Birkenstocks sandals melt in the heat and the company doesn't care

Timothy Pinard

Aug 7, 2001, 5:43:06 PM8/7/01
Based on my experience with birkenstock sandals, I strongly recommend that
you never consider purchasing a pair. I left a pair in my car and they were
completely destroyed by the heat, that is the soles shrank and snapped off.
The instructions do warn against this, but I missed the disclaimer(i.e.
small print). To add to the pain, birkenstock will repair the sandals for
nearly $80. Oh thanks, what a racket! Also, they do not reply to
correspondence(see attached) and their customer service representatives were
not helpful at all. Please pass along this friendly advice to prospective
consumers, and if you have these sandals don't leave them in the sun.

July 23, 2001

Birkenstock

P.O. Box 6140

Novato, CA 94948

Dear Sir or Madam:

I purchased a pair of Birkenstock Fulda sandals about a year ago. I really
enjoyed wearing the shoes because they were comfortable and stylish.
Unfortunately, I left my sandals in the car this past Saturday and the heat
literally destroyed them, that is, the soles shrank and became unglued. I
was shocked that this had happened, because although I had read the care
instructions, I clearly failed to read the part that warned against heat
exposure.

It was undoubtedly my fault that I had let harm come to my shoes, but what
bothers me is that I had made a significant effort to care for my shoes and
despite my efforts this occurred. I can recall the actual sale of the shoes
that took place at Track and Trail store in the Mall of New Hampshire in
Manchester, NH. The sales associate told me that I needed several
additional products to care for various components of my shoes, such as the
cork, foot bed and suede straps. I purchased the additional care products
and brushes, because I was interested in protecting my investment. I'm
absolutely sure that no mention of the possibility of damage due to heat
exposure was suggested. I'm sure because the notion is absurd, I wasn't
buying a CD or a VHS tape, I was buying footwear, and if the sales associate
mentioned it I would have remembered it.

Ultimately, I am disappointed with your product, which is a product that I
believed to be superior to all others. In my experience your product lacked
the level of quality that should be expected from an average piece of
footwear. I didn't purchase a $10 sandal from Wal-Mart. I purchased a
$100+ sandal that afforded me as much durability as would be expected from
the Wal-Mart brand.

Clearly this is a common problem with the sandal, because there is a FAQ on
your web site that addressed this problem. What aggravates the situation is
that your company offers to repair the shoes for an amount that is clearly
too high. Please explain to me why a customer would pay nearly $38 to
repair each shoe when the pair originally cost around $100? I feel that
this is a serious product flaw that if not corrected in manufacturing,
should at a minimum be clearly communicated to the customer, either through
the sales representative or some sort of warning on the package, preferably
the latter. In my opinion, having a small excerpt in a pamphlet within the
box is not enough.

I am very disappointed now that I do not have use of my shoes, which I loved
and spent a relatively large amount of money on. It is not even remotely
conceivable that I would pay your company additional money to repair them at
this point only to find out later that extreme use causes the sandal to
crack in half or some other hidden weakness exists.

The problem with this flaw, and it is a flaw, is that no one would ever
imagine that a pair of sandals would become unglued in the heat. It is
ridiculous, and I probably would not have purchased them if I had known this
beforehand.

Sincerely yours,

Timothy J. Pinard

Steve Knight

Aug 7, 2001, 10:43:39 PM8/7/01
On Tue, 07 Aug 2001 21:43:06 GMT, "Timothy Pinard" <t.pi...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Based on my experience with birkenstock sandals, I strongly recommend that
>you never consider purchasing a pair. I left a pair in my car and they were
>completely destroyed by the heat, that is the soles shrank and snapped off.
>The instructions do warn against this, but I missed the disclaimer(i.e.
>small print). To add to the pain, birkenstock will repair the sandals for
>nearly $80. Oh thanks, what a racket! Also, they do not reply to
>correspondence(see attached) and their customer service representatives were
>not helpful at all. Please pass along this friendly advice to prospective
>consumers, and if you have these sandals don't leave them in the sun.

You screwed up and they are supposed to pay for it? get a lawyer everyone else
does. Or just face it you screwed up and be an adult and accept the blame where
it belongs.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
See http://www.knight-toolworks.com

Jeff

Aug 8, 2001, 2:46:53 AM8/8/01
<t.pi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Based on my experience with birkenstock sandals, I strongly recommend that
>you never consider purchasing a pair. I left a pair in my car and they were
>completely destroyed by the heat, that is the soles shrank and snapped off.

Geez, when kids are left in a car they die yet I don't see anyone not
having kids.

