Robert Welch on President Eisenhower

ernie5776

Oct 8, 2009, 2:08:07 PM10/8/09
The comments which caused Robert Welch the most grief once they were
revealed in the Summer of 1960 were:

Page 266: "For the sake of honesty, however, I want to confess here
my own conviction that Eisenhower's motivation is more ideological
than opportunistic. Or, to put it bluntly, I personally think that he
has been sympathetic to ultimate Communist aims, realistically willing
to use Communist means to help them achieve their goals, knowingly
accepting and abiding by Communist orders, and consciously serving the
Communist conspiracy, for all of his adult life."

Page 267: "And it seems to me that the explanation of sheer political
opportunism, to account for Eisenhower's Communist-aiding career,
stems merely from a deep-rooted aversion of any American to
recognizing the horrible truth. Most of the doubters, who go all the
way with me except to the final logical conclusion, appear to have no
trouble whatever in suspecting that Milton Eisenhower is an outright
Communist. Yet they draw back from attaching the same suspicion to his
brother, for no other real reason than that one is a professor and the
other a president. While I too think that Milton Eisenhower is a
Communist, and has been for thirty years, this opinion is based
largely on general circumstances of his conduct. But my firm belief
that Dwight Eisenhower is a dedicated, conscious agent of the
Communist conspiracy is based on an accumulation of detailed evidence
so extensive and so palpable that it seems to me to put this
conviction beyond any reasonable doubt."

Page 268: “The Communists can now use all the power and prestige of
the presidency of the United States to implement their plans, just as
fully and even openly as they dare. They have arrived at this point by
three stages. In the first stage, Roosevelt thought he was using the
Communists, to promote his personal ambitions and grandiose schemes.
Of course, instead, the Communists were using him; but without his
knowledge or understanding of his place in their game. In the second
stage, Truman was used by the Communists, with his knowledge and
acquiescence, as the price he consciously paid for their making him
president. In the third stage, in my own firm opinion, the Communists
have one of their own actually in the presidency. For this third man,
Eisenhower, there is only one possible word to describe his purposes
and his actions. That word is treason.”

Scanned copies of these 3 pages may be seen here:

http://ernie1241.googlepages.com/documents

By contrast, three comments by FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover:

“My dear Mr. President:

Many tributes and accolades are being paid you as you leave the
highest office in the land, and although the FBI’s voice in but one of
millions, it nevertheless rings with sincerity and respect.”

“Working under your brilliant leadership for two administrations has
represented to us the fulfillment of many splendid opportunities to
serve the best interests of our great country. Your keen insight and
understanding of the crushing responsibilities faced by the Nation’s
criminal and subversive fighters have made our task easier.”

“I personally am very grateful for your considerable interest in the
FBI and its personnel. The staunchness of the FBI career service is
only as strong as the enduring friendships we make throughout life.
To borrow a phrase, to us you will never ‘fade away’, but will always
remain one of our brighter memories of service to God and country.
With all good wishes…Sincerely, Edgar” [HQ 62-81742, #199; 1/18/61 J.
Edgar Hoover letter to outgoing President Dwight D. Eisenhower]

“I have received your letter dated September 25, 1963. Any rumors you
have heard indicating the FBI has evidence that former President
Dwight D. Eisenhower is a communist are completely false and too
absurd to merit consideration.” [HQ 62-81742, #263 (10/2/63 J. Edgar
Hoover reply to inquiry about Eisenhower]

“Anybody who will allege that General Eisenhower was a Communist agent
has something wrong with him. A lot of people read such allegations
because I get some of the weirdest letters wanting to know whether we
have inquired to find out whether that is true. I have known General
Eisenhower quite well myself and I have found him to be a sound, level-
headed man." [J. Edgar Hoover testimony before Warren Commission,
Volume 5, page 101]

Additional details: http://ernie1241.googlepages.com/jbs-1