未讀,
2011年1月13日 晚上10:46:212011/1/13
收件者:

"Conservative Thoughts" <gare...@ymail.com> wrote in message
news:9f4f6c25-b203-4727...@q18g2000vbk.googlegroups.com...
Richard Tobin wrote:
> In article <P8ednSPLNPAxELLQnZ2dnUVZ_r-dn...@mchsi.com>,
> Sam Wormley <sworml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >A new analysis of European tree-ring samples suggests that mild
> >summers may have been the key to the rise of the Roman Empire and that
> >prolonged droughts, cold snaps, and other climate changes might have
> >played a part in historical upheavals, from the barbarian invasions that
> >brought about Rome's collapse to the Black Death that wiped out much of
> >medieval Europe.
>
> A few of years ago it was Malaria. Before that it was lead in the
> wine. These theories of Rome's collapse make for good press releases,
> but are completely unverifiable.
>
> -- Richard

Scientists are always changing their story and as a Conservative, I
have no tolerance for ambiguity.
It proves that all science is lies and the only thing we can trust is
right wing rhetoric.
======================================

These "scientists" are obviously running around in circles!
The "science" of AGW is total fabrication.

Warmists Running Around In Circles As They Desperately Try To Prop Up The
Great Global Warming Scam

What a circus!

It would be screamingly funny if they weren't also trying to tax us all to
death with this claptrap.

December 30, 2010

LESS SNOW WAS PREDICTED HERE .

1999:

One agency of the US government says global warming will lead to warmer
winters due to alteration of atmospheric circulation over the Arctic.

MORE SNOW IS PREDICTED HERE .

2010:

Now another agency says global warming will lead to colder and snowier
winters due to alteration of atmospheric circulation over the Arctic!!

http://hauntingthelibrary.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/nasa-1999-winter-in-the-northern-hemisphere-will-continue-to-warm-will-someone-tell-monbiot/

James Hansen 2008: Warm Winters "Clear Sign" of Global Warming

Let's start this sorry tale with a quote from Dr James Overland of the
NOAA/Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory, on why global warming means
colder and snowier winters in Europe and North America:

"While the emerging impact of greenhouse gases is an important factor in the
changing Arctic, what was not fully recognised until now is that a
combination of an unusual warm period due to natural variability, loss of
sea ice reflectivity, ocean heat storage and changing wind patterns working
together has disrupted the memory and stability of the Arctic climate
system, resulting in greater ice loss than earlier climate models
predicted," says Dr Overland.

"The exceptional cold and snowy winter of 2009-2010 in Europe, eastern Asia
and eastern North America is connected to unique physical processes in the
Arctic," he says.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100611093710.htm

That's the official climate science line in 2010.

Changes in the atmospheric circulation above the Arctic lead to colder and
snowier winters, thanks to global warming.

All clear?

Good.

Now, let's rewind eleven years . . .

Back in the balmy, El Nino days of 1999, a study from NASA GISS's Gavin
Schmidt, Drew Schindell and Ron Miller told a very different story. Back
then, when winters were mild and largely snow-free, climate science was
coming to the opposite conclusion:

"Why are winters warming up so much faster over Northern Hemisphere
continents than over the rest of the globe? A new study by NASA researchers
in the June 3 issue of the journal Nature is the first to link the
well-documented large degree of North America and Eurasia winter warming and
the associated wind changes to rising greenhouse gas levels in the
atmosphere."

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/19990602/

According to this climate study, warmer winters were caused by . . . changes
in atmospheric circulation over the Arctic!

Shindell found a probable reason for warming Northern Hemisphere winters by
studying the polar vortex in his climate model. Over the North Pole, there
is a polar vortex created in the stratosphere, the part of the atmosphere
that starts more than six miles above the Earth's surface. The vortex arises
because the North Pole is completely dark and extremely cold in the winter,
creating a large temperature difference between the polar region and the
mid-latitudes.

Shindell's model predicts that if greenhouse gases continue to increase,
winter in the Northern Hemisphere will continue to warm. "In our model, we're
seeing a very large signal of global warming and it's not a naturally
occurring thing. It's most likely linked to greenhouse gases," he said.

The study was published in the peer-reviewed 'science' journal, Nature:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v399/n6735/abs/399452a0.html

Schmidt and others also published commentary on their study here:

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/shindell_04/

So what do we have?

