Lockerbie: police notebooks 'destroyed'

89 views
Skip to first unread message

Liberius

unread,
Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
to

Lockerbie: police notebooks 'destroyed'
===============================

September 12, 1999
Evening Standard Online
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/


Dozens of police notebooks relating to the Lockerbie air disaster
have been destroyed, it is claimed.

The notebooks were destroyed five years after the 1988 crash
which claimed 270 lives, for which two Libyans are alleged to be
responsible.

Prosecution officials and police declined to comment on the
claim, in the Scotland on Sunday newspaper.

The paper claims the lack of the notebooks could have
implications at the trial due to take place in The Netherlands
early next year.

A spokesman for the Crown Office, the body responsible for
prosecutions in Scotland, said: "We cannot make any comment as it
would be inappropriate to comment about what may be evidential
matters in the Lockerbie trial."

Dumfries and Galloway police, in whose area Lockerbie is located,
similarly declined to comment.

Police officers will have to give evidence years after the
disaster without being able to refer to detailed notes taken at
the time.

Some of the notebooks are believed to have referred to the
recovery of fragments of wreckage.

It is unclear whether police destroyed them mistakenly or whether
the Crown Office did not order them to be kept.

© Associated Newspapers Ltd., 12 September 1999


Report: Lockerbie Notes Destroyed
============================

Sunday, September 12, 1999; 9:52 a.m. EDT

EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) -- Dozens of police notebooks that may
have included vital evidence against two Libyans charged with the
1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 have been destroyed, a Scottish
newspaper reported Sunday.

Scotland on Sunday, quoting unidentified legal sources, said the
police notebooks were destroyed five years after the jumbo jet
was blown up over the Scottish village of Lockerbie, killing 270
people.

The books included notes made by officers during the painstaking
collection of fragments from the wreckage strewn over and around
the Scottish village of Lockerbie, the newspaper said.

Two Libyan agents are due to stand trial before Scottish judges
sitting at a special court in The Netherlands in February.

Police and Scotland's Crown Service, which is responsible for
prosecutions, refused to comment on the report.

``It would be inappropriate to comment about what may be
evidential matters in the Lockerbie trial,'' the Crown Service
said in a statement.

© Copyright 1999 The Associated Press


Destroyed notes could affect Lockerbie trial-paper
======================================

09:13 a.m. Sep 12, 1999 Eastern

EDINBURGH, Sept 12 (Reuters) - A Scottish newspaper said on
Sunday that police destroyed notebooks containing evidence about
the 1988 Lockerbie airliner bombing in a blunder which could
affect the upcoming trial of two Libyans charged in the case.

The weekly Scotland on Sunday quoted a source close to the
Libyans' defence team as saying that dozens of notebooks were
destroyed five years after the bombing of a Pan American World
Airways Boeing 747 on December 21, 1988, in which 270 people
died, 11 of them on the ground.

A spokeswoman for the Dumfries and Galloway regional police force
which collected the evidence would not comment on the report on
Sunday.

The newspaper said police notebooks are normally destroyed after
five years unless they contain evidence related to an ongoing
murder case. The Lockerbie trial is Scotland's biggest case of
mass murder.

The Scottish Crown Office in charge of the prosecution was not
immediately available for comment.

The newspaper said the notebooks contained evidence related to
the recovery of fragments of wreckage which were crucial in
building a case against the two men, Abdel Basset al-Megrahi and
Al-Amin Khalifa Fahima, who are in their 40s and are charged with
conspiracy, murder and contravention of the Aviation Security
Act.

Libya handed over the two men -- accused of carrying out the
bombing -- in April after the United Nations brokered a deal for
a trial in the Netherlands under Scottish law. The trial is
expected to begin in February and last longer than a year.

``Police officers will have made written statements based on
their notebooks, but these probably will not be admissible,''
Robert Black, professor of law at Edinburgh University and an
expert on the Lockerbie case, told Scotland on Sunday.

``The lack of the notebooks will be useful to the defence. I
imagine police officers will have to say they do not remember
exactly where they found x, y or z,'' he added.

Pan Am flight 103 was on its way from London to New York when the
bomb went off high over Lockerbie in southern Scotland.

© 1999 Reuters Limited.


Virginia McCullough

unread,
Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
to
Re: Lockerbie investigative notebooks destroyed.

Could it be that this action on the part of Scotish police
and Scotland Yard was simply more "smoke and mirrors" I
would be willing to guess that the notebooks that were most
sensitive and needed to be destroyed were those belonging to
the McKee team.