Gilligan

Aug 8, 2001, 2:54:13 AM8/8/01
In article <KhZb7.37779$gj1.3...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
t.pi...@worldnet.att.net says...

Well, it was worth a try. Sometimes, companies like Birkenstock, who
sell expensive really high quality products WILL go the extra mile and
take care of the customer even in cases like this just because its good
business to do so. But, apparently not.

I don't know how you can now proclaim these sandals as poor quality
though, because of what happened. Clearly, its not rocket science to
know that you never leave ANYTHING locked up in a hot car as it WILL
MELT. Anything! You purchased the product in the first place based on
known quality of the product, which has absolutely nothing to do with
leaving them in the car on a hot summer day. A camera will melt into a
puddle of plastic when left in a closed car on a really hot day.

I think the only thing you could really complain about at this point
IMHO is, Birkenstock isn't too concerned about keeping customers happy
after the sale, which IS important and something I will keep in mind if
I ever have to replace or repair my Birkenstocks.

--

--G--

Timothy Pinard

Aug 8, 2001, 8:14:52 AM8/8/01
If you actually read the message you would have understood that I never
asked anyone to pay for it. I was willing to pay for the sandals to be
repaired however the cost is nearly as high as the cost for new sandals,
there is little recourse for this situation. Take it easy with the lawyer
stuff, you shouldn't be so angry.

Timothy Pinard

Aug 8, 2001, 8:17:16 AM8/8/01
Good point, however my shoes didn't die, they were grossly deformed.
Luckily kids don't fall apart that would be messy.

Timothy Pinard

Aug 8, 2001, 8:20:49 AM8/8/01
In a round about way, that is what my complaint is, however I did have a
pair of tevas that I would leave in my car while I went on hikes and I would
come back and they would be in tact, but I suppose that is too much to ask
of birkenstock sandals. I should treat them with more care and respect, may
bring a cooler with ice in it, huh?

"Gilligan" <planet_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Steve Knight

Aug 8, 2001, 11:15:16 AM8/8/01
On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:14:52 GMT, "Timothy Pinard" <t.pi...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>If you actually read the message you would have understood that I never

>asked anyone to pay for it. I was willing to pay for the sandals to be
>repaired however the cost is nearly as high as the cost for new sandals,
>there is little recourse for this situation. Take it easy with the lawyer
>stuff, you shouldn't be so angry.

repairs on berks are a bit spendy. but they are usually worth it. in this case
no. but what happened to them was not wear and tear but total annihilation.

Steve Knight

Aug 8, 2001, 11:16:48 AM8/8/01
On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:20:49 GMT, "Timothy Pinard" <t.pi...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>In a round about way, that is what my complaint is, however I did have a

>pair of tevas that I would leave in my car while I went on hikes and I would
>come back and they would be in tact, but I suppose that is too much to ask
>of birkenstock sandals. I should treat them with more care and respect, may
>bring a cooler with ice in it, huh?

berks are natural products not plastic. they are made to be serviced so are not
built to wear and then be cast away.

Timothy Pinard

Aug 8, 2001, 5:59:36 PM8/8/01
Good news, I got it all straightened out, it seems that the numb nuts
working customer service at Birkenstock told me something that wasn't true.
Repair would only cost $35, which ain't so bad, but given the grief they
gave me they will only charge me for the shipping, $7. Not bad. It must be
hard to find competent customer service reps.

"Steve Knight" <ste...@knight-toolworks.com> wrote in message

Jeff

Aug 9, 2001, 1:22:21 AM8/9/01
<t.pi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>If you actually read the message you would have understood that I never
>asked anyone to pay for it. I was willing to pay for the sandals to be
>repaired however the cost is nearly as high as the cost for new sandals,
>there is little recourse for this situation. Take it easy with the lawyer
>stuff, you shouldn't be so angry.

I left my shoes in a fire and they burnt up. I will never buy that
brand of shoes again. How the hell do you expect them to repair
melted shoes. The cost is nearly as high as new because that's what
they will probably have to do, give you new ones. Instead of being
happy with a discount for new shoes because you are a screw up, you
want them to repair something you totally destroyed. Now the cost for
everyone will go up because you are a moron.

Jeff

Aug 9, 2001, 1:23:30 AM8/9/01
On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 21:59:36 GMT, "Timothy Pinard"
<t.pi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Good news, I got it all straightened out, it seems that the numb nuts
>working customer service at Birkenstock told me something that wasn't true.
>Repair would only cost $35, which ain't so bad, but given the grief they
>gave me they will only charge me for the shipping, $7. Not bad. It must be
>hard to find competent customer service reps.

Now the price will go up for everyone else because of a moron like
you.