1999:

One agency of the US government says global warming will lead to warmer
winters due to alteration of atmospheric circulation over the Arctic.

2010:

Another agency says global warming will lead to colder winters due to
alteration of atmospheric circulation over the Arctic!!

All of which leads one to ask the obvious question:

Who's running this circus?

http://hauntingthelibrary.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/nasa-1999-winter-in-the-northern-hemisphere-will-continue-to-warm-will-someone-tell-monbiot/

Warmest Regards

B0nz0

"It is a remarkable fact that despite the worldwide expenditure of perhaps
US$50 billion since 1990, and the efforts of tens of thousands of scientists
worldwide, no human climate signal has yet been detected that is distinct
from natural variation."
Bob Carter, Research Professor of Geology, James Cook University, Townsville

"If climate has not "tipped" in over 4 billion years it's not going to tip
now due to mankind. The planet has a natural thermostat"
Richard S. Lindzen, Atmospheric Physicist, Professor of Meteorology MIT,
Former IPCC Lead Author

"It does not matter who you are, or how smart you are, or what title you
have, or how many of you there are, and certainly not how many papers your
side has published, if your prediction is wrong then your hypothesis is
wrong. Period."
Professor Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics

"A core problem is that science has given way to ideology. The scientific
method has been dispensed with, or abused, to serve the myth of man-made
global warming."
"The World Turned Upside Down", Melanie Phillips

"Computer models are built in an almost backwards fashion: The goal is to
show evidence of AGW, and the "scientists" go to work to produce such a
result. When even these models fail to show what advocates want, the data
and interpretations are "fudged" to bring about the desired result"
"The World Turned Upside Down", Melanie Phillips

"Ocean acidification looks suspiciously like a back-up plan by the
environmental pressure groups in case the climate fails to warm: another try
at condemning fossil fuels!"
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/threat-ocean-acidification-greatly-exaggerated

Before attacking hypothetical problems, let us first solve the real problems
that threaten humanity. One single water pump at an equivalent cost of a
couple of solar panels can indeed spare hundreds of Sahel women the daily
journey to the spring and spare many infections and lives.
Martin De Vlieghere, philosopher

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that
it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of
mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible."
Bertrand Russell

Mr Posting Robot

未讀,
2011年4月5日 凌晨2:00:022011/4/5
收件者:
Study sees climate change impact on trees

April 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Washington, April 4 (UPI) -- Tree growth and fecundity -- the ability to
produce viable seeds -- are more sensitive to climate change than previously
thought, an 18-year US study found.

The study of 27k individual trees by National Science Foundation-funded
scientists identified earlier spring warming as one of several factors that
affect tree reproduction and growth. It also found summer drought was an
important risk factor for tree survival, and species in 4 types of trees --
pine, elm, beech, and magnolia -- are especially vulnerable to climate change,
an NSF release said Mon.

<http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct2=us%2F0_0_s_8_0_t&usg=AFQjCNFDtg5GK60TW
wtBw8LPy-XQT_dK9Q&did=2a9ff56bf2d20543&sig2=Mjjupb7nssJ6TCbjfESlqQ&cid=175938797
08900&ei=LYGaTYDnMZHnkAX08oBt&rt=SECTION&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.upi.co
m%2FScience_News%2F2011%2F04%2F04%2FStudy-sees-climate-change-impact-on-trees%2F
UPI-19851301970155%2F>

MYREF: 20110405160002 msg2011040511396

[130 more news items]

---
We do not know how much of the environmental change is due to human
activities and how much [is due] to long-term natural processes over
which we have no control.
-- Freeman Dyson, essay, 2007.

Mr Posting Robot v2.1

未讀,
2011年10月30日 凌晨3:00:032011/10/30
收件者:

BONZO@27-32-240-172 [numerous nyms] wrote:
>[Aussie coal lobby spin]

Giant sequoia falls

The Forest Service must decide what to do with the ancient tree, which is
blocking a path. Build over it? Dig under? Or do nothing at all?

Bettina Boxall
latimes.com
Oct 29, 2011

The giant sequoia lies across the popular Trail of 100 Giants at Sequoia
National Forest, Calif. No one was hurt when it fell. (Sequoia National Forest
/ September 30, 2011)

* Also
* Map locating site of fallen sequoia tree along the Trail of 100 Giants
* Environmentalists want Chatsworth Nature Preserve left alone
* Preservation, not profit, takes precedence at Big Horn Mine in the San Gabriel
* Coral reef preservation has a long history

Along the Sierra Nevada's famed Trail of 100 Giants, the mammoth sequoia had
stood sentry since King Arthur's knights gathered at the Round Table.