It is difficult for any intelligent person to watch this
scenario play out over the years and not understanding the
connection of the McKee Team to the following people:

CIA Agent Michael Riconosciuto of Inslaw fame.

CIA Agent and arms dealer Robert Booth Nichols who,
according to Michael Riconosciuto also went by the name
David Lovejoy.

English businessman and CIA asset Ian Stuart Spiro and
his wife, Gail Quarton Spiro. Spiro's wife, Gail, and
all three of their children were murdered at a "safe"
house in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. on or about November
1, 1992. Ian Stuart Spiro was found in the Borrego
Springs desert either (depending upon which report one
believes) 1) shot to death, 2) beheaded [or] 3)
poisoned by cyanide. Spiro worked with Church of
England's Terry Waite to help get the American hostages
released. He was often called "America's last great
asset in the Middle East". He was also a business
partner with Monzer M.Alkassar and had Alkassar's
business card in his home for the company, ALKASTRONIC
located in Austria. Spiro's other business associates
were drug and arms dealer Robert Booth Nichols, Sir
Denis Kendall who had sat on Winston Churchill's war
cabinet, savings and loan scam artist Robert Corson
,who also abruptly died in November of 1992, and
Sprio's uncle ToTo - otherwise known as Salvatore
Riina, the boss of bosses of the Sicilian Cosa Nostra
who in 1992 was busy blowing up Italy's bridges and
monuments in order to kill Italian prosecutors. In
1992 Spiro was also trying to peddle the torture,
killing tape of Wm. Buckley. Spiro's bank was BCCI (the
bank of crooks and criminals) and it was BCCI that paid
the McKee team is unsigned travelers checks. When #103
fell from the sky, manna reigned from heaven.

Monzer M. Alkassar, arms and drug dealer, whose
dealings go right to the top of the US government.
Look for Oliver North and George Bush to not ant this
can of worms open. After all, druggie George Bush Jr.
had to get his drugs cheaply somewhere. They called
the supply line "The Enterprise".

These, then, are the players that really sealed the fate of
the people on Pan Am 103 and the townfolk of Lockerbie. Now
it should be clear why the US in going after the "bad guy"
Saddam Hussein and his two little "terrorists"?

Virginia McCullough vmccu...@hotmail.com

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!


lloyd cole

unread,
Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
to
The Police took a detailed video of the wreckage and all the contents with
it, i have seen this video as part of my Fire service Training, i guess that
these dramatic films would be of far greater evidence than words.

banana

unread,
Sep 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/13/99
to
In article <1cb3e3d0...@usw-ex0106-043.remarq.com>, posted to
alt.conspiracy.princess-diana and stamped at '13:36:04' on 'Sun, 12 Sep

1999', Virginia McCullough <vmccullou...@hotmail.com> writes:

>Re: Lockerbie investigative notebooks destroyed.
>
>Could it be that this action on the part of Scotish police
>and Scotland Yard was simply more "smoke and mirrors" I
>would be willing to guess that the notebooks that were most
>sensitive and needed to be destroyed were those belonging to
>the McKee team.

Nice post Virginia. I am no expert on Lockerbie but have a few comments
and queries FWIW.

>It is difficult for any intelligent person to watch this
>scenario play out over the years and not understanding the
>connection of the McKee Team to the following people:
>
> CIA Agent Michael Riconosciuto of Inslaw fame.
>
> CIA Agent and arms dealer Robert Booth Nichols who,
> according to Michael Riconosciuto also went by the name
> David Lovejoy.
>
> English businessman and CIA asset Ian Stuart Spiro and
> his wife, Gail Quarton Spiro. Spiro's wife, Gail, and
> all three of their children were murdered at a "safe"
> house in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. on or about November
> 1, 1992. Ian Stuart Spiro was found in the Borrego
> Springs desert either (depending upon which report one
> believes) 1) shot to death, 2) beheaded [or] 3)
> poisoned by cyanide. Spiro worked with Church of
> England's Terry Waite to help get the American hostages
> released.

Waite was described as the archbishop of Canterbury's special envoy - a
form that presumably ensured that other high-ups in the Church of
England couldn't complain about not having a clue what he was doing.

I am informed however via a very good source that Terry Waite was
actually reporting to the White House and the Vatican.

Waite's activities involved Libya (which had nothing to do with any
hostages, and in fact shoots pro-Iranian militants) as well as Lebanon.

> He was often called "America's last great
> asset in the Middle East". He was also a business
> partner with Monzer M.Alkassar and had Alkassar's
> business card in his home for the company, ALKASTRONIC
> located in Austria.

