USB Bluetooth TRANSMITTER for Desktop/Laptop

Chris K-Man

Jul 23, 2022, 9:01:04 PM7/23/22

I'd like to transmit the audio from my DJ-software equipped
laptop wirelessly to a bluetooth enabled speaker or other
audio system. Does such a device exist?

Paul

Jul 24, 2022, 12:16:49 AM7/24/22
Bluetooth isn't very good. For anything.

But, the transmitter is cheap. This one is $10.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1GK-021W-00009?Item=9SIAPY9EAD1180

I got two transmitters (because transmitters can talk to one another),
and two *monophonic* speakers.

One transmitter can drive my speaker with monophonic signal.
One transmitter is not allowed to drive two monophonic speakers.
Two transmitters cannot drive a monophonic speaker each
(in the ASIO assignable sense).

When plugging in a BT transmitter, it works best if the
BT transmitter (it has an electronic serial number), stays
with one copy of Windows. If you have a desktop named "Mike"
and a desktop named "Sarah", do not move the BT transmitter
back and forth between Mike and Sarah, as Windows will become
confused, and at times the Bluetooth will not identify properly.
Maybe Mikes name will be blank or something.

If BT with serial number #1 is on Mike and BT with serial number #2
is on Sarah, it's best if they stay that way. Now, you can probably
find ways of resetting the PC to correct the side effects, but it's
just a damn nuisance.

I can use "Send To" from a Windows or a Linux menu, and send
a file to a second computer having a BT transmitter. The transfer
rate is *75KB per second*. About as fast as the floppy drive in a PC.
I send tiny text configuration files between machines this way,
whenever "LAN isolating" a PC.

"Send Hello.txt"

BT Tx -----------------> BT Tx
| |
Mike Sarah

BT has the ability to work in parallel with Wifi. Such that BT
can control a sequence, and the datapath can be done over the
Wifi. But again, the rate is low, and there are better ways
on average, to use the same equipment than that.

BT has Profiles. The BT speaker has a profile, a profile that
pretty well all audio hardware supports (say A2DP).

*******

"Anker Soundcore Motion+ Bluetooth Speaker 30W Audio, 12-Hour Playtime" $110

https://www.newegg.com/p/2MA-014H-00085

Qualcomm aptX

aptX is a different profile than A2DP. It is supposed to be better audio
than A2DP, but you might want to find a review to verify that.

Now, the question is, does Windows support that profile in Windows 10
or Windows 11, out of the box. Answer: I don't know.

And that's the beauty of Bluetooth, computer mystery meat,
low bandwidth troublemaker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX

"Starting with Android Oreo and Android 10 respectively, aptX/aptX HD
and aptX adaptive were added to the Android Open Source Project, enabling
every OEM to integrate those standards into their own Android devices freely."

As at least your Android device would appear to have aptX as an output profile.

And aptX is probably about the best you can do for audio on Bluetooth.

*******

There are lots of profiles (means for a sender and a receiver to do something useful).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles

My mono speaker reports that it supports "HandsFree profile" of some
sort. But of course the speaker has no controls for handsfree and
this is purely a side effect of the silicon used. And does not mean
"a speaker can make phone calls". Since it has no microphone, talking
into it would be... difficult.

Paul