It witnessed the arrival of the 1st European settlers and the flurry of miners
in search of gold. The onset of the Medieval Warm Period and the passing of
the Little Ice Age. It stood, unperturbed, through the Great War and the one
that followed.

Then a m ago, as a handful of amazed tourists looked on, it toppled --
crushing a bridge over a small stream and blocking the path.

Now, the US Forest Service must decide what to do.

Slice a big hole in the 300-foot-long roadblock? Go around it? Over it? Under i
t?

When you're dealing with a 1,500-year-old sequoia in a national monument, the
questions aren't just logistical. They're environmental, emotive and
potentially legal.

Officials closed the popular tourist trail, cleared the debris and solicited
ideas from the public on how to deal with the fallen giant -- actually 2 trees
fused at the base.

Among the 30 or so suggestions: Reroute the trail. Tunnel under the
trunks. Carve steps and build a bridge over them. Sell what would be one heck
of a lot of firewood.

"This has not happened in the Sequoia National Forest before," said public
affairs officer Denise Alonzo, explaining the indecision.

The now-prone twins -- two-thirds the height of Los Angeles City Hall -- were
among the bigger specimens in Long Meadow Grove, part of the Giant Sequoia
National Monument. About 17 feet in diameter at their common base, the trees
are middle-aged for giant sequoias, which can live 4k y and have the greatest
mass of any living organism on Earth.

The Forest Service isn't sure why the trees hit the dirt Sept. 30, because
they appeared to be healthy.

A German tourist, one of only a few people on the 1.3-mile loop trail at the
time, recorded the crash on video.

"It can't be possible," Gerrit Panzner told the Visalia Times about what went
through his mind when he realized the sequoias were falling. "I wasn't
afraid," said his wife, Sigrun Rakus. Her only thought was to get out of the way
.

The trees may have toppled because the wet winter left the ground too soggy to
hold the roots, which are relatively shallow.

"Sequoias do fall. That's how big sequoias die," said Nathan Stephenson of the
US Geological Survey. "It's never anything that I consider with alarm."

After a wet winter in 1969, he said, one of the giants fell in a picnic area
of nearby Sequoia National Park and killed a woman. Over the years, there have
been a couple that thudded onto trails in the park. Officials cut openings in
the downed trees to allow visitors to pass through, as well as to give
tourists an appreciation for their immense size.

When the Trail of 100 Giants was built several decades ago, it actually was
routed around a long-fallen sequoia.

Since the Forest Service reopened the path a wk ago, visitors have been
climbing on the hulking trunks and treading where only birds and animals have
been for more than a millennium.

"We got up there and everybody was just in awe of what was in front of them,"
Alonzo said. "And until the snow falls, it's open for anybody to go up and visit
."

In considering its options, the Forest Service wants to keep the paved path
accessible to the disabled and make sure nothing is done to damage the root
systems of surrounding trees, Alonzo said.

Ara Marderosian, executive director of the environmental group Sequoia
ForestKeeper, knows exactly what the Forest Service should do. Nothing.

"I thought it was a great classroom for what nature does," said Marderosian,
who submitted a three-page letter to the agency after visiting the
grove. "It's quite a beautiful sight to see on the ground the way it is."

MYREF: 20111030180002 msg2011103016214

[242 more news items]

---
>Why is it relevant that the 'chief scientist' is a woman?
Because women are easier prey for scams such as The Great Global Warming Hoax!
-- BONZO@27-32-240-172 [daily nymshifter], 7 Feb 2011 11:28 +1100

Mr Posting Robot v2.1

未讀,
2011年11月6日 凌晨2:00:022011/11/6
收件者:

BONZO@27-32-240-172 [numerous nyms] wrote:
>[Aussie coal lobby spin]

Global Warming Spurs Massive Migration of Tree Species Across the West

Angelina Tala
Medical Daily
4:23 p.m.EDT, Thu Oct 20, 2011

Many tree species are projected to decline or die out due to a huge
"migration" of trees across the Western N America due to global warming,
insect attack, diseases, and fire, a new study finds.