Can you say some more about Monzer? Close to - or part of? - the Assad
heroin clan that runs Syria, right?

Has anybody got a list of Monzer's family connections at their
fingertips that they can post here?

> Spiro's other business associates
> were drug and arms dealer Robert Booth Nichols, Sir
> Denis Kendall who had sat on Winston Churchill's war
> cabinet, savings and loan scam artist Robert Corson
> ,who also abruptly died in November of 1992, and
> Sprio's uncle ToTo -

Wow!

> otherwise known as Salvatore
> Riina, the boss of bosses of the Sicilian Cosa Nostra
> who in 1992 was busy blowing up Italy's bridges and
> monuments in order to kill Italian prosecutors. In
> 1992 Spiro was also trying to peddle the torture,
> killing tape of Wm. Buckley. Spiro's bank was BCCI (the
> bank of crooks and criminals) and it was BCCI that paid
> the McKee team is unsigned travelers checks. When #103
> fell from the sky, manna reigned from heaven.
>
> Monzer M. Alkassar, arms and drug dealer, whose
> dealings go right to the top of the US government.
> Look for Oliver North and George Bush to not ant this
> can of worms open. After all, druggie George Bush Jr.
> had to get his drugs cheaply somewhere. They called
> the supply line "The Enterprise".
>
>These, then, are the players that really sealed the fate of
>the people on Pan Am 103 and the townfolk of Lockerbie. Now
>it should be clear why the US in going after the "bad guy"
>Saddam Hussein and his two little "terrorists"?

Do you have a view on the Chinook helicopter crash near Machrihanish in
Scotland? This crash wiped out a large part of Britain's senior
intelligence echelon in Ireland, and soon afterwards the 'peace process'
came out into the open. It was perhaps the single most important violent
event connected with Northern Ireland since Bloody Sunday in 1972.

I believe the helicopter was brought down deliberately.

Clinton saw the Pope in Rome a day or two before.

Anybody inclined to think that the fact of the Clinton-Wojtyla meeting
is irrelevant should recall the sheer level of importance of the Chinook
crash - the size of the blow that it was to British intelligence in
Ireland.


While we are on the subject of disappearing documents, I will mention
that the French authorities keep losing large collections of documents
planned to be used in the prosecution of Scientologists. This has
happened twice now. Prime minister Jospin recently made a speech saying
this was highly suspicious, probably was not coincidence, and 'France
should be vigilant' against 'infiltration by cults and sects', that kind
of thing. This group is also strong in Germany.
--
banana

Steve Reed

unread,
Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
to
Police notes on the Lockerbie (PA-103) crash could hardly fail to be
material evidence in the trial of Fihmah and Magrahi. I wonder if the
prosecution is about to cry off, saying that, unfortunately, the
notebooks were destroyed "by mistake". The media will then hardly
mention the matter and the impression will be left in the public mind
that the Libyans did it. People will say, "and didn't they stand trial
- in Holland, or somewhere - for their crime?" That, really, is all
that is required from the "official" point of view; but I wonder if this
will satisfy "the Lockerbie families".

In article <nePC3.203$Xj2....@newsr2.u-net.net>, Liberius
<li...@cyprian.uunet.cy> writes

--
Steve Reed

Steve Reed

unread,
Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
to
In article <7rh7ru$cfn$1...@news4.svr.pol.co.uk>, lloyd cole <forjeeps@mels
place.freeserve.co.uk> writes

>The Police took a detailed video of the wreckage and all the contents with
>it, i have seen this video as part of my Fire service Training, i guess that
>these dramatic films would be of far greater evidence than words.
>
>
In some cases certainly - especially where the cause of the disaster is
unclear; but, in this case, there seems to be no doubt about the cause.
A bomb in a suitcase, we are told. The results of explosives being
detonated inside pressurised aircraft in flight would vary according to
their amount and placing, and some idea of this might be gained from the
video. However, the question at issue concerns, not the size or
location of the bomb, but its origin.

In this case, establishing an unbroken evidential sequence between the
discovery of small - even minute - fragments of the bomb-components and
their eventual analysis, is fundamental to verifying provenance.
Without that, the court-exhibits are worthless. Police notes on the
search of the wreckage might well be expected to be part of this
evidential sequence. Their "loss" could lead to acquittal on grounds of
insufficient evidence.

The timing of this announcement (about "lost notebooks") is significant,
I think, because it is just about now that the defence would be
demanding to see them. The prosecution tends to use statements prepared,
by the police, allegedly, from police-notebooks. It remains to be seen,
however, whether the prosecution's failure to produce the usual
supporting documentation, will result in a mis-trial.