Gilligan

Aug 9, 2001, 2:39:01 AM8/9/01
In article <B8ac7.7823$1p1.6...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
t.pi...@worldnet.att.net says...

> In a round about way, that is what my complaint is, however I did have a
> pair of tevas that I would leave in my car while I went on hikes and I would
> come back and they would be in tact, but I suppose that is too much to ask
> of birkenstock sandals. I should treat them with more care and respect, may
> bring a cooler with ice in it, huh?

Well, lets keep in mind too that the U.S. has had a "heat wave" in many
parts over the past few days. When it reaches a certain temp, and I
don't know what that temp is, anything will melt in your car. I've seen
it before. Things you wouldn't expect to melt will on especially hot
days.

--

--G--

Gilligan

Aug 9, 2001, 2:51:31 AM8/9/01
In article <cDic7.8416$1p1.6...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
t.pi...@worldnet.att.net says...

> Good news, I got it all straightened out, it seems that the numb nuts
> working customer service at Birkenstock told me something that wasn't true.
> Repair would only cost $35, which ain't so bad, but given the grief they
> gave me they will only charge me for the shipping, $7. Not bad. It must be
> hard to find competent customer service reps.

Hey that's great! And I bet they just send a brand new pair. Let us
know ok?

I once sent a $150 pair of Ray Ban sunglasses in to them because I
dropped them and scratched the lens. I told them this too. A few weeks
later they sent me a brand new pair for FREE.

Serengeti also did this for me on a pair of Drivers sunglasses.

I learned a long time ago that if you take care of a customer, in cases
like Timothy's, you will be rewarded many times over. It is ALWAYS worth
it to take care of the customer when things like this happen.

What happens is, the customer is so damn happy that you took care of
them, and saved them the expense of replacing an expensive item even
though it was damaged by their own fault, they will be a customer for
LIFE PLUS!! They will take the time to tell, of this great deed, to
everyone at every opportunity they get, which brings more customers your
way.

I've done this plenty of times over the years and continue to do so
because it's always profitable. And, the customer makes out too. You DO
have to keep good records though, so nobody abuses your policy. Its just
a win win situation every time. Any company who doesn't do this is
simply lacking experienced people, and probably lacking repeat customers
too!

--

--G--

Gilligan

Aug 9, 2001, 2:57:32 AM8/9/01
In article <3b721da0...@news.accessnv.com>, J...@net.net says...

thats bullshit. What they offered to do was, repair them for $35 which I
am certain covers their cost of the product. And yes, they probably will
replace them with a new pair. This will not raise the price for all the
rest of us, remember, he was honest up front with them and was NOT
trying to get something for nothing. He didn't try to take advantage of
them. They ended up giving him a new pair for free because they felt
badly about how the first customer service person handled it, but he
didn't try to get this for free, they gave it to him.

It is the dishonest people who drive prices up for the rest of us, and
this was clearly NOT the case here.
--

--G--

Grow Up!!

Aug 9, 2001, 7:15:11 AM8/9/01

Timothy Pinard wrote:

> (snip). I left a pair in my car and they were

> completely destroyed by the heat, that is the soles shrank and snapped off.
> The instructions do warn against this, but I missed the disclaimer(i.e.
> small print).

Just because YOU didn't read all the instructions why should they be
responsible? It's YOUR responsibility to READ the instructions -- all of them
not just some. They do NOT owe you anything.
Chalk this up to experience and next time read everything when you buy
something!

Grow Up!!

Aug 9, 2001, 7:17:05 AM8/9/01

Timothy Pinard wrote:

> If you actually read the message you would have understood that I never
> asked anyone to pay for it. I was willing to pay for the sandals to be
> repaired however the cost is nearly as high as the cost for new sandals,
> there is little recourse for this situation. Take it easy with the lawyer
> stuff, you shouldn't be so angry.
>

> The repair cost is probably as high as the cost of the new shoe since from the
> way you described what happened a whole new sole will need to be put into the
> shoe - that's practically the whole shoe and if the leather has shrunk that
> probably needs to be fixed/repaired - the time involved probably amounts to
> close to making a whole new shoe. Also, new shoes are probably made with an
> automated system and to repair the shoe is probably done by hand

Grow Up!!

Aug 9, 2001, 7:21:41 AM8/9/01

Timothy Pinard wrote:

> Good news, I got it all straightened out, it seems that the numb nuts
> working customer service at Birkenstock told me something that wasn't true.
> Repair would only cost $35, which ain't so bad, but given the grief they
> gave me they will only charge me for the shipping, $7. Not bad. It must be
> hard to find competent customer service reps.