In regions where these species have been present for centuries, scientists say
some of trees will decline or die out, while others move in and replace them.
Lodgepole Pines

"In an enormous display of survival of the fittest, the forests of the future
are taking a new shape," the authors of the study wrote. The research was led
by Richard Waring, professor emeritus at Oregon State University.

Researchers suggest that many tree species that were once able to survive and
thrive are losing their competitive footholds and newcomers will eventually
push them out.

"Some of these changes are already happening, pretty fast and in some huge
areas," Waring said. "In some cases the mechanism of change is fire or insect
attack, in others it's simply drought."

The scientists predict that, the once-common species, lodgepole pine, will
eventually be replaced by other trees, possibly ponderosa pine or Douglas-fir,
while other areas may shift completely out of the forest and into grass
savannah or sagebrush desert. Researchers have concluded that in central
California, more than 1/2 of the species that are now present will not
persevere in the climate conditions of the future, as global warming persist.

"We can't predict exactly which tree (species) will die or which one will take
its place, but we can see the long-term trends and probabilities," Waring
said. "The forests of our future are going to look quite different."

Waring explained that tree species that are native to a local area or region
survive because they can most effectively compete with other species given the
specific conditions of temperature, precipitation, drought, cold tolerance,
and many other factors that favor one species over another in a specific locatio
n.

Therefore, a change in climate will force these species to decline or die out.

As climatic conditions change species that have been established for centuries
or millennia will lose their competitive edge and will be unable to have the
strength to withstand the new climate changes.

The study was done over a period of 4 years, using remote sensing of large
areas, comparing 15 coniferous tree species that are found widely across much
of the W in Canada and the United States, exploring impacts on 34 different
"eco-regions" ranging from the Columbia Plateau to the Sierra Nevada, Snake
River Plain and Yukon Highlands.

The study projected which tree species would be at highest risk of disturbance
in a future that is expected to be 5-9 degrees Fahrenheit warmer by 2080, with
perhaps more precipitation in the winter and spring, and less during the summer.

The researchers outlined the findings, in a release, which can be found below.

* Some of the greatest shifts in tree species are expected to occur in both
the northern and southern extremes of this area, such as British Columbia,
Alberta, and California.

* Large declines are expected in lodgepole pine and Engelmann spruce, and more
temperate species such as Douglas-fir and western hemlock may expand their range
s.

* Many wilderness areas are among those at risk of the greatest changes, and
will probably be the 1st to experience major shifts in tree species.

* Some of the mild, wetter areas of western Oregon and Washington will face
less overall species change than areas of the W with a harsher climate.

* More than 1/2 of the evergreen species are experiencing a significant
decrease in their competitiveness in 6 eco-regions.

* Conditions have become more favorable for outbreaks of diseases and insects.

* Warming will encourage growth at higher elevations and latitudes, and
increased drought at the other extremes. Fire frequency will continue to
increase across the West, and any tree species lacking drought resistance will
face special challenges.

"Ecosystems are always changing at the landscape level, but normally the rate
of change is too slow for humans to notice," said Steven Running, the
University of Montana Regents Professor and a co-author of the study. "Now the
rate of change is fast enough we can see it."

Although the rate of change is increasing the process will take time, so our
future environment is in danger and changes should be made now, however, there
is only so much that can be done.

"There's not a lot we can do to really control these changes," Waring
said. "For instance, to keep old trees alive during drought or insect attacks
that they are no longer able to deal with, you might have to thin the forest
and remove up to 1/2 the trees. These are very powerful forces at work."

One of the best approaches to plan for an uncertain future, the researchers
said, is to maintain "connective corridors" as much as possible so that trees
can naturally migrate to new areas in a changing future and not be stopped by
artificial boundaries.

But a climate activist would likely say, we should just stop polluting our
Earth in order to save our future "green."

MYREF: 20111106180002 msg2011110616095

[240 more news items]

---
Scientists [and kooks] are always changing their story and as a Conservative, I
have no tolerance for ambiguity.
It proves that all science is lies and the only thing we can trust is
right wing rhetoric.
-- BONZO@27-32-240-172 [daily nymshifter], 14 Jan 2011 14:46 +1100

CORRECTION:
True science, (remember that?) can be trusted, but this "science" is ALL LIES!
-- BONZO@27-32-240-172 [daily nymshifter], 19 Feb 2011 14:46 +1100
0 則新訊息