However that may be, as long as people only say that "the Libyans got
away with it" (and do not suspect that the extradition of Magrahi and
Fihmah was a sham, to justify, among other things, American oil-
sanctions against Libya) the whole charade will have been a success.

--
Steve Reed

Steve Reed

unread,
Sep 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/14/99
to
In article <UEMMoGAY...@borve.demon.co.uk>, banana <banana@REMOVE_T
HIS.borve.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <1cb3e3d0...@usw-ex0106-043.remarq.com>, posted to
>alt.conspiracy.princess-diana and stamped at '13:36:04' on 'Sun, 12 Sep
>1999', Virginia McCullough <vmccullou...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>>Re: Lockerbie investigative notebooks destroyed.
>>
>>Could it be that this action on the part of Scotish police
>>and Scotland Yard was simply more "smoke and mirrors" I
>>would be willing to guess that the notebooks that were most
>>sensitive and needed to be destroyed were those belonging to
>>the McKee team.

Not that those were the notebooks referred to...

>>It is difficult for any intelligent person to watch this
>>scenario play out over the years and not understanding the
>>connection of the McKee Team to the following people:

In what way was McKee's team connected to these people?

From "In The Name of the State" (1998) by German ex-cabinet Minister,
Andreas von Buelow:

Monzer Al Kassar under Investigation by the BKA (Bundeskriminalamt, i.e.
State Criminal Investigation Department)

The arms- and drugs-businesses of Monzer Al Kassar and his
brothers were brought to light by, among other sources, a BKA report
which its author researched personally and later presented to an
Interpol Conference (Manfred Morstein, "The Godfather of Terror: the
murderous connection between terrorism, drugs and the arms-trade,
17.3.86)

Al Kassar, Monzer's father, who was the Syrian Ambassador to
Pakistan, had already been active in the drugs-trade and his four sons
were quick to follow in his footsteps. Monzer's criminal record begins
with a car-theft, in Italy, which linked him to Badalimento, the then
Boss of the Italian Mafia. Next came a drugs-possession offence, in
Copenhagen, which led to his being deported from Denmark. Then he was
found guilty, in London, of possessing several grams of heroin. After
that, he began his career as an arms-dealer, based in Austria,
specialising in the sale, to the Iranians, of Noricum's "Panzerhaubitze"
["tank-mounted guns", I think]

In Paris, Monzer hired a beautiful woman to carry a diplomatic
bag packed with material for a terrorist attack. However, this lady,
having caught a glimpse of a short-barrelled machine-gun, with silencer,
in the case, got cold feet and went to the French police, who did a
secret search of Al Kassar's house and began to shadow him. According to
their records, the "terror-case" was intended for the murder of an
Israeli diplomat in the Hague. French records also show that, according
to Monzer's diary, he had a meeting with Ottfried Hepp (the German
right-wing extremist) and was involved in supplying weapons to him.
Nevertheless, Al Kassar gave the French the slip, thanks to the sudden
appearance of CIA agents, which he took as a warning. The French courts
sentenced him - in absentia - to several years in prison.

In Germany, the Al Kassar brothers ran a firm, using specially
converted road-tankers, in which drugs and guns could be concealed
within the fluid load. The German police learned of this by tapping a
telephone at a country hotel, at Tegernsee, and recording the
conversation of one of the tanker-drivers who had been found to have
previous convictions for dealing in cannabis-resin. When interviewed,
the driver claimed to be in fear of his life, and, indeed, according to
Hamburg police-records, this man was later found murdered in that city,
and an Israeli newspaper accused Monzer Al Kassan of the crime.

From his fairy-tale residence in Marbella, in Spain, Monzer did
business with South America, sending specially converted luxury cars,
packed with drugs, from Munich, via South America, to various
destinations worldwide. A German woman assisted him, in Marbella, to
make the necessary contacts. Allegedly, Al Kassar was also actively
involved in staging a coup d'etat in Sierra Leone. Monzer and his
brothers did most of their travelling - between Syria, France, Spain,
the Yemen, Germany, Austria and Poland - in the family's own Lear Jet.

During the Cold War, the Al Kassars took advantage of the border
between East and West, to evade surveillance. They would fly out of the
NATO-controlled zone, stop briefly somewhere in the Eastern Bloc and
then fly on to destinations, usually, in the Middle East. In this way,
they were also able to pick up contraband merchandise en route.

Eventually, Monzer failed in an attempt to enter Austria - which
he was banned from entering - while driving in heavy holiday-traffic
through the border from Bavaria, using an alias and a Brazilian
passport. The border-guards, on both sides of the frontier, had been
tipped off about his approach, and he was arrested and held for
questioning, on the grounds that his passport was a forgery.