First off those "numb nuts" are people too --- probably calling you the same
thing for leaving your shoes in the hot car.

Second, perhaps if people didn't automatically blame the manufacturered for
problems they caused themselves and at least accepted partial responsibility for
their problems companies would not have to "eat" so much money -- like in this
instance -- you're not even paying the $35 charge -- who do you think is paying
it -- either us the other consumers in the cost of the product or buy not being
able to pay their staffs a larger salary, therefore getting what they are paid.

Also, it's not necessarily incompentent customer service -- sometimes mistakes
happen due to miscommunication by the customer as well. Let's face it -- they
are human too

Grow Up!!

Aug 9, 2001, 7:22:22 AM8/9/01

Gilligan wrote:

> In article <cDic7.8416$1p1.6...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> t.pi...@worldnet.att.net says...
> > Good news, I got it all straightened out, it seems that the numb nuts
> > working customer service at Birkenstock told me something that wasn't true.
> > Repair would only cost $35, which ain't so bad, but given the grief they
> > gave me they will only charge me for the shipping, $7. Not bad. It must be
> > hard to find competent customer service reps.
>
> Hey that's great! And I bet they just send a brand new pair. Let us
> know ok?
>
> I once sent a $150 pair of Ray Ban sunglasses in to them because I
> dropped them and scratched the lens. I told them this too. A few weeks
> later they sent me a brand new pair for FREE.
>
> Serengeti also did this for me on a pair of Drivers sunglasses.

Ok now we know why the price of these glasses are so expensive

Grow Up!!

Aug 9, 2001, 7:25:13 AM8/9/01

Gilligan wrote:

> In article <B8ac7.7823$1p1.6...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> t.pi...@worldnet.att.net says...
> > In a round about way, that is what my complaint is, however I did have a
> > pair of tevas that I would leave in my car while I went on hikes and I would
> > come back and they would be in tact, but I suppose that is too much to ask
> > of birkenstock sandals. I should treat them with more care and respect, may
> > bring a cooler with ice in it, huh?
>
> Well, lets keep in mind too that the U.S. has had a "heat wave" in many
> parts over the past few days. When it reaches a certain temp, and I
> don't know what that temp is, anything will melt in your car. I've seen
> it before. Things you wouldn't expect to melt will on especially hot
> days.

But...the point here is --- the manufacturer of the shoe had specific instructions
that said not to leave in the heat

Timothy Pinard

Aug 9, 2001, 5:25:42 PM8/9/01

"Jeff" <J...@net.net> wrote in message

Actually, I am not a moron, and it is because of negative people like Jeff
that makes these forums nearly a waste of time. I have no problem paying
$35 to repair the shoes that became unglued. I became unglued when I was
told that is would cost $80 to reattach the soles. The customer service rep
was either half asleep or on drugs, because when I asked him if the charge
was per shoe he said "yes". The soles became unglued, and they needed to be
re-glued, got it, its very simple. They told me that they could give me a
courtesy resoling, which does happen from time to time. To reiterate, I
don't have a problem paying to have the shoes repaired, but for the pain
they caused they offered to do if for free. It's the company's fault, why?,
because they don't train or hire competent people for the customer service
positions.

Timothy Pinard

Aug 9, 2001, 5:28:22 PM8/9/01

"Grow Up!!" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Timothy Pinard wrote:
>
> > Good news, I got it all straightened out, it seems that the numb nuts
> > working customer service at Birkenstock told me something that wasn't
true.
> > Repair would only cost $35, which ain't so bad, but given the grief they
> > gave me they will only charge me for the shipping, $7. Not bad. It
must be
> > hard to find competent customer service reps.
>
> First off those "numb nuts" are people too --- probably calling you the
same
> thing for leaving your shoes in the hot car.

probably not, but your point is heard

> Second, perhaps if people didn't automatically blame the manufacturered
for
> problems they caused themselves and at least accepted partial
responsibility for
> their problems companies would not have to "eat" so much money -- like in
this
> instance -- you're not even paying the $35 charge -- who do you think is
paying

it is the company's error in not adequately preparing its customer service
reps in the art of ass-kissing

> it -- either us the other consumers in the cost of the product or buy not
being
> able to pay their staffs a larger salary, therefore getting what they are
paid.

> Also, it's not necessarily incompentent customer service -- sometimes
mistakes
> happen due to miscommunication by the customer as well. Let's face it --
they
> are human too

We are all human man, let's try not to show it.

