Bankrupt Connecticut House passes largest gun control package since Sandy Hook

$53 billion debt can never pay back

May 25, 2023, 9:01:01 PM5/25/23
The Connecticut House of Representatives on Thursday passed the state's
most wide-ranging gun control package since the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary
School shooting. It cleared the chamber in a 96-51 vote.

The bill would ban open carry, limit the number of guns that can be
purchased at once, and further restrict sales of semiautomatic weapons to
persons under 21.

"This bill, like all the bills like it, are slow tyranny," Republican
state Rep. Doug Dubitsky said of the package. "And thankfully, tyranny
cannot outrun the Constitution."

Connecticut lawmakers on Thursday advanced the most wide-ranging package
of gun safety measures since the legislation passed after the 2012 Sandy
Hook school massacre, with proponents noting the state is not "recklessly
retreating" from regulating guns like other states.

The bill, which cleared the Democratic controlled House of Representatives
on a 96-51 vote, bars openly carrying firearms, among other changes. It
comes almost a year after the U.S. Supreme Court said Americans have a
right to carry firearms in public for self-defense. That is in addition to
other recent court actions favoring gun owners. It also comes as
Republican-controlled states are loosening guns laws amid a record-setting
pace for mass killings in the United States.

"As there continues to be mass shooting after mass shooting in our nation,
we look at the other states that are running away from gun restrictions
that are, I would say, recklessly retreating from gun restrictions," said
Rep. Steve Stafstrom, the Democratic co-chairman of the General Assembly's
Judiciary Committee. "In Connecticut, we’re not doing that. We’re going to
continue to lead."

SANDY HOOK 10 YEARS LATER: BIDEN SAYS US SHOULD HAVE 'SOCIETAL GUILT' OVER
GUN VIOLENCE

Nearly half the states have passed legislation addressing guns or school
safety this year, but the division among states continues to widen.
Democratic-led states have enacted new laws to restrict semi-automatic
weapons and expand background checks and waiting periods to buy guns.
Republican-led states have backed the right to carry concealed guns
without permits or for trained staff to bring guns to school.

The bill now needs approval by the Democratic controlled Senate before
this year's legislative session ends June 7. Democratic Gov. Ned Lamont,
who proposed many of the initiatives, praised Thursday's vote and said he
plans to sign the bill into law.

Lamont said new legislation is needed since Sandy Hook, noting the "world
has changed," especially with the advent of untraceable ghost guns. This
latest bill requires the registration of ghost guns manufactured prior to
2019, the year Connecticut lawmakers voted to ban them, yet grandfathered
existing weapons. The proposal also bars the possession of ghost guns that
are neither serialized nor registered.

"All these plastic ghost guns, they are flooding our streets," Lamont told
reporters before the debate. "We see what used to be settled with a fist
are now settled with a plastic ghost gun."

But some Republican lawmakers voiced frustration with having to vote on
another gun control bill, arguing majority Democrats are again targeting
law-abiding gun owners and not the criminals committing most of the gun
violence in Connecticut.

GOP Rep. Cara Pavalock D’Amato, who wore a white T-shirt with images of
handguns and the words "Love guns" under her blazer, said during the
debate that this latest proposal continues the state's pattern of
"chipping away" at the rights of legal gun owners. At four-foot-10-inches
tall, the legislator said she personally relies on a gun to keep herself
and her son safe.

"Having a firearm is my only shot if somebody is coming at me," she said.

Republican Rep. Doug Dubitsky, an attorney, predicted this latest proposal
will ultimately be overturned by the courts for violating both the U.S.
and Connecticut constitutions.

"Courts are stepping in, finally," he said during Thursday's sometimes
emotional debate. "This bill, like all the bills like it, are slow
tyranny. And thankfully, tyranny cannot outrun the Constitution."

CT GOV. LAMONT PROPOSES OPEN CARRY BAN, OTHER GUN RESTRICTIONS

Stafstrom acknowledged last year's U.S. Supreme Court ruling "hangs large
over everything" by limiting states' ability to impose certain
restrictions on guns.

"But things are going to have to track through," said Stafstrom, adding
how there's "nothing in this bill that prohibits somebody from carrying a
firearm outside their home." He said it's still "to be determined" whether
age limits on certain assault rifles will be overturned.

Connecticut's bill would bar the sale, delivery and transfer of more than
three handguns to an individual during a 30-day period. It also would
expand the current prohibition on sales to people under 21 of
semiautomatic rifles with the capacity of greater than five rounds to
include private sales; expand the state's current assault weapon ban to
include other weapons; impose tougher penalties for possession of large-
capacity magazines; and impose new safe-storage rules.

The bill also creates dedicated gun dockets in the courts in major
Connecticut cities; requires someone to obtain a pistol permit or
eligibility certificate to purchase body armor; increases the penalty for
failing to report a lost firearm; and increases the number of family
violence crimes committed that can disqualify someone from obtaining a
gun, among other provisions.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/connecticut-house-passes-largest-gun-
control-package-sandy-hook

Stewart Rhodes

May 26, 2023, 12:56:06 AM5/26/23
>The Connecticut House of Representatives on Thursday passed the state's
>most wide-ranging gun control package since the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary
>School shooting. It cleared the chamber in a 96-51 vote.

I don't get it? Why pass gun laws in Connecticut when all the spree
killers have moved to Texas and Florida because you can buy a gun from a
store and start shooting right away! No permit or training!

Best place ever for mass killers to live in the good ole USA.