here

>>:--------------85FC9FE8C58138C45B3741C1
>>:
>>:begin: vcard
>>:fn: McInnis Gaetjens
>>:n: Gaetjens;McInnis
>>:org: M.L. Gaetjens & C0.
>>:adr: ;;;New Orleans;La;;Usa
>>:email;internet: mcin...@bellsouth.net
>>:title: Owner
>>:note: http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1053/index.html
>>:x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
>>:x-mozilla-html: FALSE
>>:version: 2.1
>>:end: vcard
>>:
>>:
>>:--------------85FC9FE8C58138C45B3741C1--
>>:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kris in Philly

Rick Stricker

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
I'd have to say that such a blanket statement has to be bogus.

That may be the way they do things at Alexis' place of business/
employment, but's definitely NOT the rule.

I smell a troll... someone prove me wrong.

>On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:52:09 GMT, "Alexis Bentley"
><lex...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>
>>The ironic part is that even in the most expensive
>>hotel, the glass of wine that you had, I guarantee consists of backpour
from
>>leftovers from some wedding.

Becky Striggow

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
Wake up! I think you just got scammed by that guy who likes to post
scatalogical stuff on the newsgroups...and then allowed your prejudices
to get in the way, to boot.
First of all, the woman was probably wearing disposable gloves over
her hands or using a spoon or something like that. Do you think the
health inspectors would allow ANYONE, Southerner or not, working in a
restaurant to pick up ground beef or beans WITH HER BARE HANDS? Come on.
The number one health hazard is from people who don't wash hands and
then come back and handle your glass or make a new batch of tea or
lemonade. AND from other customers who don't wash hands and then touch
the door of the stall and the doorknob of the restroom. THAT should
scare you much, much more.
Second of all, long fingernails are not indigenous to the South.
Check out Hollywood and New York.
Sheeeeesh.
Becky

suzn

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99

Becky Striggow <bstr...@peachnet.campuscwix.net> wrote in
message news:37BEC081...@peachnet.campuscwix.net...

> Wake up! I think you just got scammed by that guy who likes to
post
> scatalogical stuff on the newsgroups...and then allowed your
prejudices
> to get in the way, to boot.
> First of all, the woman was probably wearing disposable
gloves over
> her hands or using a spoon or something like that. Do you
think the
> health inspectors would allow ANYONE, Southerner or not,
working in a
> restaurant to pick up ground beef or beans WITH HER BARE
HANDS? Come on.

When Subway shops first opened the food handlers did not
wear gloves...this new safer practice started only a few years
ago.....now in the case of the ground beef or beans I would
think they had to be using some sort of utensil or they would
have burned their hands.......

Kris in Philly

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:06:41 -0400, Becky Striggow
<bstr...@peachnet.campuscwix.net> wrote:

>>:Wake up! I think you just got scammed by that guy who likes to post

>>:scatalogical stuff on the newsgroups...and then allowed your prejudices
>>:to get in the way, to boot.
>>: First of all, the woman was probably wearing disposable gloves over
>>:her hands or using a spoon or something like that. Do you think the
>>:health inspectors would allow ANYONE, Southerner or not, working in a
>>:restaurant to pick up ground beef or beans WITH HER BARE HANDS? Come on.

>>: The number one health hazard is from people who don't wash hands and

>>:then come back and handle your glass or make a new batch of tea or
>>:lemonade. AND from other customers who don't wash hands and then touch
>>:the door of the stall and the doorknob of the restroom. THAT should
>>:scare you much, much more.
>>: Second of all, long fingernails are not indigenous to the South.
>>:Check out Hollywood and New York.
>>: Sheeeeesh.
>>: Becky
>>:
>>:
>>:@, . wrote:
>>:>
>>:> illy...@aol.com (Illyria76) wrote:
>>:> >>Lower class/income southern women are
>>:> >>>all obsessed with long fingernails, and may spend half their paychecks
>>:> >>>at nail salons.>
>>:>
>>:> >whoa. that was pretty close-minded.
>>:>
>>:> What you really mean is that is wasn't "politically correct".
>>:>
>>:> But true nonetheless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kris in Philly

Kris in Philly

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 15:19:09 GMT, "suzn" <su...@netscape.net> wrote:

>>:
>>:Becky Striggow <bstr...@peachnet.campuscwix.net> wrote in
>>:message news:37BEC081...@peachnet.campuscwix.net...
>>:> Wake up! I think you just got scammed by that guy who likes to

>>:post
>>:> scatalogical stuff on the newsgroups...and then allowed your
>>:prejudices
>>:> to get in the way, to boot.
>>:> First of all, the woman was probably wearing disposable
>>:gloves over
>>:> her hands or using a spoon or something like that. Do you
>>:think the
>>:> health inspectors would allow ANYONE, Southerner or not,
>>:working in a
>>:> restaurant to pick up ground beef or beans WITH HER BARE
>>:HANDS? Come on.
>>:

>>:
>>: When Subway shops first opened the food handlers did not

>>:wear gloves...this new safer practice started only a few years
>>:ago.....now in the case of the ground beef or beans I would
>>:think they had to be using some sort of utensil or they would
>>:have burned their hands.......

>>:
>>:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kris in Philly

suzn

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99

Kris in Philly <blue...@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Kris in Philly

Is it my newsreader or is Kris in Philly not saying anything
in any of the posts she/he replies to?

Charles Demas

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99

Your newsreader is NOT broken.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
de...@tiac.net | \___/ | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas

It is loading more messages.