Timothy Pinard

Aug 9, 2001, 5:31:12 PM8/9/01

> On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:14:52 GMT, "Timothy Pinard"
> <t.pi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >If you actually read the message you would have understood that I never
> >asked anyone to pay for it. I was willing to pay for the sandals to be
> >repaired however the cost is nearly as high as the cost for new sandals,
> >there is little recourse for this situation. Take it easy with the
lawyer
> >stuff, you shouldn't be so angry.
>
> I left my shoes in a fire and they burnt up. I will never buy that
> brand of shoes again. How the hell do you expect them to repair
> melted shoes.

The shoes weren't really melted, I admit that was an exageration, the soles
fell off.

>The cost is nearly as high as new because that's what
> they will probably have to do, give you new ones.

They will no give me new shoes, for a normal cost to the consumer of $35
plus $7 they will stretch the soles and re-glue them.

>Instead of being
> happy with a discount for new shoes because you are a screw up, you
> want them to repair something you totally destroyed. Now the cost for
> everyone will go up because you are a moron.

Chill out with the name calling, or mature.

Timothy Pinard

Aug 9, 2001, 5:33:03 PM8/9/01

"Grow Up!!" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

I've already confessed of my act of stupidity, please forgive me.

Timothy Pinard

Aug 9, 2001, 5:38:45 PM8/9/01

"Grow Up!!" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

CORRECT, but THEY told me it would cost $80 to repair them, WRONG!!! It
really only costs $35. Great, please let me pay only $35 to make my shoes
whole. Birkenstock chimes in, "No little consumer, since we messed up, we
will assume the cost of something that probably only costs us $4".

Why would I spend $80 to repair a pair of shoes that cost $100? I wouldn't
is the correct answer. Since THEY originally told me something that was
wrong THEY are now willing to accept a portion of the blame in this
situation. Comprendez?

Best wishes all,

tj

Jeff

Aug 10, 2001, 5:05:09 AM8/10/01
On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 21:25:42 GMT, "Timothy Pinard"
<t.pi...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Actually, I am not a moron, and it is because of negative people like Jeff
>that makes these forums nearly a waste of time. I have no problem paying
>$35 to repair the shoes that became unglued. I became unglued when I was
>told that is would cost $80 to reattach the soles.

That is the abuse charge to discourage people who think they are owed
something because they ignored instructions and destroyed the shoes.
They want you to buy new shoes so they don't have to try and rebuild
something you destroyed by abuse.

Kathleen Bingham

Aug 19, 2001, 12:17:05 PM8/19/01
Timothy Pinard wrote:

> Based on my experience with birkenstock sandals, I strongly recommend that

> you never consider purchasing a pair. I left a pair in my car and they were

> completely destroyed by the heat, that is the soles shrank and snapped off.
> The instructions do warn against this, but I missed the disclaimer(i.e.

> small print). To add to the pain, birkenstock will repair the sandals for
> nearly $80. Oh thanks, what a racket! Also, they do not reply to
> correspondence(see attached) and their customer service representatives were
> not helpful at all. Please pass along this friendly advice to prospective
> consumers, and if you have these sandals don't leave them in the sun.

Hmmm, sandals that disintegrate in the heat? Way to go, Birkenstock. Perhaps
they
should come with a styrofoam ice chest.

kathy

jdb

Oct 12, 2001, 10:17:36 AM10/12/01
On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 15:16:48 GMT, Steve Knight
<ste...@knight-toolworks.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:20:49 GMT, "Timothy Pinard" <t.pi...@worldnet.att.net>
>wrote:
>
>>In a round about way, that is what my complaint is, however I did have a
>>pair of tevas that I would leave in my car while I went on hikes and I would
>>come back and they would be in tact, but I suppose that is too much to ask
>>of birkenstock sandals. I should treat them with more care and respect, may
>>bring a cooler with ice in it, huh?
>
>berks are natural products not plastic. they are made to be serviced so are not
>built to wear and then be cast away.

Leather shoes are "natural" products too, but have never seen any with
arning against leaving them in a car on a hot day! A pair of $3.99
flip-flops can stand the heat, so why can't a pair of $100
Birkenstocks?
Reminds me of the Catamaran owners who complained of gel coat
blistering to the manufacturer and were told they shouldn't leave the
boats in the water!

jdb

Oct 12, 2001, 10:22:34 AM10/12/01

>they hould come with a styrofoam ice chest.
>
>kathy

Aren't Birkenstocks made with cork soles and leather uppers? Those
materials should be able to withstand car interior temperatures. They
must be assembling them using hot melt glue. Car interiors can get hot
enough in the sun to liquefy hot melt glue. At the price, you'd expect
something more durable.

KP2 KP2

Dec 24, 2023, 8:46:33 PM12/24/23