How to stop automatic refreshment in Google Chrome?

Lee

Nov 18, 2022, 10:51:03 AM11/18/22
Is there a way to stop automatic refreshment in Google Chrome? This happens sometimes, esp. when I switch tabs or when I first click on Google Chrome after it's been inactive for a while. It can be quite annoying sometimes because I want to be the one who decides when refreshment is appropriate & when it's not. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks.

Paul

Nov 18, 2022, 1:34:15 PM11/18/22
On 11/18/2022 10:51 AM, Lee wrote:
> Is there a way to stop automatic refreshment in Google Chrome? This happens sometimes, esp. when I switch tabs or when I first click on Google Chrome after it's been inactive for a while. It can be quite annoying sometimes because I want to be the one who decides when refreshment is appropriate & when it's not. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks.

There have been incidents, of "runaway" RAM usage on tabs
on more than one browser product (seen in Chrome, Firefox, Seamonkey).

Nobody seemed to be all that interested in characterizing
why this happens. Which suggests a 600 pound gorilla is in
the room, and the participants cannot name-and-shame the
responsible parties. I mean, if the observations around
this problem, suggested "compositing" had been a bad idea,
well, all the browsers do that now, and it would be "un-possible"
to reverse course and remove it.

In any case, one of the lame workarounds, is when a tab
is "idle" or "not on the screen right now", a tab
can be code-wise "unloaded". When you call for the tab
five minutes later, the tab is "reloaded", which of course
leads to refreshment.

You need to find a modern browser which does *not* use
compositing, then repeat your test and see if the
behavior is different. Waterfox ? Waterfox Classic ?
Pale Moon ? Dunno. The more modern Waterfox is likely
to be using compositing. Maybe the Classic is not.

I'm not "browser boy" and my browser fleet is kinda tiny.
I can't do a decent test for this. I don't keep Waterfox
or Pale Moon loaded here. I don't have a modern Opera,
or other junk either.

The problem with booting up older OS environments,
is the web page won't load and there is "nothing to look at".
That's why we cannot outfox these bastards.

Paul