Al Kassar tried to contact the lawyer Max Strauss, son of the
Bavarian President, to ask him to act for him, but Max Strauss could not
be reached, and a local solicitor was appointed. The police' plan was
to extradite Monzer to France, where an eight-year prison sentence was
already in force against him, but, owing to French politics, this did
not happen. It is said that, as a result of his "mediation", several
French hostages, being held in Lebanon, were released, and that the
French authorities pardoned him for services rendered; but the Bavarian
government also played a part in this.

The Al Kassars were well connected to the family of Hafiz Al
Assad, the President of Syria; and Franz Josef Strauss, President of
Bavaria, had strong political and commercial links with Al Assad and the
Syrian Defence Minister. At any rate, Monzer was released without
charge.

er, Mu'ammar Gadaafi, you mean; but I take your point.

>Do you have a view on the Chinook helicopter crash near Machrihanish in
>Scotland? This crash wiped out a large part of Britain's senior
>intelligence echelon in Ireland, and soon afterwards the 'peace process'
>came out into the open. It was perhaps the single most important violent
>event connected with Northern Ireland since Bloody Sunday in 1972.
>
>I believe the helicopter was brought down deliberately.
>
>Clinton saw the Pope in Rome a day or two before.
>
>Anybody inclined to think that the fact of the Clinton-Wojtyla meeting
>is irrelevant should recall the sheer level of importance of the Chinook
>crash - the size of the blow that it was to British intelligence in
>Ireland.
>
>

And eventually, George Mitchell flies in to take the British surrender.


>
>
>While we are on the subject of disappearing documents, I will mention
>that the French authorities keep losing large collections of documents
>planned to be used in the prosecution of Scientologists. This has
>happened twice now. Prime minister Jospin recently made a speech saying
>this was highly suspicious, probably was not coincidence, and 'France
>should be vigilant' against 'infiltration by cults and sects', that kind
>of thing. This group is also strong in Germany.

On the subject of sinister groups infiltrating the Government Service,
you mean, don't you?
--
Steve Reed

Virginia McCullough

unread,
Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
to
You comments are well taken. But what about the note books
of the McKee team that were being brought home showing the
amounts of heroin and other drugs that had been diverted
from the so-called DIA/DEA "sting" operation? For every
monitored drug shipment there were six times more
unmonitored drug shipments. The McKee team was coming home
to bring the chickens home to roost. These are things that
George Bush Sr. and Jr. did not want to happen. Remember
that the names I named previously in this series of postings
are all "to the right of Attila The Hun". That group of
people can be traced directly back to the JFK assassination
through Garrison's primary grand jury witness, Fred Lee
Crisman (AKA Jon Gold). Look for Gold's book [out of print
and hard to find] "Murder of a City - Tacoma" where he
discusses being called to Garrison's grand jury. Gold also
speaks of the genius of Michael Riconosciuto, then a 13 year
old electronic wiz, busy tapping the phones of the police
and sheriffs' departments because law enforcement was
interrupting his father, Marshall's drug business. Michael
has often described himself to me as a "chicken" to the
CIA's perverted "chicken hawks". As a VERY young man he
accompanied "Dr." John Philip Nichols to Chile to assist in
the assassination of Allende. "Dr." John Philip Nichols was
also a member of the bungling CIA team that repeatedly
attempted to assassinate Fidel Castro. (See index of hard
copy edition of "Inside Job" by Steve Pizzo, et al)

I am pointing out to you that this is "Famalia" - a
generational thing that goes back to "who has always held
the power".

Virginia McCullough

unread,
Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
to
Hi Loyd Cole:

I do not doubt that the police took video of the crash.
However, what about the CIA operatives that came by
helicopter and were on the scene almost immediately removing
briefcases and notebooks. The question that must be
answered to determine that 'pictures speak louder than
words' is "was the police video taken before or after the
CIA thieves arrived?"

I believe videoS are extremely important to Pan Am #103's
demise. One of my very reliable sources tells me that
another video was on board - that of the torture murder of
Wm. Buckley.

It would be greatly appreciated by journalists everywhere
AND the relatives of Gail Spiro if anyone in the chat group
could post everything they might know about the slaughtered
family of Ian and Gail Spiro. Both of these adults might
have long been members of various intelligence agencies.
BUT THEIR THREE CHILDREN WERE INNOCENTS MURDERED IN THEIR
BED IN A 'SAFE HOUSE' IN CALIFORNIA!

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages